32

Blocking Toby two nights ago did nothing to ease the annoying thoughts in my head. After asking him when our first kiss was, he rudely hung up on me. I just don't have time to deal with him, I need to focus.

So far, I've battled every hour not to call  Whiplash and ask what the fuck is wrong with him. But I refrain, keeping my attention on this presentation I have in a few hours. Staying up all night from nerves didn't help, making me currently look like a zombie wearing makeup.

"Thanks for this, I tried to swap my shift, but it was too late. She said no when I asked her to take him to school."

Ewan hands me Jason's school bag, leaning his elbows on the rolled-down window of my white Mercedes. I'd been ignoring him too, until he messaged and asked if I could drop Jason off because his mum decided to be a pain in the arse, again.

"It's okay. Do I need to pick him up too? I'll be finished before three anyway."

He shakes his head, eyes everywhere but me and I nod, turning my engine on, making him step back. "Thanks again," he says.

"Um, Ewan?" I call out as he turns back to his work building, the small metal container next to the construction site. He's wearing old clothes, rigger boots, and a streak of oil marks down the side of his face.

"Yeah?"

The sun shines in his eyes when he reaches my car, leaning down in my window once more, his forest greens have specks of hazel, rimmed with a darker shade of green, completely captivating me for a long second before I shake it off. "Gabriella is away, and she usually fixes it, but the washing machine is jammed again. Can you do it?"

"Of course, I'll come by after work."

I smile at him, the young reckless boy I grew up with is nowhere to be seen, replaced with a man, a new and improved Ewan. But that doesn't mean I forgive him or even want anything with him. I'd like to be friends, I enjoy being around him even if it's for the wrong reasons, especially when I feel a void caused by a certain idiot. "I'll maybe order food in."

"I don't want to overstep, Aria."

I huff, placing two hands on my steering wheel. "You aren't."

"But... Toby?"

My eyes momentarily leave his, and I look at my lap, chewing on my bottom lip. "I ended things with him, you were right, he's too intense to deal with." The look on his face makes me fight back a smile, like relief washing over him, but he quickly glances away.

"I'll just come to fix it and leave," he tells me, stepping back from the car. "I'll see you when I finish work."

"Right," I reply rather snappishly, nodding at him as I give my best fake smile. You messed with his head too many times, idiot.

"Good luck with your presentation, you'll smash it as always," he continues, and my eyes meet his for a split second.

I put my car into reverse and drive away, not daring to give Ewan one last look.

Jason is in the back, headphones on, listening to whatever music he has downloaded onto his dad's old phone. He smiles at me through the mirror and I return it, driving him to the school entrance, saying goodbye, and making my way to the Buchanan Street Concert hall for my presentation.

______________

Peeking through the curtains lined along the side of the huge stage, I pale, seeing every chair filled, crowds of professionals waiting with notepads and pens, ready to take notes on everything I have to say.