"It's that they are dangerous." I continued. I didn't want to think of Evelyn that way...as dangerous. Though after what I saw back there at The Chamber, it was difficult to not fear her a bit.

"Dangerous, yes..." Theo paced around the beige room, unclasping his hands and fixing the strands of his dark black hair. Though Theo has aged many years, he managed to not grow a single grey hair. His rusic tone continued, "...but only if they are trained to be killers. That's why she needs to stay here where she's safe from that sort of exposure."

Since when did he care about Mind-wielders? Last I checked he wanted Inara's head on a stake for what she did to him. Again, I only knew that from stories. In most stories about Inara Kade, she was depicted as a monster, but in Theos, she grew into evil. She used to be good.

"Where Evelyn's safe?"

"If Detra gets a hold of her, we're done for. Our land will be destroyed, everyone you know will be dead. She will suffer an unresting amount of despair." He faced me, his single eye latching the effect of a thousand looks. "You've never seen what someone like her can do, but I have, and when a power like that gets into the wrong hands, it's lethal."

I had seen what she could do though. But was that only a touch of her full power?

Theo stopped his pacing and let out an exasperated breath, memories of his youth flowing through his head. I knew Inara was bad, but I never knew exactly the full story of what she did, only parts of it here and there. I've always meant to ask Theo, but bits of me didn't want to know. If I imagined what Inara did, I'd be afraid I'd see Evelyn in her place.

Theo broke the silence with a soft reminiscent sigh, an unnerving shake in his voice. "Beaux has sided with Detra."

"What?" my breath felt tugged out of my chest.

No. This can't be.

Beaux, one of the most powerful neighboring states, has sided with our biggest enemy. We could overthrow Detra alone, but not Beaux and Detra. Beaux was a huge trading hub, and an enormous state in the middle of the Confederation. The center state, they named it. The Confederation was made of five neighboring states, Frejren, Omanda, Beaux, Nessari and Detra. Frejren was seized by Detra and Omanda was seized by Beaux, leaving Nessari the only free state left. Beaux was home to the Baedium Citadel, which housed the High Ruler, and if the High Ruler was finally on Detras' side, there wasn't a chance of seeking freedom from the government. Beaux was known for their captivity of Immunes, using their powers for benefit...could their alliance be all for Evelyn?

"No...Beaux has always been rivals with Detra, even in the Frejren war they-"

"Things have changed. They have allied with Detra. I feel it's because they also want the girl."

My stomach curled at his words. Evelyn wasn't just wanted by Detra anymore, she was wanted by the most powerful state in the Confederation. If the High Ruler grasped her powers, chances of freedom would be lost. Would Beaux and Detra rule together? Unite their powers? Together, they could easily build an Empire. An Empire of imprisonment, slavery and control. I couldn't let that happen, not ever.

"If you knew Evelyn was a Kinesic, why did you let her go to the Chamber? This could have been avoided! We could have let them think she was still missing, or even dead! Why did you let her go!" My tone grew louder with my anger. No Dominic, why did you let her go?

"I can only sense so much Dominic. I knew you were going to go to the Chamber, but I didn't think for a second you would bring her along. If I would have known that, don't think I wouldn't have said something! It was unlike you to bring her along. I didn't expect that."