Chapter Thirty-Two: Ellie

My eyes fluttered open and I squinted as my eyes adjusted to the light. All the voices came flooding back, as well as a new aching pain. Everything hurts. As milliseconds go by, the pain gets worse. I hear footsteps walk over to me. I knew it was James.
       Much to my dismay, I turn my head to look at him. "You're awake!" He screamed into my ear. I winced at how loud he was. "Ow. Little quieter please?" He made an oh face and nodded. "Sorry. I got excited." I gave him a little smile. "I have to tell someone..." he said quietly before getting up and running out into the hall.
       A nurse walks back with him. "She's awake!" He said happily. I didn't know he could get louder. "How are you feeling?" The nurse asks me softly. Finally someone who isn't yelling. "Well I'm not dead." I say jokingly as I turn my head to look at her. She smiles at me. "Anything hurt?" She asks me. "Everything." I say bluntly. "Take a deep breath for me?" She asks. I breathe in and out like she said. "Pain?" "Not really." I tell her. She nods. "Let me know if anything changes." She said to me. Then she turned around and whispered something in his ear. He nodded as she walked out of the room.
       "How are you feeling?" "Fine." My eyes were closed and I was still laying on my back, with my hands on my stomach. I felt him sit next to me on my bed. "You sure?" "Yes." I tell him. "Connor came to see you yesterday." "That's nice." I say. "He said some nice things." "Cool." I say. "You know, I think I liked you when you were sleeping." I laugh a little, but then stop because it hurts. "Much appreciated." I say sarcastically.
       "I haven't asked yet. How long was I out?" I questioned. "Little over three days." He told me. "Did you stay here for three days?" I ask him shocked. "Of course." He said. "Why?" I asked confused. "I promised I would be here when you woke up." He said nonchalantly. Oh. That's nice. "Thank you." He gave me a nod. "It's really not a big deal." "Oh but it is. One time, I fell down the stairs, and had a major concussion. I was also unconscious. My dad tried to pay the nurse to take me off of all the stuff keeping me alive. You certainly are winning over him." I say giggling a little. "Oh. Uh... that's kind of depressing." I smile. "I know."
       "Did you sleep here?" I asked. James looked up from his tablet startled. "Yeah." He said. "Where?" I asked him. "Here." He said patting the chair he was sitting in. "Isn't that uncomfortable?" I point out. He nods. "But that's okay." He says before looking back down.
       After a while I fall sleep for a bit. I feel James' gaze on me. "Are you going to just stare at me?" I say without opening my eyes. "Sorry. Can I talk to you?" I open my eyes and turn my head to look at him. "I have to go back. So I have to leave you." He says. "Okay." I say. "Will you be okay?" He asks me. "Of course." I tell him. "But-." He starts but I cut him off. "You don't have to worry about me." He sighs. I struggle to sit up. He reaches to help me but I'm already up. "You shouldn't have done that." He tells me. "I haven't sat up straight in three days. Besides, it's just another reason why you shouldn't worry. I'll be fine." He sighs again and goes to get his things.
       "Are you sure you're going to be okay?" James asks me with his bag in hand. "I'll be fine. Don't worry." I told him reassuringly. He sighed. "Okay. But don't die when I'm gone. Okay?" "Okay." I said simply agreeing with him. He smiles. "I'll be back tomorrow. Is that okay?" He asks me. "If it makes you feel better, then yes." He rolls his eyes playfully. "Okay I've got to run, because Catherine's waiting for me, but I'll se you tomorrow?" He asked. I nodded. "Okay." He said. He leaned over and placed a kiss on the top of my head, and then left. I had a really gross garlic ice cream once. But that, just now, was by far, much grosser.

Author's Note: At the end, I just had to.