Un•A•Were

By the_lit_teacher

Amanda grew up in a peaceful town in North Georgia. She grew up being ignored by everyone at her school excep... More

Author's Note
1| Breakaway
2| Why her?
3| Weird Day
4| Friends
5| Homecoming
6| Butterflies
7| Making Moves
8| Pinky Promise
9| Perfect
10| Nerves
11| Memories
12| Beauty in Chaos
13| Rogues
14| Spring Festival
15| Revelations
16| A Night to Remember
17| Graduation
18| Broken
19| Mission
20| Secret Protector
21| Graduation, Part Deux
22| Mom's Story
23| Questions
24| Ice cream & Truths
25| Moving Forward
26| The Return
27| Starting Over
28| The Whole Truth
29| Fact or Fiction?
30| Explanations
31| He Knows
32| The Visit
33| More Secrets
34| Training Day
35| A Day Off
36| Happy Birthday?
37| Traitor
38| The Plan
39| Mating
40| Connection
41| Fight Club
42| Shifting
43| Opal
44| Divine Intuition
46| The Rescue
47| Face to Face
48| Healing
49| Initiation
50| Skip to the Good Part

45| The Letter Box

12 0 0
By the_lit_teacher

Amanda's POV:

To say my nerves and anxiety are all over the place and at their highest, would be the understatement of the century.

After Bryan left our room, my shaking hands remove the lid to the letter box. I am first in awe at how many envelopes, cards, folded sheets of notebook paper, scraps or post-it notes the box contains. Wow daddy! It seems you were in a hurry to give me as much fatherly advice as possible before...Opal whimpers in my head. I know, Opal. I whisper to her in my head. I take a few deep breaths and dig in.

Many of the cards represent sweet milestones he knew he would miss: birthdays, holidays, graduations...both of them...like he knew I was going to college at the age of nine. I am teary-eyed for most of them simply because he wasn't there to celebrate those moments with me and mom.

The scraps of paper and post-it's mostly covered the advice that apparently would hit him at random times, so he had to write them down on whatever paper was near by. He has so many great one-liners:

Blood isn't always family. Find your people and secure your circle.

Everyone has bad days, so be the friend willing to just be there.

Actions speak louder than words so always be observant because people will show you who they truly are.

Trust your instincts, they are there for a reason.

Love can be a double-edged sword that sinks in deep and leaves you to bleed so love moderately.

Determine your non-negotiables so you know what you stand for...otherwise people will continuously cross your boundaries without your permission.

Set your boundaries and know exactly what you expect from others.

If you find your person, nurture the bond and it will entangle itself to a strength unbreakable.

Be you, regardless of your flaws, mistakes, or circumstances.

Find your center and balance in nature and your powers will grow.

The last one makes me smile as he never knew I was, in fact, an elemental or that I would have a werewolf mate who was forced to turn me into one. Ever since these sides of my existence have surfaced, my appreciation for nature has grown exponentially. The cool breezes through the tall pines bring with it a symphony of alluring scents only nature knows how to make. I think back to Bryan's secret spot. The overwhelming beauty and serenity of it. Natural, untouched, untainted, perfection. My dad would have loved it as much as I do.

I take a small break to go to the bathroom, splash some water on my face, and grab more tissues before climbing back into bed. I have a feeling the letters are going to be much more intimate and emotional as these would be his final words to me.

I feel my control slipping on my emotions, but I am able to reign them in by meditating and doing my breathing exercises before opening the first letter. This will be my first true test of facing my turmoil and maintaining control. I have to be ready as war is already coming to our doorstep and the key to my success is remaining in control and using my powers to defeat the enemy. I take a few deep breathes and unfold the first letter.

It feels as if I've been here forever. Time stops. I'm brought to a different time and place as I imagine my father hunched at his desk writing these letters as my mother, unaware, is peacefully sleeping upstairs.

I already know I will read these letters again and again and again. They will be my connection to my father's memory. His legacy. By the 3rd letter, tears are flowing freely down my face like waterfalls spilling over the edge of a cliff and crashing back into the earth's crust. I feel Opal pushing positive vibes and comforting purrs toward me and it makes me feel less loneliness and despair. I look into the box and realize there's only one letter left. I gulp as this realization hits me. His final letter.

Dearest Mandy, my precious daughter,

This is my final letter to you as time is growing very short. I do not want you to be sad, but I want you to remember me with only love and positivity. I'm doing this to insure your safety, yours and your mother's. I'm sorry it has to be this way and you will have to cherish only memories. You will always be my little girl. Remember that daddy loves you!

I also want you to know I'm not naive or stupid in the ways of Alpha Marcus. I know he will never stop. Even after I'm gone, he will come for you, my precious babygirl. If this has come true, then I want to give you my last gift. It is the one chance to defeat him!

If I am correct in my assumption that you are in fact an elemental, the water elemental to be exact, then I have no doubt Alpha Xavier and Luna Rachel will reach out to Cora, the fire elemental, for help in training you. Listen to her and soak up all you can as she is one of the most well-trained people I've ever met. She will stand by you as she stood by me. She's one of my greatest confidants. You will need to include her in this last correspondence. She's the only other person that can know what I'm about to write.

This plan must be enacted at the right time, in the right moment. You may have to fight off rogues, use evasive maneuvers, and even take some hits. It cannot take place until only Alpha Marcus remains. I know he will have tricks up his sleeve, so you will need to draw him in. You will also need to block others from intervening or they will be inadvertently hurt. Only Cora can assist you.

In order to defeat Alpha Marcus, you will need to...my eyes widen when reading the last lines of his letter.

"Holy shit!" I breath out. I immediately know there's no time to waste. I need to talk to Cora asap! I mindlink Bryan. Hey Bryan, I hope I'm not interrupting your meeting, but is there any way you can set up a meeting with Cora and I. It's kind of important.

Hey babygirl! No, you're not interrupting! I'm actually with her now as I needed to fill her in on a few things. Everything okay? his words are laced with concern. I smile slightly knowing how worried he is about me opening my father's box alone.

Everything is as it should be, but I have something important to tell her from my father and I think it best if we talk about it face to face. Where are you? I replied.

We are at the training grounds. I'll let her know you're coming.

Okay, be there shortly. I close the link and immediately put on my shoes and rush out of our room. I race down the stairs, passed several people shooting questioning looks, but I have no time to ponder how I must look like a crazy person. Sorry peeps! I'm on a mission! I rush out the back door to the training grounds.

I get there as Bryan is finishing his debrief with Cora. They both turn to me with curious and quizzitive looks. I am instantly engulfed in my loving mate's arms. He leans his head down and nuzzles my neck. I lean into his embrace as I need his love and affection after being so emotionally raw. I hear Cora clear her throat as my cheeks turn pink and I bury my face further into Bryan's chest to hide my embarrassment. I hear her chuckle. Bryan releases his sturdy grip on me and kisses my temple lightly.

"Sorry about that, Cora. It's been a long day and I just needed a moment with my mate." Bryan explains, although unnecessary. "I know you have questions, as do I, but I have warriors awaiting orders and we need to make final preparations before Alpha Marcus arrives with his goons." My eyes snap to his as he finishes speaking. Fear, panic, and anxiety strike my core at his words.

"Wha—t do you mean?" I force out.

"He's decided to rear his ugly head earlier than expected so we've expedited our plan." A quick flash of fear spreads over his face awaiting my reaction to the news.

"Everyone WILL be ready! Go to them and I will speak with Cora about something I found." He cocks one eyebrow up in curiosity, but he knows there isn't time now to discuss this. He gives me a quick kiss and leaves the training center.

I wait until the door closes and turn to face Cora. "I know how to defeat Alpha Marcus with the help of my dad!" Cora's eyes and mouth go wide with shock. "Read this!" I say while shoving my father's letter over to Cora.

"We have to execute it at the right time, otherwise it will be a waste and Marcus will not fall." Cora states, reviewing scenarios in her head and plotting out the timing of our offensive.

"I will need your help with protecting the pack and blocking them from interfering. What are my options?" I have some ideas, but I want Cora's expert opinion.

"There are a few ideas, but I believe the best one will be...well....let me show you." She says as she walks to the specialty training room and outside to the small clearing. She begins mediating and then counts down from ten to allow her powers to grow to the perfect strength. Her skin glows red and flames shoot out from her hands. I see what she's created...and it's perfect for what we need.

"Well?" she asks.

"It's perfect. Do you think I could replicate that with water?"

"Absolutely! I can show you the steps now before we meet up with everyone. But, please be aware of your body...you don't want to rush it and you don't want to overexert as it could lead to harmful consequences." I heed her warning, but know I have to try to protect my friends and family from this crazed Alpha. I refuse to lie down and let him use me as his new toy!

"Ok, let's get cracking as we have no time to lose." With that, Cora proceeds with this quick lesson. In a matter of minutes, I've got it down. I'm ready! Today, I will make you proud, daddy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 10.5K 9
Everyone thought that the moon goddess had it all. Every wolf looked up to her, and everyone loved her. What happens when that's not true and she has...
14.1K 386 46
Evelyn has everything. She is strong, independent, beautiful and a soon to be alpha. Everyone she comes across either wants to be with her or wants t...
3.2M 92.4K 29
{Completed} Jessie Brown once had a normal life, a normal family, friends and a pack. But a hurricane swept over her life and completely turned every...
496 12 9
After growing up in a small secluded pack, Kathryn is forced to leave everything she's ever known and is faced with reconciling her past. As it becom...