16-Arrows

EVELYN

"So let me get this straight...Dominic told you about her?" Celeste raised her eyebrow as she fixed her hair in my mirror.

"yup." I looked down as I sat quietly on my bed.

Celeste stayed at my place that night. As soon as we arrived at my dorm, Celeste plopped on the couch and fell right to sleep. I didn't blame her though...she had a lot to drink and I'm sure her head was spinning worse than mine. I was surprised at how sober she seemed when she came out onto the balcony.

The balcony. I didn't want to be reminded of what happened out there. For once I felt like I was finally understanding Dominic...that's he was trusting me. then, out of nowhere regretted everything just like that. Not to mention the way he talked about that girl...Verena. It made me angry and I didn't know why. I really didn't think Dominic Jones had any real emotions, but after hearing him talk about her...I could tell that he was hurting.

I couldn't stop thinking about what happened. It's like the moments I was out on the balcony replayed over and over in my head. Especially what happened with Declan. It was truly something I never expected of him. I thought for once, someone saw something more in me....I thought he respected me at least. I guess I was wrong. From my experience I've learned that all men want one thing...well most I guess...Dominic wasn't that way with me, though he still hated me, and Cassian wasn't interested in me that way.

I just hated letting Dominic think that I needed him to protect me....but if he wasn't there, in the woods or on the balcony...I'm afraid to think of what might have happened. I hated that I couldn't get him to realize I'm not like Verena, but what I hated the most was that  I couldn't get him out of my head.

"I can't believe he told you that!"Celeste gasped "He hates talking about her...he never mentions her to anyone other than me."

"I can't believe he told me too." I shook my head

"You know what that means?"

"What?" I raised my eyebrow

"He trusts you."

"Ya right." I rolled my eyes "I'm the last person he would trust."

"If you say so." Celeste shrugged

I did think he was finally starting to trust me. For once he was opening up...letting his emotions spill instead of keeping them locked in like he always had. But if he truly trusted me...he would believe me when I'd say I'm not like her. Verena. The thought of that girl just made my mind fill with my anger and curiosity. Anger, because of how she betrayed the Rogues. Curiosity because I couldn't help myself from wondering the obvious. What she looked like, what she acted like. What I wondered the most though, was what made her so special. What was it about her that was so hypotonic she could deceive someone like Dominic. He didn't seem like someone who would let his guard down so easily...I couldn't understand how she messed with his head.

"You up for some training today Ev?" Celeste looked at me, as I sat up from my bed, stretching my arms with a yawn.

"I guess so." I rubbed my eyes and walked towards the mirror. My cheek was still lined with the bruise that Valerie gave me, and my golden eyes looked tired and beat.

I didn't mind the bags under my eyes though. Back in Detra, everyone seemed to sleep a full eight hours every night, meanwhile, with my crazy thoughts keeping me up all night, I only slept around three or four. My body got used to it though...I didn't need much sleep to feel awake. Everyone thought the bags under my eyes were just a part of my skin tone...Gemma used to tell me I looked like a walking corpse. I liked them though...they made me  seem more human.