xii

2016. 12. 31.

what do you think will happen if sixteen chaotic boys are gathered to greet a new year? of course, a disaster.

good luck to them the next morning, they've got a lot of cleaning to do.

unlike on christmas where they only played some games, ate together and drank light alcoholic beverages, the group decided to be bolder. everyone was present that night so by yuta's lead, they planned to be wasted until everyone is lining up at the bathroom to throw up. they're so ready to die.

some were against it at first, let's name them taeyong, doyoung and kun. but they were outnumbered by the others who liked the idea (also because they have minor members) so they really couldn't do anything.

they were all at the living room, sat on a comfortable place of their own. half of them were on the floor because they stayed at two dorms (the upper and the lower floor) but they squeezed into one dorm to celebrate. mark was also on the floor, betwen winwin and xiaojun.

everyone had their eyes at the television, where home alone 2 was streaming at. they finished the first part already and the living room was already an eye sore. there are wrappers and bits of chips everywhere.

there was still about thirty minutes left for the movie when taeyong's alarm went off. ten minutes before 2017.

they paused the movie and started preparing the table. taeil set up their portable karaoke while the others cleaned lightly and brought the drinks and some food out. johnny also put the mini disco ball and suddenly their dorm looked like a club on itaewon.

they were busy doing this and that but mark was busy typing a message for renjun. three minutes before midnight. he was ready to send it but suddenly his phone rang.

mark panicked when renjun's name flashed on his screen. they never talked through call.

no one noticed that mark phone was ringing since it was loud so he took that chance to head back to his room.

he took a last look at his members first if someone saw him entering his room, when there's none, he closed the door.

he just failed to see donghyuck eyeing him from the side. the youngest put down the microphone he's holding and marched towards their shared room.

he was about to reach out for the knob when a voice spoke behind him, "donghyuck, the countdown will start soon."

"jaehyun hyung," donghyuck smiled at him. "mark hyung came inside and i'm just going to bring him back," he said. who is mark even talking to?

lately mark had been too busy on his phone, texting, he guessed. and now even a call? just what the hell is happening?

"he'll come out when he wants to. come on," jaehyun motioned the younger to follow him.

"but hyung—"

jaehyun's expression changed, his stare hardened, startling donghyuck for a second. "taeyong hyung is looking for you. just leave mark there."

ah, really. donghyuck sighed and nodded, "okay."

smiling at him (the duality), jaehyun pulled him back to the living room.

meanwhile inside the room, mark sat down his bed and answered the call, "renjun?"

"hello, hyung," renjun's voice was soft, almost careful.

"what's the matter?" mark leaned against his headboard and fidgeted his fingers. he was just struck that renjun called him.

actually, renjun is at their dorms. and his dormmates were all sleeping. renjun declined chenle's offer to celebrate with them again because he felt like a nuisance. it's their family's bonding time, he doesn't want to interfere.

but he also couldn't sleep like the others do. back in his hometown, they used to hold big events for new year. and being this quiet, renjun can't get used to it.

he felt lonely.

he felt like the four corners of his room was going to swallow him. he suddenly felt suffocated. he felt like crying. because he's alone.

and he couldn't even call his family because he's afraid he'll cry. and if that happens, he'll just worry them. he doesn't want that. he wants them to live each day thinking that he's fine and he's happy. that he's not missing them, and he's not crying every night, wishing they were there beside him. renjun wants to prove them that he's strong enough.

the only person he thought that moment was mark.

he hesitated at first because what if mark is celebrating with his members? but just that once, he decided to be shameless.

renjun hiccupped, suppressing a sob. "n-nothing. i just wanted to check if this is your number," he attempted to lie.

"silly. you've been texting me here the whole time," mark retorted. he already sensed that something is wrong. "renjun? hey, you know that you can tell anything to hyung, right?" he tried to encourage renjun into speaking up. he's sure it's a sob he heard just now.

"really, i'm fine. i'll hang up now, hyung."

no. renjun can't do it. renjun can't ruin a special day just because he's being emotional. he shouldn't even drag mark into this, at the first place.

"no, wait. just wait," mark stopped him.

renjun moved away his finger that was about to press the end button. "why?"

"five. four. three. two..." renjun only heard mark counting down.

renjun smiled to himself. how can someone not like mark? "one," the two chorused.

"happy new year, hyung."

"happy new year, renjun."

㊙️

last update for today!!! i hope u're enjoying so far🥺