Duty of a Left-Hand

By HolmesMoriartyHolmes

Peter wakes in a hole in the ground of a house. Next to him is a man of approximately his age, eyes burning A... More

Chapter I: Worm Moon Ritual and Fountain of Youth.
Chapter II: Pack Building and Promise fulfilled
Chapter III: The Left-Hand Oath and Duties of an Alpha
Chapter IV: Kanima and Claiming of Debt
Chapter V: Building one's identity and the Sea Slug incident.
Chapter VI: The Nemeton and Scott's Problem
Chapter VIII: The Announcement and Kali's disrespect.
Chapter IX: The Parley and the Protection Oath
Chapter X: The Coyote in the Woods and Acknowledging a Hard Truth.
Chapter XI: The Anchors and Payments
Chapter XII: 'True Alpha' and Ghosts from the Past
Chapter XIII: Hot Chocolate and Druids
Chapter XIV: Threefold Deaths and Roman Numerals
Chapter XV: A Piece of Japan and the Right-Hand Oath
Chapter XVI: The Story of a Sacrifice and An Ancient Rivalry
Chapter XVII: Silver and Pack's vote
Chapter XVIII: Dreadful Cause and Sleeping Arrangements
Chapter XIX: Teenage's loves and Allison
Chapter XX: Worries of the loving and Memories of youth
Chapter XXI: Nobody's Type and The Hale's Deal
Chapter XXII: One-Sided Feud and Truth Uncovered
Chapter XXIII: Packmates' Stories and Hunter Wolf
Chapter XXIV: Full-Shift Wolves and Wake-Up Calls
Chapter XXV: The Unwanted Distraction and The Final Wall
Chapter XXVI: Open Book and Fae Ancestor
Chapter XXVII: Naming Your trauma and Succumbing to Protectiveness
Chapter XXVIII: Seer's Oracle and Morning's Cuddles
Chapter XXIX: The Two Intruders and The New Pack Members
Chapter XXX: The Kidnapped Children and Truth About Mirages
Chapter XXXI: Contengency Plan and Awakening of the Thunder
Chapter XXXII: New Existence and Awaited Discussion
Chapter XXXIII: Acceptation of the Reality and Kira's issue
Chapter XXXIV: The Morning Wonder and A Fae's Price
Chapter XXXV: The Greenhouse Truths and The First Oracle
Chapter XXXVI: Strengthening of Bonds and The Story of a Left-Hand

Chapter VII: Melissa and the Chase

2.9K 143 17
By HolmesMoriartyHolmes

Peter finds the Sheriff with his nephew next to the dining table: "Sheriff, do you know Scott's mother?" the Sheriff nods as if to say what about it. "Would it be Ok with you, to be there for the talk about the supernatural? Scott wishes to have her mother in the known and protected. I also have something to apologize for." Derek raises an eyebrow at that, and the Sheriff accepts.

The Left-Hand then hands over a box to the Sheriff. "These are wolfsbane bullet. It can hurt a werewolf by poisoning them. It's for your own protection as law enforcement and member of the pack. I trust you not to use it on us." The sheriff appreciates the show of trust and accept the box. After that everyone start eating and enjoy the presence of pack.

When everyone is gone. Derek takes Peter to his office. "What was it with giving the talk and apologizing to McCall?"

Peter is fuming while pacing the room. "Did you know that the reason he doesn't like me is because of some misplace transfer. I get it, the 'alpha version' was still me. But I didn't do any of it. And it's really getting on my nerves, to receive his negative emotion every time I am near him."

Derek sighs. "Yeah, he isn't really opened to us..."

"He has male authority issues. So, having two older men tell him what to do is complicated according to Stiles. I am hoping bringing his mother will sweeten the pot and stop him from acting like a fool. We need him until Stiles accept the Right-hand position at least."

"You're really set on this..."

Peter hums. "Are you not agreeing to the choice? Who are you proposing instead?"

"I don't know. It's just, are you sure? I don't even know if Stiles wants the bite."

"Well, we will know soon enough. I loaned him a book on Right-hands. Anyway, we cannot propose the position, one needs to propose themselves from their own volition. The pledge will tie him to you as Alpha. He won't be able to change pack after it." Derek sends anxiousness and insecurity through their bond and Peter understand. "Is that what's really bothering you, Nephew? That Stiles will think that you are lacking as alpha and not propose himself to be your Right-hand?" Derek looks at his uncle with vulnerability and Peter seizes in conceal anger at whoever told him he wasn't good enough. "Oh pup, come here." Peter takes his nephew in his arm. "You're doing the best you can, you are still learning it's okay to think you need improvement. But that's also what makes you worth it, pup. An alpha that does not doubt, and thinks that he cannot make mistake, is the worst kind. You are doing your best, and you will improve every day with every mistake you make. And I'll be there every step of the way. Ok?"

Derek tries to wipe his tears to conceal them, without really succeeding "Yeah okay. Thank you, Uncle."

Peter smiles encouragingly "It's been a long day. Let's get you to bed. Hum?" Derek nods.

...

Melissa McCall is a gorgeous woman. There is no other word to describe her. Peter understands a little better why he asks her on a date, even if it was supposedly a manipulative move. Scott is glaring at Peter, as if he were going to do something to his mom, and Peter cannot suppress his exasperated eye roll.

"Ms. McCall, thank you for coming today." Says his Alpha.

"Thank you for inviting me. But I have to admit I am a little confused as to why I was." They move to sit at the table.

"There is a conversation that we need to have. The Sheriff already knows, that's why he is here." Melissa nods and has her mom expression that read 'out with-it young men'.

"What you need to know first is that the supernatural is real." And that's where Melissa expression turns to 'are you smoking weed' one, just until Derek flashes his eyes and the werewolves hear the heart of Scott's Mom hammering in her chest.

"Are you ok, Mom?" Scott asks tentatively

Melissa looks at Scott and the Sheriff that doesn't seem surprised. She quickly regains control and nods. "Yes. I'm okay, you can continue." The lie is heard by all werewolves, but Derek continues his explication.

"We are born werewolves, My uncle and I. I don't know if you remember the Hales, but our family was killed by one werewolves' hunter."

"I remember the Hale; I was the nurse at the hospital when they brought Peter in." Peter looks surprised.

Derek nods at the information "Anyway, a little while back we came back, I came back to Beacon Hill. When I did, I found my sister and alpha, killed by a werewolf. I didn't know at the time that it was Peter. The thing you need to know about werewolves, that I didn't until a week ago, is that a Left-hand which is the equivalent of a policeman in our community, has the obligation to kill an unworthy alpha to give the alpha spark to a more worthy candidate..." Peter settles his hand on Derek neck when self-depreciation filter through the bond. "And it can have consequences, such as loss of control of the spark if the previous alpha didn't do their duty correctly. When Peter took back the spark, he bit someone who was at the scene of the crime. Only an Alpha bite can turn a human into a supernatural creature, by awakening the dormant magic inside them. The person that Peter bit was Scott."

Ms. McCall who was lost during the explication, starts to understand with instant clarity why she was brought here. She looks at her son. She doesn't know what to say, she is scared. Her baby was found at a crime scene by a werewolf, and bit for it. He became a supernatural creature, and she didn't have any clue. Scott looks ashamed, and Melissa can't bear to look at his son with such misery in his eyes, she takes his hand in her hand and squeeze it as if to say 'It's gonna be okay, Mom's here, I didn't know I'm sorry, I'm here now.' "Ok, so what does that mean now? My son is a werewolf that's it?"

"Yes, he is. But there are other things too." Melissa nods. "Peter was killed. I sliced his throat." Melissa gasp. "I became the Alpha. I started forming a pack with people that wanted to become supernatural. At the last full month, my Uncle was brought back from the dead, as he was before the fire. Without any memory of the fire, his injuries, or his recovery."

Peter interjects. "That would be me."

Melissa looks at Derek then Peter then Noah who nods at the impossible. "I don't, I don't understand. You mean to tell me that your uncle Peter who was in his thirty or above, is that young men, here?"

"That's what he is saying yes. I apologized to your son for biting him, but it seems I did other thing that Stiles pointed out. And I need to apologize to you too. I apparently asked you on a date during my alpha crusade. My intentions weren't clear, but Scott asked that I apologize for hurting you. So, I apologize if I did anything that could have been hurtful towards you."

"What? Why?..." Melissa looks at her son then begins to understand. "Your nephew said you are Peter from before the fire, so it wasn't you that did that?"

"Correct."

Melissa cocks her head in incomprehension. "Why would you apologize for something you didn't do?" Scott flinches at that.

'Because I need your son to be more cooperative and less annoying.'

"Even if I don't remember it was still me. I take responsibilities for my action."

Melissa looks perplexed but acknowledge the statement then says. "Thank you for your apologies. But a failed date is nothing to apologize for." Peter smiles kindly at her. "Do I need to know more?"

Derek responds. "Yes. A werewolf in order to stay sane needs a pack. A pack is connected by pack bonds which allows each member to feel emotion of other pack member. Your son joined our pack as well as Stiles and the Sheriff."

Melissa looks at Noah "You became a werewolf?"

The sheriff frowns. "No, I'm still human. I don't plan to change that anytime soon. I joined because I wanted to keep Stiles safe. It's really confusing to feel everyone's emotion and to know which belongs to who instinctively. But I never feel alone. And I always know that Stiles is okay. It's kind of nice."

Peter continues. "You don't need to be supernatural to be in a pack. It gives protection to supernatural member and humans in the known. Because most of the time when your eyes are open to the magic, you attract it. It's better to know what you get yourself into, and how to protect yourself. We can teach you and offer protection." Scott looks at his mom with hope and a pleading look. That Melissa acknowledges before demanding to be part of the pack. And Peter is positively gleeful.

'Now Scott should accept their alpha a little better.'

When the Sheriff, Melissa and Derek are in a deep conversation. Peter approach Scott. "Scott, are we okay now? Did we put everything behind us?"

Scott looks at Peter a little bewildered then smiles for the first time to Peter. "Yeah. I'm sorry, it was wrong of me to put the burden of what you did, when you didn't remember. I was just so mad. Thank you for helping me tell my Mom."

'Finally!'

Peter smiles sweetly. "You're welcome. I'm glad we can start afresh now." Scott gives another of his 'Puppy whom we gave bacon' smile then go towards his mom. Peter's smiles drops.

'That kid is exhausting... But one less thing to do, and one more pack member. That was worth it.'

After the discussion, the other pack member arrives to their first lessons. Different level of enthusiasm can be read on everyone face. They sit in the living room. Each choosing a seat.

Peter begins with a grin. "Before we begin. Is there questions that you would like to know the answer to?"

Stiles with fire in his eyes "What's the Chase? What is a hellhound? Why do you have to keep it from your territory? I found information but it's not clear. How an omega can bring the chase to a territory. Why is it called the Chase..." Noah interjects with a hand on Stiles shoulder "Stiles..." And just like that his son stop firing question. And Peter is grateful since his heart almost skipped a beat at the thirst for knowledge.

Peter clears his throat. "The Chase is a purge of all supernatural, and people in the known on one territory." Everyone in the room is paling. "We kill omega that are too far gone and chase the one we can't accept in our pack. Because if we don't, the supernatural could be brought to the light. And the hellhounds are protector of the supernatural. If the supernatural, is known in a town by humans in general, the hellhounds exterminate the city and everyone in it. Nobody survives, it's worse than war. It's hellhound magic that doesn't allow the supernatural to be seen in video, pictures, or registered officially. Hellhounds are like everyone else; they can be in our territory. It's actually an honor to have a hellhound in it. But the problem comes when there is a horde, if you see a horde of hellhounds, run as far away as you can. Find another pack and never come back. The town will be forgotten from memory as well as the territory. Nothing can stop it, because the supernatural needs to be protected. And hellhounds are the one doing it. Left-hand are police, hellhounds are soldier. There was a case where the Chase could have been avoided just by killing one omega. Unfortunately, the pack in the territory didn't do it. Everything escalates pretty quickly and in the end the pack was the first to be destroyed before the whole city was erased from memory. We only know of it because of one hellhound that made the tour of every pack to warn them of the consequences should they fail to protect their territory." Everyone is looking distraught. "Don't worry, it's my job to never allow that to happen. If I fail, I'll make sure to do everything in my power to get you out of this territory before the horde comes." Acknowledgement and respect come through the bonds.

"On more joyous subject. Every hellhound has a Banshee as anchor." Everyone looks at Lydia. "There are fewer hellhounds than banshee, so it's possible you are not one of them. But if a stranger with eyes color fire says to you 'Kindred Soul' don't be surprise. They are the only species to have people as anchor in the shifter category. Some romantics enthusiasts call it Soulmates."

"I'm not sure, I want that." Lydia says troubled.

"Why? Hellhounds are one of the most powerful creatures in the world, and it's a true honor to know one. Their duty isn't pretty, I'll give you that. But the person behind the hound, isn't in control when a Chase is launched. They don't really have a choice in the matter. If it consoles you the Chase only happened 10 times in 4 000 years, what I described earlier are only the extreme case. Most of the time they just erase memories." Everyone sighs in relief at that. "Plus, Soulmates doesn't necessary means romantic ones." Lydia nods at the statement.

Stiles states after a moment passes. "I have another question!"

Peter smiles sweetly "Of course you have. What's the question?"

"Why can't we feel your emotions through the bond? We can feel everyone else." The other nods.

Peter smiles like a predator. "That's because Left-Hand don't have emotions, of course." The pack frowns in incomprehension. A heavy silence settles.

Derek rolls his eyes at his uncle dramatics. "Peter."

Peter looks at his Alpha and says carefully and full of pride. "I shall represent and carry the burdens of my alpha. By caring it, nobody else has to. You can never feel the emotions of the Left-hands because it is not necessary. Left-hand don't have emotions to share, because we chose our vocation. And our pride lies in it." Nobody knows what to think at that statement, some sends sadness, other pained admiration, Melissa and Noah sends understanding and approval, Derek is distraught but send heavy admiration, pride and affection through the Pack bond. And Stiles... Stiles is staring.

After a pause Peter says sadistically "If there is no other question, let's have our first lesson, shall we?" Peter uncovers his board where a sentence is written 'Creatures with which, you cannot engage in discussion, or you'll get eaten Part I.' Every pack member is gawking, and Derek is snickering at their expression.

During the middle of a discussion about Chupacabra, Derek Stands abruptly. Everyone becomes silent. Derek looks at his uncle and says, "They're here."

Peter straightens his posture, lose his grin, nods at his nephew and speaks. "You remember our lesson on Announcement?" Everyone nods. Melissa looks lost. "Sheriff, can you explain to dear Melissa really quickly. We need to prepare." The sheriff nods and begins to comply.

Peter looks at his Alpha. "Don't show any weakness. If there is a problem, I'll deal with it." Derek nods. The pups begin to reek like anxiety... it's not good.

'That's why we need a Right-Hand, there is too much imbalance... Plan B.'

"I will put a spell on all of you to suppress your emotions. You will still smell like pack, but they won't hear nor smell how anxious you are. It's going to be okay. The Announcement is just very formal so don't do any breach of protocol. Are we clear?" Everyone nods. "Verbal acknowledgement, please. Are. We. Clear?" Enunciates the Left-Hand. "Yes!" is heard in a chorus. Peter smiles encouragingly at his Nephew. "Good, let's do this."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.9K 1.7K 40
What do you do when the creature you fear most says you are his mate? But he doesn't want you. Yet doesn't want you to go either. Hannah is a witch w...
32.3K 1.8K 20
"It's funny. It is. It's abso-fucking-lutely hilarious because this is the seventh time in a calendar year that Stiles has been on the run from a blo...
475 37 13
Alex Parker, a typical teen, drifts off in front of the TV only to wake up in alternate reality. Suddenly thrust into a world of twists and turns, sh...