Hunting Royalty

Oleh rlit936

**Completed** Alia de Luca wants revenge. When her best friend is murdered, she swears to find and get even... Lebih Banyak

Authors Note
1. Disguises and Discussions
3. Charlotte and Coins
4. Dinner and Daggers
5. Terrors and Training
6. Best Friends and Bleeding
7. Goodbyes and Glow Stones
8. Bribing and Brunch
9. Classes and Clara
10. Spells and Spies
11. Social Climbing and Sparring
12. Invites and Intruders
13. Priestess and Pillowtalk
14. Bedfellows and BDSM
15. Apologies and Autumn
16. Drugs and Darkness
17. Maids and Marriage
18. Arguments and Affairs
19. Rejection and Reunions
20. Bedrooms and Bleeding Hearts
21. Leaving and Lists
22. Rumours and Rum Balls
23. Teasing and Tests
24. Dancing and Death
25. Heartbreak and Healing
26. Cleansing and Captive
27. Queen Bee and Questions
28. Mothers and Mix-ups
29. Violence and Vows
30. Scotch and Stupid
31. Serenades and Scandal
32. Truths and Trade
33. Explanations and Evasions
34. Gifts and Goldsmiths
35. Decapitation and Dates
36. Swimming and Shocks
37. Red-handed and Revelations
38. Fears and Firsts
39. Leaves and Lakes
40. Ominous and Objects
41. Corbane and Combat
42. Cassy and Charms
43. Searches and Stealing
44. Dinner and Dessert
45. Arrows and Accusations
46. Rings and Restraints
47. Boredom and Beliefs
48. Entrances and Evidence
49. Falsehoods and Framed
50. Voting and Verdicts
51. Bracelets and Breakouts
52. Memories and Monsters
Epilogue
Sequel and My Next Project
Ask Me Anything

2. Basements and Brothers

6.5K 327 23
Oleh rlit936

This chapter is dedicated to my first ever commenter strawberry9090.  Your words meant so much to me that I've decided to update early.  I hope you enjoy!!!

I hold my acceptance letter in one hand so I can use it as a reference to mark the dates on my calendar. There is just under a month before the academy begins and I need to get everything ready before then. I finally perfected the disguising spell, to change my hair and eye color, yesterday but I still have a few other spells I need to work on.

I spent most of yesterday on a spell to communicate with my father and brother more efficiently over long distances.

I glance at the two palm sized mirrors that lay abandoned on the other side of my desk. I've been experimenting with combining a linking spell with a portal spell. In theory, I would place a note on top of the first mirror then activate in and name the recipient, the note would then travel through the mirror and reappear on the second mirror.

I gave up on them late last night after the note reappeared burnt and completely illegible for the twenty third time. I can't seem to figure out how to stop it from catching fire and getting completely singed when it is transported.

I've been wandering around my room aimlessly picking up things and generally procrastinating as I wait for inspiration to strike. I grab my journal from my side table and collapse into the bed, I roll onto my back and prop my head up with a pillow. I hold the ribbon between my thumb and fingers and pull it to open it to the right page.

Poof.

The soft sound of the letter magically appearing right before my face causes me to blink in surprise. I sigh longingly, I wish I could do a spell as complex as that, my sad attempt at portal mirrors seems even more pathetic now.

I glance around the room once, just to make sure no maids are nearby, before opening it.

Go shopping in the capital. A list of stores and items is enclosed.

-M

I toss my journal aside and shuffle off the bed before walking across the thick carpet towards the fireplace. I take a taper off the mantle and hold the small flame to the corner of the letter, when the fire begins licking its way along the side, I drop it into the fireplace.

I tuck the list of items into a pocket hidden in the folds of my skirts and head out the door. I take quick steps down the halls but it still takes ages, it's times like this that I wish I had my brother's Gift.

I finally burst into my father's office. "I need to buy a new wardrobe," I announce.

He peers up from the paperwork he is reading at his desk. "Didn't I just buy you those new dresses?" he says gesturing to the one I'm wearing.

"Yes, but these are from Davenport. I need to get some from the capital, something in fashion," I try to convince him.

"Is this really necessary?" he says.  

"For the plan? Yes," I say looking him in the eye, "I need to look richer than everyone else."

"You are richer than everyone else," he says seriously. I think it's times like this that he really feels out of his depth having to raise a girl all by himself. He really doesn't seem to understand dresses and girl power struggles.

"But they need to see it, not just hear it," I say. I can feel that I'm starting to wear him down. 

I watch as he puts his papers aside and rubs his left temple. "Fine, how much?" he concedes.

"Um..." I hesitate not knowing how far to push.

"That much?" he says raising an eyebrow. "Very well. Take what you need." He reaches into his pocket and withdraws a key.

"Thank you, father," I say smiling at my small victory. He slides the key across his desk and I reach for it.

"Alia," he says in a low voice just before my fingers touch the key. I look up nervous that he's changed his mind. He smiles, "Have fun, sweetheart." I smile back before snatching the key and skipping out of the room.

I head down a few more hallways avoiding the maids and footmen. I enter an empty room which is set up as a formal sitting room. We never use it and its always deserted, however it's one of the few entrances to the hidden passageways. I walk to the back of the room and reach behind the frame of a large painting. I find the latch and it clicks open. I glace around once more before slipping into the passage and closing it behind me.

I'm immediately smothered by darkness. I reach out to the wall and slide my hand along until I find what I'm looking for. My fingers close around a smooth handle and I lift the torch from the wall. I place the palm of my other hand on the top and feel the cool stone. I whisper a spell and the glow stone illuminates lighting the narrow passage.

I head left down the passage until I reach a spiral staircase. I descend a few flights of stairs until I reach the bottom level. The passageways are supposed to be secret but I have a feeling that a few of the servants have come across an entrance by accident when cleaning. Nobody but our immediate family knows about the basement.

I reach down and fight the layers of my skirt to lift my hem up enough to slide the dagger strapped to my thigh out of its holster. I look at the blank stone wall in front of me and search the wall for a small circular hole. Its barely noticeable among all the other defects but I've been here more than a few times and know where to look.

I use the tip of the dagger to cut my index finger before sliding it into the hole to activate the enchantment. I quickly slide it back out as the stones I'm standing on begin to descend. I wait a few seconds as the stone platform sinks beneath the earth and to the basement. I step off the stone and it immediately rises back into position.

I feel a tickle of awareness race up my spine as I realize that I'm not alone. I hear the soft scrape of gravel on stone as the intruder steps towards me. In one quick motion, I change the grip on my dagger, turn and throw it at my target. I don't hear the tell-tale thud of impact or groan of pain but I know the dagger was on target.

The man steps into the ring of light my glow-stone torch has created. "Careful little sis, no throwing knives in the house," he says with a smirk as he hands back my dagger.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"A little birdie told me to meet you," he says holding up a similar letter to the one I received.

"Should've known," I say as I brush past him heading towards the vault.

It's dark and the air is stale but I love the architecture down here. I touch a nearby panel and glow stones fixed to the ceiling illuminate the space. The ceiling is domed with large thick pillars between each dome connecting it to the floor. There are too many rooms down here to name all, but they hold the majority of our wealth and all the family secrets.

The west wing also has a basement level, it's separate to the east basement because it holds the cells but I can't recall it ever being in use. I walk past over twenty locked doors before reaching the main vault.

I tuck my dagger back under my skirt and withdraw the key from my pocket and insert it into the lock. Unlike a regular lock and key this one is enchanted. The vault door is protected by layers of spells and can only be opened if the key is in the lock. There is a hum of magic as the enchantments are neutralized before the vault swings open.

The space inside is wider and longer than the torch could illuminate. I know from experience that there are rows and rows of shelves at the back, stacked to the top with gold bars. To the right is a large display case holding thousands of raw and cut gemstones. They are stored in hundreds of clear compartments each ordered and labelled with type, cut, clarity, color and size. Father sometimes prefers to pay in valuable gems since they are easier to carry and conceal than large amounts of gold.

In front and to the left are the parts that we use most often as it contains different sized chests filled to the brim with gold coins. I walk over to a shelf holding some of the smaller chests and pick one that I can carry under one arm. I carry it back to Kayden, who is still hanging out by the entrance before thrusting it into his arms "Make yourself useful," I say as he grunts under the sudden weight.

"What do you need so much blasted gold for?" he asks as he follows me out of the vault.

I remove the key and tuck it back in my pocket before responding. "I'm going shopping in the capital, feel like carrying more things?"

"Pass. You know we have servants for that kind of thing," he says patronizingly.

"I just thought you could use it," I say with a shrug. Kayden shoots me a questioning look and I elaborate. "Looks like you're losing some definition," I say with mock seriousness and poke his bicep.

He sends me an outraged look before it twists into a smirk. "No need to lie. If you need your big, strong brother to protect you in the scary world you can just say please," he replies with humor.

"I can protect myself just fine. Training tomorrow?" I offer and see him nod in my periphery.

We reach the stone elevator and both pile on. I stick my finger back into the enchanted hole. There's enough blood still on my finger that the stone rises and returns us back to the hidden passageway. We travel single file though the passage since it's so narrow but instead of heading back to the sitting room we ascend another floor and exit into my bedroom.

My bedroom suite consists of and main relaxed lounge and adjoining study. Leading off the lounge is my bedchamber as well as a bathroom, dressing room and wardrobe. Neither of my maids are present so our surprise entrance goes unnoticed. I walk over the bell pull by the bed and ring for my maid while Kayden drops the chest down on the coffee table in the lounge.

"Why don't we meet in Harwood Square around six and go get dinner?" Kayden offers.

"Sure, by the fountain?" I reply wondering about his change in attitude.

"Yeah and we can go to that place with cute waitress?" he says with his signature smirk.

"Harley's." I say as the puzzle piece fits into place. I should have known he was more interested in some girl that spending time with me.

A soft knock interrupts our conversation. "You rang, miss?" Charlotte chimes in.

"Yes, I'm heading into the capital for some shopping I'll need a carriage and two footmen to accompany us. We're leaving in fifteen minutes," I inform her.

"Of course, miss," Charlotte says before ducking back out of the room.

"See you later," Kayden says as her follows her though the door.

I quickly check my reflection in the full-length mirror in my dressing room. A few of my curls had fallen lose, probably when I threw that dagger, but I pin them back up. I close my eyes and focus before casting the disguising spell, when I open them my hair and eye color are different. I add a little rouge to my lips and smudge out the corner of my eye with kohl. Transformation complete.

"Your carriage is ready miss." Charlotte says from behind me.

I turn and face her. "Thank you." I pick up the gold chest then head out the door and towards the front entrance. I hear Charlotte's footsteps as she keeps pace behind me.

Waiting on the driveway is the horse drawn carriage. The driver spots me and clambers up to his perch on the front while one of the other footmen takes the chest from me and puts it into the carriage for me. I walk out in front of the horses and thrown down a portal crystal, a pale blue shimmer of smoke grows from the spot the crystal shattered until it's over a few meters wide and tall.

The footman is waiting beside the carriage steps, he hands me in and then Charlotte before closing the door behind us. I settle the chest between Charlotte and I as the carriage begins to roll forward. I feel a sight coldness as we pass through the portal and into the narrow mountain pass.

The carriage momentarily halts as the footmen cast a second portal for us to pass through before we resume our journey. I pull back the lace curtains to glace at the outskirts of the capital and feel a sense of anticipation fill me. 

A/N

I hope you are enjoying my book so far.

What other family secrets are hidden in the basement?

What do you think will happen on her trip to the capital?

Thanks for commenting and voting!!!

Enjoy my lovelies <3      <- (I like how this Love Lies, I think it is appropriate)

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

117 41 18
"In a tale of betrayal and vengeance, orchestrates a devastating betrayal that shatters the protagonist's life. Left for dead and fueled by rage, th...
82.6K 5.4K 46
1st PLACE in the UNICORN AWARDS! On the anniversary of her best friends disappearance, Lyra is ready to accept the inevitability of his death. But wh...
2.8K 582 113
Students come from around the world to attend four specialized and prestigious schools - The Kings' Alliance Royal Academies. They are the future of...
348K 10.9K 80
When vengeance strikes in the form of a bullet out for the princess's blood, Princess Aleia VonAuclair must flee the heart of her country in order to...