It Comes Naturally

By nerdyflirtykari

Moving to a new town means nothing to some people but for Erica Hollis moving to a new country meant a lot. H... More

Prologue
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
Special Feature
14. - A Promise of Forever
A Promise of Forever
A Promise Of Forever
A Promise of Forever
15. - A Promise Of Forever
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
Bonus Chapter
30.
32.
33.
Epilogue
Extra #1 - The Young Master

31.

2K 168 38
By nerdyflirtykari

Caribbean Dialect Included

Waking up on the wrong side of the bed won't describe the uneasy yet irritable feeling Erica was experiencing. A new week for school and Mondays usually turns out fine for her but reading that 'mistake text'- that's what she dubbed it - made her night now day foreboding.

 "Wam to you?"

 Erica managed to mumble the words morning as she entered the kitchen for breakfast. Her father spotted her coming in and paused after seeing her death walk. 

"Dah girl message me on Facebook," she answered as she prepared a cup of coffee. Not everyone can make coffee to a specific liking, and she had a certain method in making it her special way.

 "Ummm yuh sister, right? Giselle. Wah she want?" Julius asked, putting all his attention on his daughter. After learning how she was treated back on the island, his protection level for her grew immensely. Her mother severed all ties to her after Erica bravely reached out to her, and now her half-sister was reaching out to her. It was suspicious. Thinking it over, he got a hint as to why she was contacted. "Wait. Elijah post up anything with you?" he asked.

"I ain't check it out yet, but he post up ah selfie I took with his phone when ah was playing with his pets. Since we made it official, we agreed on one pic, and I guess she saw that. He ain't tag me doh but ah sure it popular by now," she answered nonchalantly.

  "So de fame card she wanna use den, as expected. Wah you guh do?" he asked plating their meals.

 "Ignoring it was de plan but she have dis ego jed. Ah will deal wid she later," she said taking a small sip of her coffee. Julius chuckled when she made a contented sigh and praised herself for making a good cup. 

Putting aside that minor issue, Julius started a new topic on their thanksgiving trip and her plans for after high school. He made it clear that he won't force her into college or work; the decision will be hers. He witnessed too many classmates who were forcing themselves to learn about things they had no interest in. Not only that, the 'tradition' - and he uses this term loosely- of kicking kids out to be an adult when eighteen without the proper help. His parents nurtured them all since they were in a new environment that pushed him to continue his love of cars and leave home, well, the state. Julius wishes the same with his child.

 "College always dey and so many things to learn in dis country. I was thinking to go back to Tobago for a while then come back an' see more of this country before ah decide," she commented.

 "So, like a country-wide trip?"

 "Yeah. Ah, wanna see de places Josh Gates visit here. Yuh know de show Expedition Unknown at ah like? Those places."

 The excitement she spoke with only made him quietly plan on sponsoring this trip of hers. Since arriving in the US, he will admit to visiting three states outside of the one the family decided to live in. The traveling spirit must have missed him and went on to his little girl. He won't stop her, but her safety is what he will worry about. It's still early in the planning, the talk of a companion will come up soon. 
After breakfast, they both got ready to start the day. Knowing Elijah will be arriving soon, Julius said his goodbyes to her and left the house through the side door. Backing out of the garage, he saw the familiar SUV pulling up at the curb in his peripheral. He waved at the driver when the blare of the horn sounded. Elijah hopped out of the SUV and gave him a very enthusiastic greeting before going up the staircase. This was their normal routine. The front door was unlocked in the mornings, knowing Elijah pops up at any hour after the sun rises. The kid made his daughter happy, and that's all that matters. God forbid anyone who plans to destroy that.

~~~~

 "Babe?!"

 Elijah firmly closed the door and made his way to Erica's bedroom. "Morning." 

 "Morning, baby," he greeted. Kneeling beside her on the floor, he gave her lips a chaste kiss before sitting back to watch her style her hair. He asked what she was doing as she combed the brushed her hair twice before repeating the actions after putting two products in.

 "Two strand twists for de week. Not in de mood to comb mih hair every day. Yuh want me to comb yours too? You had it out for de whole ah last week," she commented. 

"Please and thank you," he returned with a wide grin.

 "So why you so happy? Wam?" Erica asked, chuckling at his animated expression. His brown eyes were shining, and by the way, he was currently fidgeting; she knew it was big news. Stopping her actions, she gave him the attention he deserved. Seeing this, Elijah's entire being actually glowed brighter under his excitement, love, and appreciation. 

 "Tell me," she said, giving him an opening.

 Not missing a beat, he took it.

 "I'm going to be an uncle!" he blurted out. 

 "Oh shit! Who pregnant?" Erica added to the exciting news. 

 "Mari!"

 The two celebrated before going into the group chat to relay the news. It seems like Elijah was waiting to tell Erica first before anyone else. He wanted to see her reaction to it all and was not disappointed at all. Allowing her to finish style her hair, he talked excitedly about having a new baby in the family. Both he and Shaye agreed on wanting a baby nephew, for two different reasons came to that agreement. 

 "Hey, Erica?" Elijah called out after a moment of silence. She was through with her hair and was now undressing to take a shower.

 "Yeah, babe." Looking over her shoulder as she tucked the towel tighter, she was blessed with the image of a sun-kissed Elijah donning the softest expression she saw on his face. The sun lighting his eyes changed them to precious amber. His eyes were like jewels only for her possession. The look he wore was only for her. The relaxed position and comfortable aura were all because of her. How was she so lucky to have him in her life?

 "I love you."

  At that moment, those three powerful words coming from his lips will forevermore place a big impact on Erica's heart, soul, and body. Reverence, sincerity, appreciation, and passion were all wrapped in one tone coming from Elijah. Losing strength in her knees, she grabbed the doorpost and took a deep breath. Her eyes became glassy with a breathy laugh escaping her. "Boy, you know wah you do dey?" she asked, placing her hand over her racing heart. 

 "Yes. I told my girl how I truly felt, and it seems like she understood completely," he returned. A soft smile played on his lips as he got to his feet. Frozen on the spot she stood, she waited for him to invade her personal space, trapping her against the door frame. "This is my promise to you, Erica Hollis, the woman to have possession of me. You're my first and last real love. We may fight along the way, things may feel pointless in the long run, but I promise to stay at your side, loving and caring for you. Do you accept that, baby?"

 She couldn't get her answer out. The intensity in his eyes and the low treble of his voice made her tongue-tied. Nodding her head in response, she crashed her lips against his, promising the same with each kiss she blessed him with. Elijah wrapped his arms around her body, taking in its warmth and the love she was flowing into him. He was happy, extremely so. 

Like his parents and older sister, he found that one person to complete his world: his beautiful island flower, Erica.

~~

Thanks to minor distractions, Elijah and Erica arrived after the first bell, but it didn't seem like anyone was heading inside. Students were huddled in groups peering over phones and calling out to others. The only group outside of this phenomenon were their friends, who stood patiently at the school doors. Walking past the groups and kids who decided to actually go inside, they met up with their friends and entered the building. "Did we miss something?" Elijah asked, throwing his arm around Erica's shoulder. 

"Big brother confirmed a rumor that sparked today," Harem commented.

 "And dat is? I wanna know too," Erica pressed when they all lapsed into silence.

"Bree and Natalie are currently sitting in a jail cell under drug distribution charges," he said lowly. Erica and Elijah stood watching their friends, utterly dumbfounded. "Excuse me?" Elijah asked in a near shriek.
Gathering closer, Harem relayed the short confirmation of Bryan dropping them off at the police station with the claim of drug distribution and accessory to kidnapping. To back up the news they heard from their older brother, three jocks were in the same police station. Apparently, there was a wild frat party in the other town, and the neighbors called the cops. The three high schoolers caught were from Spencer high and witnessed in living color the girls being dragged into the station kicking and screaming. 

"Wow. How de hell she get mix up in dat shit?" Erica voiced.

Elijah stayed quiet as his friends voiced their opinions and innocently wondered if that was some sort of karma for her bullying. He had his deductions since they were together but kept his mouth shut. Her expensive clothing, the change of cars, and the random smell of weed on her body if she got too close. It was stereotypical to think along those lines, but he used his knowledge on Bree and the path she longed to live. She reminded him of someone his sisters commented on over the summer holidays.
Living in California, Charisse and Lane took their free time seriously and made their own 'backyard discovery.' The couple used visiting hidden treasures like parks, restaurants, historical small towns, and so forth as part of strengthening their relationship. It was a trip to Napa Valley, visiting one of the oldest wineries when the couple came into contact with their old schoolmate. Of course, they didn't recognize her at first, but the self-entitled shout with the condescending tone bolstering it brought their attention to her. Dressed in high-end casual fashion, a yapping dog in her arms and the impeccably dressed man by her side. There was no mistaking it. It was Bethany Monroe in the flesh after many years. As it turned out, she found her golden ticket and has been living on someone's millions. She was living her ideal life to the fullest. 
Charisse commented that both she and Lane avoided any contact with Bethany as she berated a poor attendant.
That was the easy life Bree wanted, even as she condemned his family name. He had nothing against her choices, but he wished she accomplished it more privately.

"Babe? Elijah?"

  "Huh? Yes, baby. What's wrong?" He didn't realize he was lost in thought while the others dispersed for their classes. 

 "De bell ring and is time fuh me to go to class," Erica answered, stepping into his personal space. "Yuh good?"

 A breathy laugh escaped him before he placed a gentle kiss on her lips. "I'm sorry for worrying you, baby. Everything that happened over the years to now came back to my mind. I guess with Bree getting her just desserts in that messed up way, and I'm looking forward to some smooth sailing from now," he explained.

"Ah guess you right. From what you told me bout yuh sister dem senior year, it's like getting rid of de bad vibes before being an adult," she returned. Elijah glanced her way as they walked side by side to their first class. Her personal deduction of things are always on point, and to hear it in her accent, comes across like an old wise soul speaking to him.

 "On point as always, baby." She giggled under his playful kiss to her cheek, snaking her arm around his waist. Just as he declared earlier, her spot was next to him, and he will always be by her side. 

 "Hey. Wah you think about going to Tobago for de spring break thing I heard about," she asked with much hope in her voice.

 Elijah was giddy inside. His girl was thinking so far ahead for both of them and their first overseas trip. He chose the right girl this time. 
"Will I get that dish you spoke about? Umnmnmn curry crab and dumplings?"

 "Of course an' plenty more. You will love de island."

 'I love the beautiful flower that came from it, and I have no doubt I will love it too,' he thought to himself as Erica blessed him with a beaming smile. Days together will be so much fun.

                                                                    ********

It was the third class before the lunch bell, and the entire student body was still buzzing about Bree and Natalie's arrest. Selby quietly listened to all concocted stories sitting in her designated seat that many have led the girls to their major embarrassment. She was curious but not so much that she was going to participate in that gossip path. Her entire private life was once their main source. It still was a source, but only little updates since her ex now has a new 'girlfriend' in his arms. A part of her was happy that those two were in that situation after what they did to her. She was sure the third party to her town-wide humiliation felt the same. Shaun hasn't returned to school; word has it he transferred to Monroe High, but she doubts that tidbit. The disgraced soccer player had a valuable person in his corner. Elijah Johnson. 
Selby knew of the two close friendships, even with both in different friend groups. It came from middle school soccer games and the popular boy group with Trey and Alec. The four were loyal to each other no matter what. She concluded that Elijah helped Shaun with his school career and probably more.

 "Harem! Over here!"

 Turning from the window, she and others watched as Harem Kertalis made his way into the class. In Selby's opinion, he was no longer reserved and wary of the people around him. Harem now kept his brown curls low, showing off newly pierced ears. The shining gems on the studs matched his eyes and bright smile as he approached the guy that called out to him. "Sorry for making you come to meet me here. I'm behind on my assignments thanks to that damn virus on the laptop," the guy said, standing to greet Harem.

 "No problem. Here you go. The receipt and work details are in the bag. I had my uncle deliver your pops own since he drives by the office every day," Harem said, handing him a branded shopping bag.

 "Whoa, it's like one of those high-end business transactions. I thought this was a hobby."

 "Gotta think about the future, right? I can't live on my parents' cash forever."

The guy's friends huddled closer as he removed the secured laptop from the black silicon bag with HK branded on it. Tearing off the paper, they all voiced their reaction to the personalized design of the laptop, all courtesy of Harem. The colors were understated but eyecatching simultaneously; hidden in the design was the guy's favorite Marvel superhero, which was the base of the request.

"DUDE! This is beyond what I expected. Oh?! You even placed your signature on it. That's cool," he commented, glossing his fingers over the gold signature.

 "And a safeguard. I'm glad you like it. I resolved the virus and ran a free diagnostic on your laptop. Any questions, feel free to call me," Harem voiced before taking his leave out of the class. 

 "I didn't know he does this stuff?" someone asked.

 "He doesn't advertise it, but a few know about his design and repair business, so it's like a word of mouth thing. Once you contact him via email only then you'll be a client of his," was the answer.

 "Why that way?" the person asked once more as they, along with Selby, watched on as Harem's work was fawned over.

 "What's his name?"

 "Harem Kertalis." The answer came with genuine confusion and distraction as their focus was on the group of boys. The class teacher entered and merely sat at his desk after writing 'study block' on the whiteboard. Selby continued to listen to the conversation behind her while feigning to read her textbook.

"His name is all the explanation, you idiot. The dude is setting up his own identity without the fanfare of his super talented family. He's doing the right thing."

The hobby she thought was silly is now being praised by their classmates. She humored him by listening to his love of computers as Derek strung her along. Stupidly she allowed her ex to bash the guy who stayed by her side, and even part took in some of that bashing. Guilt ran through her as instances of taking her past friendship with Haremn for granted came back to her. She was as bad as Bree while going after the happy, loving relationship she thought she had with Derek. Was being selfish worth all this pain? She resorted to building up high ice walls as she finished her high school career, not wanting to deal with them any longer. 
Releasing a sigh, she allowed it all to wash over her, the mental strain that was placed on her to survive this warzone named high school. Losing a friend who was devoted to her, being betrayed by the guy she loved, pushing away people who genuinely cared about her, and alienating herself from society - it's all tiring. 

  She couldn't wait to leave Spencer and create a new life for herself.

                                                                  ********

This was all getting tiring to Mischa. The path he took as Spencer High's latest playboy was now becoming boring. Popularity came as second nature thanks to the family name; having girls fawn over him- the numbers exceeded when he extracted himself from the group; indulging in every teen boy's wet dream was becoming a chore. What should he do next? 
Thinking of the future was never his thing. His parents always said in a roundabout way that his position for the ranch was there. Also, as a son of wealthy parents, a trust fund that will take years to come to an end was his for the taking.

 Sitting in the school's cafeteria with his new friends talking about some silly game with a girl in his lap, his eyes averted to his cousins' group. There, they were, habitually oblivious to the attention they gained as they laughed among themselves, talking about things most teenagers have no clue about. They acted similar to their older brothers and sisters; Mischa heard one or two teachers made that comment with a reminiscent smile on their faces. 
He knew they were all ready to start the next step of their lives, but what about him? Ranching has no appeal for him; the only thing that he enjoys to a point was working for his aunt. As a gardener for her, the part-time job was bearable thanks to the old jobs he had around the ranch when he visited. Is that his calling? To work with his hands to create something beautiful for others? 

Maybe.

He didn't know. He needed some time to figure things out. Life was running away.

 "Baby, what's wrong?"

"Nothing." Looking at the girl in his lap, he tried to remember her name. Oh crap, he thought, wasn't that a cliche playboy moment. She had on the typical cheerleading outfit, so her name may be related to fruit, car, or nature, maybe a state? 

 "How about we go somewhere tonight? Somewhere nice?" the girl pushed.

 "Don't you have practice or something?" Mischa was trying to weasel out of it. Socializing or having an awkward dinner that may lead to thank you sex.

She giggled and tried to reply in a cute voice when saying no. He truly wasn't motivated to go out so early in a school week, so he abruptly turned her down.
"Staying in for the night, you can ask someone else," he said, gently pushing her off his lap.

 "But we can get some alone time, Mischa. Please," she whined.

"No."

Mischa was confused when she huffed like a two-year-old and pouted even more. "You're the only child, aren't you?' he asked.

"Dude, how can you forget or not hear. Montana is the Diamond Dale Car dealership heiress. He got ten dealerships in exclusive states, so basically, she gets what she wants," someone clarified at the table. Looking at the girl who was now the main subject, she had a very pleased smile on her face as the guys comment on the high-end cars her father procured. A mean streak in Mischa bloomed after watching the girl's ego inflate.

 "If I had to hazard a guess, your father's main branch is in Montana, huh?"

   "Yup! How did you know?" she chirped. He heard a snort of laughter before it was covered up with a cough. Not turning around, he knew it was one of his buddies whom he was more close to than the others.
"Wild guess, but it's still a no on your date invitation," he said with a placating smile. Montana shrugged and went to the next guy in less than a second. 

  "The cold bad boy look is doing well," his friend commented with a chuckle.

 "Hush. I'm not in the mood to be courteous and sociable," Mischa grumbled as he got to his feet. Garrison was the guy's name, dubbed player for his looks and the Ducati bike he rides, but truly he was simply a sarcastic introvert with the love of reading. He followed him through the cafeteria and down the hall to the gym.

"Better?" Mischa asked, glancing at the guy. His shoulders lost their tension, and he looked much more at ease as he got further away from the noisy lunchroom.

 "Social levels are normalizing," he joked.

 "I understand. Elijah and Harem are the same; that's why they stay with people they know closely."

  "It shows. So what have you so deep in thought and out of it," Garrison asked, tucking his hands in his jeans.

  "Life after Spencer. I have no idea what to do. What path to take. Should I go with my folks' plan, or should I go with something else? It's a lot to think about," he answered.

"Isn't that every senior's worry at a time like this? It's nearing Thanksgiving, and it's an unofficial race to get college applications out, perform the best for scouts in the sports field and get the best recommendation later from the higher-ups. It's even stressful to me, and I'm just talking about it."

 "What about you? Any plans?" Mischa asked as they came to the door of the gym.

 "A year off from books and school life then some college to get the achievements to be an editor. I do small-time editing for this e-book company, so I want to be academically sound for the job," he confidently answered. 

Stopping at the bay of lockers, he eyed his friend closely. "You're not planning to leave your house after college, huh?" he teased.

 "Only for groceries," Garrison said with pride staining his voice. Mischa couldn't help but laugh and think, maybe a year break from the thought of college was a great idea.

 Seeing what the world has to offer is the best thing that he can totally agree on.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.3K 339 78
It's not always Black and White. Two potential lovers, who never realised how much they needed each other until they met. Bea, a black girl in a pred...
28.5K 369 22
Adriana is a pretty girl. Shes what every girl wants to be. Has the ideal body. She's a cheerleader and doesn't get along with her squad, she very to...
333K 11K 87
BWWM** Seventeen year old aaliyah brown has the hands of an angel and has been gifted with a god given talent for bringing anything to life on a blan...
2.5K 93 24
Ionie Harrison is a A+ athletic student who what's to become valedictorian for her class and get into the top schools to become a pediatrician when...