Chapter 10 - The Prince and the Tree God

Yuki pov:

"Thank you, Yuki. Its so nice to see a cheerful young girl like you around every day! It makes my shopping trips something to look forward to." One of our customers, Nozomi san said as she stood in front of the cash counter.

"Thank you, Nozomi san. I'm just glad to be around such nice people." I smiled making her give a huff of laughter.

"You're such a sweet child, Yuki! It makes me want to make you my granddaughter!" She teased as she held my arm gently. "What do you say, Yuki? Would you like to meet my grandson? He's a fine lad! A very gentle spirit."

I gave a sheepish smile at her suggestion. She wanted me to date her grandson? I suppose its nothing surprising hearing it from her. After all, many old people have the tendency to try their matchmaking skills. And it looks like I was one of the victims this time.

Even though what she said was nothing special, Juo's smiling face passed through my mind. I involuntarily reached up to my chest and touched the pendant that I wore. I had made sure that it was inside my shirt, not visible to anyone else. My face felt a little warm too as I remembered his innocent hugs.

"Uh....well, thank you for the offer, Nozomi san. But I.....I don't think I'm ready to get committed as of now." I said trying to keep my smile intact. I dropped my hand to my side before she could notice the necklace.

"Oh, that's a shame! But I can understand that love is something that has to happen on its own. You should at least meet him. I'm sure you'll come to like him." She smiled before giving Namiko san a bow and trotting out of the shop.

I closed my eyes and sighed amused. I didn't really know what to do in such situations. When people asked me about falling in love and having a boyfriend, I didn't know where to start! I did have a lot of boys as friends back in the city and I had even received confessions from a few seniors and peers. But I hadn't accepted any of them because I never had any sort of romantic feelings towards them. Even now, I didn't mind being friends with all the people here. But dating? I had to think about that....

I guess you could say Hiru was one of the people I liked being around. I had come to consider him as a really good friend because he had helped me settle down here. He worried for me, comforted me.....he was a really good person despite having that strange cold atmosphere around other people. Although, when Nozomi san had said so about her grandson, why did I suddenly remember Juo?

I did like him too....he was an innocent and gentle person who my brothers and I enjoyed being with. But when the thought of going out with someone came, why did I get flustered over my thoughts of him? I'm sure I was even blushing!

Maybe it was just because of being hugged by a guy for the first time and being given a diamond necklace because he said I was his most important person. It was the first time someone had given me so much importance besides Tsukushi san and Takano nii. Juo didn't know how to lie....he was direct about his affection towards me and it just seemed to get me flustered.

Besides, I was always weak to seeing people suffer....so perhaps I was just being too affected by seeing him smile so warmly despite all the injuries and scars he had on him.

I shook my head, coming out of these thoughts that I couldn't comprehend. I was starting to get confused by what I was thinking....none of them even linked up with one another. I should just do what I think is right. That would be enough.

"Yuki dear, maybe you should leave now. Its almost time for your brothers' play, right?" Namiko san came to stand next to me near the vegetable baskets I was cleaning up a bit. I was removing dry leaves, sticks and stones that had gotten mixed up along with the vegetables.