Edge of Chaos | Dad's best fr...

By ESjean

After almost losing her father, twenty year old Mya Harrelson decides to move back home to be closer to her f... More

Author's Note *please read*
Playlist
CHARACTERS
One | MYA
Two | Mya
Three | Deacon
Four | Deacon
Five | MYA
Six | DEACON
Seven | Deacon
Eight | MYA
Nine | Mya
Ten | Deacon
Eleven | MYA
Twelve | Mya
Thirteen | Deacon
Fourteen | Mya *smut*
Fifteen | Deacon
Sixteen| MYA
Seventeen | Deacon
Eighteen | Mya
Nineteen | Deacon
Twenty | MYA
Twenty-One | Mya
Twenty-Two | Deacon
Twenty-Three | Mya
Twenty-Four | Mya
Twenty-Five | Deacon
Twenty-Seven | MYA
Twenty-Eight| DEACON + MYA
Twenty-Nine| Deacon
Thirty| MYA
Thirty-One | Mya
Epilogue | MYA
Edge of Sanity | Characters
Edge of Sanity | Tan | One
Edge of Sanity | Layla | Two
Edge of Sanity | Layla | Three
Edge of Sanity | Tan | Four
Edge of Sanity | Layla | Five
Edge of Sanity | Tan | Six
Edge of Sanity | Layla | Seven
Edge of Sanity | Tan | Eight
Edge of Sanity | Tan | Nine
Edge of Sanity | Layla | Ten
Edge of Sanity | Tan | Eleven
Edge of Sanity | Layla| Twelve
Edge of Sanity | Tan | Thirteen
Edge of Sanity | Layla | Fourteen
Edge of Sanity | Layla | Fifteen
Edge of Sanity | Tan | Sixteen

Twenty-Six | Deacon

5.7K 205 31
By ESjean

She was the last person I was expecting to see. Nichelle stands in the door with a determine look on her face with a small pink book in her hands.

My pulse quickens as I stare at Nichelle, wondering why she was here.

"Nichelle?"

"Hi Deacon. Can I come in?" She asks.

"Of course." I step back and open the door wide enough for her to step in. "I gotta admit I'm a little surprised to see you here." I confess after locking the door behind us.

"Yeah, well, I didn't like the way Hondo treated you earlier. Plus, I think it's time we talk. Don't you?"

I do. After everything went down I hadn't seen much of Nichelle, not with Hondo avoiding me unless we were on a mission. It was obvious Hondo hated my guts but Nichelle never said a word. Did she hate me just as much as her husband?

"Yeah," I agree. "Does Hondo know you're here?"

"He thinks I'm at the community center." She says.

"I won't keep you long then." I reply before leading us to the living room.

The two of us sit on opposite couches facing one another. I don't know what to say. I don't know what I would say if I was her position. They trusted me with their daughter, their only child and I misused their trust. She had every right to hate me.

"Nichelle, I'm so sorry." I apologize, because it's the only thing I can think to say.

"I know you are Deacon. But can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"Knowing how it all ends, would you stay away from Mya?"

I thought about that. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've lost my best friend and work is awkward as fuck, but no, I wouldn't change anything. These last few weeks with Mya have been the happiest weeks in my life in a long time and I wouldn't change getting to know her and getting to love her.

"No." I answer earnestly. "But that doesn't mean I don't feel regret. You and Hondo trusted me to watch your daughter and-"

"If you're done trying to take all the blame," Nichelle interrupts me. "Mya is an adult. An a smart one at that. She's able to make her own decision without influence from anyone." She reassures me. "But you are right about one thing- we trust you with our daughter. Not past tense but now, despite everything I still trust you. I need you to know that not for one second did I think you used my daughter or forced yourself on her. That's not the kind of man you are. I knew it from the moment I met you. You know, as a mother, you start thinking about the kind of life you want your child to have and when Hondo and I found out we were having a girl my first thought was I hope she meets a man who makes her feel as happy and loved as her father does for me and it's obvious that she's found that with you." Nichelle says, taking me by surprise. "All Hondo and I really want is for Mya to be happy and you do that for her."

"I don't know what to say Nichelle." I admit. Her acceptance of us was a little surprising to say the least.

"You don't have to say anything. Just promise you'll read this." She holds out the book towards me for me to take. "I'll see myself out." Nichelle tells me before she gets up and walks towards the front door.

I wait until I hear the door shut before I look down at the book on my lap.

SOMEDAY

That was the title of the scrapbook. Flipping the page open, I look at the pictures glued onto the pages. It's a bunch of photos cut and ripped from magazines like a wedding dress, a wedding cake, a mansion, perfect picture children. The more I flipped through the book it was clear to see that this book belonged to Mya, or at least the child version of her. It was the type of thing a girl Lilah's age or maybe a few older would make as they sat and imagine the kind of life they would want one day. I continue to flip until I'm at the back of the book where I see a piece of paper that looks like it was ripped from a journal with Mya's handwriting on it.

Dear Future husband, this letter is for you. Mom says I'm crazy to be thinking about a husband or marriage at my age, but I can't help it- especially when I see how in love she is with my dad. I think I got pretty lucky with my parents. They've shown me the good kind of love. The one that you fight for every day because they're  more than just husband and wife, they're best friends too. Just like Annie and Deacon. Deacon and Annie are my mom and dad's friends. They look so in love too. I can't blame Annie, Deacon is pretty cute too (mom says not to let my dad hear me say that or he'll freak out lol.) but you don't have to worry, I know you'll be just as handsome as Deacon. Whoever you are, I hope we have a home filled with love and happiness. I may not know anything yet about grown up relationships but I know I at least want that.

Until we meet,

Xoxo Mya Nicole Harrelson ❤️

I shut the book, feeling a tightness in my throat that wasn't there before. A home filled with love and happiness. That's all she wants. I can give her that. I don't know why I thought I couldn't give her the life she wanted. She told me that night we watched horror movie in the living room. Why did I think she wanted some lavish lifestyle of traveling and partying? All she ever wanted was a family of her own and I pushed her away.

What did I do?

I love her. The realization hitting me like a ton of bricks. But it's true, I love her. The house has been so empty without her here and I realize that I miss her, I miss her snuggling up to me when my alarm would ring, waking me up for work, I miss seeing her playing with my daughters, I miss the way she absolutely has to have something sweet after she eat, I miss hearing her music in the house when she cooks or cleans. I miss everything about her. She was perfect for me and now and I might've lost her forever. I thought I was doing the right thing by pushing her away but now it's not, not when it feels like I've been struggling to breathe since I watched her packed her things. Mya Harrelson was my hair and I need her to breathe.

***

I grip the handle of the bar called Capones. It was a pretty popular joint for college kids and after talking to Chris, I found out that Mya was going to be here tonight.

I let out a deep breath and let myself in, the smell of weed and sweat mixed together instantly hits me and the music is so loud I can barely hear myself think.

Jesus. I don't understand how people think this is fun.

I look around, seeing it's pretty packed for a Saturday night. I'm pretty sure half the people in here are underage, but I'm not here as a cop right now, I'm here as a man desperate to get the woman he loves back.

I walk further into the room, my eyes scanning over every girl face until I see Mya. She's standing amongst a group of people and I recognize Taylor next to her. She looks even more beautiful than I remember; her black hair cascades down her back and she wears a skin tight, hot pink Satin dress. The group around her starts chanting her name, egging her to dance and Mya shakes her head, looking shy. I start to make my way over to her but freeze when she leans over slightly, poking her ass out and starts to move it in sync with the beat of the music. The crowd around her cheers and they get louder once a guy comes behind her, pressing himself against her ass.

I see red.

I start marching my way over to them, ignoring the girls who tried get my attention and the rude looks of guys I bumped into. Just when I'm about to reach her, Mya stops dancing, the sexy innocent look on her face is back as she waves off her friends who were clapping for her. Taylor leans in and whispers something in her ear and Mya shakes her head before walking towards the bar.

I make sure to keep my eyes on her as I weave through the sea of college goers until finally her eyes land on me just before I reach her.

"Wh-what are you doing here?" She asks.

"I want you back." I tell her.

"As a babysitter or your fuck buddy?" She rolls her eyes before turning her attention back to the bar, signaling for the bartender to come over.

"You're not old enough to drink." I remind her.

"But I'm old enough for you to go down on?" Mya shoots back.

Technically yes.

"Jesus Mya." I step closer to her. "I'm sorry." She continues to just stare at me with hardness in her eyes. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I got scared and pushed you away. I'm sorry I let the opinions of strangers keep me from telling you how I really feel which is... I'm in love you. I love you and I need you because without you I can't breathe." I tell her.

Mya stares at me wordlessly before I see her steely resolve crumbles and I see her tears fall. Without hesitation I pull her into my arms and hold her against me.

She pulls back and I wipe her tears away with my thumb. "I love you too." The weight that has been sitting on my chest this last six weeks is lifted with those four words and I crash my lips onto her, acquainting myself with her warmth and her taste and I can't believe I ever thought I could live without her. "Took your long enough." She giggles.

"I know. I'm sorry." I could've saved us both the pain and heartache.

"Hey," a female voice is heard before I see Taylor. "We good?" She asks, looking at Mya.

"We're good." Mya tells her, smiling.

Taylor looks at me. "Don't fuck this up." She warns me before she disappears back into the crowd.

"You ready to get out of here?" Mya asks, wrapping her arms around me.

"Not yet," I answer, surprising the both of us. "There's this one dance move I saw you do... how did it go again?" Mya quirks her eyebrows before she smirks, taking my hand and leading me onto the dance floor.

-----------------
{ooh, Deacon about to get twerked on 😜} lol.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

Thank you for reading! ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

167 0 7
Two families. Two hearts. One forbidden love. One Date. Timing is a funny thing. It can make or break any situation-any relationship. The only thing...
34.1K 710 20
Dad's best friend... Coming home from break and is met with an older man that introduce her to a new world and things about herself she never knew. S...
265 80 23
Growing up in a toxic environment, sixteen-year-old Jay Foster has always had psychological problems, coupled with a quick temper. But one night some...
3.9K 249 26
To save her ghost-hunting career, psychic Kayde Foster must confront a vengeful and alluring entity that has taken up residence in her uncle's busine...