His Substitute Wife {Book 1}...

Oleh MyraKapoor

Jennifer Jonas is a happy to go girl. Savvy Jonas is her sister and together they make the best team. They sh... Lebih Banyak

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Important Information
BOOK 2 PUBLISHED!!!!!!!!

Chapter 30

971 30 3
Oleh MyraKapoor

.

.

.

The next few days after that incident were weird. I didn't wake up next to Ryan in the mornings as he'd started sleeping in the guest room. The situation between us became very awkward. It was like none of us had anything to talk about. Even Gracie grew suspicious of the silence between us and asked me about it. I couldn't tell her the reality but just said that things between us have been off lately.

Ryan used to leave early in the morning and come back late at night. In shorts, he used to leave before I wake up and come back after I sleep. Sometimes, the situation became so awkward that I didn't even see him at home for days. I wanted to talk to him, to break the silence but couldn't muster up the courage after what happened between us.

Finally, after 2 weeks of silence, I tried to break the ice. I was up late at night to see when he comes back home so that I could talk to him. I heard a car pull up at the front door. I went to the window and saw Ryan stepping out of the car to make his way inside. On seeing him, I hurried down to open the door. Gracie was about to open it when I gestured her not to. I opened the door just when he was about to knock on it.

"Hi!!", my voice barely came out due to the breathlessness.

He looked up at me with shock written all over his face, "Hey".

"Come in!", I gestured as I stepped aside to let him in.

He gave me a tight lipped smile as he stepped inside. I took the briefcase from him and helped him out of his blazer. I'm sure he was surprised by my actions as he squinted his eyes at me.

"Work's been keeping you busy all the week, eh?", I asked trying to sound as casual as possible.

"Ummm kind of..", he sounded unsure of the answer.

"Hungry? Why don't you freshen up and I'll prepare the table for you?", I tried to strike a conversation.

"Umm.. Actually, I've had dinner. There was a meeting today so had it there", he looked down and tried to walk away.

"But.. But I was waiting for you", I mumbled.

"You shouldn't have", with that said, he left.

I stood there alone. I waited for him all this while so that we could talk over dinner. I was a bit disheartened but it was fine. After all, he didn't know I was waiting for him, neither did I bother to inform him earlier that I was practically fasting for him.

Suddenly, I lost appetite.

"Gracie, please wrap up the dinner. I'm going to sleep", I called out to Gracie as she was heating the dinner.

"But, you didn't have anything. What about Sir?", she asked as she came out of the kitchen.

"He already did and I don't feel that hungry. But you don't miss your dinner. Good night, Gracie", I smiled at her and went to my room.

.

.

.

Next day, I had a test in the college so I decided to leave early. I got ready and went downstairs to make something for myself as Gracie hadn't arrived yet. I climbed down the stairs to find the most amusing sight of the day.

Ryan. Stupid. William. Was. Preparing. The. Table.

I stopped mid-way, watching him set the things. For a change, I admired him working like that. He kept two plates on the table. I kept my things on the couch and walked up to him.

"Good morning", I said.

He turned around to look at me.

"Good morning", he said and went back to work.

"Why are you setting the table? Here, let me help you!", I said taking the things from him.

"It's fine. I can do it", he said, moving his hand away.

Ouch! That hurt.

"Two plates? For whom?", I tried to tease him.

"I guess its just the two of us as you have to leave early, too", he said as a matter-of-fact.

"How do you know I have to leave early?", I gapped at him.

"I heard you shower....", he said, masking an emotion, didn't know which one.

"Ohhh", was all I said.

"You..umm you didn't eat last night?", he asked while his eyes were still fixed on the plates as he sat down.

I was taken aback by that statement. How does he know?

"I wasn't hungry", I said as I fumbled with my phone.

"Hmm.." was all he said as he took a bite of his omelet.

"Ahh..How do.. do you know I didn't eat?", I asked as I took the seat next to him.

"I heard you and Gracie", he said, focusing on his breakfast. "You shouldn't miss it for someone else..", the last part was just a whisper but I heard it since the whole house was practically silent.

"You.. You've been avoiding me, lately?", I asked as I came to the point. There was no need to beat around the bush anymore. We have to have this conversation.

He looked up at me abruptly as if not expecting me to say that.

"You leave early and come back home late. Is it work or you're just avoiding me?", I asked looking directly at him.

He passed me the breakfast. "I-I..I've been a bit busy on a new project", he said, taking another mouthful of his food. He was trying to avoid my gaze. Also, his answers were a bit absurd.

Was he just trying to dodge my questions or was he up to something else?

"Ryan..... Please talk to-"

"I'm getting late", he cut me off as he rose to his feet.

"But-"

"See you later", he said as he took his blazer, not bothering to wear it and left.

I slouched back into my chair at a failed attempt to talk to him. He's definitely avoiding me. I have to think of something to bring our relationship back on track because as much as I hate to accept it, I want him to be around, more.

Why am I getting the same feeling?

Why am I feeling left out and alone?

Has something changed between us?

Has something changed within me?

.

.

BULLSHIT!!!!

.

.

I spoke to Arnie about us. I even asked her for a few suggestions to get us back on track. No doubt the lady was more than happy to be the cupid of our life. I rolled my eyes at her enthusiasm.

However, she did tell me a few things that could help us get back on track. So I followed her advice and got to work. I left the college right after the test to execute the plan. I took a cab and gave him the address.

Half an hour later, I was standing right in front of the William Corporation. I looked at the building and to say that it was huge would be an understatement. It was the first time I was visiting my husband in his office and never knew it was this extravagant.

Wait??

Did I just say husband?!!!!

Holy Mollyyyy

Anyways, I stepped inside, looking around the place. However, I was stopped right at the entrance.

"Yes? Do you have an appointment?", the security asked me.

"Umm no.. as I'm not here for any meeting", I said.

"Sorry ma'am, no outsider is allowed without a proper appointment", he said and asked me to step aside to let others in.

"But I have some other work", I showed him the food packages.

"Are you here for food delivery?, he asked looking confused.

"Ohh.. no no! I've brought lunch for my husband!", I said as stressing on the last word.

"Oh, well in that case, you'll have to call him. If he's an employee over here, he needs to make a visiting card for you", he said.

"But he doesn't work here! He's the.."

"Ma'am you need to step aside as you're blocking the way. You cannot create chaos here", he said cutting me off. "If your spouse doesn't work here then you're definitely not allowed", he said and went away.

My god! I never knew they have such strictness in their office. Now what should I do? I wonder how Savvy walked past the security. If she was able to meet Ryan the other day, does that mean Ryan introduced her to his employees? Has she been coming here for a while now???

I was just thinking about it when a car pulled up in front of the gate. It was none other than Jake, my father-in-law.

I thanked my stars as soon as I saw him. Finally, the much needed person. I ran up to him and was stopped, yet again by one of his bodyguards.

"Hey, stop! You can't just dash into him", he said pushing me away as he grabbed my hand.

"I know him!!!! I'm his daughter-in-law!!!", I screamed in frustration.

I think Jake heard me and looked at me struggling with his bodyguard.

"Oh Jennifer! Is that you?", Jake said, waving towards me.

His bodyguard looked at him and then at me. I raised my brow at him, gesturing see! I told ya? He let me go immediately and apologized for his behavior.

"Hi, Mr William!", I said with the brightest smile on my face. "Thank God you met me here otherwise they wouldn't let me in", I said, taking a sigh of relief.

"Oh! Don't worry, I'll tell the security about you. Next time they won't stop you", he said smiling at me. "She's my daughter-in-law! Nobody stops her from the next time!", he told his bodyguards and security.

The security guard who had stopped me earlier, was now regretting his actions, as I stuck my tongue out at him.

"So Jennifer, what brings you here?", he asked as we made our way to his office.

"First, you're only allowed to call me Jenny!, I commanded, making him laugh at my antiques. "Second, I brought lunch for Ryan!", I said as I showed him the food packets.

"Ohhh, that's so sweet of you!", he said patting my head. "Also, you're supposed to call me 'dad', he countered.

I smiled as I nodded at the sweetest retort ever heard.

"Where is his office, dad?", I asked him.

He laughed when I asked him. What's so funny?

"You're really one of your kind!", he chuckled. "Eighteenth floor!", he said. "Now, I must get going for I have a meeting! Enjoy your meal!", he said and walked away.

I thanked him and made my way to the elevator.

So, 18th floor, here I come!!!

****

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

65.7K 1.5K 33
After years of ups and down, Ryan William is left all alone even though he's surround by a lot of people. Choosing his love over the girl everyone th...
68.3K 5.5K 44
Infertility! A simple word but can create havoc in a woman's life. Specifically, if that said woman's husband is having an affair with his long-time...
211K 7.9K 55
Valerie Jones, a 25-year-old copywriter, aspires to be a senior content editor in the advertising world and wishes to work in her dream company - Zed...
479 10 18
16 year old Ryan Leigh Jordan is at that point in her life where she doesn't know her purpose in life. With an absent mother, her hatred towards her...