My cliché life as Renesmee's...

By VitaFortuna

I never knew that the isekai truck is real. Of course legends are writen about it. Being hit by that famous... More

From The Truck Into The Womb
Every Beginning Hard.
So many people and just two baby
In Three Days She Rises
Jacob Jacob Why Are You Jacob?
Here Comes Charlie
Crawling On My Knees
Divert the river
Sweet Things Must Be Protected
The Little Sister Sindrome
The Mandatory Visit
Peaceful Waters
Some Lose Ends
The Nightmare Before Christmass
It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year
Move Forward For The Solution
Where Everything Began
Story Time
We Always End Up Somewhere
The Amazons
Until They Return
From Now On Everyone Can Chill
Because She Had To Know
Do We Have To Go Home?
I Don't Feel Like A Guest
Then Run For It
Hear My Case
Something Tense In The Air
In The Garden
It Comes Together
Partly United
Weeks Of Silence
Let's Begin
Judgment
Is This A Happy End?
A/N

So It Happened...

3.8K 323 19
By VitaFortuna

Afton led a simple life among the Volturi guard. He was never there for his talents. He was talented of course but he wasn't as talented as some of the others, like Jane, Demetri or even his wife Chelsea. He was average amongst the extraordinary and it was alright. He rarely left Volterra, the home city of his clan. The very few occasions when he did end up sent away were always some kind of check ups. Field surveys so to speak.

His last mission started that way too. Bella from the Olympic clan visited a few months ago. She came to show her successful transformation into a vampire.  Since she was gifted even when she was just a mere human, it was a given that she would have a place in the guard. Most of them thought her goal was to claim that place when she showed up alone. But she didn't.

Her husband didn't accompany her because his pride was hurt.

The clan was upset by this disrespect as Master Caius put it. A few of them whispered that they might be hiding something. Some of them even guessed that Carlisle commited a crime. To ease the tension Master Aro requested Afton to follow Isabella Cullen in secret and make sure everything was alright. So he did.

His suspicion was piked when he saw that Carlisle and others from the clan were waiting for her at Florence. So they purposefully avoided the masters. From that on there was no question about following them onto the plane. He never imagined what he would see when they landed in Seattle.

“Mommy!” A little girl jumped into Bella’s arms. Not far away stood Edward holding the hand of another child.

“Hi baby. You grew.” Bella smiled at the child in her arms. She beamed back at her.

“Welcome home.” Her husband kissed her on the cheek.

Afton was so confused. It wasn't enough that the Cullens risked their lives because Edward fell in love with a human, but now they adopted human children? No. There must be another reason. They couldn't be this stupid. So he stayed longer.

The more time he spent observing the less sense it all made. Something wasn't right with the twins. They were stronger and faster than mortals, but they weren’t immortal children. He made sure of it. Their eyes were brown like a human’s, and they had beating hearts. Something that a vampire didn't have. Their scent was an interesting mix that he couldn't place eather.

After some hesitation Afton decided to get some real evidence and when the Cullen household was almost empty he searched through Carlisle's office. That’s when he found his diary. It appeard to be an enlightening read.

The children were half human and half vampire. Edward’s and Bella’s biological daughters. Something that they believed was impossible. The pregnancy was a risk that the whole family was against except for two. The mother and Rosalie. Carlisle wrote down everything in detail. The birth was successful in that sense, that the children were born healthy, but Bella wouldn't make it if she weren’t turned on time.

Now Afton understood why the Olympic coven wanted to trick the Volturi by sending the only vampire whose mind Master Aro couldn't read. This miracle was extraordinary and had to be protected. But Afton knew that Master Aro would be really upset if he would be left out from something like that. So it was time to return home.

As he predicted, Master Aro was thrilled by Afton’s findings. He took days researching the diary that was brought to him, and because he respected the family’s wish of privacie, he didn't visit them in person and only sent a pair of gifts for the girls. Afton was trusted to oversee the twins' development and report back to Volterra. He wasn't happy about it. He would like to stay home with his wife and enjoy his ordinary life, but he wasn't the one who would disobey.

He delivered the package as he was ordered but when he placed the gift he miscalculated. He was planning to leave it outside of the Cullen’s house and one of the residents would receive it, but to his utter horror one of the little girls opened the door.

“Who’s there? ” The tiny child came out.

He stayed invisible hoping that the girl would go back inside if she saw nothing. But she didn't. She walked closer to the treeline farther from home.

“Hello?” She called out into the night with the box in her hands.

Afton was in pure panic. Should he interviene? Should he drive her back before she gets lost? Children, in her size, are so vulnerable. If something would harm her because of his mistake not only her parents will be upset but Master Aro himself.

“What are you doing outside!?” To Afton’s relief Carlisle’s wife rushed out to take the girl.

From that on he promised himself to be more careful. He kept bigger distances than before and while it limited his access to informations, at least he didn't spark any of the children’s curiosity. It lasted for months. He followed the family to Brazil, when they decided to get some answers from native legends.

It appeared there was many legends of their kinds including the hybrids themselves. It made no sense. If the Cullen children were one of a kind, how come that on the other side of the world was warning stories about them? It would have been impossible, since these children weren’t old enough to expose themselves. Unless there were others who were careless or purposely broke the law. It made the whole ordeal extremely risky.

As Afton feared this kind of exposure bit back when the children were attacked by the villagers. He saw that the wolf that the Cullen’s kept lost the younger girl. She was found by two other half-bloods and was taken away.

In truth he should have stayed put and let the clan handle this. He was only here to observe and not to intervene, but before he could stop himself he was following the lost child. As fate decided he quickly found the source of the legends in a vampire named Joham. He appeared to be the one who went among humans and spread his seeds carelessly causing vicious legends to grow. In a way it didn't surprise Afton that the boat went off without contacting the Cullens or taking the girl called Carlie home.

It was no question to follow said boat eather. He had two reasons to do that. One, he was supposed to keep an eye on the children and two, getting information about another hybrid clan is something that Master Aro would like to know.

He was on track for three days. He never lost them and he perfectly heard every conversation and action that was happening inside. At that point he had to admit that just watching won’t do anything good and if he wanted to see the child in safety he is the one who had to do something.

His chance came faster than he thought. He was planning how to break into that ship and stole the girl back in the middle of the night when said girl almost ran into him while she was chased over the streets in an attempt to escape.

She tried to get lost in the crowd of humans, with very slim success. Her pursuers slowly surrounded her, that she couldn't see since her perspective was lower than that of an adult. It was the time for Afton to intervene. He grabbed the girl and while she was frozen from fear he walked away from the woman who was about to catch her.

---------

Now I was in his arms as we roamed the deserted streets. He didn't look at me, only thinking about where to go from here on. He didn't have the time to figure that out as my escape was so sudden.

“Will you take me home?” I asked him, never moving my eyes from his face.

“That would be the best.” It sounded like he told this to himself.

He glanced at me unsure. He didn't know how to interact with me, or any other children for that matter. It looks like half a year of spying didn't prepare him for acting normal.

I relaxed into his arms. He told the truth. He will take me home. We turned a corner and all of the sudden we heard a ringing. My new guardian stopped on his tracks and turned to the source of the sound.

It was a battered telephone booth. I didn't know that people still use these things. But here it was and it rang into the night. The scary part was that no one was inside the booth. It ringed to itself like we were in a horror movie. My heartbeat fastened from nervousness. Who would call an abandoned telephone booth? Why?

Afton thought the same, but he was a brave volturi guard. Without a beat he went to the phone and took it.

“Hello.” He called confidently like someone who has authority.

“It’s Edward Cullen.” Sounded my father’s voice from the other side of the line.

There was a stunned moment before my fear dissolved into happiness and impatience. I ripped the device out from the stunned guard’s hand, before he had time to react.

“Daddy!” I squealed. It felt like forever since we were together.

“Carlie! Did they hurt you?” He sounded relieved but I knew he was anxious. Tears welled up in my eyes.

“Yes.” I choked out honestly.

I knew that if they find out that I was hurt they would be furious, but there was no reason to keep that from them. I am pretty sure that Alice saw glimpses of what happened and told the others. He wouldn't ask if he didn't suspect anything.

Plastic like cracking came from my father’s side.

“Dad, don’t break your phone.” I scolded him jokingly.

“I am not.” His tense voice gave his lie away. I just sighed at him. There was some chatting in the background. Maybe the rest of our family was in the room?

“Carlie, can you please give the phone to Afton?” Edward tried to force his tone back to easy going. He hardly managed.

I glanced at Afton who clearly heard every word that my father said. No wonder Master Aro kept close eye on the Cullen’s. To call randomly and know where will I be and with who… This is some kind of upper level stalking. The experience made him uneasy.

“Yes?” He took over. He kept his demeanor professional.

“Firstly I would like to thank you for saving our daughter. We are greatly indebted.” Edward meant what he said.

“Of course.” Afton couldn't say anything else. He still wasn't sure that it was allowed for him to interviene.

“I would like to ask a favor.” Edward told him carefully. I was immediately alerted. Something was going on.

“What would it be?” It gained Afton’s curiosity too.

“You followed the events, didn't you?” Edward asked first.

“Yes.” Afton reluctantly agreed. After a bit of hesitation my dad continued.

“We would like to request a trial from the masters.” They want what?! My jaw dropped.

“You want me to request a trial for you?” Afton repeated just to be clear.

“Yes. More precisely I would like you to take my daughter there safely and stand witness to her case.” Edward told him. My heart felt heavier and heavier after every word.

“Will you bring them yourself?” Afton meant that our clan would hunt Joham and his daughters down and drag them into Volterra by themselves?

“Yes.” His answer was full of determination.

I couldn't stand this anymore. With shaking hands I reached for the phone. Afton realizing what I wanted, gave it to me.

“Can’t I stay with you until we go to trial.” I worked very hard so the crying wouldn't show in my voice.

“Oh Carlie.” Came Edward’s pained words from the other side. “I would be the happiest on this Earth if I could know you next to me… The whole family would… But it won't be safe…. We will get things right. I promise.” I knew he took this as hard as me.

I took deep breaths to calm myself. They wouldn't make a choice like this if it would be for nothing. It will be alright. Alice must saw that it will be alright, or they wouldn't decide to involve the Volturi. Yes. It will be fine.

“Okay.” I left it with that and returned the phone to Afton.

“Take good care of her.” Sounded Edward’s warning like request.

“I will.” Afton told him and I knew he meant it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 242 11
Scourge (skurj) → n. One who inflects punishment vengefully Life was like a thing of dominos; one wrong move and the carefully constructed design...
289K 6.6K 40
"𝙔𝙤𝙪 𝙡𝙚𝙛𝙩 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙄 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙𝙚𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙩𝙤 𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙮, 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙄 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙖𝙢𝙚." OR 「𝘐𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 �...
42.7K 1.3K 20
//compulsion: an irresistible urge to behave in a certain way, especially against one's conscious wishes.// "Oh, they also have a younger brot...
72.6K 2.9K 27
˗ˏˋ꒰ 🦋 ꒱ - ̥۪͙۪˚┊❛ 𝐐𝐔𝐄 𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐀 𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐀 ❜┊˚ ̥۪͙۪◌ ╰┈➤ ❝ [Whatever will be, will be. The future is not ours to see. Don't worry, if it's supposed...