59

When we got the call that Kieran took a turn for the worse, I watched the light drain from Ewan's eyes. Hearing that his brother, the one he raised himself because his parents couldn't handle him, had tried to take his own life for the tenth time by attempting to drown himself, it completely tore him apart.

What made it even worse was that Kieran sat across from us, his eyes dark, sneering with absolute hatred. He told Ewan that he pitied him, that he was useless, and that Jason was doomed to have a father like him.

Ewan stayed completely still, his hand gripped mine under the table while Kieran continued his horrible comments, ignoring the psychiatrist next to him as if he wasn't there. I felt how fast his pulse raced against my palm and could see the tears brimming while his brother disregarded him like some piece of shit that he's struggling to scrub off the bottom of his shoe.

"Your little whore will realise how pathetic you are and leave you, too," he had said to him, which made Ewan eventually snap and leave the room.

I stared into those voided eyes; I held the attention of the other personality that was holding Kieran down with a mighty grip on his life. I told him that we are here, and always will be, knowing that the real Kieran would hear me and know.

He became wistful moments later.

I see that darkness looming in Toby's eyes right now, snarling at me from across the room while his mum tends to the pen lodged in his arm. I feel it, the demonic presence of his dark side that's filling all of my senses, like unpredictable waves surrounding him that are only looking to cause carnage. The evil wants to be known, to be feared, and since all I can think of is how we are all about to die, he's succeeding.

Each step he takes while he angrily paces makes me think of Kieran, how they both hold themselves in different ways when their alter ego pushes through. The way he twitches his neck to the side, blinks at a rapid speed, and ultimately looks emotionless, like a receptacle full of death and hatred, it all reminds me of Kieran.

Why did I not spot the shift in him, how his tone and stance changes? Why did I look past the sudden switch of emotions? I had noted the red flags months ago, but I disregarded each one because of my feelings for him, for the softer sides of him.

And now I'm sitting on a wooden chair in the corner of a bright room, my hands bound in front of me with a red cable tie. Toby had pushed me into the dog crate next to Gabs but took me out three times with no reason before sitting me here.

Every time his eyes land on mine, he clenches his fists and averts his drained gaze to the ground barely a second later. Every time Justin walks by me and intentionally kicks my chair to frighten me more, he glares at him then falters.

He's fighting himself.

The crates are large... for dogs. But for human beings? Tiny. Both Gabs and Kaleb have their knees to their chests, wincing in discomfort with black tape over their mouths to keep them quiet. Gabriella is whimpering for her life, her eyes begging me to run every time Toby and Justin turn their backs to us.

It's pointless. We are in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by woodlands. If I do manage to get away, they'll catch me.

Violetta huffs, breaking me from my blank stare at the white wall. She tosses down the bloody gauze from stitching up Toby. "I still think this is a bad idea. If we leave now, we can catch the next boat and be out of here. She..." Her eyes land on mine, strangely looking concerned. "She doesn't want you anymore. We are wasting time."

"Agreed," Justin says, shoving his hands in his pockets. "He doesn't listen."

Toby scoffs at them. "As soon as I get Aria back, she can decide if she wants to be with me. I'm not having that poisonous bitch keep her and my kids away from me."