Speak Up - Female Deaf Harry...

By ApolloLaurea

Hari (Harry) Lily Potter the girl who lived is abused by her only living relatives. To them, she is just a de... More

Intro
Number 4 Privet Drive, The Girl Who lived, Chapter 1
Letters
Diagon Alley
Hogwarts at Last
Sorting
first week and flying
Halloween
Question
Lily
First Quidditch Match
Random art
Notice
Christmas
Erised
Quirell
Norbert
The Forbidden Forest
Fluffy
Chess
Quirell
Hospital wing
Dobby, The Whispers in the Walls, Chapter 1
Freak
Letters
Week
Gilderoy Lockheart
Barrier
Mandrakes, Photos and Pixies
Mudblood
The Chamber of Secrets
Polyjuice
The Rouge Bludger
Animagus
Dueling
Christmas
Myrtle and the Diary
Dumbledore's Suspension
Hermione's help
The Basilisk
Fraud
Diary and Dobby
Dumbledore's summons
More Random Art
Sirius Black, The Man and the Moon, Chapter 1
Occlumency
Summer
Diagon Alley
Dementor
Luna Lovegood
Trelawny
Hippogriffs
Boggart
Grindylows
Cedric Diggory
Patronus
Second Hogsmeade weekend
Cho Chang
Scabbers
Silver doe
Backwards... again
Year three end
How I see the characters
Grimauld Place, The Twisted Tournament, Chapter 1
Malfoy Manor
Quidditch World Cup
Wronski Faint
Mosmordra
After the cup
Slave Labour!
Mad Eye Moody
Blast Ended Screwts
Suggestions?
The Amazing Bouncing Ferret
THANK YOU!
Unforgivable curses
Imperio
Schools
The Goblet
Choosing Champions
Thank you!
Instructions
Potter Stinks
wand weighing
Teenage Tragedy
Meeting Hagrid
Dragons
The First Task
First task party
Skrewts again
Challenge
Challenge part 2
McGonagall gives no option
Clock courtyard
The Owlrey
Ron's blunder
Christmas Morning
Preparations
Random question
100th chapter!
The Yule Ball part 1
Yule Ball 2
Yule Ball 3
Boxing Day
Nimhe Answers Questions
Prefect's bathroom
Research
birds
Brewing
Second task
Under water
Ron Weasley
Winky
Kreacher
Karkaroff
Maze
Dreadful Dreams
Five Pranksters
The Third Task
The Graveyard
Floating
Mad-Eye Moody
Explanations
Shacklebolt and Tonks
End of Year Four
Home Life, the Irksome Inquisitor, Chapter 1
Life at Grimauld Place
Order meetings
Morning after Moon
Prefects
Nightmares
Back to Hogwarts
Theme songs (not an actual chapter)
first day back
Weasley Products
detention
High Inquisitor
The Forbidden Forest
Hogsmeade
Hogsmeade 2.0
Bassalisks-children notice
Basilisk's children (attempt 2)
Update
pranked part 1
Pranked part 2
Meeting number I have no idea
Befuddlement draughts
Next Day
Clocktower Courtyard
Werewolf
Update
Caught
The Ministry of Magic
The Orb of Prophecy
The fountain
Severus
Book 6, chapter 1, Saint Mungos
Grief and Graves
Awakening
Awakening part 2
The Daily Prophet Articles
Wow, an actual update? Shocker!

Umbridge in Charge

986 39 19
By ApolloLaurea

I'm so so sorry guys! I lost motivation and ideas for a while, but I'm back in the game and I'll try to be more consistent. :)

 So uh, back to the story I guess....

As much as Hari hated Dumbledore, life had been a lot easier with him in the castle.

Ever since the twins had been overheard talking about a werewolf, and Umbridge had gotten word of it, Dumbledore had been discredited and fired. Hari, as you can imagine, hadn't been very impressed when she'd learned this information while in the hospital wing and it was fair to say that the image of a rather large fire would be on everyone's mind for a while.

Umbridge had immediately declared herself headmistress and then proceeded to write decree after decree after decree so that anything other than her tight orderly schedule and doll-like students immediately got detention. Hari had even once got detention for her tie being tied in a Four In Hand knot instead of a Half-Windsor knot.

Try what Umbridge may, however, the entire castle was against her, with students nearly upping their rule-breaking, not to mention the growing defence club that was literally right under her nose, or floors to be more precise.

The group was doing well, they'd been working on basic defensive spells a lot and had now moved on to more advanced things. They had done the basics of the Patronus charm the last two sessions and were planning to try to cast more than whispy smoke, or nothing in some cases, this time.

It had been more than a month since Dumbledore had left and Hari was asleep on her feet. There was still a month left till exams but Hermione was pushing her to study more than ever. Her only real breaks were chilling with Ron playing chess in the common room, or with Draco when she could get away. Between Umbridges still consistent detentions, weekly teaching a now-massive group of students, studying for her O.W.L.s, and everything else going on, she felt like a zombie as she walked towards the girl's bathroom.

She gave Myrtle, who was keeping watch for them, a wave then opened the sink and slid down the pipe.

Landing on the cold stone floor, she made her way through the entrance of the tunnels, glancing around as she went. This place had been cleaned up a lot, it was starting to feel less like a murder dungeon and more like a training centre with its posters and charts and books scattering the transfigured tables and couches of the common areas.

The group that was gathered near the training dummies turned as she entered. Marissa bounced over and hugged Hari as she walked towards the centre of the room. The rest of the group followed behind the little Gryffindor.

"Alright," Hermione got their attention, "How's everyone feeling about casting their first real Patronus charm today?"

There were some cheers, and a few concerned comments but mostly happy faces.

Hermione pulled out her wand, "I'm sure you remember the basic movement and incantation," she said, twirling her wand in a circle and stating clearly "Expecto Patronum."

Nothing happened other than silvery vapour and the rest of the class following along with a chorus of "Expecto Patronum" not that Hari had really expected anything to.

Hermione smiled, "Now then, Hari's brought a special guest today."

All eyes turned towards Hari as she took the small mirror out of her pocket and projected the image it contained into a much larger circle. #) Who remembers Re- Professor Lupin? (# she asked. 

The man in question smiled at the sea of excited faces from where his upper body floated in a 2D circle. "I see Hari finally managed to break some of the wards that Umbridge put up to stop magical communication." He laughed.

The students crowded closer together around the projection to talk to him. "One at a time, one at a time," Remus said quickly.

Hands shot up and her godfather pointed at Seamus first, "Yes, mister Finnigan?"

"Is your boyfriend there too?" Seamus asked excitedly, he'd liked Sirius a lot ever since he'd first met them in their fourth year.

"My -er- partner.... Sirius is at work right now." Remus looked a bit awkward, "He wanted to see you all, but a bunch of cases came into his department and he had to stay late."

"Are you going to be coming back to teach at Hogwarts?" Hannah Abbot asked when her hand was picked next.

Remus shook his head, calling upon another student.

"Are you really a werewolf?"

Remus nodded again.

One of the Ravenclaws piped up, "How do you feel about the legislation surrounding-" she stopped as Hermione waved them to stop.

"I'm sure Professor Lupin can conduct an interview at a later time." Hermione smiled, "but right now he's going to help you all learn the Patronus Charm."

"Right," Remus said once they had dispersed a bit, "the Patronus Charm. Hari, could you demonstrate?"

Hari nodded, raising her arm and focusing on the memory she always did, that first Christmas she had had with Draco. #I await a guardian!# she hissed. 

The doe seemed to waver in shape as it took solid form, but then bounded gracefully through the group of students as they applauded.

"Remember," Lupin said, "Each Patronus takes the form of a different animal that has a special affinity with the caster. As we just saw, in Hari's case, her Patronus is a doe, but it will be different for every one of you."  he paused, "alright, happiest memory you can think of and concentrate you can do it."

The group dispersed and began to practice in their own corners as Remus floated his way around providing tips. Hari wandered around as well, thinking about the conversation she'd had after the last session with Draco.

"How was the meeting?" the blond had asked as they sat bent over potions homework in the little room in the dungeons.

#) It went pretty well, people seemed like they were making advances this time. (#

"What are you working on?"

#) The Patronus charm. (#

"Unfair, I wish I could come."

#)We could always try smuggling you in, (# Hari suggested, #)invisibility cloak, or polyjuice or...(#

"You already suggested that and I said it was too risky. Ugh..." he groaned, flopping back into the sofa cushions. Hari carefully placed her quill into her inkpot then flopped back next to him, putting her head on his shoulder.

"I just wish I could learn all the stuff you're teaching," he said after a while, leaning his head against hers, "but I barely get to even spend any time with you."

She wasn't sure what to say, simply nodding into his shoulder.

A pause then, "I wish we didn't have to hide each other."

#) I do as well, but at least it's not forever, we just have to wait. (#

"I don't want to wait, I just- I hate this stupid war and these stupid people, and my stupid family and-"

She laid a hand on his arm, "I know, but hidden is better than not at all."

He didn't say anything, just laying his head back on hers.

"The patronus charm-" he said a bit later,

#) Yeah? (# she looked up at him,

"I've never managed it, but maybe..... If you help me?"

#) I can try.... (# 

"Can you cast it?"

#) Right now? (#

Seeing his nod, she pulled her wand out of her holster. Concentrating on that first Christmas she hissed #I await a guardian!#

The silver doe lept gracefully from the tip of her wand,  dancing around the room before disappearing as Hari released it as there was no threat.

Looking back now she realized that her patronus' form had flickered then too, but why, she still didn't know.

She turned back from the doe to see Draco watching her, his eyes meeting hers. He tilted his head to the side slightly, "You have to use one of your happiest memories right? What were you thinking about?"

She glanced down, muttering #) Christmas... (#

"Sorry, but I didn't catch that." he paused, "I mean it was a very personal question though, I get it if you don't want to tell me."

#) no, no, it's just, well, Christmas in our second year. (#

"That's what you think of? really?" he laughed in surprise

She felt her face go slightly red, #) I mean, it needs to be a fully happy memory, truly happy, not tainted by anything negative, and well... (# she paused, #) most of my other happy memories are a bit more bittersweet... too many things have happened since... (#

His smile turned sad and he nodded his head in understanding, "maybe... well maybe that's why I have so much trouble...."

She interrupted the melancholy feeling as she stood, dragging him to his feet, which of course wouldn't have worked if he hadn't chosen to go with it. #) Come on Draco, give it a go. I believe in you! (#

Giving her a glance of, okay fine but it won't work, he pulled his wand from his holster as well. Raising it, "Expecto Patronum," nothing happened. He looked disappointed.

#)You're not even doing the right movement silly, (# Hari smiled as she stepped closer, reaching out to adjust his hand, #) It's a circling movement, like this! (# She guided his hand through the movement.

"Oh, erm," he looked away from her and back at his wand, "Expecto Patronum!"

A thin wisp of silver floated upwards.

#) Look! (# Hari pointed, #) You did something. (#

"Yeah but not enough," he frowned, "How is that supposed to help fight off dementors."

#) You can't expect to get it right the first time. (#

"Yeah I know," he sighed, "I just thought... maybe with you I could...." he trailed off, "Nevermind, I just need to practice, right."

A tug on her sleeve pulled her back to the present, Hermione was trying to get her attention. The room around them was full of wisps of white smoke from the practising students but Hari had yet to see a corporeal form.

#) Yeah? (# Hari asked quickly.

Hermione gestured with her head in the direction of Neville, who was standing in the corner looking a little forlorn.

Hari nodded and started off across the room.

#) Hiya Neville, doing alright? (#

Neville nodded, "I think so, I'm just not very good."

Hari doubted that was the reason, #) Hey, don't say that. You've got this Neville. cCan I see what you have so far? (#

Neville nodded, holding his wand out, he swirled it gracefully stating "Expecto Patronum!" Nothing happened.

#) Well your form is perfect by the book so that's really good. (# she smiled at Neville, whose face lit up at learning the information. #) Maybe it's the memory you used, may I ask what it was? (#

"When I learned I had magic," he said excitedly.

Hari gave him a weird look, #) correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you learn that when your uncle dropped you out of a third-story window and you bounced instead of ya know, dying? (#

"Yeah," Neville nodded happily.

#) Neville... (# Hari said slowly, unsure what to say, #) Are you sure.... Well, are you sure that that's a happy memory? (#

"My gran and he were ecstatic." 

#) But, but were you? (#

"I was thrilled once I learned yeah," Neville said, confused.

#) But wasn't it scary? (#

Neville nodded, "but I got over it."

#) Okayyyy. (# Hari said, pretty sure that Neville didn't want to unpack all that right now, #) how about you try to find a memory where the only emotion you feel is very happy. (#

Neville thought for a moment, "how about that time I got the mimbulus mimbletonia from Great Uncle Algie on my birthday and we all celebrated and ate cake!"

Hari nodded, he loved that plant, #) that sounds great Neville, try that. (#

Neville stretched out his wand, looking very serious, did a perfect little twirl and said "Expecto Patronum!" A whole tone of white smoke poured from his wand.

He jumped in surprise, "I DID IT!"

#) You did it! (# Hari cheered.

Some of the people near then gave him a thumbs up. Luna did a happy little dance.

Hari turned back to face the room and Neville went back to practising on his own. It wasn't too long before the first corporeal Patronus was produced. 

A silver swan swam gracefully above the students from Cho Chang as she stared in surprise at it. Everyone watched as it did a few laps of the ceiling and then disappeared.

Hari quickly made her way over, #) Awesome job Cho, that was really good! (#

Cho nodded, staring up at the cleaning where her swan had been, "Yes! She is so cool and pretty! Wow!"

Ron achieved his full Patronus next, much to Hermione's annoyance who didn't get it until moments after him, their respective terrier and otter running along below the ceiling next to each other.

Hannah Abbot's kitten joined them soon after.

All in all, Hari thought when she started back up the ladder in the pipe, it had been a very successful lesson.

The group dispersed into the school and Hari was one of the last to leave the bathroom. She thought back to the lesson of the day, with the several other older students achieving their patronesses and her plan for next time.

She walked down the corridor towards Gryffindor tower, keeping an eye out for Filch, Umbridge, or the inquisitorial squad despite the fact that it was the middle of the afternoon.

A sharp pain suddenly broke across her forehead, like a needle was being rammed into the bone there. Clutching her skull, she ducked her way into a nearby alcove.

The pain disappeared as fast as it had appeared and she was left wondering if she had imagined it but no...

 Something fell off.

Her head felt strange.

There was a force brushing against the inside of her mind, just above her scar, as if it was trying to subtly get in but couldn't penetrate her shield. She pushed her consciousness outside the shield to see what it was.

"Hello, little Potter,"  Voldemort's cruel face smiled.

She panicked, starting to pull away but "ah ah ah," he chided, "you won't want to miss this."

His smile was cold, "you see, I know you won't fall for tricks and manipulation so I'll state this plain and clear. I have your godfather," an image washed over her, Sirius, lying on the dusty floor of a dark room lined with shelves, he was writhing in pain. The image disappeared as fast as it had appeared. 

Hari could feel her heart pounding in her head, #Stop, don't hurt him!#

"Yes yes, you see, I need you to get something for me, consider it a little favour for not killing him and I'll give him back." His smile widened.

#Why can't you get it yourself?# she asked warily, her logic kicking in as she stood frozen in an empty corridor.

"That would be because it's in the ministry of magic and I can't get in, you, however, can."

#but-#

"Crutio!" Sirius appeared again, screaming in agony as he writhed through the dust.

"Stop! Stop! I'll do it."

"Lovely." he tapped his chin, "Now, you're going to go on your own. Don't tell anyone, no teachers, no adults, or he dies. Do I make myself clear?"

Hari nodded, swallowing the lump in her throat. 

"I appreciate your help, involuntary as it may be. All the information you need will be right outside your head."

"You promise? You promise you'll let him go if I do this."

"Of course, have I ever l lied?" he disappeared before she could answer that yes, he definitely had. 

Hari forced herself to slow her breathing, trying to calm down. Sirius! She had to help him! She couldn't - No. She couldn't freak out right now, nobody could help her, so she had to do this alone.

She took a deep breath, then walked out from behind the pillar.

 A hand clamped down tightly on her shoulder. She spun on the spot to face the person, heart in her throat.

"Ooh," Filch grinned nastily, "We've caught a little bugger."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.6K 527 61
Haley Snape finally gets to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry although against her so called "fathers" wishes. But the two will do an...
355K 8.8K 118
Aria Snape is formidable in the worst of senses, demanding respect from all who meet her and making those who hate her suffer. With a grumpy profess...
354K 10.9K 48
It's been 6 years since the war. Harry and Ginny broke up soon after, and he's living a peaceful quiet life finally not having to fight the bad guys...
25K 346 25
Gianna Snape, Severus's Daughter; Beautiful, Amazing, Intelligent, Loving, Everything A Boy Could Wish For, But She Doesn't Like To Be Owned. She's...