Under The Same Sky | Newt X ¡...

By 1-800-MH

*CURRENTLY EDITING* 𑁍 = Edited (You can still read) Based on The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials & Death Cure *... More

A/n and short trailer
~Cast~
•Just The Beginning• 𑁍
•The Task• 𑁍
•Cranks•
•Sob Stories•
•Friends•
A/n! Must read!
Ch.6 •My Boys•
Ch.7 •Rooftop•
Ch.8 •Later Boys•
Ch.9 •RUN•
Ch.11 •Brenda?•
Ch.12 •Favorite Song•
Ch.13 •Marcus•
Ch.14 •Right Arm•
Ch.15 •Traitor•
Ch.16 •What Now•
Ch.17 •Letters•
Ch.18 •Train Heist•
Ch.19 •Drained•
Ch. 20 •Tunnel•
Ch.21 •Buttercup?•
Ch. 22 •The Last City•
Ch.23 •Promises•
Ch.24 •He's Not Here•
Ch.25 •You're Insane!•
Ch.26 •We Will Finish It•
Ch.27 •Just Leave Me•
Ch.28 •Take Me Home•
Ch. 29 •Her Hazel Eyes•
Ch. 30 •It's Okay•
Ch. 31 •Peace•
Ch.32 •Safe Haven•
Ch.33 •Nightmares•
Ch.34 •The Final Chapter•
Extra: *More than Just Photos*

Ch.10 •The Scorch•

1.5K 31 23
By 1-800-MH

Y/n's POV:

We ran up an escalator running till we reached another escalator. Before we could get to the second escalator we were face to face with a crank. Aris was the one brave enough to go at it and swing at the crank's legs with a bat he found earlier. Only Teresa and Thomas were able to go up that escalator. "Come on let's go around!" I yelled at the boys behind me as they followed me to the escalator on the other side. I let Winston, Newt, and Minho go up the escalator first. With Fry a bit behind me and Jack behind him. I heard Fry yell, I turned around to see a crank on him and Jack trying to push the crank off.

I helped Jack push the crank off but during the process, another crank grabbed Jack and started dragging him back. I grabbed my rifle and shot the crank holding Jack two times. Before Jack could run back to us another crank caught us off guard and pulled Jack with him shattering the railing beside him. Jack was holding onto the railing "Y/n! Frypan!" Both Fry and I were now holding onto Jack's hands trying to pull him up but the crank below him wouldn't let go. "Jack!!" Fry and I both yelled trying to pull him up. Before we knew it we were caught off guard and another crank jumped on top of Jack causing him to fall to his death.

I felt terrible, I barely knew the boy but he was so innocent and didn't deserve to die. I wish I acted fast enough or let him run up the escalator first. I looked at Fry, a sad shocked look on his face "I'm so sorry Fry..." I said with a frown, before I could do anything else we were both being pulled up the escalator. Minho pulled me behind him while Winston pulled Fry with him. "Come on let's go!" "Come on!" Both Minho and Winston yelled. We ran until we reached the others and ran through a long hallway. I ran next to Thomas with Newt slightly behind me limping, I wasn't going to ask him about it unless he brings it up, could be personal.

We kept running until I heard glass break behind me I quickly turned around to see a crank on top of Newt. "Ew," I heard Newt say while trying to push the crank off himself. I quickly positioned myself with my rifle and shot the crank on top of Newt. The crank fell and Thomas quickly kicked the crank off through a glass railing. "Thanks, love. Thanks, Tommy!" Newt said to Thomas and me as I gave him a hand to stand. "Nice shot," Thomas yelled as we started running again. I gave him a slight nod, "Nice kick," I yelled back. We ran until we took a turn into a long hallway that led to three closed doors. "It's a dead-end!" Screamed Minho.

Thomas, Minho, and Fry tried kicking the door open while I was looking for my handgun in my backpack. Once I found it I handed it to the closest person next to me, Winston. "We'll hold them back!" I yelled as I reloaded my gun. Winston and I were now shooting the cranks down but they wouldn't slow down they just kept running, getting closer. "Get the door open!" Winston yelled as he pushed me behind him. I turned around to see Fry running at the door when it suddenly burst open and everyone started running out.

Before we could run out the door Winston was pulled back by cranks, he held onto the door as Newt and I pulled his arms, and Minho and Thomas tried closing the door. As we were pulling Winston away the cranks created a deep gash on his stomach. When we were finally able to pull him away a crank grabbed my ankle and dug its nails into my leg. Before I could react Newt yanked my rifle off of my shoulder and shot the crank. He quickly grabbed my hand and pulled me away running from the cranks. Once we made it out of the building we ran and hid under some barely standing boulders.

I was sitting in between Newt and Winston. I carefully wrapped Winston's stomach with a bandage as he grunted in pain. "How's your leg?"Winston asked pointing to my bloody ankle. "It's okay don't worry about me. Your health is more important right now," I said as I finished wrapping his stomach. "Thank you Y/n," he said as he gave me a tired smile before falling asleep. I looked around to see everyone asleep. I was sitting there quietly as I heard the cranks go away. As I was sitting there I felt Newt move around beside me. I turned to look at him to find him already looking at me. He broke the silence "what are you doing? Get some rest," he said as I heard his British accent more clearly than before.

I looked down and fiddled with my bracelet, "I- I can't sleep, I haven't been able to sleep since my parents died. I see them every time I try to sleep," I said finally looking at him. "They'd be proud of you, you know. Your parents you've helped us all a lot and saved me," he said as he put a hand over mine. His eyes drifted off to my leg, he grabbed a cloth beside him and wrapped it around my ankle. "Thanks, Newt," I whispered. I felt him put his arm around my shoulder and pull me closer to him, "Try getting some sleep, I'll be here if you get nightmares," I felt safe as he had his arm around me, I nodded and closed my eyes feeling myself fall asleep.

Newt's POV:

I finished wrapping her wound, "Thanks, Newt." I heard her tiredly whisper. I got the urge and confidence to put my arm around her and pull her closer to my body, "try gettin' some sleep, I'll be here if you get nightmares," I told her. She nodded and laid her head on my chest. I've only known this girl for a day but all I want to do is keep her safe. I felt her body loosen up against mine. She was asleep, her chest slowly rising up and down as she peacefully slept. She'd flinch once in while. Every time she flinched I'd squeeze her hand or rub her back, reminding her I was here. I felt myself slowly fall asleep with my arms around her.

•••••••••••••
A/n: Newts pov is hard for me since it is new. So it might not sound a lot like him so bare with me, thanks! <3
•••••••••••••
(The next morning)

Y/n's POV:

I woke up to the sound of something moving around and someone moving around. A crow was pecking at someone's bag while Thomas was trying to shoo it away with his hand. Newt had woken up to all the noise Thomas was making and so had everyone else. "Morning love, How was your sleep," asked Newt sitting up. "It was very good, thanks Newt," I responded. "They gone?" Spoke up Newt as Thomas looked around. "Yeah I think we're safe for now," Thomas answered as everyone started getting up. I grabbed my things and Newt gave me a hand up. Once I stood up I heard Winston grunt in pain beside me. "Hey, man you okay?" I heard Fry say as he pulled Winston up to his feet.

Winstons wound wasn't doing too well I could see it bleeding through the bandage. He was getting weaker by the minute. We walked through an old abandoned scorched city. "What the hell happened to this place?" Fry asked to no one specific. "I don't know. But it doesn't look like anyone's been here in a long time," answered Newt. "I hope the whole world's not like this," said Aris. "I hope so too," I said from in front of him and behind Minho. We all kept walking when we all turned around at the sound of Thomas, "Woah. Woah-wo hang on stop!" We all quickly stopped on spot, "do you hear that?" Thomas question. As the noise started getting closer I said, "it's a berg" but it only came out as a whisper.

How could I ever forget that sound? The sound of the thing that took my brother away."-down! Everybody hide!" I heard Thomas yell as I zoned back in. Luckily Minho noticed this and pulled me under the rock structure with him. Aris, Winston, and Thomas hid on one side while Fry and Teresa sat behind Minho, Newt, and me. "They're never going to stop looking for us. Are they?" I heard Minho on my right ask no one in particular. "Not until we make it out of this shit hole. And get as far away from those assholes as possible," I said patting his shoulder. All he did was turn to look at me as Fry chuckled at my choice of words.

We all climbed over scorched buildings. I walked a little behind everyone just to help Winston once in a while. We got to a large dune where we all stood catching our breaths as sand blew everywhere I was in between Teresa and Winston. We looked out into the view to see more scorched buildings and mountains still very far away. "There's mountains. That's gotta, be it. That's where we're going," Thomas said as he pointed out into the distance. "That's a long way off," I heard Newt say. "Then we'd better get moving," said Minho.

I heard Winston grunt as he removed his bag from his body. "Hey, Winston let me ca-" before I could even finish my sentence Winston fell face-first into the sand. I tried catching him but it all happened too quick "Winston!" I yelled getting everyone's attention. Thomas and the others quickly ran over. I had Winston's head on my lap, "Hey Winston can you hear me! Come on!" I yelled trying to shake his body. "He's hurt pretty bad" I heard someone say behind me. "What do we do?" Asked Teresa looking at me and Thomas. Fry and Newt kept trying to call out to the half-unconscious boy.

We ended up building a sort of stretcher to pull him with us. The wind storm was getting stronger so we had to find some shelter. I was now sitting in between Fry and Minho watching as Fry dumped out all the sand from his shoes. Aris was sitting against some rocks. Winston was now sleeping his chest rising up and down fast. I had one last water bottle, I poured half into Minho's bottle as I shared my half with Fry. Teresa and Thomas were standing over at a dune looking out into the scorch, they have something together I could tell.

Newt came and sat next to Minho as they shared water. I stood up and looked into the distance towards Thomas and Teresa and yelled, "Hey lovebirds! How's it looking?!" As Newt came and stood beside me. "Just a little further!" Thomas responded giving me a really look. "That's not very convincing," said Newt looking at me as we both turned to look at Minho, Fry, and Aris. We both went back and sat down. When we heard a gunshot Minho and Newt quickly pushed me behind them. These guys were always so protective.

Fry quickly ran to take the gun out of Winston's hand. "Guys get down here!" Aris yelled at Thomas and Teresa. When they came down Teresa looked suspicious but I didn't bother to think too much about it. "What happened?!" Yelled Thomas. "I don't know he just woke up grabbed the gun and tried to-" I took my gun out of Fry's hands and put it on my gun holster. "Winston, Winston you okay?" Thomas asked Winston as he kneeled beside him. Winston threw up black gunk liquid. I looked away in disgust remembering having to hold the bucket for my mom and dad when they were sick. "It's- it's growing...inside me," Winston managed to say with a shaky voice as he lifted his shirt to reveal the flare spreading quickly.

We all looked at each other than at Winston. "I'm not gonna make it," Winston whispered. The boys next to me looked at me looking to see if there was anything I could do. I had told them about how I looked after my parents and how they died. I looked at the boys next to me and slightly shook my head. "Please...don't let me turn into one of those...things," Winston says putting his hand out for the gun in my holster. I wanted to take it out, give it to him so that he wouldn't go through the same pain my parents did but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Newt noticed this and pulled the gun out of my holster and kneeled next to Winston, grabbed the gun, Winston's hand, and placed it on Winstons' chest. "Thank you. Now get out of here," I heard Winston say. "Goodbye Winston," Newt said as he got up and walked away. Minho and Fry said their goodbyes. Fry with tears in his eyes patted my shoulder and walked past me. Thomas and I were the last ones left, "it's okay," Winston whispered looking at Thomas, "I'm sorry," Thomas said with tears in his eyes. "Thomas... take care of them," Thomas turns around to Winston, nods and walks away.

I kneeled beside Winston, "I'm sorry I couldn't do more to help," I said with a shaky voice tears threatening to fall from my eyes. "It's okay...It's okay don't blame yourself. I know you and Thomas will lead them to safety, I believe in you." I pushed some of his hair out of his face, "Promise to tell him your his sister...I know you are" "I think you're right, I will soon I promise," I said as I stood up and put my backpack on. "Goodbye, Winston."
"Goodbye, Y/n."

I caught up to Thomas and the rest. We all walked in a line over the dunes. We all walked in silence no one saying a word. I fiddled with my bracelet thinking about what Winston had said, I should tell him soon. I heard a gunshot from far and so did everyone else. I suddenly stopped walking and so did everyone else. My heart stopped we lost another friend. A tear rolled down my cheek. Winston was gone.

When it got dark we found an abandoned ship (I'm not sure what it was I think it was a ship) half-buried under the sand. We decided to stay and make a fire under some old storage containers. I sat between Newt and Aris. We all sat there in silence for a while. "I thought we were supposed to be immune," spoke Minho as he fidgeted with a pocket knife. "Not all of us, I guess," said Teresa looking into the fire. "If Winston can get infected we should assume so could the rest of us," Newt said looking at the fire as I put my head on his shoulder. "I never thought I'd say it...I miss the Glade," Fry said with a tear rolling down his cheek.

•••••••••••••
Word count: 2560

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

149K 4.3K 19
Even though what is left of the Gladers has escaped the Maze, this does not mean they're safe. What happens when they're forced to face the terrors o...
109K 5.5K 54
[REWRITE COMING SOON] A story where a boy with a mysterious and complicated past falls for the boy with a limp. [ newt x male oc x teresa] *** PART I...
40.7K 695 19
A year and a half have passed since Y/N got captured by W.I.C.K.E.D along with Minho. Newt have been restless, he's training really hard so he can h...
17.2K 389 34
'You have my word, I'm with you till the end.' *READ THE GIRL IN THE GLADE + THE GIRL IN THE SCORCH* It's been six months, six months since they l...