It Comes Naturally

By nerdyflirtykari

Moving to a new town means nothing to some people but for Erica Hollis moving to a new country meant a lot. H... More

Prologue
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
Special Feature
14. - A Promise of Forever
A Promise of Forever
A Promise Of Forever
A Promise of Forever
15. - A Promise Of Forever
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
Bonus Chapter
30.
31.
33.
Epilogue
Extra #1 - The Young Master

32.

2.1K 171 17
By nerdyflirtykari

Normal.

Finally, that word can describe a school day when asked. It wasn't one hundred percent normal, but it was getting there. Most seniors who were tired of the hierarchy, bullying, and immaturity counted down the time to get their diplomas. The others were still running behind their school heroes and being why adults think their generation is doomed.
While the drama hours trickled down to minutes, the headliners made their own way back to the pedestal their peers placed them on. Those who were wronged by them simply moved on.
Derek, the town's golden boy, was back on his throne as the next town football hero, while Shaun was heavily ostracized. Word of him now being on his own yet under the care of the Winshalls also surged through the town. His mother publicly disowned him, which added to the rumor mill. 
Derek's family wanted to silence him while he was 'vulnerable' to safeguard their family's future. A lawyer and the family representative made an unwelcomed visit to the Winshall's home, which was the first bad move on their path because Bryan was present. Expecting only to have Katie and Shaun at home, they faltered in their plan when the man of the house answered the door. Being charismatic as always, Bryan took the role of guardian seriously and listened to their bargain. He gave the look of interest and was ready to accept, only to have the answer be given by Shaun. 
"Why should I accept money from cowards and superficial people? The most your money can do is to be put in a safe place until your 'special child' fucks up again. No, thank you. Please show yourselves out. Your presence is annoying my older brother and sister."

Being told off by a teenager wasn't on their plan that day. However, Shaun's answer brought more hostility from the Derek masses, but he didn't have a care in the world. 

Why? 

Because the situation his twin sister found herself in made him worry more. Her betrayal still pained him, but she was the last family member he acknowledged to a point. The relationship with his mother reached the point of both of them passing each other as strangers. Word, well, rumor has it; she disowned Natalie also. The woman blamed her misfortunes on her ungrateful kids and their low-life father. She sold the family home and changed her appearance to show her new image. 
Shaun went to Elijah for advice on handling his sister, only to be sent to Bryan, who promised to speak with him after school. So after his online classes on the day he knew Bryan would be working from home, he made his way to the man's office, respectfully waiting for him to answer his intrusive knocking.

"Come in, Shaun."

Easily he stepped into the lush modern designed office that screamed power when you place one foot in. He always thought Bryan was the coolest out of all the brothers, and him being a CEO didn't suit him at all. The man was danger, in every sense. Shaun stood near a chair, awaiting his big brother's orders. An amused snort escaped the man before he gave him the go-ahead to sit. 

"You have a good grasp of manners and authority. Who taught you business etiquette?"

"Alec's uncle from Italy," he answered.

"Ah! Chevon! He's a stickler for formality. How are your lessons? Are you missing the classroom atmosphere?"

Shaun relaxed in his seat and shook his head with the answer, no. "My mind and body adjusted to the silence and relaxed routine. But, unfortunately, my tolerance for socializing seems to drop also," he added.

"That's expected, but try venturing out at least once a week or something. Let's go to the matter at hand. You want to know if it's a good idea to visit your sister. Your flesh and blood relative who threw you to the wolves."

"Geez, Bryan. Hearing my matter in your words makes me sound like a schmuck. Is it that weird to know that I want to visit her?" Shaun queried; he also took note of Bryan's expression. It slowly eased from jovial and brotherly to cold and distant.

"How long have we've known each other?"

Confusion by the question marred the teenager's face. "Nearing ten years soon."

"Living with your mother who lived for gossip, I'm sure she whispered a thing or two when I joined the friend group of Spencer's elite."

"Ahhhhh! You can say that."

Bryan scoffed, but the amusement wasn't shown on his face. Instead, Shaun was curious as to why he wanted to go so far back into his memories to approach the matter at hand. But, being patient, he gave into Bryan's tactic and relaxed into his seat also.

"Whatever we say in this house, this office, or what information we decide to let you, our siblings, know is to stay confidential."

He became alert by Bryan's demand and gave a firm nod of acceptance.

"I have two roles to play in this world of survival. I'm the son of a wealthy, influential man and also the son of a feared, also dangerous man. I have connections on both sides of the law and toe the line of morality dozens of times. Rumors began years ago when a notorious gang leader began to rub shoulders with the town's elite publicly......."

"Ace?!" Shaun gasped in genuine shock.

"Correct. We were highly amused when the tongues began to wag, and their old school detective work bore some fruits. They figured out which boy out of the three was Ace's next heir. They nearly got themselves in the ICU when they found out who my biological father was. Small towns are so amusing."

"Wait. So that means you're THE Joker. The equally feared teen back then and now cold-blooded man now?! Hold up!" Shaun was genuinely shocked.  Yes, the man in front of him always had that invisible 'danger' sign on him, but he didn't expect the reason for that was so in-depth.

"The family knows, after all, there are nosey people who will stir up trouble for my circle."

"Why are you telling me this, though? Years I've been oblivious to it all, but now you're telling me this? Why?" Shaun asked, genuinely confused.

"Because you're now within my family circle. You are under my care and closer to the others. Not to mention your sister is now part of my completed duty from the higher-ups."

"Higher-ups?"

"On the 'left side' of this oh so wonderful society, there are always people higher than us notorious gangs. Ah, I see the realization in your eyes. Yes, besides gangs and mobs, there is the mafia. Not subjected to one in number but in many. I serve the head of them all, the French Mafia. It was a job that I was given that your sister and Bree became collateral damage."

"WHAT!" Shaun's mind was whirling with information overload, now to hear his sister was caught up in something bigger than what he expected was too much.

"Yup. It seems like they were blinded by the pampering and the false maturity. The man we were sent to handle was Rush. A newcomer who wanted to go up the ranks rather quickly. His appearance in Spencer got us curious. Bree's older brother became involved with him, which placed him under our radar. They were pushing a new drug that my boss flagged. Upon the execution of my job, your sister and Bree were present at the house. We did find the drug, including others, and abducted women forced to do the packing. Those said women, in their interrogation, exposed the girls' role in that house. Your sister wasn't just a girlfriend but also an accomplice in drug and local human trafficking. She was the 'comfort' to the kidnapped women."

Silence.

Shocked silence is what it was.

He thought it was some drunk driving shit, but what his brother explained was beyond his wildest imagination. 

"This is why you decided to tell me about yourself, huh? If I wanted to help get her out on bail, it wouldn't be successful." Shaun released a humorless laugh and ran his hand through his messy hair. Reality was a bitch sometimes.

"No mercy is shown to those who get themselves involved in high cases like this. They are both seen as adults and will get tried as adults. I won't stop you from visiting her, but I want you to know the magnitude of everything. Her life is now fucked up because of material things."

Bryan stayed silent and watched on as so many emotions played across the teen's face. This was truly reality. He no longer has a place in his household. His mother forsaken him, his sister betrayed him, and his father decided to cut ties with the family since he was jailed. Shaun no longer had blood relatives to depend on. He probably thinks if that sibling bond is still strong with his twin. He now has the support of elites, but they all know he won't abuse it, nor will he ask for more help than he received. Shaun is a cautious guy, even more so after Derek and his family's betrayal. It will take a while for him to trust beyond his friends.

"I-I will like to put more thoughts into the visit. She's still in county lock up?" he asked softly.

"Yes. I will keep you notified until you make your decision."

"Thank you for trusting me with that information  and also allowing me to make decisions on my own."

"No problem," Bryan returned, giving him the subtle approval that he can leave. After hearing the sound of the door being shut, he gave in to his tiredness. Unconsciously, he was taking on Shaun's burden upon his shoulders. He genuinely cared for the boy. There were too many similarities between the kid and him and his friends. He wanted Shaun to know that this wasn't the end; things do get better.

                                                                              *******

The decision he made took all but three days; he decided to visit the day after.  With Bryan by his side, the two made the drive to county lockup intense silence. Shaun was nervous. He took that time to build his emotional and mental walls up, knowing how much of a viper his sister was. Finally, he decided to see if the remaining strings to the sibling bond were repairable.

"It's your sister," Bryan commented, breaking the silence.

"I know. That's why I'm nervous. It's my sister."

"Meh. I get it and don't get it. I only learned about siblings from the others," he returned.

Shaun snickered at the man's nonchalant shrug, believing that brothers and sisters all are loving like his friends and the younger ones. "You see what some siblings can do."

"Point taken. Here we are."

The county jail was basic. Brick walls, barbed wire fences, the gloomy and desolate front appearance with a parking lot can only hold ten cars or less. Just looking at it, he can feel the dread. 
Plucking his courage, he hopped out of the car and dutifully followed Bryan to the entrance. Upon advice, he made sure to wear clothing with no metal accessory, his Id and phone to be the only things in his pocket, and easy-to-remove shoes. Shaun kept his mouth shut and allowed Bryan to do the talking. Upon entering the building, they were greeted by the warden as he heard the man introduce himself. The older guy guided them through security posts like a maitre'D escorting a rich bloke in a restaurant. 
After a one-sided conversation in favor of the warden, Shaun was shown the empty visitors area. The door behind him slammed shut with a loud click of being locked. There were eight bolted metal tables with benches spaced evenly in the too white room. On the far wall, three-quarters of it were pure glass, giving the view of the coming and goings of the people on the other side of the wall. Three female guards moved back and forth, and the distant buzz sounded. It wasn't long before he saw his sister shuffling along with the guards to the entrance door.
Rising to his feet, Shaun patiently waited for Natalie to enter; when she did, he felt that dull stare pinging off his emotional wall. Face bare of any makeup, hair minus of hairspray now in a single french braid and the jail's white overalls hanging off her slim body. 

"Nat.."

"What do you want? Where's mom?"

Shaun couldn't answer. He was taken aback by her brusque response; though he expected it, the disappointment still covered him.

"I don't know."

"What do you mean, you don't know? God, you're useless. So why are you here?" she asked, taking a seat before him.

"Ummm, mom kicked me out because of the shit you pulled..."

"How the fuck is my fault? You're the one who was in that orgy and the one flaunting his relationship. You're just peeved that you got caught," she interjected.

"It's called privacy, Nat, and you breached that. I never once thought of doing that to you, but one fucking word from that bitch, and you did it to me, your flesh and blood," he shouted. 

"It was a joke. Get over it," Natalie commented, mockingly checking her unpainted nails. Right there. That was it. That was the sign saying it's not worth shit. She's just as he thought. The whole sisterly/brotherly love he thought they had wasn't there. When did it disappear? Natalie was a selfish, heartless bitch who's stubborn and won't see far. 

"You really are class A bitch."

"That's what you came to tell me. You haven't answered my question though, why are you here?" she asked in a dull tone. 

"Trying to figure out that myself."

"Tch. Like if you care. Why don't you get your rich friends to bail me out? Oh no, wait, it's one of them who got me in this place. Did you know that they're murderers? I saw it with my very own eyes. Bryan killed them. Bree and I plan to confess it all in court. That will take them down a notch," she said with a sneer and held his gaze. Silence cloaked them as Natalie waited for her brother to react to what she revealed. Shaun still stood before her, hands in his pockets with that indifferent look on his face.
"Did you hear what I just said? Bryan Winshall is a fucking murderer. He killed Bree's boyfriend and brother in front of us then burned the house down. I saw it. It's the truth," she screamed.

Silence once more.

"So, what do you want me to do about it?" Shaun asked blandly.

"What do you mean? Make yourself useful and tell my lawyer. Isn't that why you came? To help me."

"It was on my thought list. I haven't decided yet. I don't know what to do. After all, I'm useless and can't understand jokes. Good luck in your trial, sister."
Turning on his heel, he casually made his way to the exit as Natalie hurled insults at his back. Reaching the waiting room with the guards' minor help, he reunited with Bryan, who diligently worked on his phone. No words were said. He took a seat beside his brother and placed his head on his shoulder, getting lost in a daze. 

"You're not weak if you cry. On the contrary, it shows how much sadness and anger you alone can bear."

Bryan's soft words were the hammer to break the walls he built. At that moment, Shaun cried in the waiting room of the county jail. Just as the words were uttered to him, he let go of the anger he had at his mother and sister, the sadness of being abandoned and betrayed, and lastly, being put in this situation.

"We'll go home when you're ready."

Shaun smiled through his tears after hearing the word home. He had one.

                                                                                             *********

As Shaun cut his family ties and walked into a new life, back in Spencer, Stacia Fletcher was about to do the same with hers. It's been months now that she arrived in the bustling town and experienced a whole new world. There really is a difference between social classes, and thanks to Taylor, she lived the life of the upper echelons. It was nearing noon, and she was already dressed, waiting for Harem to come pick her up. He planned a lakeside date for them since everyone had their own thing going. 
Looking outside, she took note of the seasonal change happening slowly every day. It also made everyone get back into reality as to their position in life, come the new year. College has been the talk but not as much as traveling. She didn't comment on what she will be doing; as usual, she felt out of place, being a year older than most of them. While they were at school, Taylor and herself found part-time jobs, much to everyone's protests. They were used to taking care of themselves, so lazing around in million-dollar mansions was fun initially, but the novelty wore off. Finally, Stacia found a part-time job at a local restaurant, while Taylor got one at the homework center. The blonde loved kids and was always willing to help; her sunshine attitude was great for the center. They all worried for her and were genuinely happy to see her moving forward from what they ran from. 

"Having two doting boyfriends will do that," Stacia mumbled with a laugh under her breath. She was equally happy that the guys cared deeply for Taylor; she was rooting for them in the background. 
The buzzing of her phone alerted her of Harem's incoming call. "Hey," she answered.

"Hi baby, I'm turning the corner now. Make sure everything is secure before you leave," he returned.

"Already did. I ordered our lunches, so it's a simple pick-up. I'm heading outside now." Ending the call on Harem's last word, Stacia quickly made her way outside, excited as always to see him. Locking the door and running down the stone path to the side gate, Harem pulled up just as she locked the gate. 
"Looking great, baby." His smile made her heart ached beautifully; hiding her blush-stained face under the large brim hat, she quickly made her way into the SUV. He didn't move off immediately; Harem waited for her to settle in before pulling her into a slow kiss. "How you doing, red?" he whispered against her lips. A shudder ran through her when his fingers grazed the sensitive area of her neck. That wasn't a coincidence; Harem knew her soft spots. He chuckled when she failed to form a sentence. "So cute," he said under his breath before turning forward.

"Not fair," she whined.

"You can do it too once you take the initiative," he retorted. Again her face took over in a heated blush, but she found the confidence to take hold of his hand. 

After the order pick-up, the drive to the lake was filled with minor comments about random stuff and the two enjoying each other's company. There was no anxiety to do something to keep each other's attention; they had an invisible string that kept them close. At times, for Stacia, intimate talk or action will show the shy side, but Harem will take note of it and help her out. His maturity always catches her off guard; that's why it's easy to forget their age. 

An annoyed sigh escaped her at her negative thinking. Her obsession with age between them seems to bother her more. It's a mere year, and she was still hung up on that.

"You alright?" Harem asked.

"Uh.... yeah."

Making a non-committal sound, he placed his focus back on the unpaved road that led to the lake. It was Stacia's first time to the lake since she arrived at Spencer. Few trees created dotted the edges of the lake, creating a barrier for the grassy area. Further down, the trees disappear and give way to a pebbled shore where one can walk along or a calmer way to enter the lake. She quickly noticed that there were three other entrances where a few people dotted the area. The area they were now parked in looked more like a campsite. Following him out of the SUV, she sat on a collapsible chair on his orders and watched on as he made the back of the vehicle more comfortable. She smiled when he pulled out a standing tray to place their lunch, finalizing their date venue. 

"No bugs. No one to watch us while we eat and extreme comfort. Let me help you up.'

Settling in, they both ate in silence, appreciating the nature around them and getting their thoughts together. Both had a lot to say to each other; though their relationship was new, the future had to be discussed. 

"Do you see Spencer as a new home?" Harem was the first to start.

"Not fully. I'm at someone's home, so the temporary feel is there. However, I've been thinking of looking for an apartment of my own in the new year."

"That's great. What are your plans? Do you have something that you wish to do?" he pressed.

"I'm interested in the inner goings of a restaurant, so becoming manager of one is a small dream of mine. Working up the ranks, I can achieve that, also with minor classes to help along the way. I've got my high school diploma, also a few certificates, so I'm confident in my academics. However, the need to do something grand isn't there. How about you?"

"I decided to go to college then..... return to New York."

Stacia didn't react for a moment; she had to adjust her emotions towards his statement. A forced smile took home on her lips; a smile Harem didn't like. He knew anything she says next will be a farce. She won't truly say what's on her mind. 

"That's great. I know you will do great in your studies and being back in New York," she commented. The agitated fumbling of her hands gave her away once more. It disheartened Harem. 

"Won't you like to be with me throughout those years, Stacia?"

"Uh.... um... it's not my place to follow you..... umm...."

"What do you mean by not your place? You're my girlfriend. The future I planned had you by my side. Are you planning to call it quits when I leave Spencer?" he asked of her desperately. 

"'My place' means my social standing. You're an heir to a million-dollar company, nephew to billionaires, and wealthy in your own right. I'm a no-name, part-timer who came here due to my relationship with Taylor," she blurted out.  Propping his hand on his elevated knee, he moved his disappointed gaze from her to the outsides of the SUV.

"Do you actually have feelings for me, Stacia, or are you with me because of the situation you were pulled into?"

"Harem, no, it's not what I meant." Thinking over the words she said, it did sound like she was only with him for his sake. That was far from the matter, though. Looking at the man, not boy, who changed her world, his vulnerable state was clear to the eye. The girls made comments numerous times of Harem's sensitivity. Out of the three cousins, he was the most soft-hearted than Elijah and Mischa. The imposing aura of the other two eclipses Harem's state; that's why he can move on his own without getting hurt. The three protect each other so they can all be strong on their own. 

Composing herself, she pushed their makeshift lunch table to the side and climbed into his arms. At first, he didn't respond as he normally does, but after a few wasted seconds, he gave into his natural movements. He wrapped his arms around her slender body, draining away her tension and anxiety. Closing her eyes, the kiss on her temple came next. She loved that part of his hugs. 

"It hurts, red. Do you truly think of us as worlds apart? Is there something I'm missing? I thought you were happy in being with me; that's why I planned with you in mind," he said softly.

"I am happy being with you, baby. I apologize if it looks like I'm allowing myself to be carried away by you but look at things from my perspective. I've always depended on myself in the social status I was born in. To catch the eye of someone great as you is like a dream. My mental and social thinking hasn't caught up as yet. That's why the future of being by your side hasn't manifested. While being with you, I'm still fussing over our silly one-year age difference. I see myself as a full-grown working adult, but to the world, I'm still a kid."

"I'm sorry. I guess having you in my life placed some blind spots in my way. So let me ask you officially. Stacia Fletcher, would you like to be my girlfriend and accompany me on this journey of adulthood?"

Stacia snickered at his choice of words, but his sincerity was written in his eyes. They were both young; it won't be bad to see what the world has to offer them both.

"As long as my little dreams can fit beside yours."

"Of course, red, anything for you."

Just like that, the once struggling waitress of New York found her happiness with a quiet modern-day prince. Her Harem.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 120 42
Sierra Leones finds herself in the center of drama just as four measly teenage boys wiggle their way into her life. Taking her on adventures and taki...
153K 4K 35
"So here I am, bawling my eyes out on my bed. I've got mascara streaming down my face, my eyes are red and puffy, I can't breathe, and it feels like...
2.5K 93 24
Ionie Harrison is a A+ athletic student who what's to become valedictorian for her class and get into the top schools to become a pediatrician when...
17 0 8
Maya Johnson is the typical go to school and come straight back home type of girl. Her friends, Destiny and Imani, are the opposite of Maya and are a...