Hunting Royalty

By rlit936

**Completed** Alia de Luca wants revenge. When her best friend is murdered, she swears to find and get even... More

Authors Note
1. Disguises and Discussions
2. Basements and Brothers
3. Charlotte and Coins
4. Dinner and Daggers
5. Terrors and Training
6. Best Friends and Bleeding
7. Goodbyes and Glow Stones
8. Bribing and Brunch
9. Classes and Clara
10. Spells and Spies
11. Social Climbing and Sparring
12. Invites and Intruders
13. Priestess and Pillowtalk
14. Bedfellows and BDSM
15. Apologies and Autumn
16. Drugs and Darkness
17. Maids and Marriage
18. Arguments and Affairs
19. Rejection and Reunions
20. Bedrooms and Bleeding Hearts
21. Leaving and Lists
22. Rumours and Rum Balls
23. Teasing and Tests
24. Dancing and Death
25. Heartbreak and Healing
26. Cleansing and Captive
27. Queen Bee and Questions
29. Violence and Vows
30. Scotch and Stupid
31. Serenades and Scandal
32. Truths and Trade
33. Explanations and Evasions
34. Gifts and Goldsmiths
35. Decapitation and Dates
36. Swimming and Shocks
37. Red-handed and Revelations
38. Fears and Firsts
39. Leaves and Lakes
40. Ominous and Objects
41. Corbane and Combat
42. Cassy and Charms
43. Searches and Stealing
44. Dinner and Dessert
45. Arrows and Accusations
46. Rings and Restraints
47. Boredom and Beliefs
48. Entrances and Evidence
49. Falsehoods and Framed
50. Voting and Verdicts
51. Bracelets and Breakouts
52. Memories and Monsters
Epilogue
Sequel and My Next Project
Ask Me Anything

28. Mothers and Mix-ups

3.2K 203 69
By rlit936

Wooo I've just reaches 50,000 words!!! When I first started writing this story I honestly didn't think I would make it this far and especially in less than a month. In celebration here as another double update! Thank you to all my lovely readers for giving me motivation to keep going, so please keep voting and commenting <3 <3 <3  

"You're not ready," Amelia complains.

I startle out of my daydream; I've been trying to think of a way to deal with Eva. She grabs my arm and drags me from the window seat. "Ow, ow, ow, careful! I still need my arm," she releases me but continues full steam ahead to my wardrobe. She is wearing a skin-tight silver dress that's high in the front wrapping around her neck in a collar and completely backless.

She flicks dress after dress out of her way and she digs deeper and deeper into the racks. "No, no, no...Yes perfect!" I see a swath of dark blue as she flings the dress in my face. I struggle out from underneath the dress just in time to see Amelia leave.

"I thought this was just a casual dinner," the dress she has given me is one of my sexiest dinner dresses. It's skin tight to mid-thigh before flaring out around my feet. The satin material is overlaid with a navy lace, beaded with small crystals. It cuts in a deep v in the front, showing off some cleavage. It rises to a small cap sleeve before dipping into a deeper v in the back.

Amelia is rooting around on my vanity, knocking over perfumes and scattering my hairpins. "Where do you keep your jewelry?" she starts opening draws and pulls out a few ribbons, scattering them on the floor like colorful confetti.

"You'd make an awful ladies maid," I remark as she continues to disorganize my things. She shoots me an irritated look and I sigh, "Follow me."

I show her to the other side of my dressing room, the room is paneled in white painted wood and carved with small flowers. I feed a small amount of my magic into a specific flower, I press the center and the panel pops open along with the one next to it. I swing open the panels reveling the four-panel wide jewelry display. I installed it myself and it only responds to my magic signature.

"That is more like it," Amelia browses though my jewelry while I get changed. In the end, she chooses a simple sapphire and diamond necklace and earring set, "There, elegant and effortlessly sexy."

"What is really going on tonight? Are we even going to your house?" I'm extremely confused about why I need to be 'elegant and sexy' for dinner with her parents.

"Of course we are," her voice is high pitch and I'm even more suspicious. I stare her down, "Ok don't be mad, but a friend of mine is having a party afterwards, I think you could use some fun."

"What do you mean? I have fun," I frown trying to remember the last time I did something for fun. Ok, maybe she has a point.

"I just think you could let go a little, I know you've been having some troubles with Nate," she looks down and avoids eye contact, she knows I don't like to talk about him.

I sigh and give in, I really need to talk to someone about this. "I don't know what's bothering him, he's not talking to me anymore; ever since the ball it's just been different. I miss him," I whisper the last words like a confession.

"Nate cares about you, it's obvious to everyone. Just talk to him or give him some time, he'll come to his senses," she gives me a reassuring squeeze on my shoulder,  "Let's go mopey." She throws the portal down with a flourish and waves her left hand towards it.

I step though the blue mist is a cold caress against my skin before I reappear in a sitting room. "Mom, we're here!" Amelia calls out

Duchess Southerland strides into the room. "You girls look beautiful," she kisses Amelia and hugs her before holding her arms out to me. "Welcome Alia," she hugs me, "You can call me Carol."

"Thank you for inviting me," I say as Carol leads me into the dining room.

Thomas, Amelia's father and her younger brother, Tristan, join us and we sit down for dinner. Thomas is the strong silent type, but the few words he say's to the women in his life are filled with adoration, "How's school, darling?"

"History is the bane of my life, but my enchantments are really improving," Amelia replies, Thomas nods his head and cuts his lamb, I wonder if he ever smiles.

"How about you Alia?" Carol redirects the question at me.

"Really good, I'm learning a lot," mostly about my enemies.

"That's an understatement, Alia's in an advanced spell casting class," Amelia adds as she cuts her food into tiny pieces before daintily placing it in her mouth.

"That's great. I hear your dating Prince Nathaniel as well and that it is getting pretty serious," Carol says smiling tightly.

"We've been courting for a while," I smile a little self-consciously.

"Understating again, they are already talking dowries," Amelia makes fun of me.

I roll my eyes but when I look at Carol her expression has frozen. She looks really uncomfortable; she clears her throat, "Aren't you a little young to be thinking about marriage?"

"Mom, three girls in our class are already married, besides it always takes ages for them to plan those huge royal weddings," Amelia tries to reason with her mother.

"I know but how old are you Alia, you must be only twenty?" Carol seems really bothered by this.

"Um yes," I lie because I get the feeling she is really troubled by the idea of me marrying young so I give myself an extra two years.

I hoped my answer would make her feel better but she looks even more distressed. She tries to smile but it looks pained. She's silent for the rest of dinner, Amelia and I chat about the party later to fill the silence.

After we finish eating Carol corners me,  "Alia, do you think we could have a private word?"

"Sure," I agree but I have a feeling I might regret it. Carol makes our excuses and heads for the door, Amelia raises a questioning eyebrow, I just shrug.

I follow her to a private study; I hear her cast a privacy spell. Whatever she wants to talk about must be important. She turns to face me, "You need to break up with Nate."

I'm flabbergasted. "No," I scrunch up my face in distaste, things aren't good between us at the moment but I'm not going to break up with him because she tells me to.

"Please just trust me, you cannot marry him," she pleads with me, I can tell that this is important to her for some reason.

"I'm sorry, but that isn't a good enough reason for me," I have no interest in continuing this conversation, I turn and stride towards the door, I have my fingers wrapped around the handle when she interrupts me.

"Nate is your brother," she blurts out.

I freeze.

It's impossible.

I feel dizzy.

I press my hand to my stomach; I'm going to be sick.

No, she's crazy. There is no way she can know that.

"How?" I whisper against the door.

"Your mother was one of my best friends, she wrote me a letter. She explained how Charles de Luca was going to claim the king's child as his own. I'm sorry."  

I take a deep breath and turn to face her, "Can I see the letter?"

"Sure wait here, I'll fetch it," she rubs my shoulder on her way out the door.

I sink into a chair and huff out a breath. I was falling in love with him. This cannot be happening. I rub my fingers into my temple before burying my face in my hands. I feel...I feel so blindsided; I can't even comprehend what this means.

The king is my father, and Nate is my half-brother. No, no, no, it can't be true.

Carol returns and slides the letter into my lap. The letter is creased and yellowing slightly. I unfold the letter.

Dear Car,

I want you to know that I'm ok, more than ok; I'm happy. I've met the most amazing man; his name is Charles de Luca. We're getting married next week!  I wish that you could be there, I know we promised that we would be each other's maids of honor but I know it's impossible after everything that's happened. Charles has agreed to give my baby his name and protection, I know he will love it like his own, that's the kind of man he is. I know one day you will find someone just as special.  I entrust you with this; the care of my biggest secret. Hold on to this letter as proof in case you ever need it.

Your best friend always,

Marie

I run my fingers over my mother's name, I've never seen her handwriting but I recognize it.

"Marie?" I ask for confirmation.

"A nickname, most knew her as Annemarie Baudelaire," I close my eyes at Carol's words. I finally know my mother's name. She didn't completely abandon me, she is M.

"I know this is a lot to take in, Marie faked her death not long after her ascension. She never said exactly why, only that it was a sacrifice she had to make for the greater good of the kingdom. High priestesses can be so dramatic," she smiles as she remembers her, I wish I knew her too.

"It's not me," I check the date on the letter again, that's why she wanted to know my age.

"What?" her eyes widen.

"It's my older brother Kayden, not me. I'm only 18. Kayden is the kings son and Nate's half brother," I'm relieved but also nervous; I have to find a way to tell Kayden. Why did father never say anything?

"Oh, well, I guess I overreacted a little," Carol rearranges her skirt and avoids eye contact. "I'll give you a moment to collect your thoughts," as she passes my chair she places a hand on my shoulder and squeezes, just like Amelia did earlier.

I see a decanter of amber liquid and some crystal glasses. I pour myself a finger and throw it back. I cover my mouth with my other hand, it burns the whole way down and makes my eyes water. It warms my chest for the inside. I feel slightly better so I pour another this time taking smaller sips.

Annemarie is my mother. I don't know much about her other than she was a high priestess and was engaged to the king. Then apparently, she got pregnant, faked her death, ran off to Davenport, married my father, had two kids, ran off again never to be heard from; barring some helpful notes.

What on earth did she see to justify all that? What kind of person is she? Where is she now, what has she been doing since she left us? God, I have so many questions.

My thoughts move to Nate; I feel better knowing that I haven't been doing incestuous things with my half-brother. It's still weird. Sharing a sibling with Nate is weird. I'd have to lie to him. I admit, I haven't been completely honest with him but this is different; I'd be hiding his brother.

I toss back the rest of my drink for courage; it burns a little less this time. I place the glass on the side table and root around in my purse for a portal charm, I always carry a few spares.

"Hey, what was that about?" I'm so out of it that I didn't even notice Amelia has come to find me.

"Just some more stuff about Nate, I think I'm going to go talk to him. I'll just be a hour, meet you back here?" I ask as I stand and collect my things.

"Sure, go get your man," she swats me on the ass and giggles.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79.5K 3.4K 31
You either become brilliant, or you get killed. When Alyssa was invited to a boarding school to learn magic, she was expecting something out of a Har...
12.4K 1K 73
In a world where demons are the primary enemies, there was a girl born in a kingdom where light doesn't exist. However, she has no any idea about her...
720 325 34
"Being a bastard son you have to make tough decisions, I had to make tough decisions, but they were all for her. Always for her." ~Eli "I trusted him...
17.4K 922 29
My eyes finally adjusted and I got a good look at the guy. Holy shit, he was HOT. He rivaled Lazarus, and that's saying a lot. He might even be mor...