๐™๐™€๐˜ฝ๐™Š๐™๐™‰, the legendborn...

By michaelises

"A lake is a landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature. It is Earth's eye; looking into which the beh... More

โ„œ๐”ข๐”Ÿ๐”ฌ๐”ฏ๐”ซ
volume one
prologue
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
ACT II
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
playlist.
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty one
ACT III
chapter twenty two
chapter twenty three
chapter twenty four
chapter twenty five
chapter twenty six
chapter twenty seven
chapter twenty eight
chapter twenty nine
chapter thirty
chapter thirty one
bonus chapter: group text
chapter thirty two
chapter thirty three
chapter thirty four
chapter thirty five
chapter thirty six
chapter thirty seven
chapter thirty eight
chapter thirty nine
chapter forty
chapter forty one
ACT IV
chapter forty two
memes!
Ao3
Ask AZ

chapter seventeen

108 5 29
By michaelises

(altercation)

WHEN AZ STEPS BACK INTO THE FOYER THE SOUNDS OF DINNER REACHES HER AS SHE SEES BREE AND NICK ALSO MOVE TO JOIN HER. SHE HEARD the sounds of clinking cutlery. Chairs scraping the floor. Voices. To say it seemed packed was an understatement. AZ raises her eyebrows. "So you guys were able to talk about some things?" She asked, treading her words carefully, the Scion and Page before her nodded.

Bree said she would fill her in later and AZ only responded with a short smile, she could see her cousin was a little nervous and figured it had something to do with the incoming crowd. Nick steered AZ away when a waiter hurried over quickly with some food in hand making a sharp turn around the corner to the dining room. She mouths a 'thank you' and he nods.

Nick makes sure to give Bree one more look out of concern it seemed since he had a look of uncertainty echoed on his face.

"We good, B?" Bree simply nods  "We're good." It's not missed by the petite girl in front of them as she looks back and forth between them.

"B?" AZ raises her eyebrows, her lips quirk up. And she turns her head away. "Well this is interesting."

"Don't get any ideas." Bree warns but she could only sigh when AZ gives her a look of mischief.

"No promises." She begins. A wide grin. "B."

"You are so annoying." Nick chuckles at the interaction.

His mouth quirks. "I don't know why, but—" Suddenly, the front doors open and humid, light rain sprays across the tiles. Outside, three women stand deep in conversation, shaking their umbrellas on the patio before entering. They're dressed head to toe in a country club–chic: blouses, cardigans, capris, spotless white tennis shoes. Their pale, perfectly contoured faces light up when they see Nick.

AZ and Bree as usual don't miss a chance to share a look.

"As I live and breathe..." The woman on the left wears a neck scarf the deep yellow of the Line of Owain. "Is that—?"

"Nick Davis." The tallest woman, a brunette, speaks with a low rasp. The first woman elbows her, and she corrects herself.

"Excuse me. Scion Davis." Nick inclines his head, addressing them all in turn. "Rose members Hood, Edwards, and Schaefer. What brings you to the Lodge tonight?"

He steps back to let them in. "The tournament trials are closed, as you know..."

Rose member Schaefer's eyes twinkle as she enters. She acknowledges the cousins with a polite smile and a wave, then offers a sly glance to Nick. "We heard a rumor you returned."

"Elena, please." The Edwards woman waves a manicured hand adorned with nails the dark orange of Bors. "The Order of the Rose always supervises catering during the Trials."

Still addressing Nick, she extends her umbrella towards Bree who was the nearest, handle first. "Take this and dry it? Now, tonight's meal—"

She stops speaking when Bree doesn't follow her instructions, and turns, fully looking at her for the first time. "Did you not hear me?" AZ straightens up getting ready to defend but Bree discreetly touches her hand and squeezes it.

"I heard you just fine," Bree muttered through clenched teeth.

The Edwards bitch inhales sharply. "Where is your supervisor?" This time AZ does step in as she puts on her best act.

Masking a polite tone "I'm sorry ma'am do you need help with finding the umbrella rack. So you can put it there yourself?" AZ points to the side. "Because I can guide you to it, if you need. It's a big Lodge so I can understand!"

The lady is stunned for a second, her face takes an immediate defense as if offended AZ even suggested she was new to the Lodge when she wasn't. She then went to observe AZs outfit and the way she presented herself. Her eyes widened a bit at the put together attire and how the smaller girl seemed to carry herself with an air of confidence. Before there is even more tension Nick chooses the perfect time to step in.

"This is Briana Matthews, my Page." Nick takes the umbrella himself, hard steel under his placid tone. "She is not a servant, Virginia, nor will you treat her as such. Not in my presence or otherwise." The other women detect Nick's quiet anger and say nothing.

AZ puts a hand on her hips not caring how rude she looked.

But Virginia Edwards is not done. Her nostrils are at Nick's admonishment. At a teenage boy's use of her given name, and the reminder of his authority. "Your... Page?" Her gaze darts from point to point as she processes this information: from Brees face, hair, T-shirt, and jeans.

"Scion Davis, I would expect you to select a Page from the Vassals to your Line, as is tradition."

"I value Page Matthews's abilities," Nick says, his face impassive, "And your expectations belong to you."

"I'm surprised...Ms....Edwards is it?" AZ begins pursing her lips a little bit and Virgina looks at her sharply. "Addressing the Scion of Arthur this way. He's simply telling his truth, surely you don't have a problem with his words?" She feigned a look of concern as her tone was filled with light sarcasm.

"And who exactly are you to tell me how I'm addressing him." AZ gives a casual shrug that angers Virginia even more.

"Just a curious observation ma'am. No offense intended." She says with a quirk of her lips and glint in her eye.

Virginia stiffens. She then turns back to ask Nick "What does your father think of this? Surely he must—"

"His father is thankful that he has returned." They all turn to see Lord Davis entering the room using a wheelchair. Nick makes it as if to assist him, but Davis waves him away. "And pleased that the Order of the Rose is here once again to support this year's tournament."

"Lord Davis." Schaefer dips her head, as do the others. "My son shared that you'd been injured in battle."

"Don't you worry. I'll use braces by the week and walk without aid by Monday. Aether works fast, but we old folks just don't heal as quickly as the youth. Children"—Lord Davis turns to AZ and Bree, and gives them a wink—"Why don't you join the chapter in the dining room. I'll guide our guests to the kitchen, where our hired catering staff dropped off the meal."

"The Order Of the Rose?" Bree fumes as the three of them walk off from the scene. Briefly Bree had told AZ she recognized the other two ladies who were both the mothers of the Pages she was competing with. Pete Hood and Vaughn Schaefer.

Nick grumbles, "A women's auxiliary founded centuries ago when they couldn't Page, Squire, or Scion. Mostly ceremonial now. A way for mothers or former Pages to support chapter events."

"Are you sure they're not just an army of Karens?" AZ asks with a disgusted look, side stepping out of a waiter's way. "Cause they might as well go by that after all. It's never too late." Bree lets out a tone of agreement.

All that these women were, were obstacles. Women who want their children in Brees spot. White women who assume two Black girls in the Lodge are a servant, not a member. And certainly not someone who outranks them. If Virginia treated Bree like that and looked down on AZ, how did she treat the caterers?  Thinking about that made their skin crawl with anger.

"Did you say women couldn't be Scions? I thought the Spell followed the bloodline, no matter who was eligible." Bree asks Nick and his jaw tightens.

"It does. But for a long time, men didn't care what the Spell wanted. They'd eliminate daughters to force it to the next heir." They stop walking for a bit as Bree gives him a horrified stare. AZ bites her lip unpleased.

"So you mean to tell me even after all this time...." AZ trails off. So inhumane, so evil. She thought to herself as Nick gave them a sympathetic smile.

"Fifteen hundred years is a long time to operate. The Order was never above the world's brutality. It still isn't."

"That's... disgusting." Bree adds.

"That's what happens when you lead with fear and greed." Nick ends.

"Bree! AZ! Over here!" It is Greer who calls them with the Lamorak coin winking on their red bracelet. "Saved ya'll a seat!"

Nick tilts his head. "That's our cue." They are all about to go before AZ stops them with her hands waving a bit. Bree and Nick who are used to it by now are ready for whatever shes going to spout out of her mouth. AZ huffs and straightens presenting her shirt.

"Bree ended up putting some droplets of water on my shirt. Do I look fine?" AZ asks while she fixes her hair and top rather arrogantly. Bree gaps while Nick covers a laugh.

"No way you are still on that?" AZ gives her a 'hmph' look. Nick observes her outfit.

"Don't worry AZ. You do have a tag sticking at the back of your shirt though." AZ whirls around to look. "What?" Bree and Nick laugh even harder.

"Damn B, you weren't kidding, she really is gullible." They walked a head as it was AZs turn to gap at them

"Told you, it's so easy to mess with her each time." AZ sighs as she struts in the room.

"I can't win here."

Nick makes his way to the Legendborn table where the Scions, Squires, and Sel sit. AZs gaze lingers on the Kingsmage just for a moment before her eyes meet William who gives her a greeting smile. She smiles back making her way towards the shared Vassal and Pages table. There were two tables but put together. One end had Vassals while at the other end were Pages. AZ was able to slide into a chair next to Whitty who sat in the middle where the lines met.  Bree sat across from them next to Greer.

Whitty digs into what looks like ank steak with fresh rosemary, he grins when he notices AZ next to him. "Ooooh." She says leaning towards his plate. "That looks hella good." The pale haired Page gestures towards a piece.

"Wanna try?" AZ waves it off. "Later let me savor it by eating the appetizers first." Whitty chuckles and shrugs as he passes her a basket of garlic bread, which she thanks and greedily takes.

"Suit yourself." She snorts and smiles at Greer who smiles back. They then turn to greet Bree and pass her an enormous white stoneware dish of scalloped potatoes. "I was worried you dropped out." AZ butters up the garlic bread before taking a bite, listening to the conversation.

"Nope, not a quitter." Bree says and AZ lifts a piece of bread as if to agree.

"Damn right. It runs in our blood." The three of them smile a bit before a distasteful voice calls out from the side.

"A cheat, then?" AZ turns to see Vaughn from across the table without looking up from his plate. As soon as the words leave his mouth, silence falls across the table. AZ bites her lip, her stomach turning cold. Bree answers by staying diligent.

"Nope. Not a cheat either." AZ gives the arrogant Page a spiky gaze. Vaughn stabs a particularly bloody piece of beef and only sits back to look at Bree after he shoves it in his mouth. His eyes are the same brown color as his mother's, but where hers offered kindness, his deliver spite.

"Then why'd you stay behind with the Legendborn last night even though we were given direct orders to return to the Lodge? What'd you think you'd do? Impress a Scion by showin' out during a fight?"

"That's not what happened, I..." Bree tried to defend. AZ bites her lip begging Bree with pleading eyes so she could take over but her cousin subtly shakes her head. She clenches her fist. Other Pages have fixed Bree with their own stares, some curious, some accusatory. Some of them look at AZ as well but she ignores them.  "I froze. I tried to run back to the Lodge, but the uchel got to me first."

"Right," Vaughn sneers. "Then why are you spending time alone with the Scion of Arthur? Getting a pep talk? Giving him a helping hand?" AZs mouth drop. Who the hell did he think he was oh he was not going to get away with this. Bree froze, stunned at his implication. Blood rushes in her ears like an angry ocean, but not loud enough to block out the snickers of the veteran Pages beside him. Ones she didn't know, Ainsley, and the two third-year wrestling twins, Carson and Blake.

"You think I..." Vaughn points his knife at her chest. "I think you've let that coin around your neck go to your head."

AZ gave Whitty an appreciative glance when he came to Brees defense.  "Put your knife down, Schaefer." His usually slow drawl is low with warning. "Nick can spend time talkin' to his Page. Ain't no harm there."

"His Page, not his Squire," Vaughn spits. "He brought her forth, but that doesn't mean she's gonna make it through the Trials. And even if she does, that doesn't mean she'll be Selected."

"I know that," Bree grits out, fingers digging into her thighs.

"Good." Vaughn gestures at the rest of the watching Pages as he speaks, his voice charged. "Because a lot of us here have waited and trained our whole lives to become a Legendborn Squire. And we're not gonna let some affirmative action bullshit fuck up our chances."

And there it was that word. Affirmative action. AZ had enough.

"Bree doesn't need to prove anything. Honestly, it's so strange you would even think that." She gives a 'duh' look as if he was stupid which he was. Vaughn turns his head sharply at her but she picks up a piece of bread and a spread of Pate a french paste. She casually looks at the food, not acknowledging him.

"She's just good at what she does." AZ says haughtily and waves him off. Then her eyes went to meet him briefly. An eye of mischief.  "But who would expect you to know that honestly."

Silence fills the table at AZs shade and some of the Pages turn their snickers towards him. Whitty gives her a pat on the back in praise, Greer smirks and Bree gives her an appreciative glance. Vaughn however just like Ms. Edwards fumes as he clenches his fist, he is about to say something but stops when he notices AZs not even paying attention anymore.

Instead she turns her back towards him. And offers Whitty a snack. "Can I care you for some biscuit avec pate?" It was as if she dismissed Vaughn who furrowed his eyes in irritation. Whitty smirks a bit and happily takes it from her hand.

AZ backtracking Vaughn steered Bree and she was able to pick herself back up as she answered.

"You're a bigot and a bully, Schaefer. You insult me because you think you know what I'm capable of, but you don't. I must make you nervous, though, for you to expose your insecurities about your odds of success in the tournament."

"My insecurities?" Vaughn growls, halfway to his feet.

AZ gives him a perplexed look. "You heard what she said. Or...wha?.... need a hearing aid or somethin?" She smirks menacingly when Vaughn turns red.

"Shut the hell up Vassal! What do you know? Are you even a qualified one?" AZ shrugs.

"Qualified or not I'm better than you either way." She pauses and gives him a fake smile. "Full offense." Being supportive as ever with her jabs, Whitty snorts.

"Yes," Bree bites out.

Her cousin was just getting started. "And your carelessness. You've just questioned, in public, the judgment of the Scion of Arthur himself by suggesting that he brought his Page forth without good reason." Bree takes a page from AZs book and grins while looking Vaughn directly in the eye. "Our future king does not owe you an explanation, and behaving as though he does displays insubordination, disloyalty, and fear. Not power. Not strength. In fact, I pity the Scion who chooses you as their Squire. That is, if you get chosen at all." Vaughn twitches his head in irritation and clenches his fist.

Now that's what I'm talking about Bree. AZ praises as she looks at her cousin proudly. She then shuffles her head towards Vaughn. Her and Bree were not going to be messed with.

"You know what Schaefer, why don't you come here and I'll help you determine if it was some affirmative action bullshit or not." AZ sasses looking at her nails casually. There's an intense glint in her eye as it flashes pink only slightly before going back to normal.

A BEAT OF SILENCE - THEN VAUGHN LAUNCHES HIMSELF OVER THE TABLE. Carson catches him before he reaches them. Vaughn strains as Carson whispers in his ear. The curious gazes of his allies turn from the cousins to him. And a dark flush consumes his features. A heartbeat passes. Two. And Vaughn drops to his seat, violence in his eyes.

"Not over, Matthews." His eyes then slid over to AZ who yawns. "And don't think you're off the hook too, Carter." He spits out. Facing Vaughn was light work since she already called off Sel.

AZ waves him off carelessly. She then cackles to herself crazy, grabbing a glass of water and downs it. Whitty pats her back when she chokes a bit.

"Thanks." She breathes out. He gives her a nod.

"No problem." He looks between her and Bree. "Y'all were really cool handlin that." AZ shrugs.

"Nobody is going to try me. I blocked out people's intimidation tactics long ago." She cackles to herself again menacingly and for a second the three pages question her sanity.

Whitty breaks the tension, his voice casual as he asks, "Would ya pass the Brussels sprouts, Ainsley?" The girl Ainsley scowls at Bree and AZ, The latter gives her a challenging glare back, she flinches a bit at the stare before passing the bowl across Brees chest without saying 'Excuse me.'

"Honey." AZ calls out Ainsley who stares at her startled. "Quit the high head attitude and say excuse me next time yeah?" She puckers her lips in sarcasm and goes back to her food. Ainsley gaps a bit before turning her head away arrogantly.

Across the room, no one at the bustling, loud, laughing Scion table has noticed what just occurred on their side of the room. AZ feels a prick on the back at her neck as she sits up in her chair. She turns her head to meet the tawny gaze of Selwyn Kane.

The Kingsmage sits with his chin in hand, regarding her with a contemplative expression. AZ gives him a look, challenging as if to say something but he only stares intently.  Had he been watching and listening to the entire exchange with Vaughn? If he had. Good. AZ thinks to herself as she moves her chin up haughtily and swiftly turns around as if she hadn't noticed him. Still, she felt that gaze on her.

Greer grabs the steak tongs, then Brees plate. "Do you eat beef?" They asked Bree who was still distracted. Whitty refills AZs water glass before digging back into his food, she thanks him as she takes another sip.

"Yes." Bree nodded, still dazed. "Why are you being so nice to us?" She gestured to her and AZ.

Greer shrugs. "If the world is simple, certain people will never be inconvenienced, never need to adapt. I disrupt those people, and y'all do too. Doing it since you guys walked in the door. I like disruptors and rhythm breakers. We should start a club." AZ scrunches up her nose.

"A club?" She ponders a finger on her chin. "Not the worst thing in the world I guess." She resumes eating her plate of steak.

Bree spears a slice of hers. "Are there T-shirts for this club?" Whitty leans forward. "I think we should get matchin' hats, y'all." AZ points at him in agreement.

"Okay but I'm the one who's going to come up with the designs. I don't trust y'all with the creative ideas of the outfits." AZ puts her hand out with more sass. The three Pages chuckle.

"Actually..Let's revote and kick AZ out of the club." Greer says with a hint of mischief.

"I second that." The two Pages across from her cling their cups.

"Oh my gosh guys relaaaaxxxx." AZ hisses and they laugh again.

Whitty whistles. "I don't know she makes it fun, I gotta stick beside her." AZ fake wipes tears.

"Thank God for Whitty." She praises.

Greer looks at Brees and AZs hair and then gestures to theirs. Tonight it's thick double fishtail braids that extend from their crown to the bottom of each shoulder blade. " Matching hats? And cover up these gorgeous coifs? Get outta here with that trash idea, Whitlock." AZ covers her laugh with her mouth. These people were funny as hell.

"You see how they treat me y'all?"  Whitty tsks. "Rude."

Just as people start drifting to the dessert table, Lord Davis enters the room. Nick stands at his father's side. All eyes turn to them. "Hello, everyone. Thank you for your well wishes. Our healer, Scion Sitterson, believes I will be fully recovered before the weekend." All around, members brush the pads of their fingers in circles for the shhhhhhh of approval. "Unfortunately, it is premature for celebration. As I'm sure you all know by now, last night our fourth-ranked Scion, Felicity Caldwell, was Called to service by her knight, Sir Lamorak. And it is true that the fifth-ranked Scion of Kay was Called last week at our sister chapter in the North."

AZ hears a familiar voice shout. "Last week?" Fitz. "Why didn't someone tell us?" Quiet nods of agreement.

"I understand your frustration," Davis says. "The Regents wished to keep this Awakening quiet, since it has been more than fifty years since a fifth-ranked Scion was Called. The truth is, there have been increased Shadowborn attacks at all chapter campuses. More Gates opening and more partial-corp crossings. Last night's fully corporeal uchel made it plain that the Shadowborn are gaining strength and may be coordinated. There is even talk of sightings of the Line of Morgaine."

Bree blinks. AZ narrows her eyebrows in confusion before realization hit her. Morgaine. She leans her head back and sighs. "Oh, you gotta be shittin." She comments. Unfortunately some Pages including her friends had turned to look at her when she said that. She zipped her lip quietly and paid attention back to Dr. Davis.

"We must prepare for the callings of Tristan, Lancelot, and Arthur." He looks up at Nick, pride plain on his face.

"'Yet some men say in many parts of England that King Arthur is not dead, but had by the will of our Lord Jesus into another place...'" He gestures for Nick to finish the quote. Nick's brow knits at the performance, but he complies. "'And men say that he shall come again."

"'And men say that he shall come again,'" Davis repeats, the words like gospel. "Le Morte d'Arthur. Malory. A man who knew our cycles of war. Who knew of Camlann." He looks at the chapter and addresses them all once more. But before he could, someone else cut in.

"And what of Nimue?" It was a Vassal man. "She is a key part to all of this. There hasn't even been a sighting of her and her purpose." Lord Davis lets out a sigh as he tries to calm down the crowd which decided to rile up again. AZ tries to act uninterested as she grabs a bowl of cherry ice cream but really her ears are perked up the highest

"How are we supposed to move forward if she is the one to ensure when Arthur is called again." Lord Davis shows a flash of hesitance before answering.

"Only Nimue can determine when its time and when it is she shall make her appearance. We can't force her way out but this has happened for centuries. I don't doubt the calling won't happen, we have already moved up this far." Davis calmly raises his hand up. "Ladies and Gentlemen please."

AZ licks the spoon of ice cream before digging into another, she felt her hand tremble a bit.

"The Regents have decided that in order to prepare the Round Table for the worst-case scenario, we need to accelerate this year's tournaments at all chapters. We cannot wait months for Scions of any rank to select a Squire if they have not done so already. With that in mind, we will proceed with the first trial after tonight's meal, and conclude the tournament with the Selection ceremony in six weeks' time. As soon as possible, all Squires and Scions will be accounted for and bonded."

A few chairs scoot on the hardwood, more nervous glances and low murmurs now. Bree makes brief eye contact with Nick, who is already looking her own way. AZ finds William, leaning against the back wall. Pete Hood, the Scion of Owain looks nervous beside Evan. AZ lets out a low whistle. This really was the deep end.

"The Warrior's Oath is one of our most sacred vows, forever tying together Scion and Squire. Awakened pairs face death, be it on the battlefield or the Abatement. I tell you this, Pages, because this year's tournament and this year's Squire Selection are unlike any that this chapter has seen before." Davis pauses, templing his fingers.

"What may come to pass in the months ahead is something our Order has not witnessed in two hundred and fifty years. I must ask all Pages to think deeply, right now, on your commitments here and elsewhere. I, for one, will not blame you should you decide to serve the mission in other ways. And so, please stand if you would like to forfeit your place in this year's tournament."

Uneasy murmurs in the room now. Some of the third-year Pages and the one fourth-year, the ones who have been around the longest, share nervous glances. Finally, the fourth-year boy, Craig, stands, shame and fear on his face. A third year girl wearing a Gawain green necklace stands and forfeits. So does the small first-year boy, Lewis.

AZ watches in incredulity at them drop one by one. The number of competing Pages drops from fifthteen to twelve. Once they depart, the room is heavy with a single thought.

Camlann is coming

Hey guys happy December season 🎄 we are back on schedule, I hope I didn't keep you guys waiting too long and that you guys enjoyed this chapter.

It's so funny writing AZ telling people off 🤭 I rejoice in it fr

Please like comment and share! Feedback is always appreciated. Love yall who still stick back this story especially since the fandom is so small heart hands 🫶🏾

C,OUT!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86.1K 1.3K 35
"How did a girl get on an all boy volleyball team?" "I don't know!"
8.7K 155 16
When the newest character, top Ms. O is temporarily put in charge of Odd Squad, while Ms. O is off on a mission, something unusual happens. Otis fin...
44.6K 361 23
๐’๐“๐ˆ๐‹๐‹ ๐„๐ƒ๐ˆ๐“๐ˆ๐๐†!! ๐‰๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ข๐ž ๐‚๐จ๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ข๐ง๐ฌ, ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ๐ง ๐š๐ฌ ๐‰๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ฌ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐ญ๐ข๐ฆ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ก๐š๐ ๐ญ๐ฐ๐จ '๐›๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ ๐Ÿ๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ง๐๐ฌ' ๐ง๐š๐ฆ...
331K 4.8K 26
A Ginny & Georgia story -- What happens when Ginny has a hotter twin sister? A Marcus x Reader "Did you just call me Y/n?" "Why do your lips taste li...