The Hunter and His Dragon

By pokemonshadowhunter

Magnus Bane grew up with the staunch belief that all dragons were wicked monsters. Like his father, he was kn... More

A Prophecy Comes
Magnus the Hunter
Alicante
Alec the Dragon
You Want Me To What!?
A Hunt's Discovery
A Convening of Friends
Forest Journey
Dragons find You, Not the Other Way Around
Little Humans mean no Harm
The Dragon's Head
Discussion and Travel
Star Flower Valley
Mother's Concern
Insults and Burns
Caves are Cozy
Morning
Michael and Mark
King Robert Lightwood
Magnus No!
Dreams of Glitter Drama
Speaking to the King
He Can Stay, For Now . . .
Jace and Clary
Simon and Isabelle
Suspicious Activity
Father Son Talk
Apology Accepted?
Princely Duty
Suitors, Suitors and More Suitors
An Old Memory
Closer
Devastation
A Plan of Action
I can Help
Stakeout
A Choice to be Made
A Fight Between Dragons
A Kiss so Lovely
Talk Talk Talk, Ponder some More
Interrogation and Treatment
Waking Up
The Plot Thickens
Malec in the Moonlight
Conversation Worth Having
A Ride in The Night Sky
Meanwhile . . .
"I Trust You"
The Story of Wood
Cave of Truth
Flight to Alicante
Full Moon Tavern
Discussion over Ale
Return
The Night Before
Meeting the King
The Sting of Betrayal
Hazy Fog Runaway
Be Prepared
GET OUT, The Past Sadness
Overcoming Tribulations
Attack on the Valley
Darkness in the Heart

In the Past Unbeknownst

258 18 18
By pokemonshadowhunter

A/N: Ittttttttt's flashback time! And, back to our regularly scheduled program right after that. Also, a little bit of abuse in the flashback, though it isn't overly graphic or anything, just thought I'd give everyone a warning in case they find that triggering for some reason.

And Jace is in the pic above. Who do y'all want to see next?

******

Years ago . . .

Two young dragons.

One was a shining gold, like a small sun on the earth's surface.

The other was a blanched white, his tail broken at the end from one too many beatings.

Both had been there for that, so much trauma shared between.

But it was better when they were together then when they were alone.

Because being alone with father was never good.

Because Father loved hurting, reveled in the pain crossing the faces of the two young dragonets whenever he beat them within an inch of their lives.

Though, all of that changed one day.

It had started off bad and became even worse.

The meeker one, the blanche dragonet cowered away from that voice.

Because they both knew it caused them pain.

"I-I'm s-s-sorry Dad. I—"

"DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE SORRY!" The father had roared.

The little golden dragon lowered his head to the ground in submission, shaking just as much as his brother. When this had first started, he had been defiant. But now, he knew better than to fight back.

What would happen if he did.

It really had been a bad day. A failed hunt did that. It always did that.

"O-okay." Golden eyes blinked sadly.

"Please don't hurt him." The white one whimpered.

And then that blazing gaze was on the other, squished between the rocks. Golden eyes could only watch as claws sank into a pale wing to drag the other out. The toss harshly at the wall made him wince. It was so akin to the last launch, though there was no sickening crack accompanying it this time. The bulky dragonet knew something was wrong with his father, knew it like he knew somehow, some way, this wasn't where he belonged. And yet there was no way out of here on his own.

Father had made sure of that.

The tunnel was so big, so far down.

No one would find them easily.

Gaining trust was the only chance.

But this didn't make it easier.

"Owww!" A small cry of pain.

Rushing over, the golden one crouched down, inspecting the pain riddling the white one's features. "Are you alright J?"

Rarely was he called by his real name, apparently he didn't like it.

"I-I think s-so."

"If only you had done well today, maybe your brother wouldn't have been hurt." Father sneered, stepping closer. The ground seemed to shake with the large dragon's steps, though that might've just been the imaginings of the two young dragonets.

Fear, tried and true nestled deep.

Trepidation filled the golden one's frame as he shivered. "I'll do better next time."

Truth be told there was no telling if that would be right.

That large head shook, disappointed. "Of all the dragons I had to be stuck with such a soft-hearted fool."

The golden one flinched.

But this was wear the other differed, broken tail raising. "Let me go out Father, I'll prove myself. I know how to kill. It'll be just like you showed me."

And this could be a problem.

In the future.

If they ever got that far.

Sometimes the golden one wished this suffering would end.

No one deserved a parent like this.

Father snorted. "Wouldn't that be a sight to see. Ugh, it's moments like these I wish I had your sister. She would've been better than the lot I have now."

Oh yes, the mysterious sister the two young males had never met.

Father spoke of her wistfully, but something told him the two had never met.

Because it seemed like Father ended up hating everything he was supposed to love.

No wonder Mother left him.

This crossed the mind of youth.

If this sister was alive then maybe she was somewhere better.

The golden dragonet hoped so.

Hoped that out there someone lived a better, happier life than him.

"No she wouldn't have. She would've abandoned you just like mother." The white one reasoned, little fangs sticking out of the corners of his mouth.

And then Father was snarling again. "NO SHE WOULDN'T HAVE YOU FOOL!"

Smack.

There went that little body again, flying straight into the wall. When it landed with yet another crack which haunted dreams the monstrous dragon was whirling on the golden one with lips peeled back with rage.

"You don't agree with him, do you?"

He shook his head. "N-n-no. B-but . . ."

"BUT WHAT?"

"I was just wondering . . ."

"Go on, spit it out."

And so he did.

"What was her name? What was mother's name?"

And the answer came simply, clipped short.

"Jocelyn."

****Alec's POV****

Alec quashed down any of the unease he felt as they stepped into the warlock's home. The small shack seemed atypical of a recluse man who had lived for hundreds of years, not much to the space beside the living room, bedroom and kitchenette. There was a little bathroom some where judging from the faint smell of soap coming from somewhere, but otherwise there was nothing to see, and nowhere to explore.

And no one to see us, which makes it the perfect place.

After Ragnor's admission back at the bar, Magnus had worked out that they all needed to speak somewhere private. The back room had been suggested, but was turned down before it took root. Apparently so close to listening ears could be dangerous.

So he tugged the old, rattling door shut as best he could before slinking over to the arm chair perpendicular to him, eyes not once leaving Ragnor. The warlock had been holding his gaze throughout their little trip. He seemed to be trying to get a read on Alec. He already knows more than I expected. But what does he want?

"While we usually talk pleasantries first, I think it'd be best to talk business now." Ragnor kept standing, letting Magnus take the remaining leather armchair. The living room might as well have been an office from how it was set up.

"Yes. And thank you for taking us to your side home instead of your main." Magnus told his friend.

Ragnor leaned against the wall, taking his eyes off of him for the first time since they left the Full Moon Tavern. "I figured going into the heart of the city would be too much trouble. Attract too much attention for you. People tend to ask questions when their prince goes missing, you know? I wonder if it's the same for dragons." A curious glance was sent Alec's way.

Startled, Alec slouched further in his seat. Does he know? How?

Magnus frowned, placing a calming hand on top of his. Reassuring warmth bled through those tan fingers. Alec breathed out through his nose as Magnus continued. "How did you know about Alec?"

"I'm a warlock Magnus. Before you're Father got on bad terms with them, Catarina and I interacted with dragons quite often. The younger ones may have forgotten, but all dragons hold themselves in a certain way. And if that hadn't been enough, the way Alec talks . . . it's far more regal than anything I've heard in the past few decades. Dragons are such remarkable creatures really. Good to see you're finally coming around to liking one . . . or is it more than liking at this point." Ragnor's smirk said it all, as did Magnus's reddened cheeks.

"U-Uhm . . ."

"Yes, it is more than liking. Magnus is my predestined." Alec explained softly. If this was a warlock —and Magnus's friend— then he surely could be trusted. The lack of a dark aura around this man too did him credit.

So he got to be trusted.

Omni trusted Warlocks too.

And so does Dad.

Like Magnus, his memories of the time dragons and warlocks were close was foggy, but he knew the old teachings would not lead him wrong. Other magical beings were friends to dragons. They all adhered to the code, the code that said magical beings would do each other no harm lest they were threatened or their lives were at stake. Neither of the stipulations were in play, so this was just fine.

"Alexander . . ." Magnus's voice was small, quiet.

"What? It's true." Alec shot back.

He could only be so patient.

The part of him that had been sad earlier fell back in the face of concern,

"Well yes, but . . . I wanted to tell him at my own pace."

"I know. But we don't exactly have time to mess around here, you know. Remember why we're here." Alec stressed his words, eyes pleading. Magnus had to know he had a point. There was no time to waste when the lives of others were at stake.

If this Ragnor was what Magnus thought him to be then he shouldn't mind.

So why is Magnus still worked up?

"Hah. I figured." Ragnor's response —with how confounding he'd already been— was hardly surprising to Alec. Warlocks always did know more than most other species. It was attributed to how long they lived, all the connections they shared.

"Wait, you did?" Magnus was stunned.

Guess he doesn't know his friend as well as he wished he did.

"Yes. I've known for some time too."

"B-but how?"

******

A/N: Mwahahaha cliffhanger. But eh, it's not that bad this time around. Clary and Jace will be making a reappearance soon and Malec will be Malec. Don't forget to vote and comment! Until next time!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.7K 1.4K 25
Alec Lightwood is 21 years old and has promptly been arrested for being complicit in a group assault on a older gentleman that tried to commit rape o...
162K 4.6K 28
"She put a binding rune on the door. I can't get it open." "I'd say she doesn't want to see you." #1 in "magnus" Andina Wayland has grown up with...
41.6K 794 16
___________________________ "Why are you here?" ". . . I don't know." ___________________________ [IN THE EDITING PROCESS] Echo Lightwood is a girl w...
20.9K 871 18
"Who could ever learn to love a beast?" --- Prince Magnus wasn't exactly grateful of the life that he lived. He was selfish and vain, unappreciative...