20- The Twins

Celeste
12 years ago

"Kyler, be quiet! They're gonna hear us!"

"Sorry Cel." Kyler replied, "You know I talk a lot when I'm nervous!"

"Well for once can you just shut up!" My whisper grew louder as I demanded in his face

" You're the one who's yelling, not me!" He fired back at me

"I'm not yelling!"

"Yes you are!"

"No I'm not, I'm- humph" Kyler shoved his hand on top of my mouth, blocking my words, his eyes widening as he heard the noises nearing us in the distance,   "Shh..." He said, " I hear them."

As much as I wanted to shove Kylers hand off my face, I didn't move a muscle. My body froze with fear as soon as I heard the footsteps of troopers trailing in the distance.

I lowered my head, rustling under the pile of plastic cups and cans that sat in the trash underneath the shadows of the alleyway, attempting to hide myself better. "Stop moving so much!" Kyler scolded at me.

"Sorry..." my voice softened as my head sunk deeper. It wasn't ideal to be hiding from troopers under a pile of trash in a dark alley...but when you have nowhere else to go, your hiding spaces become limited.

" Have you seen them anywhere?"  A dark voice echoed on in the distance

"Who?" Replied a woman who must have been walking on the streets.

"The twins."

"Oh, I think I saw them run down that way!" She pointed her finger down the alley in our direction

"Over here!"A sea of troopers entered the abandoned shadows

Kyler and I froze...trying to hold our breaths as long as we could so the troopers didn't hear a single sound.

Running from troopers was a routine we were used to...but they've never been this close to catching us before.

We've done this most of our lives...moving from street to street in a constant chase with Detra troopers. For the past five years, me and Ky have been on our own. Sleeping nights in the alleys of the city, and scraping up as much food off the streets we could find.  It's a struggle...but we've gotten used to it. Besides, we'd rather be living off the streets than locked in the Chamber.

The footsteps of troopers grew nearer, Kyler and I bracing ourselves under the pile of plastic cans. I tried my hardest not to move an inch..but I felt like everytime my chest rose for a breath, rustling could be heard from a mile away.

My heart raced rapidly, feeling the sense in my whole body and being the only thing my brain could listen to. I was so afraid...they couldn't catch us...not now.

A herd of troopers entered the alleyway, shining their bright flashlights under each pile of trash and through every crack of the buildings between us.

"We know you're here! Come out now and no one gets hurt." A dark voice bounced off the narrow walls, as flashlight gleams barley brushed over my face.

The clicking of the troopers' feet echoed down the alley, growing closer and closer with every step they took. And with each step I closed my eyes tighter, hoping somehow they would just go away. Kyler reached down and grabbed my hand, squeezing it in his grip. I clenched on to his fingers, feeling a bit of comfort in the warmth of his skin. Though it may come across as we fight a lot, we were very close. Ky and I have stuck together our whole lives, I don't know what we'd do without each other...what I feared the most was the troopers separating us.