evolve// 5SOS

By 5sosxruel

With Gabi and Luke being practically inseparable, they really were 'like father like daughter'. They'd always... More

evolve
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
53
54
55
56
57
SEQUEL
gabi-verse

52

999 37 19
By 5sosxruel

Luke

"You were not lying about this view,"

"Obviously,"

"This is sick mate," Calum said, "Is this a good picnic spot?"

"I think so,"

We laid down a few picnic blankets under a tree and pulled out the food we had brought in back packs. Sierra sat with Crystal while I sat with the boys- I knew they hadn't had chance to catch up much lately.

"Cal, you seriously make the best food,"

"It's a sandwich, Mike,"

"And it is beautiful,"

"It's a sandwich,"

"I do hope the kids are eating something edible," I said.

"Don't even," Ash grumbled, "The amount of crap they put in,"

"Why didn't you stop them!"

"Because they're adults now, I was only there for the bank account. Plus, it is certainly not my place to tell any of them what they can and can't eat,"

"They'll be okay, Luke, honestly,"

"I know, I know, I am just being a dad,"

"We can tell,"

"Aren't you meeting Maddox's dad this week? Well, parents?"

"Yep, I am pretty nervous. I don't wanna spoil it for Gabi, she's really happy right now,"

"You're not going to ruin it, Sierra is there to help," Calum said, "I am sure they are eager to meet the person who has been looking after their daughter,"

"Yeah, hopefully. She's just really happy, for like the first time in so long. I honestly hadn't realised how sad she had been before, even before the surgery,"

"I do think she is starting to be okay again... but, I still think she does need therapy. Her mood swings are way too up and down," Ash said, "But I agree, it has been nice to see her with a smile on her face. She was glowing with her friends yesterday,"

"Yeah, I totally agree. She is gonna meet with one next week,"

"Good. She's been through so much bless,"

I shrugged and sipped on my water, wondering what she was doing right now. I really hoped she was looking after herself.

"Crystal and I are thinking of going away in a few weeks,"

"Anywhere nice?"

"No where special but out of town, it'll be nice. I think I am finding a better work- life balance,"

"That's always a good thing!"

My phone began to ring, so I excused myself and picked up, Gabi on the other end.

"Hello?"

"Dad, I don't feel too good,"

"What's up?"

"We are at the beach, everyone has just gone to get some more water, but I feel really crap. And hot. I am in the shade and I have only been in the shade but, I don't feel well,"

"How long are you guys staying?"

"I don't know but I haven't felt well for like an hour," she said, her voice wobbling, "But I don't wanna ruin it,"

"I am sure your friends will be understanding if you ask to leave soon, but if not then I will come with Cal and pick you up. Did you take your medicine?"

"Yeah, and I have drank loads,"

"You're probably over tired and over heated, that's all. I'll come and see you later though, yeah?"

"Yeah,"

"Alright darling, text me how it goes. I'm on a hike right now but we are going to come back down after lunch anyway,"

"Okay. I love you,"

"I love you too,"

When I sat back down, Sierra shuffled over and put her rubbish back in our bag, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Who was that?"

"Gabi, she isn't feeling too good so she's gonna ask her friends to leave the beach. If they aren't, Cal and I can go and get her,"

"What's wrong?"

"I think she's just tired, and over heated. I am gonna visit later,"

"Good. What are they up to?"

"The beach,"

"They're so lucky to have you guys, I know I would've loved a trip like this with all my friends," she smiled, "I mean, I guess I have this now, right?"

"Cheers to more trips, I say," Ash said, lifting his water bottle, "Especially for you three. I hope Gabi finds peace in your family,"

We stayed for about an hour, then hiked back down because Gabi told me they were on the way back home.

Getting out in nature had really helped me, I felt, and Sierra and I had laughed the whole way up. I didn't know someone so perfect could exist, even thought we had had our arguments.

And I was glad the boys liked her too. If they didn't, I knew to trust them, for none of them particularly loved Kiera.

When we got home, I made sure the kids were eating, before helping Ash cook for us all. Everyone else got in the hot tub, tired after the hike.

"When do you start work again?"

"When Gabi starts school. We said we would do half days but I think she might enjoy the afternoon to herself if she drives to school,"

"That'll be good,"

"I think so too. I miss the labs so badly,"

"Nerd,"

"Says you!"

He laughed and got the plates out, starting to serve up.

"I am proud of it,"

"You should be, you're probably the smartest person I know. Don't tell the others,"

"They already know,"

We gave everyone a warning as we mixed up a a salad, then we all grabbed our plates and sat at the table inside, for a chilly breeze had picked up.

Ash lit candles round the table for us, then put the radio on as we ate together- admittedly I was a little rushed because I wanted to get to Gabi without disrupting their evening much.

"You can go," Sierra whispered, seeing my empty plate, "It's okay,"

"Are you sure?"

"Go mate," Cal said, "Call me if you need anything taking over,"

I nodded and excused myself, taking my plate to the dishwasher before putting on my shoes and a sweatshirt.

It took a couple of minutes to get to the kid's place, then I knocked on the door and waited outside, smiling at April who opened it.

"Hi,"

"Hello,"

She opened the door fully and let me in, scurrying off to the kitchen.

"Do you want a drink?"

"I'm alright, thank you,"

"Gabi is sleeping," Julian said, looking up from his phone- all of them were in the living room, so clearly felt the chill as well.

"Which room is hers?"

"Straight down the hall,"

"Great. Thank you,"

I took myself down there and entered her room, seeing her passed out next to her water bottle which was slowly leaking.

Gently, I picked it up, which woke her, and her body jumped.

"Hey sweetheart, it's only dad,"

Which she knew by my voice, for before I finished my sentence she had grabbed hold of me.

"Do you want me to lay and cuddle you?"

"Yeah,"

"Let go then,"

I slipped my shoes off and she shuffled over to Maddox's side, nuzzling into my arms once I was laid down.

Softly, I kissed her head and made sure her hair was out of the way. Her head felt normal, and she didn't look sick, so it was probably over tiredness.

"I wanna sleep with you tonight,"

"Not Maddox?"

"Okay. Fine,"

"In what way are you feeling crappy?"

"Just, bleh,"

"Yeah, we are definitely gonna have a lot of bleh days ahead of us. Sorry I woke you up,"

"It's okay, I have slept for like an hour,"

"Shall we go and sit with everyone in the living room for a bit?"

"In 10 minutes,"

"Okay. That's a plan,"

Within about thirty seconds, she was asleep again.

I guessed it was self centred of me to say, but I had always loved how fast she fell asleep on me. She did as a baby and she still did now. Something about her feeling that comfortable around me was probably the greatest achievement of my life- afterall, her safety had always been an extra big thing for me.

Maddox appeared at the door, then stopped, holding her lips shut with her hand.

"She will wake up soon, don't worry,"

"I feel like this is my fault,"

"How?"

"Maybe I did something wrong, at the beach,"

"I am sure you did everything, and more. Gabi doesn't like telling people she feels ill incase she ruins the moment... plus she has never not loved a good nap,"

"Yeah,"

"You don't need to worry,"

"Sorry,"

"Come here you 'nana," I said, holding my arm out for her, "You do so much for Gabi already, I don't expect you to manage her health,"

"I'm sorry,"

I held her tightly and let her hide in my shoulder for as long as she needed, then she recomposed herself and dried her eyes.

"Why don't you see if anyone wants to play a game? I will wake her up and make sure she is all sorted, then you can all do that,"

"Okay. Thank you, Luke,"

"No problem,"

"She has missed you,"

"I missed her too,"

"And Sierra. She misses Sierra. Uh... yeah. Also my house has 7 bedrooms so you can stay with us,"

"Did you say,"-

"Yes,"

"Wow. I think we will stick to the hotel. If she misses Sierra then hey, a bit more space might actually do some good,"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23K 209 49
I DO NOT OWN THESE!!! ALL FROM TUMBLR UNLESS I SAY SO!!!!!! THANK YOU TO THE AMAZING BEATIFUL PEOPLE THAT WROTE THIS!!!
132K 6.5K 27
Calum was an only child and liked it that way. His dad walked out on him when he turned 14 leaving him and his mom all alone and completely heartbrok...
35.9K 1.5K 54
SEQUEL TO EVOLVE Things were getting better. Well, things were seeming to get better. Relationships were thriving, med school decisions were pendin...
31.9K 1.1K 29
PREQUEL TO SERENDIPITY A new home meant a new identity was possible. New friends, new clothes, hell even a new name. You had to expect the unexpecte...