Chosen : Assassin Book 1

By HeatherWampler

Chosen when a child, Lady Joselyn is trained to be a ruthless killer. She is destined to be the English king'... More

Chosen - Chapter One
Chosen - Chapter Two
Chosen - Chapter Three
Chosen - Chapter Four
Chosen - Chapter Five
Chosen - Chapter Six
Chosen - Chapter Seven
Chosen - Chapter Eight
Chosen- Chapter Nine
Chosen - Chapter Ten
Chosen - Chapter Eleven
Chosen - Chapter Twelve
Chosen - Chapter Thirteen
Chosen - Chapter fourteen
Chosen - Chapter Fifteen
Chosen - chapter sixteen
Chosen - chapter seventeen
Chosen - Chapter eighteen
Chosen - Chapter nineteen
Chosen - chapter twenty
Chosen - chapter twenty-one
Chosen - chapter twenty-two
Chosen - chapter twenty-three
Chosen - chapter twenty-five
Chosen - chapter twenty-six
Chosen - chapter twenty-seven
Chosen - chapter twenty-eight
Chosen - chapter twenty-nine
Chosen - chapter thirty
Chosen - chapter thirty-one
Chosen - chapter thirty-two
Chosen - chapter thirty-three
Chosen - chapter thirty-four
Chosen - chapter thirty-five
Chosen - chapter thirty-six
Chosen - chapter thirty-seven
Chosen - chapter thirty-eight
Chosen- chapter thirty-nine
Chosen - Chapter forty
Chosen- chapter forty-one
Chosen- chapter forty-two
Chosen - Chapter Forty-Three
Chosen - chapter forty-four
Chosen - chapter forty-five
Chosen - chapter forty-six
Chosen - chapter forty-seven
Chosen - chapter forty-eight
Chosen - chapter forty-nine
Chosen - Chapter Fifty
Chosen - Chapter Fifty-One
Chosen - Chapter Fifty-Two
Chosen - Chapter Fifty-Three
Chosen - Chapter Fifty-Four
Chosen - Epilogue

Chosen - chapter twenty-four

73.7K 2.8K 179
By HeatherWampler

Chapter Twenty-Four

I knelt on the floor in front of my weapons trunk. During the ride I decided not to wear any of my blades, it was time to walk about the castle. Something in the pit of my stomach urged me to check around. I strapped the leather sheath around my thigh and slid my sharpest dagger in.

"Is everything all right?" Angeline asked, noticing me slip on my shoes.

"Yes. I figured it was just time to check on things about the castle."

"Any particular reason why?"

"No. I'm feeling uneasy is all," I said, crossing the room.

"Would you like to take supper here?"

"That sounds great."

"I'll have something brought up for you within the hour."

I nodded my head and slipped out the door. Torches along the wall illuminated the darkness that had crept into the castle. Everything was silent. The quiet made me feel very uncomfortable.

Something isn't right.

I crept along the wall, staying in whatever shadows I could find. My heart slammed against my chest with each step I took. It felt as though I would run into some awful thing at any turn.

Where is Cassius?

I peered over my shoulder toward the door to his chamber. It was shut, but no guards stood out front. Furrowing my brow, I continued along.

Perhaps he's in his study.

I left the safety of the castle and walked the courtyard. Torchlight cast dancing shadows everywhere. Letting my eyes adjust to the change, I tried to decipher everything. Anything could have been a person lurking in a crevice waiting to pounce on the next unsuspecting passerby.

The dining hall lights shone through the windows brighter than any other did. Flattening my back against the cold stone, I looked inside. Mary stomped about waving her arms in the air. Cocking my head to the side, I strained to hear what she said or whom she said it to. A man appeared from beyond the pane of glass; he wore black trousers, a dark green tunic, and had a mop of curls the hung to his shoulders. He was a good-looking man, but I'd never seen him before. He definitely wasn't a noble of the court. At least not of Cassius's court. I watched as Mary continued yelling at the man, he stood stone-faced while she let her rage fly. She stormed out of the room as he lowered himself into a bow. Turning quickly, I ran back toward Cassius's chambers and mine. I had to find him. I had to be sure he was safe.

My heels clicked on the stone floor as I ran to his door. I slammed my fists against the wood, my stomach churning at the thought something happened to him in the short time we were apart.

"Joselyn? What is the meaning of this? What's wrong?" he asked, as the door swung open.

"Are you okay? Has anyone been here?"

"No, what's going on?" He sat up in bed, watching me.

"Something is happening with Mary. I don't know what, but she's making me uncomfortable. She met with a man I'd never seen before and I don't like the looks of him."

"What are you saying?"

"Nothing, yet. I'm staying with you tonight in case he decides to pay you a visit."

He nodded and motioned for me to join him on the bed. Unstrapping the dagger, I placed it under the pillow I would be using.

"Andrew, please get Lady Joselyn a sleeping gown."

The man across the room nodded his head and produced a long, white shirt looking garment. Unlacing my bodice and removing my skirt, I slipped Cassius's clothing over my head. It was much softer than my own sleeping gowns and seemed to swallow me whole. Andrew pulled back the blankets for me to climb in next to the king

"This is highly inappropriate," I said

"Most of what we have been doing is," he replied

"I know, and this is the only way I can ensure you stay alive. I'm still uneasy with the strange man lurking about."

"I will send my guards out to search the castle."

Andrew bowed to us and retreated from the room obviously taking the clue to find the king's guards to do as he said.

"I'm not leaving your side. I trust no one to ensure your safety besides me."

"I understand." He lay back against the pillows, extending his arm out, inviting me to rest against his body.

I accepted the offer and wrapped an arm around his midsection, inhaling his spicy scent as I rested my head on his chest. I listened for any noise that should not be about. The crackling fire and roaring winds were all that echoed about the room. Within minutes, Cassius snored softly as I held vigil in his arms.

I suppose I can close my eyes for just a moment. The moment turned into most of the night.

I awoke to the sound of Cassius's door handle jiggling. I sat up watching as it creaked open, a shadow snuck in keeping as near the wall as it could.

He's here! Silently I slipped my hand under the pillow, grasping the handle of my blade never taking my eyes off the intruder.

He approached Cassius's side of the bed as silent as a nightmare. I pulled the knife out from under the pillow and rolled on top of the king as the assailant bore down with his own sharp instrument. It pierced my shoulder sending a shock of pain through my body. I let out a scream as he withdrew it from my soft flesh. I swung my arm around catching the man in his face. Jumping from the bed, I stood between the would-be killer and Cassius.

"Who are you, woman?" the killer asked.

"Someone who will not let you succeed." I lashed out and sliced the man across the torso.

He flinched back, grabbing at his chest as blood pooled to the surface. He swung wildly at me, slicing into my upper arm as I refused to move from the bedside.

"What is going on?" Cassius sat up and looked around wild-eyed.

"Your end, King Cassius!" the man shouted, attempting to get around me.

"Not while I'm around," I grunted, thrusting forward with all my might.

He sidestepped, pushing me to the ground. Kneeling on my back, he pressed a thumb into the bleeding wound on my shoulder. Searing pain shot through my entire body. My breath caught in my throat as blackness crept in.

Don't you dare pass out! I must protect Cassius! This man wants to kill him.

I didn't move. I waited until the stranger was satisfied that I was dead and climbed off my body. He hovered over the king as I stood. I turned and plunged the dagger into his back. He reeled about, his eyes wide with horror and pain.

"I told you nothing would happen to Cassius while I was here." Grabbing the man's own dagger, I shoved it into his heart.

"Guards!" Cassius bellowed from the bed.

Nobody came.

"Guards!" he shouted again.

Footsteps echoed from beyond the door as it swung open. "Your majesty!"

"Where have you been? Where is the captain? He was supposed to be outside the door!"

"The captain is dead sir, as is the man with him."

I sighed heavily. The stranger was an assassin and Princess Mary hired him.

"Dead? That is not possible."

"I'm sorry, sir."

Cassius shook his head. "Never mind that for now, remove this man's body and find out who he is and why he's here."

The guard bowed and barked orders to the other men with him. I stood there, covered in blood confused.

The king's own sister?

"Andrew, fetch Lady Joselyn a fresh gown and washing water. Perhaps a physician to sew up her wound."

The servant bowed and retreated from the room, obviously happy to leave the bloody mess.

"I know who is trying to kill you."

"Who?" Cassius asked.

"Your sister. It's Princess Mary."

He gasped and sat in stunned silence. I couldn'tblame him. How do I handle a royal trying to kill another royal?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35 0 11
After a brutal six-year war, the Kingdom of Gyeowon finally secures peace with their former adversary, the Kingdom of Yonsai. The triumphant return o...
568 13 55
In a world full of lies and secrets, Hilda, a princess, comes of age. Through the darkness of being told who she should marry, she falls in love for...
The Warrior of Avelyn By SAMA

Historical Fiction

12.5K 715 42
Her life ended with fire and began with ashes. After a heartbreaking loss; Clara trains to become a knight with the General's help. After years of fi...
57.8K 2.9K 82
Damsels aren't supposed to wield swords, especially ancient swords that will have the blood of thousands spilled across it. ✡✡✡✡✡ Deep in the mountai...