i

2016. 08. 05.

being a trainee is hard, but being an official idol is much harder.

it's been a month since nct debuted, and all their schedules were packed tightly. they don't even have the time to breathe and rest for five minutes. back to back music shows and variety shows that they needed to attend. it was already given, knowing that they're a one month old group.

the rookie group are now on their company building to practice because they'll be having their last promotion of their debut song the next day. it was passed five in the afternoon when they decided to take a break from the hours of dancing.

all of their legs gave up as the choreographer shouted a 'ten minutes break!'. mark laid down the floor, arms and legs spread in tiredness. he's sure that if he close his eyes that time, he'll drowse off.

he wanted to rest, at least with the time given to them, but donghyuck won't just let him. "for pete's sake, aren't you running out of energy?" he grunted to the younger and rolled over to get away from donghyuck who's trying to hug him.

"hyunggg, i need a hug!" donghyuck whined loudly.

"go to taeil hyung," mark shooed him away. he wanted peace for once.

yet donghyuck won't stop on pestering mark that the canadian gave up and heaved. "where are you going?" there was worriness on donghyuck's voice, afraid that he pissed off mark too much. the last time mark got annoyed with him, he planned to leave the company. donghyuck was so scared to death that time.

"i'll buy some drinks. do you guys want anything?" it was partly because he's thirsty and partly because he wanted to escape from the younger.

they all told mark their pick and thanked him in advance. donghyuck insisted to come with him but mark was quick to get out of their practice room. the nearest vending machine was at the end of the hallways so mark jogged towards it.

he was supposed to take out his coins from his pocket when he heard a familiar melody coming from the corner practice room, which is just beside the vending machine. he drew closer to the door, checking if the sound of fine piano chords was coming from it.

he leaned against the door and closed his eyes. it was one of mark's favorite songs to put life into the piano, but he can swear that whoever is playing it right now, he's a hundred times better than mark.

now that's the peace mark was asking for.

his body relaxed underneath the right presses of each keys. he even hummed along with it, enjoying the momentarily tranquility.

the song came to an end, and mark fluttered his eyes open. he turned around to go inside the room and see who just played, but the door opened by itself, showing him a chinese trainee.

"sunbae?"

"chenle, right?" mark smiled at him. he was serious when he said he'll take good care of the trainees because his seniors also looked after him. he even memorized their names.

the younger nodded with a smile. "what are you doing here? are your practice hours over?" he asked out of curiosity.

"a quick break," the canadian replied, then remembered what he's supposed to say. "right, you just played the piano? you're really good. i learned that chord ever since i was a kid but i can't even play like you," he generously complimented the younger. he was just amazed by his talents. he also heard chenle sing, and mark can already assure he'll make it big.

chenle wavered his hands in denial, "it wasn't me."

"hmm?" the canadian confusedly reacted.

instead of answering, chenle moved to the side to give mark more sight of who's inside the room besides him. his fellow chinese trainee in front of the piano, scanning the chord sheets to choose what he'd play next. he was so immersed to it that he didn't notice mark, until chenle called out for him, "renjun ge!"

upon hearing his name, renjun slowly lifted his gaze and met mark's. his lips automatically curved into a sweet smile when he realized it was his senior.

"mark hyung."

there's something in his smile that made mark's heart beat faster.

㊙️

have y'all noticed that in all of my markren books, renjun never called mark as mark hyung?? skakkaksza