3- Matched

(⚠️TW SEXUAL HARASSMENT⚠️)

I soon arrived at the plaza...the place where I'd meet my match. The plaza was a large, high tech building, where government leaders would hold public meetings, give announcements and more. I was directed into a big white room where computer screens lined the giant white walls. Lines of people stood behind each computer. The computers are where you take your test so the system can pair you with someone. I prowled into the room and placed my feet behind a line of people. I stood behind a petite girl with a long blonde ponytail hanging down her back. I leaned towards her and asked, "Are you nervous?"

"of course not!" She swung her head around, " I'm excited! I know the system will give me the man of my dreams!" She talked as if she were a robot programmed to say great things about the system. It agitated me.

"well...what if your match isn't..."

"Isn't what?" She scolded in a sassy tone

"Isn't...you know...perfect" I said looking at my feet

"What?" She looked at me like I had 10 heads, "how can you say such a thing?"

"Just...I'm scared I won't like my match that's all." I fidgeted with my fingers

"are you doubting the program?" Her eyes widened. Like I had just told her I murdered someone and hide the body.

"I mean I just don't understand it thats all" I shrugged.

"You better keep it down!" she said worryingly, "if they hear you saying this stuff...they'll come arrest you! Me as well for discussing this with you. It's best if we don't speak." She whipped her ponytail around and faced her back toward me.

She was right. I can't say things like that, but I can't help it. I seem to be the only person who's mind is racing in circles. Who does no one else see how wrong this is? To have a computer choose who you spend the rest of your life with? I just couldn't understand it.

Before I knew it, it was my turn to find my match. I nervously stepped up to the computer and a white screen with the words "begin" inside a heart greeted me. It had me answer all these questions like what's my favorite food, what I do in my free time. Dumb shit. After a few minutes, Press to find your match popped up. The words screamed at me. I tapped the heart and a loading screen came up as I nervously waited. My heart was beating out of my chest, why won't it load any faster? Then... it popped up. I felt my heart fall to my feet as I starred at the name that appeared on the screen.

"no...oh no, no, no" I muttered under my breath.

"If it isn't Miss Evelyn Kane." muttered a deep voice that creeped behind my neck,"or should I say...Mrs. Holden?"

Grant Holden. My match. This cannot be happening. Grant is son to one of the most powerful men in Detra Gov. The only way you can be in Detra Gov, is if you're born into it, so that means Grant is very powerful as well, and he lets you know that. I've known Grant for a long time, we went to school together, and he was not someone I was very sound of. Grant is the most narcissistic person I've ever met. He's handsome, rich, selfish, power hungry, and finds a way to make sure he gets what he wants. Grant loves himself more than anything else. People basically bow down to him, because he could ruin their lives with a snap of his fingers. He uses his charm and power for attention, and treats woman like toys. All the money he has he wasted on himself. Riches and power is more important to him than anything else. I've never understood why people fall to his knees. Grants evil...he's part of the reason I despise Detra Gov. All the officials are like that...snobby, rich, powerful, selfish...and now I'm going to be married to one.

"Grant!" I said shocked

"After all those years of trying to get your attention in school...who knew we would match!" He lifted his eyebrow and smirked. Grant has always had a thing for me, but I always would turn him down. It ate him alive knowing that there was a girl out there who didn't want to be with him. Any girl with a right mind shouldn't want to be with him! But now...now I'm giving him what he wants, and that's what bothered me the most.