Fireball XL5: The Incredible...

By CaptainThunderWho

By the 2060s, space travel had become an easy feat for man to explore the universe he lives in and understand... More

Scene 1 - Fireball XL5 Introduction
Scene 2 - This Is Space City
Scene 3 - Professor Matic
Scene 4 - Planet 62
Scene 5 - The Return Of The Subterrains
Scene 6 - Sabotage In The Air
Scene 7 - Launching Fireball XL5
Scene 8 - Taking The Survivors
Scene 9 - Who Are They?
Scene 10 - Good Work
Scene 11 - Non-negotiation
Scene 12 - We Must Find More E7
Scene 13 - Diplomatic Meetings
Scene 14 - The One Place In The Universe That Will Tell Us
Scene 15 - Ending Treaties
Scene 16 - Herbaccum
Scene 17 - Using Your Weapons
Scene 18 - Reporting Back To Space City
Scene 19 - Planet 99
Scene 20 - Trapped In A World Of Robots
Scene 22 - Handing Over The Power
Scene 23 - A World Of Infinite Mazes
Scene 24 - The Beast
Scene 25 - The Time Wheel
Scene 26 - How's Steve Getting On?
Scene 27 - Breaking The Ice
Scene 28 - Invasion From Outer Space
Scene 29 - Something Wrong
Scene 30 - Forcefield
Scene 31 - Licence Suspended
Scene 32 - Space City Facilities
Scene 33 - Unstoppable
Scene 34 - Matic Energy
Scene 35 - Hostage
Scene 36 - Fireball XL5 Pursuit
Scene 37 - Our Weapons Will Annihilate You
Scene 38 - Battle Of The Skies
Scene 39 - Fireball

Scene 21 - Robert To The Rescue

37 0 0
By CaptainThunderWho

As Robert is being transformed into another robot, Steve Zodiac are being pushed away again. The High Priest sends them in towards the Inner Sanctum again.

High Priest:

THEY HAVE SEEN ENOUGH! TAKE THEM INSIDE!

Steve Zodiac:

There's nothing we can do for him now.

Robot 2:

MAXIMUM POWER! HIS COMPUTER AND COMMAND PROGRAM MUST BE OVERRIDDEN!

High Priest:

IT WILL NOT TAKE LONG ON HIS INFERIOR BRAIN! HE MUST BECOME TOTALLY WHOLE AS WE ARE! MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY!

Robert keeps fighting the struggle and sees his friends being taken into mortal danger. This encourages him to fight even stronger.

Robert the Robot:

AAASSSSIIIIISSSSSSTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

Robot 3:

SOON, HE SHALL BE JOINED WITH THE SERVICE OF THE SCORPITA MAJESTY!

The flames get hotter for Steve and his friends. We see the sweat on their heads. SMASH! Robert breaks some of his glassed containers trapping him. SMASH! SMASH! The robots stop. They all turn to see Robert breaking out. SMASH! SMASH!

Robot 2:

POWER INSUFFICIENT TO CONTAIN NON-ORGANIC!

Robot 3:

IMPOSED THREAT! IMPOSED THREAT! EMERGENCY! EMERGENCY!

High Priest:

DESTROY NON-ORGANIC! DESTROY NON-ORGANIC!

The first robot holds up his gun towards Robert, who has now broken free.

Steve Zodiac:

Oh no you don't!

Steve Zodiac quickly takes out his gun and shoots the robot down. The metal man collapses to the ground.

High Priest:

DESTROY ALL OF THEM! ALL OF THEM!

Robert comes to the closest robot next to him and pushes him down to the ground. SMASH! CRASH! The robot is broken. His circuitry breaks out onto the ground. Robert then pushes the other robot down to stop him. SMASH! CRASH! The fourth robot menaces Robert.

NO! NO!

Steve fires at the fourth robot to defend Robert from him and fires at him. The robot is destroyed. It raises its arms and collapses to the ground. SMASH! CRASH!

THIS CANNOT BE! THIS CANNOT BE!

He rushes to the fire, where the robot kneels down onto its knees, and raises its arms up to prey to the planet's queen. Robert was on his way stomping after him.

SCORPITA! YOUR MAJESTY! YOUR MIGHTY MAJESTY! SAVE US! WE NEED YOU! WE NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE! PLEASE SEEK FORGIVENESS ON YOUR HUMBLE SERVANTS! PLEASE SEEK FORGIVENESS! PLEASE SEEK FORGIVENE...

The fires keep burning more and more. Steve and the others watch Robert come up behind the High Priest. On the last word which isn't fully completed – SMASH! CRASH! SMASH! The camera shows Steve and his friends watching Robert destroy the High Priest. We are then revealed to the smashed High Priest on the ground. He too has his circuits and mechanics on the ground as scrap metal. Robert stands beside it.

Steve Zodiac:

Well done, Robert. You did it.

Professor Matic:

Yeah. And clearly the superior robot. That's what they get to insulting you, Robert.

Dr. Venus:

And we should know by now after all we've encountered in the universe how deceptive appearances can seem.

Robert the Robot:

SSSUUUPPPPEEERRRRRIIIOORRRR RRRROOOBBBBOOOOTTTTT!!!!!

Professor Matic:

Now, now, Robert. We don't want you starting to think and act like these other robots.

Steve Zodiac:

You said you had a theory about what these robots could be, Professor. What was it?

Professor Matic:

Well, it's only a theory, Steve. But I'd sure like to know for sure. Maybe if we consult the computer, we will be able to get the answer. If Robert hasn't damaged them too much.

They head on over to the console. Matt tries to familiarise himself with the controls, pressing buttons and devices in order to see what their function is. Venus is getting a little worried about their area. She thinks that their presence will be detected by the other robots.

Hmph. Hmmmm. Hmmmm. I, err, am afraid I can't see for myself, Steve. The robots appear to have locked themselves out of the hard drive of their own database. These robots sure do fascinate me.

Dr. Venus:

Steve? Steve?

Steve Zodiac:

One moment, Venus. Go on, Professor.

Professor Matic:

Well, err, I always was interested in developing Robert further to create an even more advanced model of him. One that might think or... feel, differently, like these robots.

Steve Zodiac:

Only these robots got to that stage first.

Professor Matic:

Right, Steve. My theory was that these robots had to originate from somewhere else. These robots that are left might be all that remains in the Scorpitan cluster. They now rule the planet in this highly mechanised environment. The rulers of Planet 99 were the Scorpitans, a mighty hot planet from the highly religious Inner Sanctum from inside there.

Robert the Robot:

CCCOOORRREEECCCTTTT, PPRRROOOFFFESSSSOOORRRR MMMMAAATTTTIIIICCCCC!!!!!!!!!

Professor Matic:

Robert! You're not supposed to interrupt. Are you sure you're alright?

Robert the Robot:

PPPPOOSSSIIITTTIIIVVVVVEELLLYYYY FFFUUUNNNCCCCTTTTIIIOOONNNNIIIINNNGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

Steve Zodiac:

Oh no. The computer machine must have affected his mind so now he has started to act and feel like the other robots.

Professor Matic:

But how, Steve? How could anything like this happen to his positronic brain?

Robert the Robot:

TTTTHHHEEE IIINNNFFFOOORRRMMMAAATTTIIIIOOOONNNN HHHHAASSS BEEEENNNNN DDDOOOWWWNNNLLLOOOAAADDDEEDD IINNNTTTOOO MMMMYYY DDDDAAATTAAAA!!!!!! YYYYOOOUURRRR TTTTHHHEEEEOOORRRIIIEEESS OOFFF THHHEEE PPLLLAANNNEEETTTT AAARREEE CCCOORRREEECTTTT!!!!!

Dr. Venus:

Steve, Steve, I think there is something else we should worry about.

Robert the Robot:

TTTTHHHIIISSSS PPPLLLLAAANNNNEEEETTTT PPPPRRIIIIDDDEEEE IIITTTTSEEELLLFFF IIINNNN TTTHHEEE ANNCIEEENNNTTTTT LLLLAAAWWWSSS AANNNDDDDD CCCCUUUSSSTTTTOMMMSSSS OOOFFFF TTTTHHHEEEEE GGGGOOODDDDEEEESSSS SSSSCOOORRRPIIITTTTAAAAA!!!!!!! SSSSCCCCIIIEEEEENNNCCCCEEEE AAAANNNNDDDD TTTEEECHHHHOOLLLOOGGGYYY CCCCATTTTAAAPPPULLLTTTTEEDDD PPPPLLLAANNNEETTTT PPPRRROOOGGGGRRREEESSSIIIIOOONNNN FFFFORRRRWWWWAAAARRRDDDDD!

Professor Matic:

Until the species died out. Many centuries ago. Yeah, I get it now. And these robots and this magnificent city are the remnants of it.

Steve Zodiac:

As is the Inner Sanctum. Where they keep the flame alive and burning strong. Of course. Then this is where the Scorpita formula for the Novax Castrol E7 must be.

Robert the Robot:

CCCCOOORRREEECCCCCTTTTTT!!!!!!

Dr. Venus:

Steve, listen to me, Steve!

Steve Zodiac:

What is it, Venus? Do you have to keep intruding on the conversation?

Dr. Venus:

I hate to tell you Steve, but I think there are more of those robots on their way. I can see them on their way in their travel capsules.

We can see four more armed robots in an elevator travelling to the control room.

Steve Zodiac:

They must know what's happened up here and the reinforcements have come to take care of us. And that's the only way out. We need to get that formula and get out of here, fast.

Professor Matic:

But Steve, what's happened to Robert?

Steve Zodiac:

Professor, you and Robert stay out here and prepare to stop those reinforcements.

Professor Matic:

Listen Steve, I don't know what's happened to Robert's brain. But the brain of any animal or mechanised object is a delicate thing to handle. How do we know Robert will ever be the same again?

Dr. Venus:

They're coming, Steve!

Steve Zodiac:

Robert will be used to help us, Professor. Venus, come with me!

Steve takes Venus' hand and they both run into the Inner Sanctum. They enter where they see the burning fire in the centre of the dirty, brick-layered walls. At the back of the wall, we see the circular part of the treasure built into the wall. Wires and cables that have been connected from it lead outward along the walls, up, down and along the flooring, missing the fire burning in the centre.

There it is, Venus. The first part of the formula.

Dr. Venus:

And look what it's connected up to.

Steve Zodiac:

Yeah. I think it powers this entire planet. It supplies the energy to Planet 99. Let's get it and return to Fireball.

They rush over to it. The robots arrive in the chute, and the sliding doors open. The Professor and Robert point their weapons at the arriving robots.

Professor Matic:

Now Robert, fire now!

Robert then slashes the Professor's gun away as the other robots arrive and come out.

Robert? What are you doing? Robert?

Steve heads around to find the spherical object. He simply takes it, pulling it out from all the other circuits and wires leading from it.

Steve Zodiac:

There, that should do it.

The flames begin to die down slowly, but do not totally disappear. The fire begins to burn down over time.

The power is starting to run away. You can see the fire is burning less and less. That means we gotta get back to Fireball. And hurry.

Steve and Venus quickly leave. Robert, who has joined with the other robots, all turn on the Professor.

Professor Matic:

Robert! What's got into you? Answer me!

Robert the Robot:

HHHHUUMMMAAAANNNOOOIIIIDDDDDD OOOORRRRGGGAAAANNNNIIICCCCCC HHHHAAASSS SSSSAAAABBBBOOOTTTTTAAAGGGEEEEDDDD OOOOPPPPPEEEEERRRRRAAATTTTIIOOONNSSS OOONNNN SSSSCCCOOORRRRPPPIITTTTUUUSSSSS 555555555!!!!

Robot 5:

HE AND THE OTHER ORGANICS MUST BE DESTROYED! DESTROYED!

Professor Matic:

Robert! I made you! I gave you life! You wouldn't exist if it wasn't for me.

Robert the Robot:

OOOOUURRR CCCCOMMMAAAAANNNDDDD IINNNSSSTRRRUUCCCTTTSSS TTTHHHAAATTTT TTTHHHEEE SSSPPIIRRRIITTT OFFF THHHHEEE SSSCCOOORRRPIITTTUUUSSSS QQQUEEENNN MMMUUSSSTTT RRRREEEMMMAAAIIINNN IIINNTTTACCCTTTT!!!!

Robot 5:

AND YOU COUNTERACT THAT COMMAND!

Robert the Robot:

DDDDDEEESSSSTTTRRROOOYYYY HHHIIMMM!!!!

Steve Zodiac with the spherical part quickly sees what's happening. The robots aim their weapons at the Professor, but Steve fires first. All the robots are gunned down, and all fall to the ground, including Robert.

Professor Matic:

Phew. Thanks, Steve.

Steve Zodiac:

Thank me later, Matt. Right now, we need to get back to Fireball before the power runs out. Then we will be trapped here.

Professor Matic:

Will Robert be ok to carry to the ship?

Steve Zodiac:

Sure he will.

We see the flame quickly dying down, running out of power as some of the lights begin to dim. We see this across the entire world, the bright light begins to darken. The camera cuts to see robots starting to lose their energy. They get slower in their movements.

Robot 6:

PPPPPOOOOWWWWWWEEEERRRR EEESSSCCCAAAPPPIINNNGGGGGG!!!!! DDDDEEECCCRRREEEAASSSSIINNGGGGGGG EEEEEENNNEEEEERRRGGGYYY UUUNNNIIITTTSSSSS!!!!

We see Steve and his friends in the elevator with Robert on the ground.

Steve Zodiac:

Just as well we're getting out of here whilst there's still power to this thing.

The doors shut, and we see the lift moving along to the right of the screen. The flames keep slowing down, and the lights dim again. The lift gets slower and slower.

Dr. Venus:

We've got to make it. We've just got to make it, Steve.

Professor Matic:

I just hope there will be enough power for us to get back.

Robert moves his robotic arm slightly.

Steve Zodiac:

Yeah.

The lift keeps moving at a slower pace. The flames keep dying down. Some of the robots' eyes flash off, and they begin tipping their backs over as their power drains. In the lift, Robert suddenly moves. He was being generated by his own power source. Robert begins to get up.

Dr. Venus:

Look, Robert is beginning to move.

Robert the Robot:

AAANNDDD ORRRGGGANNNIICCC CCCCRREEEWWWWW!!!!!!

Robert then lunges at the Professor and Dr. Venus, pushing them against the wall with incredible strength. Steve jumps in and tries to break Robert off. Venus screams.

Professor Matic:

AARRGGHH! Help, Steve! Help!

Steve tries to pull Robert off.

Robert the Robot:

FFFFFIIIIIIRRRRREEEEEBBBBBBALLLLLLL XXXXXLLL555555!!!!!! DDDDEEESSSTTTRRROOYYY FFFFFIIIIRRRRRRREEEEBBBBBAAAALLLLL XXXXXLLLL5555!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve gets his gun and shoots Robert in the head, but his gun is knocked away by Robert who swings his arms at Steve.

Steve Zodiac:

Ah!

Robert then attacks Steve.

Robert the Robot:

FFFFFIIIIIIRRRRREEEBBBBBALLLLLLL XXXXXLLL555555!!!!!! DDDDEEESSSTTTRRROOYYY FFFFFIIIIRRRRRRREEBBBBBAAAALLLLL XXXLLLL5555!!!!!!!!!!!!

The lift keeps slowing down. The lights dim even further again. The robots speak their last vowel before they drop to the ground as their power runs dry. The fire is almost burnt up. In the lift, Robert tries to crush Steve, and break his bones. The Professor tries to lunge for his robot to break him away but is powerless against the out-of-control Robert.

Robert the Robot:

DDDEESSTTTRROOYYY FFFIIRRREEEBBALLL XXXLLL5555!!!! DDDEESSTTTRROOYYY FFFIIRRREEEBBALLL XXXLLL5555!!!!

Steve Zodiac:

Venus! My gun! Quickly!

Dr. Venus gets Steve's gun and fires at Robert. The robot is not totally put out of action. She does it again, and Steve is able to free himself from Robert. Venus comes closer to fire into Robert. Steve wrestles with the powerful robot as it still shouts...

Robert the Robot:

DDDEESSTTTRROOYYY FFFIIRRREEEBBALLL XXXLLL5555!!!! DDDEESSTTTRROOYYY FFFIIRRREEEBBALLL XXXLLL5555!!!!

Steve takes his gun back as the fight continues. And shoots directly into Robert's torso, into his circuitry. He does it again, and again. With one more final blast, Robert is finally stopped. He then topples to the ground. CLASH! The lights dim further, now greatly darkening the planet. The flames then finally die out. The lift arrives where Steve and his friends need to reach Fireball.

Steve Zodiac:

We made it.

Planet 99 was beginning to totally darken over now. The lights and power had now gone out. The lights on the outside of Fireball XL5 have flashed up. We see that Steve and Dr. Venus are back at the controls of Fireball.

Take her up, Venus.

As the lights finally dim out across the planet, the spaceship blasts its motors. KABOOM! It rises up, and spins around to escape the mechanised city of the Scorpita robots. Fireball blasts into the sky. The stars of space appear as the ship escapes. Steve takes out the part of the spherical disc he collected from the planet.

Well, we got what we came for. Now we can start to piece things together. Although I'm sure the Professor is feeling quite unhappy about what's happened to Robert. I can't blame him.

Dr. Venus:

He will have a lot of work to do on him to repair him.

Steve Zodiac:

Yeah. He can at least make Robert even stronger and better than before if he's salvageable.

Dr. Venus:

Then we will have to find the next part of the energy source ourselves.

Professor Matic is in the secondary control room. We hear his voice on the radio.

Professor Matic:

I can thankfully say that I can still help out on the assignment, Steve. The next section to where we go on the scroll says we need to make our way to Mazak. On the other side of the sector.

Steve Zodiac:

We're glad you'll be able to still help us, Professor. After what Robert's experienced, will he ever be the same again?

We cut between the two control rooms. The Professor is looking over Robert's remains and lifting up his arms to inspect him.

Professor Matic:

I just don't know, Steve. He appeared to be alright when he left the machine. When he turned on us, you were able to shoot right into his main life support circulatory and his positronic brain. As long as his memory is not damaged, my good old Robert will be exactly the same again. There's one snag though.

Steve Zodiac:

And what's that, Professor?

Professor Matic:

Most of what I need to do on him can only be done in my workshop back on Earth. But I can make a start on him as we make our way to Mazak. I'll just have to see how I get on.

Dr. Venus is now absent from the main control room.

Steve Zodiac:

In the meantime, I will report back to Space City about what we've accomplished as we make our way to Mazak. Venus is going to bring you the spherical disc we got. Will you have time to take a look at the formula now you have the Scorpitus finding?

Professor Matic:

Maybe if I'm not working on Robert I will begin taking a look at it. Can Venus maybe take a look at it while I'm busy with Robert? She what she thinks of it.

Steve Zodiac:

I'm sure she could. We need someone to keep flying the ship now Robert is out of action. Well, we're on our way to Mazak.

Zodiac says the last line to himself. We then see Fireball XL5 flying to the right of the screen as stock footage provides. This then fades into blackness for more adverts to begin...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74 14 7
Century 22 Productions has produced new exciting stories based on the worlds of Doctor Who, the Gerry Anderson series (Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet)...
241 15 10
It has never been fully understood how Zonnie, the pet Lazoon, came to be among the crew of the Fireball XL5. At her dinner party in her newly constr...
450 10 41
It was 1970. Danger from the unknown, menace from outer space. Unidentified Flying Objects have been established and are now a threat to the safety o...
896 67 26
From an idea by the elusive "Hiram K Hackenbacker", a revolutionary new orbital motorway has been constructed around the United Kingdom that will hel...