Chapter 3 - Settling in

Yuki pov:

"Okay, are you ready for your first day of school?" I asked excitedly to the twins. They were ready, dressed in almost matching clothes. Akio's shirt was blue and his shorts beige while Arata's shirt was beige and shorts was blue. I had bought new bags for them with the money I had brought back from the city because the ones we had brought back looked a little old.

Well, my brothers were really excited to have a new bag for a new school and I just couldn't resist their adorable pleas.

"Lets go!" They cheered and I locked the door as I headed out to drop them off to their new school.

The school was just five minutes from the vegetable shop I was to work at so I wasn't worried about them. Until today, they spent time in the shop with me either playing in the garden or helping the customers pick out vegetables. All the people who came in had grown fond of their adorable behavior. They were always helpful to people and I didn't have to worry about them causing any trouble. Tsukushi san had taught them to love everyone just as he always did.

Besides that, Namiko san had told me that it would be fine for them to come to the shop even after their school started. After school, they could spend time playing or reading or doing whatever they wanted in the garden until my shift at the shop was done.

"Have a good day at school!" I waved with a smile as I sent them off to the school. They waved back to me with big grins and ran into the building along with all the other kids there. They sure seemed excited being around many other kids their own age.

I gave a soft chuckle before heading to the vegetable store. Even though it was going to be for just a few hours, I was going to miss them. I was so used to having them with me, giggling and speaking to me excitedly. They would be at school for barely three hours and I would be busy helping Namiko san in the shop but I would still miss them.

I shook my head with a smile. As I entered the vegetable shop, I greeted Namiko san with a smile and put my bag away in the small cupboard behind the cash counter. It was a lovely day but my spirits didn't seem to be very good. I was missing my mom and Tsukushi san terribly....remembering her cooking, how she pampered me without making me do any chores around the house. I would somehow convince her to let me help her since I didn't want her to do so much work when I was old enough to help.

I had never felt as lonely as I did now. How much I wished that everything that had happened was nothing but a bad dream and I would wake up soon. I sighed feeling a bit of my enthusiasm falter as I put on the apron.

"What's the matter, child? Did something happen?" Namiko san asked me, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder. She looked worried and it seemed to make me feel just a little better. These people were so kind to accept me and worry about me despite not really knowing anything about me. I just smiled and shook my head.

"Its nothing important, Namiko san. I just....thank you for worrying about me." I said with a half hearted smile. "I wwas just thinking about my mother....its seems like so long ago since I ate her cooking."

Tears prickled my eyes. I looked away from Namiko san, not wanting her to see how pathetic I looked right now.

"I'm sorry child....I heard of your circumstances. But you still have so much ahead of you. You have to stay strong and believe in yourself. Hard times pass, dear. You just have to keep your head high." She comforted me and I met her gaze again.

"Thank you, Namiko san. Its just been two weeks though and I'm still finind it hard to accept reality." I confessed, letting a few tears escape helplessly. They only increased as Namiko san pulled me into her arms and placed a gentle hand on the back of my head to comfort me.