Fake-Married to My Billionair...

By anselacorsino

"It doesn't have to be me." He lowers his head to brush his lips over mine. "I want it to be you, Kate." Raul... More

Author's Note - Please read this before you begin the story
Chapter 1.1 : A Wake-Up Call
Chapter 1.2 : A Wake-Up Call (part 2)
Chapter 2.1 : All My Friends Are Married (part 1)
Chapter 2.2 : All My Friends Are Married (part 2)
Chapter 3.1 : Two Proposals (part 1)
Chapter 3.2 : Two Proposals (part 2)
Chapter 4 : Finding A Bride
Chapter 5 : An Invitation
Chapter 6 : Sleepover
Chapter 7 : A Marin Bride
Chapter 8 : Separate Rooms
Chapter 9.1 : Not Mrs. Marin (part 1)
Chapter 9.2 : Not Mrs. Marin (part 2)
Chapter 10 : Honeymoon 🌶🌶🌶
Chapter 11 : A Probationary Period
Chapter 12 : Any Kind of Drama
Chapter 13 : Nightcap
Chapter 14 : A Weekend Apart 🌶
Chapter 15 : It's Not A Date
Chapter 16 : Weakness
Chapter 17 : Surprise
Chapter 18 : A Family Affair
Chapter 19 : Trap
Chapter 20 : Unspoken
Chapter 21 : Overtime
Chapter 22 : The Wedding Planners
Chapter 23 : Very Bad Decisions
Chapter 24 : Too Perfect 🌶
Chapter 25 : Nothing to Do With Love
Chapter 26 : Confession
Chapter 27 : No Negotiations
Chapter 28 : Protecting Her
Chapter 29 : Something Unsaid
Chapter 30 : Never Leave Me
Chapter 31 : Indefinitely Yours
Chapter 32 : An Offer
Chapter 33 : Cherchez La Femme
Chapter 34 : A Token of Affection
Chapter 36 : Uninvited
Chapter 37 : Necessary Measures
Chapter 38 : Fooled
Chapter 39 : A Practical Woman
Chapter 40 : End of the Party
Chapter 41 - Just for Tonight (Part 1)
Chapter 41 : Just For Tonight (Part 2)
Chapter 42 : A Private Matter
Chapter 43 : One of Us
Chapter 44 : Dead End
Chapter 45 : Safe
Chapter 46 : Caged
Chapter 47 : Accusations
Chapter 48 : Preparations
Chapter 49 : The Secrets We Keep
Chapter 50 : Trust
Chapter 51 : Pretenses
Chapter 52 : Confrontation
Chapter 53 : One Last Dance
Chapter 54 : Gamble
Chapter 55 : Reckless
Chapter 56 : Tell Him
Chapter 57 : This Side of Justice
Chapter 58 : Post Mortem
Chapter 59 : One of Their Own
Chapter 60 : Just Visiting
Chapter 61 : Witness

Chapter 35 : Por que la belleza sobra

2.3K 199 14
By anselacorsino

Raul's POV

I hold Kate's hand as we're led through the restaurant to our table where Marcus, Gigi, and her cousin are seated.

Marcus gets up first, then Adan Suarez who opens his arms in welcome. "Raul, it's good to see you again," he says.

"Si, it's been a while," I say, shaking his hand. Before I can introduce my wife and her sister, he surprises me.

"It's good to see you again, Kate."

Frowning in confusion, I turn to Kate. She's staring at him, slack-jawed. "It's you!" she says.

"Indeed it is." He offers her his hand 

Her face lights up in a bright smile and she shakes his hand. "I had no idea you were... uh..."

He lifts her hand to his lips, admiration in his gaze. "You're just as beautiful as ever, Señora Marin."

I expected Kate to correct him but all she does is flush in... embarrassment? Pleasure?

"Thank you."

"I see you've met," I say.

For a second I thought they'd forgotten I was there. Then Kate turns to me.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Yes we, uhm, met at the Boston Spring Ball four years ago."

That seems innocuous enough. The BSB is the biggest annual charity event in the city. We attend it every year, and I always insisted that Kate accompany me and my family. I think I have met him there once or twice, but I had no idea that he and Kate got acquainted.

"You've changed your hair," Adan says, his gaze intent. "It suits you."

Her hand flies up to touch her hair self-consciously. "Thanks," she says.

I stare at my wife. Did she just giggle?

"Hello, Gigi," she says, giving my ex a warm smile. "This is my sister Maricar."

"Hi Kate," Gigi says. "Very nice to meet you, Maricar. I hope you don't mind sitting next to Marcus?"

"It's fine, thanks."

To my surprise, Marcus pulls out a chair for Maricar. That's odd. I'd never seen him do that except for elderly women.

"Please," Adan says, pulling out the chair beside Kate.

I glare at him - helping my wife into her seat is my job - but he's too focused on Kate to notice.

"Oh!" She blushes even more as she sits down. "Uh, have you been to the ball since then?"

I sat to her left, on one end of the table, with Gigi across from me. Fortunately, Maricar agreed to come to dinner, which gave enough of a buffer between me and my ex. Kate's sister seems to be on more friendly terms with Marcus than the last time, which is a welcome development.

"Sadly no," Adan says, sitting down. "But I'm in town to meet with the Araceli Gabàs Foundation. We're discussing a possible partnership for education programs in Puerto Rico."

"Oh, that's wonderful," Kate says.

"We're hoping it will be. Are you currently involved in any charity work?"

"Not yet, but I intend to."

"Kate and I have only been married a month," I cut in. "But we will have the church ceremony in September, so she's been busy planning the wedding."

"How wonderful," Adan says.

"I hope you and Gigi could come," Kate says, smiling at Gigi.

"Oh, I wouldn't miss it! Thank you," she says. Her smile grows wider as she turns to me. "You didn't mention the wedding yesterday, Raul."

"It's not something I usually bring up during board meetings, Gigi," I say wryly.

"What a shame. It would definitely make them more interesting."

"I would be honored to attend, thank you," Adan says.

Kate turns to me and smiles. I smile back, although I'm not exactly happy about Gigi and Adan being at the wedding. Which is, admittedly, ridiculous. Gigi would be invited because every member of the board of directors would get an invitation. In fact, they'd be expected to be there. Adan being invited too isn't such a stretch, I just didn't like the way he's looking at Kate. "Excellent," I say, keeping the irritation out of my tone.

As the servers poured our drinks and waited for us to study the menu, Adan and Kate keep up their conversation.

"I've been considering government advocacy," Kate says. "So many problems are structural, I think. As much as donations help during a crisis, it's important that regulations and laws are in place to protect the vulnerable and marginalized."

"I couldn't agree more," Adan says, nodding. "Look, I know it's rather short notice, but I wonder if you'd like to come with me to meet with the foundation tomorrow." At her surprised expression, he adds, "It would help you get a feel of charity work if that's what you'd like to do."

"Won't they mind?"

"Meeting a respected member of the Marin family?" He scoffs. "They'll thank me for introducing you."

"Oh. In that case, I would love to go."

"Are you sure about that, mi amor?" I say, cutting in again. "Perhaps we could wait until after the wedding."

"Oh, it's just a meeting," Adan says. "No work at all."

"I'll be fine," she says. "My next appointment is with the wedding dress designer, and that won't be until next week."

"I see," I say.

"That's settled then." Adan looks pleased. He glances down at the menu. "So, what do you recommend, Kate?"

Later, as we are enjoying the main course, I leaned over to Kate, keeping my voice low as I spoke. "I assumed you'd be putting off work until after the baby is born," I say.

"Why would you assume that?" she says, her eyebrows raised. "Are you putting off work until after the baby is born?"

I blink. What the hell did I say that for? "I'm sorry. I don't know why..." I shake my head. "Of course, you can do anything you want."

"I'm not pregnant yet, Raul. When I am, I'll decide what to do about work."

I take her hand in both of mine. "I'm sorry, cariño. I didn't mean to be such a sexist pig about this." I kiss her palm. "Will you forgive me?"

She rolls her eyes. "Yes."

"Did you mean it when you asked me if I'd put off work until after the baby is born?" I give her a lazy grin.

"No, but I'm thinking about it." She narrows her eyes. "You're taking paternity leave, right?"

I honestly haven't thought about it. "Of course."

She smiles. "You'll come to prenatal classes?"

Prenatal classes. I have no idea what that is. "Try and stop me," I say with conviction.

"Did you just say prenatal classes?" Maricar says in a whisper. She's seated beside me, across from Kate. Her gaze goes from her sister then to me.

"Shhh," Kate says.

"'Nang Kate!" Maricar's eyes grow wide. "Mabdos ka?"

Kate shakes her head discretely.

"Raul, you do remember I can read lips, right?" Gigi says.

I groan. Damn it, how could I have forgotten. "I assume you're too polite to eavesdrop," I say.

She shrugs, then smiles before taking a sip of wine.

Marcus gives me a questioning look. I give a dismissive shake of my head.

"Nothing wrong, I hope?" Adan says.

"No, no," Kate says, slipping her hand from mine. "It's all good."

"You must be wondering why I invited you all to dinner tonight," he says, addressing me.

"Does it have to do with Gigi being on the board of directors?" I say.

"I feel this makes us family, in a sense. The Suarez Group and Marin-Elizondo are not in competition, so why not be friends?"

Not if he keeps fawning over my wife. "I think that's an excellent idea." I smile across the table at Gigi. "Is that what you want?"

"Of course," she says. "We Cubanos should stick together, yes?"

"I couldn't agree more," Adan says.

He brought two bottles of his own wine tonight- a dry, very bold Chateau Haut-Brion Pessac-Léognan 2016. If he was trying to impress us, he's doing a good job of it. Even my best friend who can't tell a Merlot from a pinot noir looked like he was enjoying it. Marcus raises his glass. "Salud," he says.

We each raise our glass, murmuring the toast. "Salud," I say.

"Salud," Adan says, then turning to Kate, adds, "Por que la belleza sobra."

She shakes her head, smiling. "Salud," she says.

"Is your wife not traveling with you?" I ask Adan after the toast is over.

"My wife, sadly, passed away six years ago," he says.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" Kate says. "She must have been so young."

"She was."

The look of grief on his face was sincere and I wanted to kick myself for not finding out about his late wife before tonight.

"I'm sorry," I say.

"Lupus. We did all we could but..." He pauses. "Some things are just beyond our control, you see?"

"I understand," Kate says, patting his hand.

"It must have been devastating," Maricar says, looking at him with sympathy.

"More than anything you can imagine."

"Are you seeing anyone?"

"Maricar!" Kate says.

"What?" Her sister turns to Adan. "That wasn't a rude question, was it?"

"No, no." He laughs. "I'm far too busy. But yes, once in a while I find the time. Sadly, I haven't found anyone I would like to have a serious relationship with." He grins at Raul. "You, my friend, are a lucky man."

"I know," I say.

"Marcus," he says. "What about you? Gigi says you're not married either."

"Uhm," Marcus says, taken off guard. "No."

"I've decided I would devote myself to work. And expanding our company's charitable foundation. Kate, I hope you're looking forward to our meeting tomorrow."

"Oh, absolutely," she says.

***

"You know he was flirting with you, right?" I say.

Kate and I are in our bedroom, undressing after having just gotten home from dinner. She takes off a shoe with a sigh of relief. "What?" she says.

"Adan. Flirting with you." I yank off my tie and toss it on a chair.

"Well... I thought that's just a thing you guys do." She takes off her other shoe. "I'm never getting used to these."

"Do you see me flirting with other men's wives?" I pull up a chair and prop it in front of where she sat on the foot of the bed.

"You forget I was your assistant for five years."

I lift her right leg and let her ankle rest on my knee. She sighs in bliss when I start rubbing her foot.

"I was single then," I say.

"You give the best foot rubs," she says. "Anyway, Adan is single now. I'm sure he doesn't mean anything by it."

"He better not."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

If you enjoyed this chapter, please show Raul and Kate some love by voting for it! If you want to read a spoilery preview of Chapter 36 "Uninvited", go on over to my blog:

https://anselacorsino.com/spoilers

Next update will be on Monday April 17  🎉.

I have the first part (of three) of a new Patreon-exclusive short story for my $10+ patrons. Part 2 is dropping next week. All patrons also get early access to advance chapters of FMMBB. Join the fun here:

https://patreon.com/ansela

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.5M 353K 49
WARNING!!! MATURE content for 18 years old and above!!! If you're an INNOCENT or NOT AN OPEN-MINDED reader, please refrain from reading this story! W...
31.3K 1.6K 50
Daisy has been a stripper all of her life against her wishes. With an annoyingly genius brother to take care of, she is ready to do whatever it takes...
304K 8.7K 21
A 21- years old average, innocent, beautiful, shy girl who works at a men wear shop. The son of the CEO and known as the mean, ruthless, arrogant bi...
115K 3.5K 37
Synopsis Mia finds out that her boss, Mateo Dela Cruz is sterile and could no longer have an heir to his multi-billion dollar company. He was very de...