The Power within Innocence

By Midnight_Lilac

* THIS IS A COPYRIGHTED STORY OF MINE, MIDNIGHT_LILAC, PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD. IF YOU FIND IT ON ANY OTHER WEBS... More

COPYRIGHT
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Moving
Chapter 2 - Hanei Town
Chapter 3 - Settling in
Chapter 4 - First Meeting
Chapter 5 - Innocent Greeting
Chapter 6 - Missing Home
Chapter 7 - Birthday party
Chapter 8 - Surprise Visit!
Chapter 9 - Family Time
Chapter 10 - The Prince and the Tree God
Chapter 11 - Importance
Chapter 12 - Request
Chapter 13 - Gentleness
Chapter 14 - A Ray of Hope
Chapter 15 - True Feelings
Chapter 16 - Innocent Love
Chapter 17 - Realization
Chapter 19 - Trap
Chapter 20 - Agreement
Chapter 21 - Hope
Chapter 22 - Seeing You Again
Chapter 23 - Trusting in Love
Chapter 24 - Encouragement
Chapter 25 - Magical Wedding
Chapter 26 - Overcoming Obstacles
Chapter 27 - Loving you
Chapter 28 - Complete
Chapter 29 - Miracle
Epilogue

Chapter 18 - Moment of Truth

719 56 40
By Midnight_Lilac

This chapter is dedicated to FTEmperial! Happy reading!

Song is Crash and Burn by Savage Garden. I think it truly fits this chapter! Please listen to it and fall in love with the lyrics just as I have *sparkly eyes*

~~~~~~~~~~~

Yuki pov:

"Finally morning, huh?" I squinted my eyes and stretched my arms above my head. There was the gentle morning sunlight coming into the room through the window and it seemed to give me a bit of energy that I needed to get started for the day.

I wasn't as energetic as I would be in the mornings on any other day. Thanks to all the mixed up and complicated thoughts in my head, I wasn't able to get much sleep. I couldn't fall asleep for quite some time and even if I did fall asleep, I would wake up every half an hour or so because of some weird disturbing dream or hearing Arata or Akio moan in their sleep. I was completely under rested and I just wanted to lie in bed without having to do anything today.

I gave a deep sigh as I sat up. I ran a hand through my hair, setting down the slight bed hair I had. I looked at my brothers who were curled up under the blanket. I reached out to touch their foreheads and they were still a little warm. They were sweaty too but they looked a little better than how they were last evening.

I decided to take a quick shower and get ready so I could take them to the doctor. I would have to inform Namiko san on the way that I wouldn't go to work for a day or two because I wanted to stay home and take care of Arata and Akio. Besides, with the indigestible information I had gotten yesterday from Juo, confirming my doubts of him living in the mansion and being abused by the two people I had trusted till now was not going to let me concentrate on anything for a while.

I left the bathroom door slightly open as I took my shower. I wanted to make sure I heard my brothers in case they called out to me. My shower was super quick and I dried off quickly before getting into a pair of jeans and a comfortable t-shirt. I tied up my hair in a loose ponytail and let it fall over my shoulder in front. Getting a glimpse at my brothers once more, I headed to the kitchen to fix up some porridge.

Everything around me was silent besides the sound of the porridge boiling. I was stirring it at a slow pace, my eyes unfocused on my task at hand. My mind was replaying Juo's expression and the words he had said yesterday. When I started to get a slightly burnt smell, I came back to reality and switched off the stove before all of the porridge got burnt.

I tasted to porridge and I was glad that it didn't taste weird. Some of it was stuck to the bottom of the vessel and would need a good hard scrubbing to get it off later. I didn't bother about that at the moment though and I transferred the contents into three bowls.

I quickly ate my share, burning my tongue a bit in the process, before taking the other two bowls to the bedroom to give to my brothers.

"Arata? Akio? C'mon, wake up. I've got you breakfast." I called out gently to them. Both of them moaned as they awoke.

Akio just sat up dazed. He looked tired but he didn't fuss much about how he was feeling. Arata though whimpered and hiccupped softly. I gave a sad smile and caressed his head as he sat up.

"Don't cry, Arata. You're a strong and brave boy, right? We'll go see a nice doctor and he'll make you feel all better. So don't cry, okay?" He nodded but he was still crying a little. He was much more soft and sensitive compared to Akio.

I brought them closer to me and they managed to eat about two thirds of the porridge I had got for them. When they couldn't eat anymore, I wiped their faces with a warm wet cloth and changed them into something neat. I picked them up and took them to the living room one after the other, placing them on the couch with a blanket over them to keep them warm until I got my purse.

Just as I was keeping some extra money in my purse, I heard a knock on the door. I stuffed whatever I had in my hand into my purse and walked to the door. When I opened it, I was greeted by a firm hug from none other than Hiru.

He let me go moments later smiling widely. "Yuki! We're back from the festival! We got back yesterday....it was a really nice festival! It was really fun but it would have been more fun if you were there with me! I really missed you these three days! And you know, I got to.....Yuki? Are you okay?" He paused talking when he realized that I hadn't reacted to what he was talking about.

He cupped my face in his hands and touched the slight bags I had under my eyes gently with his thumbs. I looked to the side as I pulled his hands away from my face. I gave a sigh, forcing a smile onto my face despite the many emotions I felt for Hiru at the moment.

"I'm fine, Hiru. I just didn't get enough sleep last night." I said and stepped aside to let him in. I didn't want to because I was still uneasy about everything I had gotten to know but I didn't want to be rude. After all, he and Hitoshi san had helped me a lot when I shifted here.

"You couldn't sleep? What's wrong? Did something happen?" He asked slightly worried.

I smiled again and shook my head. "No, its nothing you need to worry about. My brothers just have a cold and fever. We were playing in the stream yesterday and we didn't dry off properly. I was worried so I wasn't able to sleep much. I was just about to take them to see the doctor."

"Oh! Why don't I come with you? It will be better if there's someone with you." Hiru caressed my head. I didn't really have any reason to refuse now because I did feel reassured with having someone with me; even if it was Hiru.

"Thank you, Hiru. Can you carry Akio? Arata is a little restless....he's not taking this as easily as Akio so I think its better if he's with me." Hiru nodded and we walked to the couch where my brothers were.

I picked up Arata and he immediately clung to me sniffling. Hiru picked up Akio and he settled with his eyes closed and his head against Hiru's shoulder. I made sure both of them had a blanket over them and we headed out the house and into the streets.

Just as I had thought of before, I informed Namiko san about my situation on the way. She only scolded me saying that I could have gone to her and asked for her help last night. She had ignored Hiru today, which was surprising, as she fussed over my brothers. It made me happy to see that she was worried for me.

Once we got to the doctor's clinic, we sat down in the waiting room with two other patients. Arata and Akio were sitting on our laps facing us and holding our sides as they cuddled into us to keep warm.

The other people in the waiting room kept giving nervous stares at Hiru. They made sure they made no eye contact with him and even shifted to get as far as possible from him. I looked up and out of the window, lost in thought. Hitoshi san and Hiru were not only feared by all the people in the town but Juo himself. He didn't say anything about being abused by them but he agreed that he lived with them. well, the former was pretty obvious even if he didn't answer.

But....was it really possible for Hiru and Hitoshi san to be so cruel?

I glanced at Hiru sitting next to me. He gave me a warm smile making me wonder what he was thinking behind that smile. Was he really hiding a façade that I didn't know?

Barely a few days after I started working at the vegetable shop, Namiko san had told me to stay away from Hiru. She had told me not to get involved too much with him or Hitoshi san. There were many things that I didn't know about this town and the reason for his kindness towards me wasn't because he actually cared. It was for some hidden motive. She had even told me that it would be best if I left this town once Arata and Akio were a few years older.

What did she mean by all of that? What is it that Hiru was hiding? What was the motive behind being kind to me? I couldn't think of anything because I had no information to begin with.

"Akio and Arata?" I looked up when I heard the names called out. The nurse who called them flinched when she saw Hiru. But she forced a smile as she looked at my brothers and we walked into the doctor's room to have my brothers looked at.

>>Timeskip

"Nee chan will be right here, okay? You were such good boys, taking the medicine sensei gave you. I'm sure you'll get better very soon. Now sleep, okay?" I patted my brothers' head as they snuggled under the blanket.

"Nee chan promise? You'll stay here?" Arata asked, holding my index finger in his fist. I smiled and nodded, lying sideways and patting him so he could fall asleep.

He snuggled into me and Akio snuggled into his back to get some warmth. Barely a few moments passed and they had fallen asleep.

I moved away from them very slowly making sure that they didn't wake up. After pulling the blanket to their necks, I caressed their heads before getting up and walking out of the room. I sat down on the couch with a sigh and stretched my aching muscles. I hadn't gotten any time to rest so I still felt under rested.

After the visit to the clinic, Hiru had dropped us home. He told me that he would come back after a few days when my brothers were better and then we could talk about the festival. I was glad that he had left soon.

I closed my eyes and leaned back on the sofa. I guess I could have a short nap myself since Arata and Akio were sleeping. I had nothing else to do and it was still early afternoon. We were all done with lunch and the food settling in my stomach was making me sleepy.

A few moments passed and I was almost asleep. I was woken up with a start by knocking on the kitchen door. Shaking my head and rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I hurried to the kitchen door to let Juo in. I had been rather worried after he suddenly left yesterday. The very atmosphere he had around him was almost like he was saying he wouldn't come back to see us again. It made me anxious.

"Juo! Why did you run....oh...." I paused when I opened the door to find Juo not there. "Sumire sama...."

"Hello, Yuki." He gave me a sad smile and I was sure that he knew what I had gotten to know about Juo.

I returned his smile halfheartedly and let him in. He walked to the dining table and took a seat. I prepared some warm tea for the both of us before joining him at the table. He thanked me for the beverage and we sat silently for a few moments as we sipped our tea.

"So....you figured out who Juo is." He started, making me tighten my grip on the glass of tea.

"Yeah....I kind of put together the pieces of the puzzle and realized something that I was hoping for not to be true." I mumbled out, not looking at Sumire sama.

"Yuki." This time, I did look up to meet his soft emerald gaze. "Do you still love him? Despite knowing about his past?"

"I do love him, Sumire sama.....but I don't know anything about his past. He didn't let me ask him anything. So all I know is that he is supposed to be the actual Lord of this town but Hitoshi san and Hiru aren't letting him be so. I'm not only worried about him but also concerned on how I'm supposed to be around Hiru and Hitoshi san." I confessed.

"Let me tell you a little more about him then." Sumire sama reached out to place his hand on mine. "Juo is the Lord of this town.....however, not just Hirui and Hitoshi, no one in this town wants to be around him. To everyone here, Juo is an evil existence, a person they'd rather just get rid of."

"Get rid of? Why? He's the Lord of the town! If they wanted for Hiru and Hitoshi san to step down, I would understand. After all, everyone seems afraid of them. But Juo being considered an evil existence?" I couldn't understand why they didn't want such a warm hearted person as their Lord! It made no sense!

"Juo was born on a very dark, stormy night." Sumire sama's voice was soft and grim. "Unlike people in the city, the people in this town are very superstitious. They believe in spirits and supernatural things.....and they are afraid of them."

I guess I could understand that. After all, they did have a shrine set up for Sumire sama and even though people didn't go there very often, they did seem a little afraid of anything that concerned the spirits or Gods.

"When Juo was born, the local priest had come to bless the new born child and the prosperity of the Akizuki family. With both his parents having brown and black hair, Juo having silver hair and red eyes was a surprise for everyone. The priest himself was shocked and said that he was the Devil's child who would cause the downfall of not only the Akizuki family but the whole town. It wasn't entirely false.....to become the person fit to protect this town from the dangers that lie beyond the forest bordering it, some sacrifice had to be made."

I frowned at his words. The way people believed Juo to be an evil was silly. I mean, him causing the downfall of his family and the town? That's not possible, is it? But Sumire sama was saying that some sacrifice had to be made to protect this town. What did he mean by that?

"Juo is special. He has a secret that he himself does not know of. He is the reincarnation of a very powerful spirit that lived more than 2000 years ago and roamed this land, protecting it. He was just as gentle and kind to everyone he knew....and was respected by all the spirits in the world, including my parents."

"Huh?" I'm sure I looked pretty dumb with the way I was looking at Sumire sama. Accepting that he was a Forest Spirit and could bloom flowers, grow trees and all that; yeah, I had come to believe that. But a story of a spirit living 2000 years ago, being reincarnated as a human, Juo no less, to protect this town from something beyond the forest. What was this, a fairy tale?

"I know it must be hard to believe. But it is true." I closed my mouth, realizing that my jaw had gone slack and I was watching him stupidly with my mouth open.

"I heard stories of him from my parents when I was very young myself. He had such purity and power to protect everything in this province. He kept all the evil spirits at bay and even sealed off one of the most dreadful spirits that threatened the existence of any life here. However," I didn't like the way the tone of his voice suddenly changed. He was frowning and his eyes held some sort of pain.

"He fell in love with a human girl and that's what led to his downfall. Just like most humans, she was selfish. She wanted forbidden power. She fooled him into loving her, she fooled a kind and gentle and unconditionally loving person into believing her fake affection and used a spell that allowed her to extract the power of spirits. When his power was taken away by the one he loved and trusted.....he suffered so much. His soul tormented by the betrayal, when he saw her with a man and saying how she didn't see anything in a spirit, he lost his power to intense pain. What was supposed to be a place thriving in lush nature became a barren land with no life and no hope."

I was watching with wide eyes now. Everything was slowly starting to connect.

"So....after hearing about this land from your parents, you came here to continue his legacy." I stated in a soft voice. Sumire sama smiled and nodded before looking at our hands on the table.

"That is right. Five hundred years after the death of the Great Spirit also known as the Holy Protector, he would be reborn to watch over this land once again. The Circle of Life follows its own path and so....he was born in the form of Juo."

"Please, Yuki." He tightened his hold on my hand, giving me a pleading expression. "The thing Juo needs isn't wealth or fame.....he needs love. The only person who can give that to him is you. The only one who had enough warmth to heal the soul within, the wounded soul of Haruki sama [name means sun radiant life] within him, to heal the humble and pure heart that he has as a human and as a living being just like everything around you, is you." My eyes stung and I could feel a tight lump in my throat at his words.

"You don't have to see him as the spirit I told you about. Juo is Juo. Every soul in this world reincarnates once its chosen body perishes and we do not know who will take the form of that soul next. Juo is just like you and every other human but his soul had a pain that is affecting him in this life as well. With the abuse and insults he has to go through, he is disappearing more and more into the darkness. The only one who can bring him to the light is you, Yuki. You alone and no one else. Please.....don't let him fall any more into the darkness and lose himself."

By now, there were silent tears rolling down my cheeks. No matter what Sumire sama said, I couldn't believe that he was the reincarnation of some super strong spirit who lived in the past. Nonetheless, there was no doubt that I loved him and I hated seeing him in despair. I knew he was being abused and he had many fears and he was hurting inside.....to me, that's all that mattered. And I wanted to be there to help him get up, to have a normal life like everyone else!

"Sumire sama...." My voice cracked as I spoke. "To me....it doesn't matter what Juo's past is. I love him....for who he is now. And I don't like seeing him suffer. I want to help him. I will help him. Please, tell me what I should do!" I begged, placing my other hand over his that were holding mine.

"I will do anything to help the person I love. I have already fallen in love with Juo to the point where I cannot even imagine not seeing him again. I love him so much....he is now someone I cannot live without. I will do what I can to help him. Tell me what I should do to actually help him....I cant sit back and watch this anymore. In exchange.....promise me that you will watch over us. You will protect us....Juo, my brothers and me."

Sumire sama smiled. "Of course, Yuki. I will protect you and your brothers. And I will continue to watch over Juo just as I have been doing all this time. But to help Juo, you will have to take a very tough decision. You will have to be firm and trust me and do just as I say. This decision will change your life completely and you will have to face many hardships in the future. But I know, because you love Juo, you will pull through. So do you trust me?"

"Of course, Sumire sama. I trust you. I always have.....and I always will. What do I have to do?" My answer was instant. I had no doubts with my decision of trusting him and doing what he thought was the best thing to do here.

Sumire sama's expression turned serious. He furrowed his brows slightly and squeezed my hand gently. He had already told me that what I had to do was going to be a big decision for me. It was definitely something that would be a turning point in my life. I knew that the moment he said that I alone had the power to help Juo through my decision. I had already faced the loss of my parents. I had survived and pulled through tough times before. If I could help Juo, see him smile, see his body without any wounds, I would accept the new challenge.

Sumire sama took a deep breath and let it out of his mouth. "Yuki," He started, making me give him a look of pure determination. A look that told him I was ready for anything.

"Yuki.....you have to marry Juo."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

O............M.................G!!!! Yuki has to marry Juo to help him??! Can you believe that?!! Sumire sama is giving all of you shock!! But a good shock, right? ;)

Vote!

COMMENT! COMMENT! COMMENT!!!!

:D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

145K 3K 34
{UnEdited} "чσu'rє dєmσníc єчєs dσn't scαrє mє αnчmσrє." Lilac was your typical struggling college student. She meets someone not so typical. He does...
31.3K 971 25
* THIS IS A COPYRIGHTED STORY OF MINE, MIDNIGHT_LILAC, PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD. IF YOU FIND IT ON ANY OTHER WEBSITE, IT HAS BEEN COPIED/REPUBLISHED WITH...
672 71 30
There was a princess Living carefree She wanted the world she wanted everything Diamonds and pearls Emeralds and gold She bathed in the riches only s...