Chapter 21 - Hope

Yuki pov:

"And so the Prince carried Snow White to his castle and they lived happily ever after!" I gave my brothers a smile as I completed the picture story book.

"Nee chan, what happened to the seven dwarfs?" Arata asked curiously.

"The dwarfs lived happily in their cozy house in the forest too. I'm sure Snow White and the prince visited them once in a while just as they visited the palace. They're friends, right?" I smiled, caressing his head.

"Read us another story, nee chan!" Akio came tottering to me with the Aladdin book in hand.

I gave a small half hearted smile, shaking my head as I took the book from his hands. "Akio, it's time for bed. You two have school tomorrow and you have to wake up early. Besides, I have to go too."

"No!! Nee chan! Don't leave!! Don't gooooo!" Arata clung to me with his arms around my waist.

"Stay here, nee chan! Don't go away! Stay here!!!" Akio too came and sat on my lap, cuddling into my chest.

My eyes stung and I felt a painful squeeze in my chest when I heard their whimpers. I looked to the side, swallowing the large lump that had formed in my throat. I knew that the only reason why Arata and Akio tried to make me read more stories every night or help them with homework or be picky about their dinner was only to make me stay with them longer. They were never ones to ask me to help with their homework or refuse to eat what was served for dinner. I knew that all of this was only because they didn't like being separated from me, showing their need to be with me through small tantrums.

It was very difficult for me to be comfortable about this too. In fact, no matter what the time, my thoughts always ended up with something concerning my brothers. I hated being away from them.

And they were still so young! They needed me! They needed a person with them who treated them and took care of them like a mother would. It's not that I was the best person out there to look out for them but I knew what they needed, when they needed it. I knew what would make them happy, what would make them comfortable and to shower them with all the love I could, just as I had been doing for the past year. And a maid, no matter how nice she was to them, wasn't what they wanted.

Besides, I needed them just as much as they needed me.

"Oh, Arata, Akio....." My voice was weak as I bent forward a little to hug them to me.

They were holding onto my dress so tightly in their fists and their eyes were shut as soft tears rolled down their cheeks. Their faces were flushed and their sobs were muffled by my dress. Seeing them cry was even more heart wrenching than before.

I pulled away from the embrace and cupped their cheeks. "C'mon now, you two have to be strong! You can't cry like this...."

My voice was begging. When I saw them like this, the strength that I had tried to gather while being here in this prison like mansion just crumbled. I now understood why Juo seemed so relieved when he was with us. Anyone who was forced to stay here like this would go insane. All hope and happiness just seemed to fade away as we stayed trapped in these four walls.

"Uuuu...." Akio snuggled more into me, refusing to let go.

I looked up at the ceiling, trying to blink back the tears that were threatening to fall. I was generally a strong willed person and I could face any situation by summoning courage. Whether it be a relationship or a loss of a family member, I knew how to cope up with it. My greatest weaknesses though, were my brothers. If they were upset, if they were sad, if they were hurt....I could not tolerate it.