Just The Girl (under editing)

By 123rawrXD

This is the story of Rosie Harper, a 17 year old who's moved to a new town with her family. She's a shy, nerd... More

Just The Girl
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six - Flirtatious Friends
Chapter Seven - Just Another Day At High School
Chapter Eight - Close Calls
Chapter Nine - Josh's Smile
Chapter Eleven - Tears and Music
Chapter Twelve - Dress Shopping
Chapter Thirteen - Wedding Bells
Chapter Fourteen - Important Announcements
Chapter Fifteen - His Intoxication
Chapter Sixteen - Go And Ruin Everything
Chapter Seventeen - When I Look At You
Chapter Eighteen - Sing Me A Love Song
Chapter Nineteen - Mood Swings
Chapter Twenty - Bloody Monday
Chapter Twenty One - Head Over Heals
Chapter Twenty Two - Meet The Parents
Chapter Twenty Three - Whoops
Chapter Twenty Four - The Old Josh
Chapter Twenty Five - The New Home Ec Teacher
Chapter Twenty Six - Birthday Shopping
Chapter Twenty Seven - A Party Gone Wrong
Chapter Twenty Eight - Boys Will Be Boys
Chapter Twenty Nine - The Return Of The Closet Whore
Chapter Thirty - Anger, Rage and Some More Anger
Chapter Thirty One - Crashing The Mall
Chapter Thirty Two - A Chat With The Counsellor
Chapter Thirty Three - Our Unconventional First Date
Chapter Thirty Four - Embarrassment
Chapter Thirty Five - Slumber Party
Chapter Thirty Six - Josh, It's Sasha
Chapter Thirty Seven - A Nightmare Come True?
Chapter Thirty Eight - Rock Bottom
Chapter Thirty Nine - Beep Beep
Chapter Forty - More than Chocolate Cake?
Chapter Forty One - The Big Game
Chapter Forty Two - Jingle Bells
Chapter Forty Three - A Visiter
Chapter Forty For - Sorry For Party Rock'n
Chapter Forty Five - Happy New Years
Chapter Forty Six - Stacey's Mom
Chapter Forty Seven - When The Truth Comes Out
Chapter Forty Eight - Love, Hate & Heartbreak
Chapter Forty Nine - Moving On
Chapter Fifty - Family Reunion?
Chapter Fifty One - Let's Make Cookies
Chapter Fifty Two - He needs you, We need you
Chapter Fifty Three - Home
Chapter Fifty Four - Back to Normal
Chapter Fifty Five - Bye
Chapter Fifty Five - I need you
Chapter Fifty Six - Changes
Chapter Fifty Seven - Yes
Chapter Fifty Eight - Nothing but Love
Chapter Fifty Nine - Funeral
Chapter Sixty - Prologue

Chapter Ten - Hockey Lessons

3K 27 4
By 123rawrXD

Josh's P.O.V

I do not like Rosie...I do not like Rosie...I do not like Rosie...I do not like Rosie...I do not like-

I sighed, running a hand through my hair and closing my eyes.

Maybe if I keep telling myself that, I'll start to believe it.

Leaning against my car, I waited, looking around the parking lot for Rosie.

I hope she didn't forget she had to come over today, or that I was giving her a ride.

I even made the guys find their own way home since otherwise there would be no room for her, plus they clearly make her uncomfortable.

Most people were already away home by now and the parking lot was slowly but surely clearing out.

She must have forgotten. I took one last glance around, not seeing her, before sighing and pushing myself up off of the side of the car.

Just as I was about to get in, a very out of breath Rosie appeared by my side, her little pink cheeks not standing out so much on her face red from running.

Jeez this girl is such a...girl.

''Not one for running?'' I joked.

She scowled at me, standing awkwardly with her wait on her right leg, hands interlocked in front of her.

I smirked at her, already knowing the reaction I was going to get.

She blushed, biting her bottom lip ever so slightly as her gaze fell to her feet, staring down at her little pink converse.

Just to humour her, I dropped my gaze too, smiling when I saw how little her feet were in her dainty little pink shoes compared to my boots.

I mentally slapped myself.

Get a grip Josh.

I do not like Rosie...I do not like Rosie...

''You coming?'' I said, pulling open the passenger side door for her and waiting for her to get in.

I surprised myself. I'm never that...gentlemanly.

Whatever.

She smiled slightly, not enough to even be noticed if you weren't looking, but for some reason...I was.

I took her bag, and along with mine placed them in the back seat of the car.

I shut the door behind her, walking back around to the drivers side and climbing in.

Shit, I wish I at least cleaned the car a little bit...

There was crap everywhere in this car. I'm messy enough on my own, but considering three other guys are in here all the time, my car is...disgusting.

It was really blowy today, so I put the hood up.

Rosie didn't seem like the kind to worry about her hair all that much, but I was still being considerate.

She sat stock still, all limbs on her small body set in perfect right angles as she sat strait forward, keeping her gaze firmly on the road.

Jeez, do I really make her that uncomfortable?

Okay, this silence is awkward...

I put on the radio, twisting the small knob until I found Kerrang!. I was not listening to some random pop shit.

Yeah, so maybe I wasn't so considerate towards Rosie about the music, but there's only so much a guy can handle in one day.

Thirty Seconds to Mars came on, a cover of 'Bad Romance' by Lady Gaga. It would do, better than silence.

I just thanked god that we only lived like ten minutes from the school, driving.

Okay, that was officially, the most uncomfortable ten minutes of my life...EVER.

Shutting off the engine, I walked ahead of Rosie to the front door, unlocking it and walking inside.

I could feel Rosie walking just behind me as I entered the kitchen in search of my Mom.

She was sitting at the breakfast bar with Sasha, dressed and obviously ready to leave for work.

''Hi kids, how was school?'' she asked us.

''Fine.'' I answered nonchalantly, walking strait to the fridge to get a drink.

''Okay thank you.'' Rosie said, in her polite and proper little voice. God, how does she do that? Being polite is just a hassle...and annoying.

''That's good.'' Mom said, smiling as she stood up and lifted her brief case.

''Well, I'm off for work.'' she told us, kissing Sasha on the forehead, smiling at Rosie and I once more and walking out of the kitchen.

I heard the front door open and close, before it was just the three of us, and the awkwardness returned.

Sasha was busy concentrating on some squiggles she was drawing, while Rosie watched her with an adoring smile on her face. Yeah, you don't get much cuter than Sasha.

''What you drawing Sash?'' I asked her.

''You.'' she grinned.

''Me?'' I laughed, stepping closer to get a better look.

''Yeah!'' she held up her paper, grinning proudly at me.

I smiled as I looked at it, she clearly wasn't the best at drawing yet and I could only just about make out a person in the midst of her scribbling, with spiky black hair.

Rosie giggled. ''It looks just like you.''

''I know right?'' I laughed.

Sasha beamed at us, obviously pleased with the outcome as she set her page back down and held out her arms to me.

I grinned down at her, pulling her out of her high chair and balancing her on my hip.

''So what are we doing today Sasha?'' Rosie asked her.

Sasha shrugged slightly, wrapping her small arms around my neck and snuggling into my shoulder.

''I dunno.'' she told Rosie.

''Well, how 'bout ponies?'' Rosie suggested.

Sasha nodded eagerly, shaking around in my arms. I smiled down at her, setting her on her feet so she could go get her ponies. Damn she was cute.

She stumbled out of the kitchen, her little feet slapping against the stone tiled floor as she ran into the family room with a goofy smile on her face.

How a child can be so entertained by a pony will always be a mystery to me.

Rosie laughed, following after her and into the family room.

I watched as she sat down on the floor in front of Sasha, joining in the nonsense and playing with the ponies.

Rosie was really good with Sasha.

Smiling, I set my drink down on the counter and pulled my phone out of my back pocket, checking to see if I had any messages.

1 new message from: Craig

I groaned.

We're on our way over – Craig

What?!

Since when did I say they could come over?

I sighed.

Typical Craig.

I shoved my phone back into my pocket and lifted my drink again, rolling my eyes. What did I really expect though? I did kick them out of my car last minute and tell them they had to make their own way home.

Just as the cold rim of the bottle met my lips, the door bell rang, ringing through the house.

Here we go.

Setting my drink back down again, I left the kitchen, walking past Rosie and Sasha on my way to the front door.

Rosie looked at me curiously, but I paid her no attention as I pulled open the door, revealing Zack, Liam, and a very pissed off looking Craig.

I stared at him flatly, not in the mood for one of his tantrums just because he had to find his own way home. He has his own car, he should use it.

He rolled his eyes, surrendering to our staring contest and barging in, the others following close behind.

Typical!

I swear if they make Rosie uncomfortable again today, I am KICKING them out.

I grumbled to myself, following them into the family room and shooting an apologetic smile in Rosie's direction.

Her body seemed a little stiffer than before and she scooted herself as far away from us as possible. I didn't blame her, she's too innocent to be around us, especially Craig with his comments and touchy feely hands. I get laid more than him, but he wants it more. You can clearly see this in our attitudes.

''Hey Rosie.'' Liam smiled. Wow, that wasn't flirtatious at all, it was actually pretty friendly.

''Hi.'' Zack said.

Craig smiled at her, nodding in greeting.

Then I remembered the little chat I had with them about how they were treating her...maybe that actually worked?!

Wow, I was honestly expecting them to laugh in my face and ignore me...I guess I did go pretty ape shit on Craig when he slapped her ass...

I shook my head, whatever the reason is, I'm glad.

''Hi.'' Rosie said, smiling back a little relieved. She seemed ever so slightly confused, but hey, at least we didn't have to worry about her screaming rape any time soon.

Rosie's P.O.V

Okay...why the hell were Josh's friends being nice to me all of a sudden...like, friendly kinda nice, not flirtatious or pervy like they normally are?

Whatever, as long as I don't get touched again, I'm not complaining. Oh, or get flirted with, that's just weird.

Josh sat down, looking a bit confused himself but non the less pleased. I wonder what about? Wow, he looks cute when he's confused...he looks cute all the time...

OH MY GOD ROSIE STOP IT!

I shook my head, looking back down at Sasha who was obliviously playing with her ponies, making little hoarse noises as she shook them up and down, making them trot across the carpet or pretending to feed them.

She was adorable!

''How's it going Sash?'' Zack asked Sasha.

She grinned at him. ''Good!''

''That's good.'' he said, smiling fondly at her. Awk, it was nice how Josh's friends acted around Sasha compared to everywhere else. And it was adorable how brotherly Josh was to her compared to every one else. He was so cute!

Oh god I really need to stop that.

The boys chatted for a while, surprisingly including me in their conversations. This was weird, but I kinda appreciated not having to sit there in an awkward silence.

Josh's friends were actually pretty cool once you start to talk to them. As long as you can get past the flirtatious, sexual and inappropriate comments, they're a pretty fun gang.

I found myself laughing with them, actually enjoying myself.

And I loved it.

I've never had friends before, so it was a really new experience for me, in a good way though. The atmosphere was so comforable and welcoming, fun even. Their personalities really contrast their appearances, I mean, they look rough and unapproachable, but really, they're actually pretty friendly.

''Hey, the games on!'' Liam said suddenly.

What game...?

Josh grabbed the remote and flicked the TV on, hopping though the channels until he found what he was looking for.

Oh great, hockey...AGAIN.

I have no idea how to play hockey, so I really don't get what's happening. I mean, people chase some black thing along the ice and hit it, but like, what's the point? What's the aim of this game? Seriously, it just seems like a waste of time to me.

I stared at the TV for a minute or two, uninterested, before turning back to Sasha again since the boys had effectively ended out conversation.

''Time for bed Sasha.'' I told her. She smiled sleepily up at me, holding out her arms for me to lift her up.

Looks like someone's too tired to walk to bed...

I smiled, picking her up and carrying her up the stairs and into her room.

I tucked her in, leaving on her night light before walking back downstairs again. What do I do now...?

I sighed, looks like I'm just gonna have to sit in there and be bored again. I plunked myself back down on the floor, balancing my cheek in my hand, my elbow on my knee.

With my other hand, my fingers drummed the floor in boredom as I stared into space.

Suddenly, the boys exploded. Like, jumped up and screamed exploded, causing me to have a miniature heart attack and let out a little yelp.

They stopped what they were doing, staring at me curiously as I stared back in shock. What the hell was that?

''Don't you not know what just happened?'' Craig asked me.

I shook my head, my eyes still wide.

He rolled his eyes, turning to Josh.

''Dude, I was actually starting to like her too.'' he shook his head, like he was disappointed and sat back down.

I turned to Josh, giving him a questioning stare. He laughed at Craig.

''You're so immature.'' he told him, sitting back down again.

The others agreed, sitting back down also, but not before giving me one last disbelieving glance.

''Um...What happened?''

''They just won the National Hockey League!'' Craig exclaimed, exasperated.

''Oh...Kay?'' I said. Yeah, that made total sense.

''Tell me you know what that is?'' Zack said, wide eyes as he stared at me curiously.

I shook my head.

''OH MY GOD!'' Craig, Zack and Liam exclaimed. Josh just smirked, shaking his head at me.

''She's a girl, of course she doesn't.'' he told them.

''What's that supposed to mean?!'' I questioned. His smirk grew wider.

''Exactly what it sounds like.''

I glared at him.

''Do you even know how to play hockey?'' Liam asked me.

''No.'' I told him, crossing my arms over my chest in a child like manner.

He sighed.

''Looks like we're gonna have to teach you then aren't we?''

My eyes almost bulged out of my head.

''What?!''

''You heard me! We were actually starting to like you, but we can't be friends with someone who doesn't even know how to play hockey.'' he joked.

I smiled. ''You're wasting your time.''

''Nope, Josh is a really good teacher.'' Craig told me, sending an evil looking smirk in Josh's direction.

''Hey, who said I was even willing?'' he asked Craig, smiling.

''I did.'' Craig answered simply, standing up and leaving the room, obviously to go get something.

Josh smiled and shook his head, turning his attention back to me.

''Do you know anything about hockey?''

''Nope.'' I grinned. He shook his head again, flicking the channel back to the hockey and began to point things out.

''Right, well you can clearly see you use the stick and shoot the puck into the net right?''

''Shoot the what?'' my eyebrows furrowed as I stared at the big TV in search of a 'puck'.

He sighed, running a hand through his hair.

''The black thing.'' he told me, looking at me as if I was stupid.

''Oh.'' I nodded my head, now knowing what he was talking about.

''Two teams, six players each, five from each team skate up and down to steal the puck and score a goal and the goalie tries to stop the puck from going in the net.''

As he told me, I tried my best to follow, but got a little lost. I got the gist of it though, just about enough to understand what he was saying. The others pitched in every so often with the occasional helpful comment, and I learned that the boys played hockey together for a team close to here.

Liam was goalie for their team, while the others played up front...or whatever you would call them.

Craig came back in sometime during Josh's explaining of the game, but I paid him no attention, too interested in what Josh had to say.

I don't think I've ever heard him talk to much before, he obviously really liked hockey, and was enjoying explaining it to me as much as I was enjoying learning about his passion.

God he was amazing...

And ya know what? I'm not even gonna yell at myself for admitting that.

''Okay, I think I get it.'' I nodded once he was done explaining.

''Good.'' he smiled, turning back around like nothing had happened.

''Oh no, I don't think so.'' Craig announced.

We all looked at him again, curious as to what he had to say.

No way...

Why?!

In his hand, he held a freaking hockey stick. What the heck?!

Come on!

He held it out to me, nodding at it expectantly.

I shook my head.

''Come on! You've learned the theory, now you gotta do it for yourself.''

Josh laughed. ''Craig, leave her alone.''

''I don't know what you're laughing at, you have to show her.'' Craig warned.

Josh rolled his eyes. ''Craig man, come on. It's all right telling her what's happening in the game so she can watch it with us, but you don't need to attack her with a hockey stick.''

I laughed, holding out my hand. ''Sure, why not?''

Craig grinned mischievously, thrusting it closer to me.

Josh's P.O.V

Rosie clutched the hockey stick in her small hand, holding it awkwardly out in front of her and staring at it curiously, as if trying to figure out for herself how she should hold it. I stifled a laugh.

Rosie was so clueless sometimes.

''Here.'' I said, standing up and walking over to her. She smiled up at me, waiting for my help.

Okay, so if I'm gonna show her how to do this, I may as well do it properly...

Hesitating for only a second, I stood behind her, placing a hand on each of her hips and positioning her body so that she was standing right, before placing my hands over hers and showing her how to hold it.

And I'd be damned if I said I didn't enjoy it.

Biting her bottom lip ever so slightly, she followed my instructions, her body moving with mine until she was positioned properly.

I was surprised that she actually wanted to learn what happened in hockey, she seemed really interested, concentrating carefully on my every word.

''Okay, so just swing back...'' I told her, moving her arms in a swinging motion backwards, ''And then let go.'' before pushing them forward again.

She beamed. ''I did it!''

I laughed. ''Yeah, you did.''

She seemed to have realised something, her eyes widened and she blushed profusely, taking a stumbling step back.

Oh right, I get it.

The guys were watching us curiously, but I paid them no attention as I realised what just happened and sat back down again.

Way to make a dick out of yourself and get rejected Josh.

Fuck.

Rosie sat back down on the ground, crossing her legs again as she ran her fingers through her shiny hair and stared at the ground.

Craig cleared his throat, catching my attention.

''What?'' I mouthed to him. He held his hands up defensively and turned his attention back to the TV. Liam and Zack seemed to be looking anywhere but me so I ignored them and looked away.

Mom came home, stumbling through the door, arms full of work shit.

THANK GOD!

''Oh, hello boys!'' she greeted.

''Hey Mrs D.'' the guys greeted.

Mom put her stuff in the kitchen before coming in and joining us in the family room.

''Well Rosie? How was Sasha tonight?'' Mom asked her.

Rosie seemed relieved as she told Mom that Sasha was perfect as always, and that everything had gone fine.

Mom was pleased, as per usual when she hears Sasha was well behaved (which is all the time) and she said her thanks to Rosie.

''Well, I'm gonna go now.'' Rosie told Mom, obviously trying not to look at me.

Fuck! Why does that even bother me?!

''Okay Rosie, have a good night.'' Mom said.

''Thanks, you too.''

And then she was gone.

Mom said she was going to make herself some dinner and check on Sasha, so she left me and the guys alone with the promise to be back soon.

Not that I cared.

Craig turned to me as soon as Mom had left.

''What?'' I asked him, wary of his questioning, cocky smirk.

''You like her, don't you?''

My eyes widened.

''Who!?''

''Rosie.'' Liam and Zack pitched in at the same time.

''What are you talking about!? Of course I don't!''

''Uh hu.'' Liam said, nodding his head but obviously not believing me.

Zack laughed. ''Josh likes a dork!''

''Fuck off!'' told him.

Craig spoke up. ''Seriously though, you do don't you?'' I was surprised by his tone, it didn't seem judgemental at all, nor did it seem mocking. He seemed genuinely curious as he smiled at me proudly.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusing and my eyes narrowed.

He rolled his eyes.

''I know what your thinking.'' he told me. ''She's actually pretty cool. Seriously no judgement.''

I hesitated.

Shit.

''Oh my god, he actually does like her. Look he's blushing! He likes her!'' Liam exclaimed.

''Would you shut the fuck up!'' I yelled, throwing a pillow at him, unable to fight the smile on my face.

''Fuck, you really do don't you!?'' Zack asked.

I blushed. Yes, I blushed.

''Yes.''

All three of them burst into fits of hysterical laughter as I glared at them. What happened to no judgement?!

They sobered up once they noticed my deathly glare.

Craig broke the silence.

''Call off the bet?''

Fuck, I haven't even thought about that bet lately. Seriously, not once did it even cross my mind. Fair enough, at first, it was all about the bet, she was a quick fuck and fifty bucks...but recently...that I've actually started to see her as a person, all that just didn't matter.

Shit, I sound like a girl.

''Yeah.'' I nodded. I was actually pretty grateful that Craig was being considerate about that. There's no way I was gonna go through with that bet now. Besides, even if I didn't care about her, it would be physically impossible. The girl's ready to scream rape if you even look at her too long. How in god's name was I supposed to fuck her?

Conversation resumed as if nothing had happened, and it was then that I realised I actually have some pretty decent friends. No ridicule, no judgement. Maybe a bit of teasing here and there, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Mom came back in again, looking at her watch before turning to the guys.

''Boys, don't you think it's about time you were going home?''

I looked at my watch. Wow, it was later than I thought.

''What time is it?'' Zack asked.

''Ten past Twelve.'' I told him.

''Shit!'' he shouted, shoving his phone and stuff in his pocket as he ran towards the door. ''My Mom's gonna kill me!'' I laughed, shaking my head.

For a bad ass, he wasn't exactly rebellious.

Craig and Liam snickered, following him out the door, shouting their goodbyes over their shoulders.

Mom turned to me.

''Josh, your cousin Derek is getting married this weekend, we've been invited to the reception afterwards.'' she smiled.

''Oh cool, I didn't know he got engaged.'' I said.

''Well, this whole thing's been a bit spur of the moment and last minute, but yes he is now engaged to Ashley.'' Mom told me, smiling excitedly and proudly. I knew why too.

She was proud of her nephew, because he found himself a respectable girl to spend the rest of his life wi-

''Now listen Josh, I want you to find yourself a respectable girl to bring with you this weekend. Not a tarty one like you usual have hanging off your arm. Okay?''

I glared at her.

Why does she have to ruin my mood? AND I DO NOT HAVE GIRLS HANGING OFF MY ARM. I ditch them long before that happens.

''Whatever Mom.'' I sighed, standing up.

''Josh wait a second.'' she said, sounding remorseful.

I turned to look at her.

''I'm sorry sweetheart, it's just that I want you to look good in front of your cousins. You know how they like to show off like their better than us.''

I nodded my head. ''Yeah I know Mom.'' I forced a smile, to make her feel better. Even though inside, she just made me feel like shit.

She smiled back, relieved.

''Who are you going to take then?'' she asked me.

''Dunno.'' I told her, turning back around to leave.

''I recommend Rosie.'' she suggested.

I froze.

Was she serious?

Turning back around again I stared at her questioningly, an eyebrow raised.

She laughed. ''Don't look so scared! It makes you look good, she's pretty, but respectable, PLUS she can help me with Sasha.''

I thought about it for a second.

''I guess.'' I eventually nodded reluctantly.

Looks like I'm bringing Rosie then...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

309K 10.8K 52
*this is a boyxboy story* *it's also an au. explanation will be in the first part* After a year of taking online classes, Nolan Prince is read...
12.8K 677 29
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/615226 iTunes: http://my.w.tt/UiNb/jBhSUM5O6q ________________________________________ There's a fi...
2.7M 72.7K 40
"You okay there, partner?" he chuckled. Our bodies were centimeters away from touching so I took a step back. A fatal mistake, which caused my back t...
21.6K 1K 30
How tricky is it if instead of a bad boy, there's an artist? And what if instead of a shy and nerdy girl, there's a harsh and bitter young woman? Fa...