RWBY: The Resonant Rōnin (Dis...

By QuiestcelaVie

Y/N de León had a horrible last few months on Earth with his mother and adoptive sister/wife dying back to ba... More

Prologue
Prologue Part 2
Chapter 1: The Shining Beacon
Chapter 2: The First Step
Chapter 3: The Emerald Forest
Chapter 4: Players and Pieces
Chapter 5: The Badge and the Burden
Chapter 6: Jaunedice
Chapter 7: Forever Fall
Chapter 8: The Stray
Chapter 9: Black and White
Chapter 10: The Dojo
Chapter 11: Best Day Ever
Chapter 12: Welcome to Beacon
Chapter 13: Painting the Town
Chapter 14: Extracurricular
Chapter 15: Inner Demons
Chapter 16: Dance Dance Revolution
Chapter 17: Field Trip
Chapter 18: Search and Destroy
Chapter 19: No Brakes
Chapter 20: Breach
Chapter 21: 🍋 The Spartan and the Ronin 🍋
Chapter 22: Round One
Chapter 23: New Challengers
Chapter 24: Lessons Learned
Chapter 25: Never Miss a Beat
Chapter 26: Fall
Chapter 27: Destiny
Chapter 28: Just the Beginning
Chapter 29: Heroes and Monsters
Chapter 30: No End in Sight
Chapter 31: Cinder's Choice
Chapter 32: Moving On
Chapter 33: The Next Step
Chapter 34: Remembrance
Chapter 35: Voyage in Tranquility
Chapter 36: Family
Chapter 37: Tipping Point
Chapter 38: A Much Needed Talk
Chapter 39: Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back
Chapter 40: Taking Control
Chapter 41: Dread in the Air
Chapter 42: Unforeseen Complications
Chapter 43: Necessary Sacrifice
Chapter 44: Known by its Song
Chapter 45: Alone Together
Chapter 46: A Perfect Storm
Chapter 47: True Colors
Chapter 48: The More, the Merrier
Chapter 49: The Vault of the Spring Maiden
Chapter 50: Haven's Fate
Chapter 51: Argus Limited
Chapter 53: The Coming Storm
Chapter 54: Alone in the Woods
Chapter 55: Enter Argus
Chapter 56: Lost
Chapter 57: Stealing from the Elderly
Chapter 58: The Lady in the Shoe
Chapter 59: Seeing Red
Chapter 60: Our Way
Chapter 61: The Best Kingdom
Chapter 62: A New Approach
Chapter 63: Ace Operatives
Chapter 64: Pomp and Circumstance
Chapter 65: Sparks

Chapter 52: Uncovered

134 4 0
By QuiestcelaVie

Charugna P.O.V.

Flashback

I drifted in the dark water on my back.

My eyes opened as I woke up, twitching as I looked up and realized Haven is not destroyed and I activated my Maiden Powers.

I started crawling out of the pool of water onto the shore of the cave. I looked up to see light pouring through the crack as well as the sound of howling wind. I then looked up to notice the Vault under Haven Academy, where I fought Raven.

I staggered out of the cave and into the rain. I struggled to walk for a bit before collapsing to the ground, dragging myself through the mud. I heard a woman approach.

"Gods, are you okay?" The woman, holding a basket of food, looked down at me in concern. "Where did you...?"

I crawl forward and activate my Maiden Powers as the woman drops the basket and screams.

Flashback end

Dressed in the cloak of the woman I encountered weeks ago, I step out of an alleyway.

I look to my left and notice a holographic screen showing portraits of my allies and I. A subtitle below says 'LAST KNOWN LOCATION: HAVEN ACADEMY, APPROXIMATELY ONE MONTH AGO'.

"The perpetrators, Charugna Hyacinth, Hazel Rainart, Emerald Sustrai, and Mercury Black have still not been seen since the attack and are presumed to have fled the city. The Mistral police department is offering a reward to any citizen..."

Realizing I'm a wanted criminal, I put my hood up to conceal my identity.

"I have to get back to Salem before bounty hunters come after me."

I walk out into the rainy streets of Mistral, among crowds of people with their umbrellas up. People still carry out their businesses as usual, both legally and illegally. As I continue walking, I notice a symbol - a spiderweb with a spider in it - etched into the wall.

I walk into a restaurant, with some of the customers bearing tattoos similar to the symbol on the wall. I walk up to a lady, who I presume is leader of the gang. The lady notices me just as she was about to have her meal.

"That's far enough." Her two bodyguards walk up to me, blocking my way. I drop a sack full of Lien on the table. "Okay."

The bodyguards step back and I take a seat across from her.

"You're Lil' Miss Malachite?" Lil' Miss takes out her hand fan.

"I'm Lil' Miss Gon'-Skin-You-Alive if you ever take that tone with me again. Looks like your life's savings."

"It was somebody's." Lil' Miss laughs.

"Cute. What do you want for it?"

I pull out my Scroll, showing portraits of Y/N, Team RWBY, Pyrrha, Nora, Coco, Velvet, M/N, Qrow, and Oscar.

"I'm looking for these travelers." Lil' Miss's eyes widen as she sees Y/N's picture, then she smirks.

"Well, sweetheart, you came to the right place." I look behind me, noticing a man entering and being greeted by his group of friends sitting around a table. Lil' Miss chuckles. "You know, I used to be afraid of spiders. Want to know what I did about it?"

"Well, the world needs spiders, doesn't it?" Lil' Miss smirks.

"That's right. I just made the spiders work for me." I look around, noticing all of the customers have the tattoo of spiderweb, insinuating that they all work for Lil' Miss. "Give us a week, we'll find your travelers."

Lil' Miss P.O.V.

As the client gets up and leaves, my bodyguard speaks to me.

"Lil' Miss, we already know where they are. That big guy asked about 'em last week." I nod.

"I know we know, but what we don't know is who here in Mistral might be asking about her..."

"You want to know who will ask about her?" I turn my head to the pillar to see a tall woman with a wide brim hat and eyepatch appear with a smirk. "Lucky me." I raise an eyebrow.

"Black Tyger?"

"Bingo." She holds out her Scroll to pull up the pictures of Emerald and Mercury, the taps them. "I'm after these two numbskulls and who Charugna wants to know the location of as well, especially since Cinder and Neo were with them before, so they have to be with them now. And getting to Charugna will surely get me closer to fulfilling my revenge." Black Tyger looks down to me. "Now. Do you have the rifle you promised me as payment?"

I nod and snap my fingers, as one of my guards picks up the briefcase next to me and hands it to Black Tyger. She opens the briefcase and smirks as she pulls it out.

A/N: Headwind- an easy carry sniper rifle. By JollyJoseph

============================================================

Third Person P.O.V.

Ruby scours through the train wreckage and picks up Dust bullets, before looking to see the Relic of Knowledge slightly buried in the snow nearby. Yang complains as she struggles to get Bumblebee out of the snow as Y/N pulls his bike out and grabs Yang's bike and pulls it out himself.

"Great! This is just great! We're stranded, we lost about half of our party, and we've gained a defenseless old lady!" The lady speaks up.

"My name is Maria Calavera, and I am not defenseless! I'm just a little hard of hearing. And blind without my eyes, that are in desperate need of repair." She taps on her prosthetics, which open wide and close, before opening narrowly again. "Okay, I'm starting to see your point." Qrow grunts.

"Yang, knock it off, will ya? If we lose our cool now, we'll just be inviting even more Grimm."

Blake raises an eyebrow.

"Does that even matter? Apparently, we've been attracting Grimm ever since we left Haven."

"Oh, and how could I forget about that? What happened to no more lies and half truths?" M/N glares.

"Yeah, I think it's time we got an explanation..." Oscar's eyes glow as control of his body is switched to Ozpin, who furrows his brow at Yang's accusations.

"I did not lie to you..." Weiss rubs her eyes.

"Well you certainly didn't tell us everything about the Relic."

"Please, now is not the time." M/N blows up.

"No, we're past that! We want to know why you're still not telling us everything!"

"It is true that the Grimm are attracted to the Relics. It's faint, but undeniable. I believe it has to do with their origin, but I'm not entirely sure. Regardless, I feared that making you all aware would only add anxiety and negativity. It seemed like the safer option." Weiss sighs.

"You know, I'm getting real tired of people choosing what's best for me."

Yang asks, "Is that why you chose to lie to everyone about Lionheart too?"

Ozpin places his cane in snow as he turns back to everyone in Oscar's body.

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I believed the Kingdom of Mistral deserved better than the truth. And I believed Leonardo deserved to be remembered for his lifetime of service, and not for the unfortunate missteps he made in his final years." Y/N snarls.

"Seriously? Missteps? Hundreds of Huntsmen from Mistral are now dead because of him sending their information to Salem. All to save his tail." Ozpin sighs.

"What Professor Lionheart did was reprehensible. I am not here to argue differently, but does one lapse in judgment truly negate all of his good? Do we not all have regrets? You may have met Professor Lionheart, but you never met the man he was before Salem found him?"

"And the man before doesn't balance out the man he became. He chose to follow Salem and Salem found him because he took an interest in her." Yang calms down.

"Look, we're supposed to be in this together. You can trust us! We're not gonna turn our backs on you."

Ozpin raises his voice, "Do you really think Leo was the first?!" Everyone stops. "That he didn't say those exact same words to me? I'm sorry, but you have to understand that my behaviors are backed by experience. I'm not saying that I have reason to think you will betray me. I'm saying that I have reasons for the things that I do, the secrets I keep, the reason I... Where's the Relic?"

Ruby holds it up.

"Right here. It got scattered in the crash."

"Please, hand it over."

Ozpin reaches his hand out, but Ruby hesitates.

"So all those times you talked about having faith in humanity, that was just for everyone else?" Ozpin sighs.

"That's not what I meant to suggest. Miss Rose, the Relic is a powerful item and I simply feel as though it is my burden to bear."

"But, you said it couldn't do anything right now." Blake tilts her head.

"Why does it matter who carries it?"

"I need you to listen to me--" Ozpin reaches his hand out, but suddenly is stopped, stuck in his position.

Qrow asks in concern, "Oz?"

Oscar fights back for control.

"Hurry... he's... trying to stop you!" Yang's eyes widen.

"Stop us from what?"

"He's afraid... you'll find out what he's... hiding!" Oscar suddenly collapses, Yang, Weiss, and Blake glare at the boy with intense looks while Ruby holds the Relic of Knowledge defensively, then hands it to Y/N as he holds it behind his back. "Her name is Jinn. Say her name to summon her."

Y/N tilts his head.

"Her name?" The wind picks up much more gradually, blowing snow even harder. The Relic starts to glow in Y/N's hands. "Jinn?"

Suddenly, the snow stops, floating in midair. The wind stops blowing too.

Qrow and M/N's eyes widen in shock.

"What?"

Y/N then lets go of the Relic as it floats a short distance away, cyan smoke emanates from it. Suddenly, the lamp is enveloped in the smoke, and from it, a giant, feminine figure emerges. Her skin and hair is colored blue, and decorated with gold jewelry and ornaments. The figure stretches and moans as she has been awakened once again. This is Jinn, the aforementioned being inhabiting the Relic of Knowledge.

"Wonderful." Everyone stares in awe at Jinn. "Tell me, what knowledge do you seek?"

Calavera adjusts her goggles to get a better look at what's in front of her as Y/N crosses his arms with the Relic in hand.

"I am Jinn, a being created by the God of Light to aid Humanity in its pursuit of knowledge. I've been graced with the ability to answer three questions every one hundred years. You're in luck, as I am still able to answer--"

"That's enough!" Everyone looks to Ozpin, who managed to regain control over Oscar's body.

"... two questions this era." Everyone is shocked, despite Ozpin telling them that the Relic won't work for them beforehand. Jinn chuckles. "It's a pleasure to see you again, old man."

"Please... Don't."

Qrow glances to Ozpin, and steps forward.

"Hey."

M/N narrows her eyes and shakes her head as she places her hand on Qrow's shoulder as he relents. M/N looks to Y/N.

"Do whatever you think is right, son."

Y/N looks down.

"Jinn?" Y/N turns around to face Jinn, who has a curious look on her face, while Ozpin grits Oscar's teeth in anger. Y/N smirks as he looks to Ozpin. "What is Ozpin hiding from us?"

"NOOOOOOO!!"

Y/N turns around with a raised eyebrow. Ozpin lunges forward and is about to touch Y/N, but suddenly, Y/N finds himself alone in a blank white space.

Y/N, Team RWBY, M/N, and Qrow appear and suddenly, an environment manifests, showing a path leading to a castle in the distance. A woman humming can be heard.

"Once upon a time, there stood a lonely tower..."

Smoke envelops Y/N as he appears next to a girl.

"...that sheltered a lonely girl."

A rather beautiful woman sitting in front of a mirror then appears.

"Named... Salem."

============================================================

Yang is shell shocked.

"Salem can't be killed... you all heard her too, right?"

Y/N and Team RWBY angrily glare at Ozpin, whose head is still down. He looks up, with tears streaming down his face. Qrow just looks away.

"I--" M/N walks up to Ozpin and looks down at him.

"There was so much you hadn't told us, Ozma! How could you think that was okay?!"

Ozpin doesn't say anything, he just hangs his head back down in shame.

Ruby asks, "Professor... What is your plan to defeat Salem?"

"I... don't have one..."

Suddenly, Qrow tries to punch Ozpin as M/N holds him back.

"Qrow!"

"Let me go!"

"No! That's not Ozpin's body! That's Oscar's!"

"No one wanted me... I was cursed... I gave my life to you because you gave me a place in this world... I thought I was finally doing some good..."

Ozpin responds tearfully, "But, you are!"

"Meeting you... was the worst luck of my life..."

Ozpin stares back in disbelief upon hearing Qrow say that, before looking down dejected.

"Maybe you're right..."

Ozpin's eyes glow as control is transferred back to Oscar.

Ruby asks, "What happened?" Oscar looks down.

"He's... gone." Yang glares.

"That bastard! Tell him we're not done yet!"

"No, this is different. He's gone. It-- It's like he's locked himself deep inside my head. Our head?" Oscar grunts. "I hate this! I want it to stop!"

Weiss asks, "He just left us?"

Blake's eyes widen.

"What are we gonna do now?"

Yang growls in anger while Blake and Ruby hug Y/N for support. Y/N whips his tail at a tree, getting everyone's attention.

"Everyone calm down!"

"He's right." Maria steps up as she continues, "We need to get move on. It'll be dark before we know it, and damn near every one of you is spewing negativity! There's a trail over there, trails usually lead somewhere."

Yang growls down.

"Lady, I don't know who you think you are but--"

M/N shakes her head, "No buts! I understand that you're upset. Honestly, I'm still coming to terms with the fact that this is humanity's second time around. But, if we don't move, we die." Maria moves forward.

"Yes. And I'll be damned if I've lived this long just to die out here in the cold!"

Ruby nods.

"She's right. Come on."

Everyone grabs their belongings and whatever Dust they can carry with them. Maria sits on Bumblebee as Yang walks her bike. Ruby walks over to Oscar and hands over the handle of his cane.

"I'm just going to be another one of his lives, aren't I?"

Ruby puts her hand on his shoulder.

"Of course not. You're your own person."

"Don't lie to him, Ruby." Qrow angrily says as he gulps his flask. "We're better than that."

Ruby and Oscar look down sadly before walking to join the others as Y/N and M/N Starlight and Holy Requiem in their naginata forms to defend everyone. Y/N sighs.

"He's at least his own person for now."

============================================================

In the Land of Darkness, five Nevermores fly away when an airship flies by them heading towards the Evernight Castle in the distance. The airship lowers down to an outcropping that serves as a dock, and Hazel and Mercury hop out. As they proceed forward, they notice Tyrian leaning against the entrance at the bottom of the stairs. His scorpion tail now has a spiked, metal tip covering it from where it was cut off. Tyrian laughs.

"Welcome back, welcome back! I do hope you missed us as much as we missed you."

Mercury glares at Tyrian. Hazel proceeds forward.

"Let's go."

The two proceed forward past Tyrian.

"Speaking of which, where is our Fall Maiden and Emerald?" Tyrian speaks in a mocking tone, "Don't tell me something happened to poor little Emerald? Hahahaha!" Mercury turns around and Mercury steps up to scare Tyrian away as he glares.

"Back off, freak."

"Oh, don't misunderstand, I am in mourning just as you. Because it appears you've failed our Queen, and that is a tragedy."

Tyrian drops his sympathetic façade and starts to laugh maniacally. Mercury looks back at him in disgust as him and Hazel turn around to proceed up the stairs as Tyrian continues laughing.

============================================================

Salem P.O.V.

In the meeting room, I open my eyes and glare at my subordinates. Tyrian and Watts are fearfully sitting at the table while Hazel and Mercury are kneeling at the other end of the room.

"I would like you to explain to me... how it is you failed so spectacularly?"

Hazel steps up.

"The Faunus Militia split our forces--"

"Stop." Hazel remains silent with a fearful expression on his face. "Let me rephrase the question - who is responsible for your defeat?"

Mercury stays kneeling as Hazel stands up to give his answer. I listen intently.

"I take full responsibility."

I angrily flip the table over, knocking Tyrian off his chair and Watts hastily stands up from his seat and backs away.

"But that wouldn't be fair now, would it?! We all know who's truly to blame..."

I walk forward and hold my hand out in front of me.

"I don't--"

I motion my hand, and a glyph with my symbol appears underneath Hazel. Multiple Shadow Hands come out from it and grab Hazel, forcing him down on all fours and suffocating him.

"Mercury..." I look over to Mercury, who is still staring down with a fearful expression. "I want you to tell me whose fault this was." I slowly walk over to Mercury as he breathes heavily. "Now."

"We failed because of Charugna."

"That's right. I want you to understand that failure. I want you to understand why Charugna must be left to toil in her isolation until she redeems herself."

I walk away from Mercury as he looks up in surprise.

"You mean... She's alive?" Watts grunts.

"You're joking, how could you know that?" Tyrian glares at Watts.

"Are you questioning our divine savior?!" Watts reels back.

"I..." I look over to Watts and glare at him. He chuckles nervously. "Of course not, forgive me."

I proceed to address my subordinates.

"It's important not to lose sight of what drives us: Love, justice, reverence... But, the moment you put your desires before my own... they will be lost to you." I release Hazel from my grasp and walks back to the other side of the room. Hazel catches his breath. "This isn't a threat. This is simply the truth. The path to your desires is only found... through me."

Hazel stands back up, Tyrian lets out a small chuckles, and Watts straightens his coat. I glance outside, where several Nevermores are flying, before looking down and closing her eyes.

"And so we must... press on. The Sword under Vacuo's academy, Shade--"

"Ma'am." Everyone looks at Hazel, Tyrian glaring. "I have... more to report."

My eyes narrow, and I spread my hands, causing the Grimm arms to appear around Hazel's feet again. Hazel looks down at them nervously before explaining himself.

"Qrow, M/N, and their young companions are taking the Lamp to Atlas." Tyrian laughs.

"Not if I can help it."

"And they're being led... by Ozpin."

At this, everyone slowly looks toward me with fearful expressions on their faces and Mercury notices the windows starting to crack.

Tyrian asks, "So soon?!"

"He's the only man with a chance of getting through to Ironwood. If that happens..." Watts suddenly stops as he and everyone else notice the windows cracking. They then look at me, and dark smoke emanates from me.

"Leave..."

"Your Grace, I can..."

I glare at Tyrian, causing him to reel back.

Everyone quickly proceeds to exit the room as the windows start to crack even more. I, left alone, seethe with anger before calming myself down. Everything is quiet, but then I yell out in lividity and the windows violently shatter.

============================================================

Third Person P.O.V.

Back in the snow...

Y/N, M/N, Team RWBY, Qrow, Oscar, and Calavera proceed on the trail. The snow starts to pick up even more as row sighs.

"Doesn't look like this is gonna let up." Blake sighs.

"Just wanna get this stupid Relic to Atlas." Weiss sighs as well.

"Let's hope we don't have to walk all the way there."

M/N speaks up, "Everyone, quiet. Do you hear that?"

Everyone stops in their tracks to hear a metallic squeaking. They see a large farm, one of the front gates swings back and forth with the wind. A large sign above the entrance reads 'BRUNSWICK FARMS'. Everyone arrives at the gate.

Blake sighs.

"Well, at least one good thing happened today." Weiss sharply exhales.

"It looks abandoned." Ruby smiles.

"It's still better than this." Qrow turns to everyone.

"Come on, I think we could all use some rest."

Everyone proceeds through the farm's gates, with Qrow and M/N being the last to enter. The snow starts to pick up even more as the gate closes with a metallic clang.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.6K 345 12
(Remake of the Old Story) When a young Rose was abused for most of his life, ran away into the arms of Evil. Grown up to be a 'bad man' by society bu...
7.8K 190 43
Here is the sixth volume of this fanfiction I'm doing. (Keep in mind that this whole story and fanfic I'm doing is based on Celtic Phoenix's Fixing...
259K 3.6K 35
Good or evil. Life or death. Light or dark. Living or dying. None of those mattered to (y/n). For as long as he could remember he never really felt a...
331 17 6
Y/n loves his family. So much so that he is willing to be put in the line of the huntsman's eyes for them. But when the time comes he will have to ma...