prologue

2016. 07. 10.

at last, mark's dreams came true.

all his hard work payed off. all the sleepless nights, the countless practices until dawn, his teenage years that he sacrificed, the tears he shed when he felt like giving up– it was all worth it.

"good job, mark. you made us very proud."

but most of all, he didn't fail his family.

mark clumsily wiped the beads of tears trickling down his cheeks and smiled, "i told you, i'll debut."

one of the three biggest company on south korea, sm entertainment, debuted a boy group consisting a wide scope of talents and visuals from all over the world– nct. and mark lee is a part of it, he's now an nct member.

their debut stage just ended and mark never felt so happy even if he's bathing on his own sweat. when they finished their performance and got back to the dressing room, all of the members gathered and hugged as a group, cheering each other up. now they had free time to call their family and express how thrilled they are.

after a short tearful conversation between him and his parents and his older brother, mark decided to go back to their dressing room.

it's another step towards his limitless dreams. mark lee will continue to thrive his way to success with his group.

they only stayed for a couple of more minutes before going back to their car and heading back to the company building as the president was calling them in.

during the ride, the boys inside were all chirpy and the excitement didn't die down. they're still talking about how nervous they were, how happy they were. it was loud and youthful inside the car, a reminder to mark that he didn't make the wrong decisions of changing his dreams. it lead him to meeting his new brothers that will always be there for him.

their manager led their way inside the building. the newly debuted boys were starstruck when some reporters and countless fansites of every member were waiting outside for them.

although they wanted to drown at the momentarily attention that time, they have no time to waste. the bodyguards made a pathway for the boy group so they could safely pass by.

mark's eyes glistened at the thought. some people know them now. they're being recognized and it felt foreign and warm for him, and maybe to all the members too.

riding an elevator and getting off at the floor that they didn't recognized as the president's office's floor, their manager beats into their confusion, "there are new trainees that came in today. i was told to bring you to them and welcome them before meeting with the presi. give them lots of encouragement, okay?"

when the door of a practice room opened, there were new faces sitting down on the floor. they immediately stood up when the boy group entered the room.

all lined up, hands settled on their sides, the supposedly new trainees politely bowed and greeted them.

mark couldn't help but to smile. he used to be just like them when he first got into the company. shy, polite, bowing as low as he can to show respect. witnessing the new set of trainees, mark thought that he really made it that far.

there were a total of five trainees that mark presumed to be of the same age as him, if not, one or two years younger than him.

mark repeated the names he heard on his head. he wanted to remember them all and see who will stay until the end.

lee jeno. zhong chenle. na jaemin. park jisung.

and when the last one finally beamed his million dollar smile, looking all tiny in his oversized gray hoodie and black jogger pants, mark should've known he'd be in trouble because of that trainee.

"hello, nct sunbae! i've watched your debut stage earlier, and it's so cool! you all look professional already!"

his honey like voice. his charming smile. his adorable kitten paws whenever he wears big clothes. his dedication to reach for his dreams.

mark should've known better. mark should've avoided his gaze at all cost. mark should've never seen him more than just a labelmate.

"i'm from china and i'm sixteen years old. my name is huang renjun. i'll work hard so i could meet you on stage soon!"

mark knew it was wrong.

but on their shared sweet, little rendezvous, everything seemed right.

㊙️

^ that emoji means secret in japanese uwu

enjoy my 4th markren book, ig?