Fake-Married to My Billionair...

By anselacorsino

"It doesn't have to be me." He lowers his head to brush his lips over mine. "I want it to be you, Kate." Raul... More

Author's Note - Please read this before you begin the story
Chapter 1.1 : A Wake-Up Call
Chapter 1.2 : A Wake-Up Call (part 2)
Chapter 2.1 : All My Friends Are Married (part 1)
Chapter 2.2 : All My Friends Are Married (part 2)
Chapter 3.1 : Two Proposals (part 1)
Chapter 3.2 : Two Proposals (part 2)
Chapter 4 : Finding A Bride
Chapter 5 : An Invitation
Chapter 6 : Sleepover
Chapter 7 : A Marin Bride
Chapter 8 : Separate Rooms
Chapter 9.1 : Not Mrs. Marin (part 1)
Chapter 9.2 : Not Mrs. Marin (part 2)
Chapter 10 : Honeymoon 🌶🌶🌶
Chapter 11 : A Probationary Period
Chapter 12 : Any Kind of Drama
Chapter 13 : Nightcap
Chapter 14 : A Weekend Apart 🌶
Chapter 16 : Weakness
Chapter 17 : Surprise
Chapter 18 : A Family Affair
Chapter 19 : Trap
Chapter 20 : Unspoken
Chapter 21 : Overtime
Chapter 22 : The Wedding Planners
Chapter 23 : Very Bad Decisions
Chapter 24 : Too Perfect 🌶
Chapter 25 : Nothing to Do With Love
Chapter 26 : Confession
Chapter 27 : No Negotiations
Chapter 28 : Protecting Her
Chapter 29 : Something Unsaid
Chapter 30 : Never Leave Me
Chapter 31 : Indefinitely Yours
Chapter 32 : An Offer
Chapter 33 : Cherchez La Femme
Chapter 34 : A Token of Affection
Chapter 35 : Por que la belleza sobra
Chapter 36 : Uninvited
Chapter 37 : Necessary Measures
Chapter 38 : Fooled
Chapter 39 : A Practical Woman
Chapter 40 : End of the Party
Chapter 41 - Just for Tonight (Part 1)
Chapter 41 : Just For Tonight (Part 2)
Chapter 42 : A Private Matter
Chapter 43 : One of Us
Chapter 44 : Dead End
Chapter 45 : Safe
Chapter 46 : Caged
Chapter 47 : Accusations
Chapter 48 : Preparations
Chapter 49 : The Secrets We Keep
Chapter 50 : Trust
Chapter 51 : Pretenses
Chapter 52 : Confrontation
Chapter 53 : One Last Dance
Chapter 54 : Gamble
Chapter 55 : Reckless
Chapter 56 : Tell Him
Chapter 57 : This Side of Justice
Chapter 58 : Post Mortem
Chapter 59 : One of Their Own
Chapter 60 : Just Visiting
Chapter 61 : Witness

Chapter 15 : It's Not A Date

3K 230 16
By anselacorsino

Raul

The anniversary party of Congresswoman Libby Knox turns out to not be the cozy affair I thought it would be. There had to be about a hundred and fifty guests present. Not a small party but not too big for the sprawling Victorian mansion it was held in.

I'm uncomfortably aware of Olivia walking beside me as I see a few guests raise their phones to snap photos of me. My assistant seems unbothered by the attention, which is a good thing. I don't remember Kate ever appearing in any of my paparazzi photos or a celebrity blogger's stolen footage of me, but who knows if someone someday decides that Olivia is worthy of coverage? I can see she's already turning a few heads, but it's hardly her fault she's attractive.

You're going on a trip out of town with a beautiful woman.

Marcus's warning pops in my head but I dismiss it. If I want his opinion, I'd have dragged him along with me on this trip.

"Raul, how nice to see you," Libby said, holding out her hands to clasp his. The congresswoman is in her mid-fifties, looking elegant in a grey Christian Dior closed-necked dress with billowing sleeves. "I'm glad you could join us."

"My pleasure, Congresswoman. Libby," I say. At her raised eyebrow, I turn to see what she's looking at and see Olivia standing a few steps behind me. "This is my assistant, Olivia Barnes," I explain.

She steps forward to shake Libby's hand. "It's such an honor to meet you, Congresswoman Knox," she says. "I know your daughter, Jessica, from college."

"What a small world!" Libby says, beaming. "Jess is around here somewhere. She'll be glad to see someone her age."

Later, over cocktails, I manage to have a moment with her out on the patio. It didn't take long for us to discuss the main points of the project. Her questions were few but there was no doubt she'd studied the specs for the factory complex we'd sent over to her office.

"We'll hash out the details tomorrow," she assures me. "I must say, this is rather exciting. Not a lot of clothing companies want to build local factories anymore."

"We're confident the new technologies we've developed will make it just as efficient as outsourcing manufacturing to China," I say. This was what I've been focusing on since I became CEO. "We're hoping to make use of the kids graduating out of Duke's engineering program. In fact, we'll take care of their student loans within a year of their employment."

It was in the proposal he'd sent to her office, but nevertheless she looks impressed. "I see you never do things by halves, Raul."

"I'm afraid not." I smile.

"Your marriage, for instance," Libby said. "That must have taken your family by surprise. So romantic."

I smile to keep from wincing. "Honestly, I surprised myself," I say. "I was even more surprised when Kate said yes."

"You've known each other long?"

"Five years. She was my assistant." At her raised eyebrow, I add, "I never date my employees but she and I ..." It surprises me how easily the lie rolls off my tongue. "We tried to fight our feelings but they wouldn't go away."

"Well!" Libby's eyes sparkle with mischief. "I have to say, there's nothing in your reputation that even hinted at this romantic side of you, Raul."

"I think the public sees what it wants to see. As a public figure yourself, I think you can understand."

She cocks her head slightly, as though it hasn't occurred to her how much we have in common. "I do, yes."

***

Saturday

Katelin

I try to ignore the coldness in my stomach as I scroll down the website on my tablet. The photos of Raul and Olivia seem to leap off the screen, as shiny and beautiful as any red carpet images.

It's not a date.

I know it's not; I can see Binna and Malik in the background in some of the wider shots, after all. It was a work thing, just as Raul said. The article confirms they were taken by guests at Congresswoman Knox's wedding anniversary party last night. I would have been there if I'd only agreed to go on that trip with Raul. Would there be as many photos taken of us if I had? Probably not. I wouldn't have filled out that white dress the way Olivia did, not having her height or her cleavage or...

My phone buzzes. It's a text message from Marcus.

Pick you up at seven.

I text back: Yes, see you.

The chair doesn't make a sound on the thick carpet as I push it back to stand up. Stepping in front of the mirror, I see the pale green dress I have on and almost wish I didn't see those photos of Olivia and Raul.

I don't have Olivia's height or conventional attractiveness. While I'm happy with the way I look, I'm never one to turn any heads when I walk into a room.

Was Raul relieved that I didn't go on that trip with him? To have someone the glamorous and beautiful Olivia by his side at that party instead of me?

Were they...

No. I shake my head. Raul would never sleep with an employee. For as long as I knew him, he'd never hit on anyone at work. There were women — beautiful women — at the company who made it clear that they would be more than willing to warm his bed, but he never took any of them up on it.

Still ...

They were staying at the same hotel. If they were careful, no one would have to know. Not Binna or Malik.

Not his wife.

I let out a shaky breath. It's fine, I remind myself. Whether or not anything is going on between Raul and Olivia, lovers were part of the deal. It's going to happen sooner or later. This isn't a real marriage, after all.

My mind made up, I stalk toward the closet with an almost fierce determination.

***

Marcus is waiting for me when I get downstairs.

It's a Saturday night, and there are more people than usual milling about the lobby. But it was easy to pick Marcus out, with his height, blond hair, and impeccably tailored suit.

His face lights up when he sees me approach. "Kate, hi!" he says, getting up from where he has been sitting on a couch. "You look... beautiful."

My cheeks grow warm at his unexpected compliment and the look of surprise on his face. "Thank you," I reply, restraining myself from running a hand down my dress. It's the purple sheath dress Raul gave me, the one I wore the night of our wedding.

For a moment, I am overwhelmed with guilt. I was desperate to wear a dress that wasn't a suit or something I wore to church. Something ... nice. A dress that would make me feel beautiful. And this was the only dress I owned that was all that. Even if it was a dress my husband gave me and which I'm wearing to dinner with another man.

It's not a date.

I remind myself that Marcus is just a friend. It shouldn't matter what I wear, it's just dinner.

Nothing more.

***

"I hope you like Greek food," Marcus says as we sit down at the table in the restaurant. "It's new, and I'd wanted to try it for weeks."

"Why did you wait so long?" I say, taking the menu card from the server. Marcus has enough well-connected friends that he can get a reservation from even the most sought-after restaurants in Boston.

"Uhm, I just haven't had the time, I guess." He clears his throat and peruses the menu. "Would you like to share a salad? They say this place has the best feta in town."

I smile behind my menu. We always split a salad between us when we eat out, as Raul isn't too fond of greens. "Sure."

We order an orzo salad and feta bouyiourdi for appetizers, then a lamb kleftiko for me and an eggplant tagliatelle for him. We couldn't resist also getting some mussels saganaki on the side. The wine I asked him to pick out — a light pinot noir — pairs perfectly with the dishes.

Everything is delicious. As we eat, Marcus keeps me entertained with anecdotes from work that week. I feel a small pang of loss, missing my co-workers more than I thought I would.

"Something wrong?" he says.

"No," I say, smiling sheepishly. "I just... well, it's FOMO, I guess."

"You know you can always drop by anytime."

I shrug. "I know. But then I'll miss it even more when I leave." My mom thinks I'm too much of a work addict, and she's probably right. But I'm grateful Marcus never teases me about it. He's always accepted that side of me. Raul had to force me to go on vacation when he thought I needed one.

"You could always get a job at Ralph Lauren." He grinned. "I bet they'll snap you up."

"Oh, God." I nearly spit out my wine. "I bet Raul would love that."

Marcus raises his glass. "A little healthy competition is good for the soul."

"Is that what this is?"

The sound of a man's voice startles me. Marcus and I turn to see Raul walking up to our table.

___________________________________

Please don't forget to vote for this chapter if you're enjoying the story!

My lovely Patreon supporters have access to all available chapters 1 to 19.  You can sign up to support me and get advance chapters at—

https://patreon.com/ansela

(Type the URL in you browser or click on this chapter's external link.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

364K 9.4K 34
In which a multimillion dollar CEO wants what was once his all to himself again Preview: "I want you and I want you more than ever" "Grayson we can't...
5M 149K 56
*** This story is now FREE!!!*** After a traumatic breakup with her college sweetheart, Aria Davenport meets an older, more sexually experienced busi...
117K 3.5K 37
Synopsis Mia finds out that her boss, Mateo Dela Cruz is sterile and could no longer have an heir to his multi-billion dollar company. He was very de...
4.1K 114 16
"But he's married" "So what..?" You feel like you've already lived your entire life if nothing changes. Maybe being a pessimist didn't help but you w...