The Lieutenant's Love

By TJLew182

Sage Sloan is the younger sister of Mark Sloan. She grew up with the Shepherd family along with her brother u... More

Cast
A Hard Day's Night
The First Cut Is the Deepest
Winning a Battle, Losing the war
Shake Your Groove Thing
If Tomorrow Never Comes
The Self-Destruct Button
Save Me
Who's Zoomin who?
Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head
Enough is Enough
Make Me Lose Control
Deny, Deny, Deny
Bring the Pain
Into You Like a Train
Something to Talk About
Let It Be
Thanks for the Memories
Much Too Much
Grandma got run over by a Reindeer
Begin the Beginning
Tell Me Sweet Little Lies
Break on Through
It's the End of the World
As We Know It
Yesterday
What Have I Done to Deserve This?
Band-Aid Covers the Bullet Hole
Superstition
The Name of the Game
Blues for Sister Someone
Damage Case
17 Seconds
Testing 1-2-3
Didn't We Almost Have it All?
A Change is Gonna Come
Love/Addiction
Let the Truth Sting
The Heart of the Matter
Haunt You Every Day
Kung Fu Fighting
Physical Attraction...Chemical Reaction
Forever Young
Crash Into Me
Crash Into Me pt 2
Lay Your Hands on Me
Where the Wild Things Are
Piece of My Heart
The Becoming
Losing My Mind
Freedom pt 1
Freedom pt 2
Wedding Bells
Dream a Little Dream
Here Comes the Flood
Brave New World
There's No I in Team

Owner of a Lonely Heart

3.4K 135 6
By TJLew182

While the other interns were assigned an individual quint Addison had me keeping track of them as a group. Izzie, George, Meredith and Cristina sat with their assigned quint while I sat at the incubator of Alex's quint because he wasn't there.

"I have the best quint. Lucy, she just smiled at me," George said.

"She's nine hours old, George," Izzie said.

"I'm saying there are 5 babies here and clearly mine is the advanced one," George said.

"Charlotte's smart. She's got wrinkles on her forehead, very serious," Meredith said.

"Okay, A. This is not a competition and B. my quint kicks your quints' asses. Emily is strong, she won't let go of my finger," Izzie said.

"Ah, hey! Julie has her organs on the outside of her body and she's still alive thank you," Cristina said.

"Kate's the best one," Alex said walking in. "Izzie," Alex had been caught sleeping with Olivia.

"Leave," Izzie said.

"Can we please just talk?" Alex tried.

"You're too busy screwing nurses to talk. Just get out," Izzie said.

"Can someone make sure that Kate's vitals remain stable?" Alex asked.

"I will," I said. Alex left.

"He's unbelievable! I am so glad I never slept with him which is his loss because I'm really good in bed. Mind-blowing. Mind-blowingly good in bed," Izzie said.

"Are you trying to seduce us?" Cristina asked.

"And then he sleeps with Olivia instead of me. Olivia," Izzie said.

"Hey, I slept with Olivia," George said.

"Yeah well then you both have bad taste," Izzie said.

"You know you can't say that you weren't warned. Alex has always been Alex," George said.

"You dodged a bullet, Iz, you're better off without him," Meredith said.

"Why are you even surprised? Sleep with a snake, you get bit," Cristina said.

"Thanks, guys. For the support," Izzie said upset.

"Who's on call tonight?" Dr Bailey asked walking in.

"I am," I said.

"All right, the rest of you go home. Sleep. All 5 quints are still alive. It's a good day," Dr Bailey said walking out. Everyone else walked out.

Timeskip

I was in the NICU when Addison came in with Tom and Dorie who was in a wheelchair.

"Morning," I said.

"Any issues overnight?" Addison asked as Tom and Dorie made their way around the incubators.

"No. No post-op complications or symptoms of complications. Their charts are at the nurses' station," I said. Addison began doing basic checkups as the rest of the interns and Dr Bailey walked in.

"Oh good here you are. Mom and Dad are anxious for an update. Dr Yang?" Addison asked as Tom helped Dorie back into her wheelchair.

"Ah we've done the initial surgery on Julie's omphalocele. A primary closure was attempted but there was pulmonary comprise, so we couldn't continue..." Cristina was cut off by Dr Bailey.

"Yang, how about we do this in plain English?" Dr Bailey asked.

"Oh, um we operated on Julie's external sac of organs and we pushed in as much of the bowel we could and we think we can push in the rest with a second operation," Cristina said.

"She has to have a second operation? Dorie sighed.

"Yeah. Uh well, not for a few days," Cristina said after Dr Bailey elbowed her.

"Dr O'Malley," Addison said.

"We put Lucy's brain shunt in yesterday and she's doing very well, but we just have to keep monitoring her to make sure the spinal fluid doesn't back up," George said.

"Stevens," Addison said.

"Dr Burke used a catheter to open Emily's atrial septum last night. Today we're going to go in and try to reconstruct the left chamber of her heart. We're very hopeful," Izzie said.

"Dr Grey," Addison said.

"Charlotte's lungs were a little more underdeveloped than the rest of the quints so we put a special mask on her to help her breathe and we're monitoring her closely," Meredith said.

"And that just leaves Kate," Addison said.

"She seems to be pretty healthy. No major issues have been identified but we're going to keep her in the isolette till she makes it to 4 pounds," Alex said.

"Dr Sloan," Addison said.

"There was no cause for concern overnight. All quints made it through the night without developing any more issues," I said.

"I'll be in my room," Dorie said getting wheeled out by a nurse.

"Dr Bailey, am I able to keep Dr Sloan?" Addison asked.

"Sure," Dr Bailey said.

Timeskip

I was leaning against the nurses' station. Addison walked over.

"Hey," Addison said.

"Hey, Derek and Meredith are in there so I came out here for a little bit," I said.

"That's okay. I got you breakfast. Bacon, cheesy scrambled egg, sausage and avocado toasted sandwich," Addison said.

"Thank you," I said. I started eating. "Did you actually sleep last night?"

"Yes," Addison said.

"Good," I smiled.

"Did you sleep?" Addison asked.

"Nope. But I did beat a personal record for pushups and situps while reading the latest neonatal medical journal," I said. Addison laughed. "This is a really good sandwich,"

"It's from a cafe we drive past every day to come here," Addison said.

"Here try some," I said holding out the sandwich. Addison took a bite.

"That is a nice sandwich," Addison said. I nodded. "I've got to go but you'll page me if anything goes wrong?"

"Yep," I said.

Timeskip

I was in the NICU when Meredith wheeled in Dorie.

"How's that gonna help? If I've learned anything in these last few days is that I need to face reality," Dorie said. Meredith wheeled her over to Kate's incubator.

"Here's Kate. You can reach in and touch her if you like," Meredith said.

"I would like to very much," Dorie said. A heart monitor went off.

"Dr Sloan, Charlotte's not breathing," A nurse said opening the incubator as I made my way over. I pulled out my stethoscope and checked her lungs.

"Okay, I need you to page Addison Shepherd for me please," I said to another nurse. "Mer take Dorie back to her room. She doesn't need to see this," I said. I heard the wheelchair rolling out. I put a breathing mask over Charlotte and started ventilating her. Addison rushed in.

"What happened?" Addison asked.

"She had an apneic episode. She's still not breathing on her own," I said as Addison came in and checked the baby's lungs. I moved to the other side to continue ventilating.

"Let's intubate and give her surfactant. Push 0.1 atropine and 3mg of ketamine," Addison said.

"Meds are in," A nurse said.

"Tube," Addison said. I attached the tube to the intubation. "Okay, place the CO2 detector,"

"She was doing fine with the chest tube," I said.

"That's the thing with RDS cases. We think the baby's getting better. They slip right back," Addison said checking the baby's chest again. "Breath sounds equal. Good,"

"Dorie was in here when this happened. I had Grey take her back to her room," I said.

"Okay," Addison said.

Timeskip

I sat in the NICU writing in charts while Alex was researching how to save a patient that he nearly killed yesterday.

"Are you a part of that girl code hate Alex club?" Alex asked.

"No. I hate girl drama really irritates me. Plus you remind me of my brother which should be concerning but it's kinda comforting," I said.

"I remind you of Dr Shepherd?" Alex asked.

"No, my other brother," I said.

Timeskip

I was still sitting in the NICU. Addison walked in.

"Come on we're going home," Addison said.

"I'm supposed to be on call," I said.

"You're swapping with Stevens. I'll explain in the car," Addison said.

"Okay," I said. I walked to the intern locker room and changed out of my scrubs before meeting Addison in the car. "So what was that about?"

"Izzie Stevens needs to learn a lesson about knowing when to care and when to act on sound medical decisions. Baby Emily's aorta is too narrow to supply blood. I've told Stevens if the baby makes it through the night that Burke will have another go at the Norwood but the baby won't make it," Addison said.

"Okay," I said. "Alex might come over later,"

"How fast can you work?" Addison asked.

"I can work as fast as you need," I said.

Timeskip

Alex and I were sat on the couch eating pizza while I was helping him study for the boards while the basketball game was on in the background. Addison walked out wearing one of my hoodies and sweatpants. Alex looked at me.

"Pizza?" I asked Addison. She took a slice.

"Nice hickey Blondie," Alex laughed. "Nice work," He said to Addison.

"You told him?" Addison asked.

"No. I didn't," I said.

"She didn't have to," Alex said.

"He won't tell anyone," I said. "Everyone hates him so nobody believes him," I said.

"True," Alex said.

"And if you don't study you won't be there long enough to tell people," I said to Alex.

"That was mean," Alex said.

"But true. Now study devil baby," I said.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.1K 519 103
When Addison Montgomery shepherd comes to town a week later her younger sister Scarlett Montgomery arrives and when Scarlett starts a job at Seattle...
43.4K 1.6K 16
You're holding me like water in your hands. grey's anatomy s1━s9 mark sloan & female oc
131K 2.9K 49
Ivy Sloan is the younger sister of the medical prodigy, Mark Sloan. Ivy has always been top of her class, straight A student. But she has also experi...
308K 6.5K 145
Ava Shepherd is the youngest Shepherd. Like all her siblings she is on her way to becoming an extraordinary surgeon but being the youngest didn't hol...