Divergent High: Starting Over

Por books_have_feelings

Beatrice "Tris" Prior gets some unexpected and exciting news from her parents: she's moving to Chicago! She c... Más

Starting Over
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Sequel!!!
It's up!!!!

Chapter 36

595 5 1
Por books_have_feelings

Tobias's POV

The alarm on my phone wakes me up, and I get up out of bed. I go into my bathroom and take a quick shower. I wrap a towel around my waist and walk into my closet. I pick out a light blue t-shirt and some black jeans, and I change into them. I throw my new black leather jacket on and slip on my grey Converse. I grab my stuff, walk downstairs, and sit down at the kitchen table.

"Good morning, Tobias," Dad says.

"Morning, Dad," I say. He sets down a plate with bacon and scrambled eggs on it.

"Thanks." I start eating, and Dad sits down to join me.

"Is everything going ok?" he asks.

"Yeah," I answer. "Tris and I are doing great, and my friends haven't been  better."

"Well. That's good. I'm glad that you're life is looking up, son," he says.

"Yeah. Me too," I reply. I finish eating my breakfast and grab my car keys.

"Bye, Dad."

"Bye, Tobias." I walk out to my car, get in, and drive to Tris's house. I walk up to her door and ring the doorbell. Tris answers it, and she looks amazing with that flannel around her waist.

"Hey, Tobias," she says. I love the way she says my name.

"Hey, Tris," I reply, and she hugs me.

"You ready to go?"

"Yeah," she says, and we both get into my car. I start it up and drive us to school. We split up to go to our lockers and meet at Tris's locker.

"Last night was amazing," Tris starts. "Thank you for all of it."

"No problem," I say. "I love doing these things for you. Big and little. As long as you know that I love you." I pull her closer to me, and she wraps her delicate little arms around my neck.

"Tobias. You don't have to do things to show you that you love me. I already know that you love me. And I love you too," she tells me and kisses me. We both smile when we pull away from the kiss. Man. I love this girl.

"Sometimes people just need a reminder." She laughs.

"Well," she says. "If kissing me is a reminder, then I don't care if you remind me." Well. Maybe I will. I start leaning in to kiss her again, but the bell cuts me off by ringing. We both sigh.

"I'm expecting that reminder later," she tells me, and I laugh.

"Bye," I say.

"Bye." She waves, and I watch her walk off to her first class. I walk to my class and sit down in the back. Mrs.Johnson starts teaching, but I don't really pay attention. My mind wanders off, and I start thinking about Tris.

I love her so much. I really hope that we will stay together after high school. Hopefully, we'll make it work. Hopefully, we'll go somewhere and be together. Because I can't lose her. Not again. She's my everything. My world. My love. She's the one that got me out of my 'my-mom-that-beat-me-said-I'm-a-nothing-so-that-must-be-true' stage.

She makes me feel like I deserve to be here; she makes me feel like my mom was wrong all of those years.

---------------page break--------------

The bell rings, dismissing me from class, and I walk to the cafeteria. I walk through the line, grab my food, and sit down beside Tris whose already eating.

"Do you still want that reminder?" I ask her, and she laughs.

"Of course I do," she replies, and I kiss her. I start eating my food, and we all eat in silence for a little while. Then Will breaks it.

"Have you guys ever wondered what it would be like if something happened to us?" he asks. Where did that come from?

"No. Why?" Zeke asks.

"I don't know. Last night I had a dream where one of us died, and the rest of us were miserable. When I woke up, I couldn't get my mind off of it. What would be going through our minds if that actually happened? Would we be sad, depressed, miserable? Or would we be angry, hateful, suicidal? Would we hate the world or just hate being on it? All of these questions have been going through my mind all day, and they're killing me," Will explains to all of us. Oh no. It's happening again. This cannot happen again.

"Will. You don't have to worry so much," Marlene assures him.

"I can't help it," he says. "These thoughts and questions won't leave my mind. I feel like it's some kind of sign. Like something's gonna happen to one of us. I just wish it would leave my head." He puts his head in his hands. No. No. He can't have another sign. Not now. Not with us.

"Hey," Christina whispers and grabs Will's face. "Calm down, Will. It's ok." She kisses him, and he calms himself down enough.

"Has he done this before?" Tris asks me.

"Once. It doesn't happen often. But once he had a dram about his great grandma dying, and he was freaking out over that. Then his great grandma actually I died," I tell her. I really hope this doesn't happen.

"What?!" Tris shrieks.

"Yeah. We don't need to freak out. But we need to be careful. Something could happen to one of us," I say. Let's hope I'm right.

"Ok," she says.

I really hope nothing happens to any of us. I love all of my friends. Even if some of them are stupid *cough* Zeke *cough* Uriah *cough*. I still love them all. Even if some of them are obsessed with shopping and very annoying sometimes. Like Christina, Shauna, and Marlene. I love every single one of them. Even Will with his boring facts and his know-it-all personality.

And Tris. Tris can't get hurt. Nothing can happen to her. She's already went through so much; she can't go through anymore. That means I have to protect her. No matter what Ross or Peter told me. I have to protect her. I will protect her. Because I can't lose her again. I can't lose any of my friends.

The bell rings, and I throw my trash away. Christina helps Will up and walks him out of the cafeteria to their next class. He's really shaken up. Tris grabs my hand, and we walk to music class. We sit down, and Tori walks in when the bell rings.

"Hello, class. Do we have any volunteers to do a duet?" Tori asks, and Tris raises her and my hand. What is she doing?

"We will," Tris says.

"Ok. Tris and Four will be up first. Anyone else?"

"What are we going to sing?" I ask Tris.

"I was thinking Little Talks," she suggests.

"Ok. Little Talks it is," I say. I actually love that song. It sounds depressing, but I love it.

"Four. Tris. You guys are up," Tori says, and we both go up on the little stage. We grab the mikes up there and start the music.

(Tris)
I don't like walking around this old and empty house
(Me)
So hold my hand I'll walk with you my dear (I grab Tris's hand here)
(Tris)
The stairs creak as I sleep; it's keeping me awake
(Me)
It's the house telling you to close your eyes
(Tris)
Some days I can't even dress myself
(Me)
It's killing me to see you this way
(Both)
And though the truth may vary this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore
(Tris)
There's an old voice in my head that's holding me back
(Me)
Well tell her that I miss our little talks
(Tris)
Soon it will be over and buried with our past
(Me)
We used to play outside when we were young and full of life and full of love
(Tris)
Some days I don't know if I am wrong or right
(Me)
It's your mind playing tricks on you my dear
(Both)
And though the truth may vary this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore
Don't listen to a word I say (hey)
The screams all sound the same (hey)
And though the truth may vary this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore
(Music)
(Both)
You're gone, gone, gone away; I watched you disappear
All that's left is the ghost of you
We're torn, torn, torn apart; there's nothing we can do
Just let me go; we'll meet again soon
Now wait, wait, wait for me; please hang around
I'll see you when I fall asleep
Don't listen to a word I say (hey)
The screams all sound the same (hey)
(Tris)
And though the truth may vary this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore
(Me)
And though the truth may vary this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore
(Both)
And though the truth may vary this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore

The song ends, and everybody claps for us. I see Tris smile, and then she hugs me. Out of nowhere, the blaring intercom comes on.

"LOCKDOWN. LOCKDOWN. THIS IS NOT A DRILL. I REPEAT. LOCKDOWN. LOCKDOWN. THIS IS NOT A DRILL."

"Everybody. Go into your lockdown places! Come on! Go to your lockdown places!" Tori whisper-yells at us. She gets everything ready to hide us from whatever's going on.

Tris turns to me with fear in her eyes, and I pull her behind the curtain stage. That's where we always go for drills. Except now it's not a drill. I sit down in the corner and pull Tris into my lap. I can tell she's afraid. She lays her head on my chest, and I wrap my arms around her. I lay my head on hers and rub her arms trying to keep her calm.

We sit there for awhile, nothing happening. And then, BANG. I jump a little, and Tris covers her mouth with her hand, trying to keep herself from screaming. I can't imagine what's going through her head right now. Especially with everything that's happened to her. I watch her close her eyes, and her silent tears fall onto my shirt. Her tears keep coming faster and faster. She ends up burying her face in my shirt and clinging to me, trying to get away from her fear.

After a couple of minutes of complete silence, the intercom comes back in. I really hope it's safe.

"Everything is under control. We are safe. You may now go home early. Please be safe."

Tris finally looks up at me, and I help her up off of the floor. We walk over to Tori who is at her desk with her head in her hands. Oh no. This can't be good.

"Tori," Tris finally says. "What happened?"

"A student got shot," she replies, and Tris and I both gasp.

"Do you know who it was?" I ask with dread in my stomach.

"Yes," she says and looks up at us. "It was Will Cross."

"Will? He got shot?" Tris sinks to her knees, and I drop down next to her to wrap my arms around her.

"Tris," I whisper in her ear. "It's ok."

"No, it's not. Will got shot, Tobias. His dream was a sign. He got hurt. I just got my friends; I can't lose one of them now," she says, barely above a whisper and starts crying. I pull her closer to me and look up at Tori.

"Is.... Is.... Is he dead?" I ask her with tears pricking the back of my eyes.

"No," she says, and it feels like a weight has been lifted off my chest. "They've transferred him to Chicago Hospital."

"Thank you," I say and pick Tris up off of the ground.

"Four," Tori says just as I'm about to leave.

"I hope he's ok. I'm sorry," she says.

"I hope he is too. And thanks." I carry Tris and go to both of our locker to get our stuff. I then carry Tris and our stuff to my car. I set Tris down in the passenger seat, our bags in the back seat, and I get in on the driver's side.

"Tris," I say, and she looks up at me with a few frozen tears in her eyes.

"We are going to the hospital. The rest of the gang is going to be there. Ok?"

"Ok," she whispers. Her voice sounds so small right now. I start the car and start driving to the hospital.

I really hope Will is ok. He's been one of my best friends since I was like four. And yes, that's how I got the nickname Four. Because I met Zeke, Uriah, and Will when I was four, and they kept my depression away. They kept me sane while my mother was beating me.

She beat me because I was what she called "an ugly child". If only she would have been an actual mother, then she could see me now, handsome and with a girlfriend. Instead she has to see concrete walls and bars of a jail cell. She always loved my brother though. He was a saint compared to me.

Anyway, I can't lose Will. I love him even though he's annoying sometimes. I wonder how Christina feels right now. Will is her boyfriend, and I know that she loves him. There's no way she could handle him if she didn't love him. I really hope she's ok. I really hope he's ok. I really hope that all of us will be ok after this.

I enter the hospital parking lot and park in the closest spot I can find to the hospital. We get out of the car, Tris grabs my hand, and we walk into the hospital. We find our way into the waiting room where everyone is. They all have tears in their fear-filled eyes, and they're all around Christina who is crying her eyes out. I don't blame her.

"Christina," Tris says, and Christina looks up at her.

"Tris," she says and runs straight into her arms. I guess best friends are some of the best people to help you through the hard times. Tris hugs her tight and let's her cry.

I walk over to where Zeke is sitting and sit down beside him.

"Hey. You doing ok?" I ask.

"I don't know, man. Sure, Will's a know-it-all, but I still love him. I mean we've all been through so much together," he says, and I nod my head.

"I know," I say and hug him. "So. Do you know what happened?"

"Yeah," he starts. "Christina was on her way to her car, she got permission from the teacher to get her homework, and Will was on his way to the science building when a shooter showed up in front of Christina. When the shooter shot at Christina, Will jumped in front of her and took the bullet."

"Wow. He saved her," I say.

"Yeah. That's what I would have done if it was Shauna," he replies.

"And that's what I would have done if it was Tris. I guess that love's a sacrifice sometimes."

"Yep," he sighs.

I watch Will's parents enter and go into Will's room I'm guessing. Tris sits down beside me. I grab her hand, and she squeezes mine.

"Do you know what exactly happened?" Tris asks.

"Well," I say. "Christina got permission to go to her car to get her homework she left there. And Will was walking to the school's science lab building. A shooter showed up right in front of Christina while she was walking to her car. Will saw him, and when the shooter shot at Christina, Will jumped in front of her and took the bullet."

"Oh my gosh. That's why Christina thinks that it's her fault. She feels like if she wasn't out there, then Will wouldn't be in the hospital," she tells me.

"Yeah. I feel bad for her. She really loves Will. I hate to see her like this," I reply.

"Are Will's parents here?" she asks.

"Yeah. They're in the room with him." She nods.

We both stay quiet and let our thoughts take over our minds. I hope Will's parents are ok. Their son just got shot. At school. His favorite place to be. They must be losing their minds. I would if I had a son and that happened. I would be falling apart probably. I really wish the doctor would hurry up and tell us what's happening. Is it good news? Is it bad news? Is it half and half?

The doctor walks into the waiting room, and we all stand up.

"Are all of you Will Cross's friends?" the doctor asks.

"Yes."

"Well. It's a miracle. The bullet missed his heart, and he's doing fine. It will take him a long time to recover and heal, but he's going to make it. You guys can go in there to see him. Just not all at once," he explains to us. Thank goodness he's going to be ok.

"Thank you," Shauna replies, and the doctor walks off while looking at his clipboard.

"Christina," Tris says softly and touches her arm. "Do you want to go first, or last, or with Four and I?"

"Can I go with you and Four?" she asks in a small voice. Wow. She's never sounded this afraid before. She's really hurting.

"Of course. You guys can go in first. We'll go next," Tris says to the rest of the gang. They nod their heads and walk into Will's room. Tris holds Christina close to her and soothes her while we wait for the gang to come out. When they come out, Tris looks down at Christina.

"Are you ready?"

"Yeah," she says after taking a deep breath.

All three of us walk into the room, and I see Will laying in the hospital bed. He has bandages wrapped around his chest where the bullet hit, and he looks really pale.

"Will," Christina says, and Will looks up at her.

"Christina," he says, and she runs over to him. He grabs her face, and she moves part of his hair out of his face so she can see one of his eyes.

"Will." Tears are streaming down her face. "You took a bullet for me. You could have gotten killed."

"I would do anything for you, Christina. I love you. I don't want you to get hurt," he says. You can here the love in both of their voices.

"I love you too, Will," she replies and kisses him. She sits down in a chair and holds his hand.

"Hey, Will," Tris says.

"Hey, buddy," I say.

"Hey, Tris. Hey, Four," he says, and Tris walks over to him.

"You better be careful. I just got you as a friend. I can't lose you. I can't lose any of you guys," she explains.

"And I can't lose you yet. So you be careful too," Will says, and Tris smiles. She hugs him and stands beside Christina.

"You scared me, Will," I tell him as I walk up to him. "You've been one of my best friends since I was four. And then I found out you were shot." I pause. "But I get why you did it. If that was Tris out there, I would have done the same thing."

I give him a hug, and I walk over to Tris.

"You ready to go?" I ask. "Will needs his rest."

"Yeah," Tris replies. "Christina. You coming?"

"No. I'm going to stay here with Will," she says.

"Ok."

"See you two later," I tell them.

"Bye."

"Bye."

Tris and I walk out of Will's room and find the gang in the waiting room.

"Christina's going to stay with Will. So we can go," I explain. The all nod their heads, and we walk out to our cars to go home. Tris and I get into my car, and I start driving to her house.

"Would you really die for me?" Tris suddenly asks.

"Of course I would, Tris. I love you. I would rather die than you get hurt," I tell her.

"And I would rather die than see you get hurt," she replies.

"Well. Let's hope that we never have to come to that," I say.

I drive the rest of the way to her house in silence. But it's a silence that doesn't make your heart break. It's a silence that warms your heart. I park in the driveway and turn to face her.

"Well. Today wasn't too great," I tell her.

"No," she agrees. "It wasn't."

"Maybe it will be better tomorrow," I say.

"Let's hope."

"That's all we can do sometimes."

"Yeah," she says. "I love you, Tobias."

"I love you too, Tris," I say.

"Bye."

"Bye." She kisses me, hugs me, and gets out of my car. I watch her walk inside and then drive to my house. I get out of my car and walk into my house. I find Dad in the kitchen, and I sit down at the table.

"Hey, Tobias. Were you at Tris's house?" Dad asks.

"No. I was at the hospital," I tell him, and he sits down at the table with the food.

"Why were you at the hospital?" he asks, full of concern.

"There was a shooting at school, and Will got shot," I answer. 

"Oh lord. Is he alright?" he asks. He cares about Will as much as he does me. Will, Zeke, and Uriah are like his sons too.

"Yeah. It's actually a miracle. The bullet just missed his heart. It will take him awhile to recover, but he's going to be ok," I explain.

"Well. That's good," he says. "I'll call his parents after dinner to tell them that I'm praying for them."

"Ok."

We both eat our dinner, making small talk as we do. After we eat, I put all of the dishes in the sink and wash them while Dad goes to call Will's parents. When I'm done washing the sishes, I go up to my room.

I do the little homework I have and then read a book until I decided to go to bed. I change into a pair of sweatpants, brush my teeth, turn off the lights, and crawl under the covers.

I really hope that Will is going to be ok.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

621K 14K 41
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
684K 33.8K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...
682K 14.6K 38
Highest rankings: #1 in Dauntless #1 in Factions #1 in Jai #1 in Divergent #1 in Eric [Previously "What She Felt"] Karoliina Parconn was never one...
2.3M 117K 65
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...