54

I feel the sweat running down my back, hear the thump of my heart rattle against my chest. My hands shake as I sign off on the statement for the investigators. Four hours of questioning, repeating myself, crying, allowing them to talk down to me about my relationship with Toby, I eventually ask to be excused, my lawyer agreeing as he locks his briefcase next to me.

Toby is now being charged with not one murder, but two. I disclosed the information of the whereabouts of the Ravenscraig worker and sent the officers to the lodge that was burned to a crisp, the body along with it. If it weren't for the worker's dental records, they'd never have been able to identify him. Justin is being charged with attempted murder against myself and my babies. But both of them are ghosts in the night, vanished from the streets, only spotted in a few areas over the past few weeks.

My car was found abandoned near the lodge, a trail of footprints was traced to a nearby motorway, where it ends. All of my wheels were punctured, my windows smashed, and my phone gone, along with my purse and any money I had.

For apparently being rich, Toby robbed me of everything. My bank was emptied, all my accounts at null. That's a separate issue that's being dealt with. A random man was seen at a cash register at the border of Scotland and England, lifting as much as possible from my bank. Justin a day later, maxing out my credit card from the same bank machine. I know they have all my pins and passwords; they are saved on my phone that Toby knows the password to.

I've not even bothered to get a new phone, I'm happy with being on my work one and having the people around me that I need.

Oh, and this is shitty for me to say, but I hope Toby enjoys watching all the sex videos, pictures, and explicit messages I kept from Ewan and I, the wanker.

After what he did, I hope it hurts to watch them, to read about the life Ewan and I had, something he will never have with me. Who tells their friend to stab the woman you apparently love? Attempt to kill your own children? No, Toby doesn't love me, I'm not sure he even knows what that word means.

Ewan offered to pay my half of the rent and to be honest, I couldn't refuse him. My parents would never help, so I wouldn't lower myself to even ask. He has been my saving grace, driving me to work when the police escorts forget, hiding me from news reporters, staying over when Gabriella has a late shift, and will chat on skype with me in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.

"We will be in contact with you, Doctor Miller," The investigator says, raising his eyebrows at me, folding up his paperwork. "We will have a patrol car outside your house, I know you get escorts to work and back, but we can't chance them coming after you, I believe Toby Mitchell will strike when we least expect him to."

I nod once, feeling the tingles run up my spine, my nerves are still shattered from the way they spoke to me, and I think I might burst out crying as soon as we walk out of this room. "Thank you," I reply, making my way out of the room, down the narrow hallway, and out of the police station on the busy main road.

"Oh, and congratulations on the news," my lawyer announces behind me, tilting his head down to my slight baby bump. "I'll let you know what happens next and just... be safe." He walks away, giving me a tight smile, mirroring my own.

I'm still a bit sore, but the doctors were happy to discharge me in the second week, giving me strict orders to rest but not to stay in bed. After plenty of relaxing, I wanted to get back to normality, and feel somewhat useful.

I see Ewan pull up in the carpark after ten minutes of waiting in the snow, and I feel all the butterflies replacing the twisting tension in my gut. It's ridiculous that I can even feel this way considering I've been with him every day for the last three weeks. The four of us have been kind of inseparable. Gabs, Ewan, Jason, and I all having a Harry Potter binge while the school is off for Christmas break and going to the Christmas market at Glasgow City Centre. The dogs have loved sleeping in my bed, curling up at my feet every night. I've told Gabriella to wait for the tree, it's only the tenth of December.