When Love Walked In

By MyJewel12

Imagine having to go through something so horrifying that no one thought you could ever be the same. Then som... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45

Chapter 41

1.1K 48 1
By MyJewel12

Chapter 41

"This is going to be your best birthday yet. I promise." Damien had such a warm and happy expression on his face.

"T-thank you..." I said misty eyed.

"No tears." He brushed his fingers across my cheek. "Unless they're joyful ones but I want to see you smile."

I chuckled, letting the tears fall, but for different reasons.

"I got a lot of surprises planned for you today. I'll be back to pick you up later tonight." He gave me a quick kiss before pulling back. "Okay?"

I nodded.

He grinned, catching me by surprise with another peck on the lips. "I love you."

I swallowed. "I love you too," I whispered.

_____________________________

I tucked the top of a dress under my chin and let its length flow down my frame as I turned side to side in the mirror. After pairing different dresses with shoes and necklaces, I finally settled on an earth green emerald dress with some hints of sparkle and a pair of black heels. The dress was long sleeve, the scooped neckline showing the barest of skin, with a tight waist that flowed out into waves right above my knees. The back was adorned in a lace pattern that covered my skin in a sheet of sparkly web. The heels weren't that high, nor were they thick, a single strap around the ankle. I brushed my hair and curled it into smooth waves.

I wore a gold necklace embedded with little diamonds and found the ring Damien had given me the last time we saw each other stashed away at the very bottom of my jewelry box. I slid it onto my finger and swallowed back tears, clenching my fingers into a tight fist.

There was a knock at the door. "Hey." Gustavo peeked his head around the frame before walking in. "You look beautiful." He smiled at me.

I gave a faint smile back.

We were both silent, the sound of jewels tinkering as I rummaged through my jewelry box like chimes in a window on a breezy day. "You can tell me anything, you know that," Gustavo said. The weight of his gaze felt heavy on me, and I twisted the ring on me finger to steady myself.

I nodded. "I know." My voice sounded small and I cleared my throat.

I heard his footsteps approaching and I turned around as he enveloped me in a tight hug, his arms going around my frame, pulling me close to his warmth. I savored this moment of familiarness, even as he pulled away, keeping his arm wrapped around my waist. "A big happy birthday from me to you and allow me to be the first to give you your present." He reached into the inside pocket of his suit to pull out a small package wrapped in shiny wrapping paper and a pink bow.

"Thank you Gustavo." I was smiling and trying to block out tears with laughs. I gently ripped open the clean packaging and tossed it aside to find the most gorgeous pair of leaf shaped earrings tucked inside a small box. "They're so beautiful!" I gasped. For a moment, all of my worries were buried at the back of my mind.

Gustavo nodded proudly. "Would you believe that they're real leaves?"

"No way," I said in disbelief.

He nodded again. "Yes way. I forgot the exact details but they're preserved in gold or something and able to retain their natural color. It's so cool."

"They're amazing. Where did you get them?"

He shrugged. "A friend of a friend owns this designer store that specializes in jewelry and other things. I saw them and thought of you."

"Thank you Gustavo. They're beautiful." I paused for a moment. "They didn't cost you a lot, did they?"

He shrugged again but looked everywhere but at me.

"You really didn't have to Gustavo..."

"Hey. Money doesn't matter. Seeing that look on your face does." He brought me in for a hug. "...Are you going to tell me what's happens these past few days?"

Just like that, reality came crashing back. My grip loosened on his shirt and I pulled away.

"Please Amber," he pleaded with me. " We can can get though this. You just have to let me in."

"I'm going to see Damien later." I ignored his questions, and his watchful gaze. "He wants to take me out for my birthday. It's probably best if... I end things tonight."

"You're ...joking. You're not actually serious," Gustavo said in disbelief.

I smiled sadly. "It's better this way."

He grabbed my shoulders and forced me to look at him. "Better for who exactly?"

I was startled by the look in his eyes. "B-better for everyone."

"What kind of lies is he feeding you?"

"Gustav—"

"I'm going to teach that—" he spouted some curse words as he lunged for the door.

"Gustavo no!" I panicked, pulling him back with as much strength as I could muster. " you can't!"

"I know something's up and you're not telling me."

"Why can't you just let this go?"

"Because I love you and I only want what's best for you."

And then I made one of the biggest mistakes I would regret for as long as I live. "If you really loved me, you would trust me when I say this is what's best for everyone."

A look crossed his face and I saw a glimmer of hurt reflect in his widened eyes before he took a step back. He put his hands up and hunched his shoulders before letting them relax.

"Gustavo, wait—I didn't mean—" I started to say.

"No, no, you're right. I trust you." I could see him closing up, shrugging away from me and any attempts to save me. I could feel my resolve crumbling at his lonely tone. But this was what I wanted, is what I tried to tell myself.

"If... you're sure you're alright... then..." His words trailed off like a balloon snatched by the wind, floating high up into the sky.

I gave him a half-convincing smile and nodded.

He stared at me for a few moments before pulling me in for a hug, his arms wrapped tightly around my waist. I laid my cheek against his shoulder and closed my eyes, swallowing back tears.

Are you sure about this?

Gustavo's words were a constant ringing inside my head. Was I sure about this? A part of me still wasn't. But I was afraid. Not of Ky but rather what would happen if he laid out the truth for everyone to know. I was ashamed. Ashamed of what happened to me. Ashamed of what I did. Ashamed of who I became that night; what everyone would see when they heard the truth.

Sometimes I couldn't help but wonder if the people I loved were frightened by me. Even to this day. It's scary to lay yourself bare for the whole world to see. To tell them the horrors you lived, and continue to live.

And when I think that there may be other girls out there who have experienced the same nightmares, if not worse, but are constantly painted as the wrong-doer makes my pain hurt even more.

There are all kinds of pains experienced in this world. But this is one that leaves no scars visible except to the one who was wronged. They are the only ones who can see them and they are the ones who have to live with them.

Please forgive me!! I'm so sorry for this late update and I'm sorry if it's not as long as I promised or as good as you had hoped for. We're coming down to the wire and I'm trying to end this novel so I can present to you guys a finished product and continue with the sequel. I feel as if I keep stretching the chapters and leaving you guys in suspense but sometimes the book writes itself and I'm just the assistant.

:D

Hats it for this chapter, I hope you guys liked it. Please vote and/or comment! An big thank you to recent voters, commenters, followers and everyone who has added this book to their reading lists. Some reading lists have quite strange but hilarious titles and I spend the rest of the day trying to think why they added my book to that specific reading list but no worries!

See you guys in the next chapter!

P.S. If any of you guys are really good at making covers, please send me any if you have the time! I'm looking to get a cover for the next book but I can't think of a nice cover... I'm still trying to pick a good name but if you have any pictures you think would work nicely, leave a comment or message me! You guys can also find me in twitter if you want to chat or ask about future updates and projects. It's on my profile. Thanks again!! ❤️

Here's another different picture of Amber's dress.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38K 2.4K 39
An angry senior grieving the absence of a best friend navigates a blended family and finds hope in first love. Kareena hates everything. Freya is lo...
1.2M 25.2K 99
Lia I'm a sucker for romance, especially romance in novels because let's be honest, love like that doesn't exist in reality. Yet, he makes me feel a...
3K 81 12
And then our lips touched, slightly but the feeling makes sparks fly. I felt the lump in my throat go away as he wrapped his arm around my waist, pul...
14.9K 607 76
"I Promise To Protect You From Any Danger We May Face Because I Love You" ...