Chapter Thirty-One: James

She looks peaceful. She has her oxygen mask on, and is breathing better. Her hands by her aide laying face up. Limp, and lifeless. The man had shot her left lung, barely missing her heart. They said she's very lucky to be alive. Very lucky.
       They let me stay in the room with her. I was in a chair next to her bed. She looks calm, and undisturbed. In just wished I had gotten to her in time.
       I sent the kids back to get some rest. Grace was okay, just a little bruised. Connor had a pretty bad concussion, but they can't really do much about it, so they sent him home. Everyone else is going to be fine.
       The doctor said that Ellie's lungs could have filled with blood and prevented from breathing completely on the way to the, hospital thus making them have to fix that on the ambulance. But somehow they didn't. He said that it was miracle it didn't happen. Basically it's just a miracle she's alive. The doctor also said that she could wake up in a week, month, or tomorrow. He said it's too soon to tell.
Of course they give me the most uncomfortable chair possible. I'm not joking. It's crazy uncomfortable. They gave me a blanket because they knew I'd be staying with Ellie. I for sure plan on staying. I snuggled up in my blanket and drifted off to sleep.
       The morning sun made me squint. I looked over at Ellie, still breathing slowly with her eyes shut. The digital clock on the table next to Ellie's bed read 8:30. Most days that would be an incredible feat, but considering I went to sleep at four in the morning it's not very impressive.
The nurse walked into the room. "Good morning." She greeted me warmly. "Morning." I said with a nod. She does a few things before turning to me. "She's breathing much better today. She should wake up soon. Since she probably will want to see you when she wakes up, you might wanna stay close. Let us know if you see anything or anything changes." She tells me with a nod before walking out.
That sounds like good news to
me. Waking up soon, breathing better. Sounds good at least. Could be doctor code for something bad, but I'm pretty sure it's good.
Connor poked his head through the door while I was reading my book. Of course it had to be during the good part. "Can I come in?" He asked quietly. I nodded, putting down my book. He walked in and closed the door behind him. "How is she?" He asks me, still quietly. "Better. You don't need to whisper by the way." I tell him. He nodded. "Right." He said at a regular volume.
"Can I, uh... talk to her?" He asked me awkwardly. "You don't need my permission." I tell him. He nodded before saying, "Alone? Maybe?" He asked timidly. "No." I said with a straight face. His eyes widened at this. I laughed. "I'm joking! Go ahead." I tell him getting up to walk out of the room. Aw. Kids.
My baby is growing up so fast. Talking to boys! Well technically, because of the fact she's unconscious, it's not really her choice. Therefore, it doesn't count. At least I was there to witness it. I'm really witnessing it, I'm just listening through the crack in the door, but that's okay.
       "Ellie, you mean a lot to me. I'm not sure if you can hear me, it if you can't, that's okay. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you've got to wake up. I know you will wake up, but it's still scary. You're really important to all of us. Just know, we're all waiting for you." I hear Connor say. I poke my head into the room. "You guys are so cute!" He rolls his eyes at me and walks to the door to let me in. "I should get going. We have another teacher this time and she's brutal." I nod. "I'm going to be honest. I'm not that sorry. I'm enjoying my time off. Okay. Scram." I say with a smile. He nods and leaves.
       I sit back in my chair and turn to Ellie. "Well aren't you two the cutest." Of course, I get no response. "I'm glad you agree." No response. "Don't say anything if you think that later I should get myself a gluten free cookie." No response. "I think so too." I think this might be the best, new way of communicating. I wonder what kind of cookies they have. Choices. Lots of choices.
       The nurse has come in two times after Connor left. She says Ellie is getting better every time. Hi much better? I'm not sure. She doesn't tell me these things. Although better is better than nothing at all I suppose.
       So far the Ellie has agreed that my hair looks nice, that I'm super fit, and that she appreciates me. Again, because she's unconscious, it's not really fair for her. Even though it's fun, I shouldn't force her into into being nice to me. So I get comfortable in my chair and start to do some more boring work.