Chapter 166: Summit

Start from the beginning

"These villages, how far are they from us?" Kashi asked.

"The closest is about an hour's ride from here," Darian stated as he marked the earth with a few dots to represent the villages and their distance from each other.

Kashi's brow rose as an intrigued glint flashed in his eyes. "Is that what I think it is?"

"Yes," Darian confirmed as he connected the dots with a line. "It's a spear."

Kashi's eyes lit up as he studied the strange formation. There were six centaur villages in Kirkcour Woods. Of the six, three made up the spear's 'shaft' with Lymar positioned at the spear's butt. The final three formed a rough triangle, which, when connected to the village furthest on the spear's shaft, formed a diamond-like shape that was precisely the spear tip.

Kashi rubbed his chin as an amused glint shone in his eyes. Could this be the reason the centaurs were unwilling to leave this place? Could there be a secret related to this formation?

Kashi thought about it, then shrugged it off. No use wondering. Time would eventually tell. More importantly, there was something strange about this image. "Didn't your father say four villages were under attack? Including this village, that should make five. I count six here."

Darian's eyes grew heavy as he drew an X on the first village. "The Bedu clan was wiped out a week ago, and its shaman captured."

"There are six shamans?" Kashi questioned with a furrowed brow. "This ritual, are you sure it works with five shamans?"

"It will work," Darian confirmed with a nod. "However, the effects will not be as good as when six shamans carry it out."

"I see," Kashi muttered as the wheels in his head began to spin. "So, that's how it is."

"Kashi-dono?" Darian worried that Kashi would be displeased and hurried to explain. "The chief meant no harm. He did not want you to put himself in unnecessary danger."

"It's fine," Kashi placated with a smile. "I do understand his reasoning. It's just unfortunate that I will have to disappoint him. I am precisely the kind of person who seeks out unnecessary danger."

Kashi then asked as he recalled a troublesome point. "Are you certain the shaman was captured and not killed, and do you have any way of knowing if he's still alive?"

"Yes, he is alive," Darian confidently stated with a firm nod. "I saw him at the enemy's camp. Some soldiers were torturing him for information, but he would not budge."

"Torture, huh, such an ineffective method," Kashi rebuked. He then added with a laugh. "Alright, then. Let's liberate those villages first. We'll figure out how to rescue the shaman later."

Darian looked at the daeben with deep respect in his eyes. He knew Kashi primarily wanted to help his horse. Kashi should have considered the missing shaman as a significant loose edge. Instead, the daeben had pushed that to the back of his mind in favor of rescuing the trapped villagers. Darian doubted he would ever be able to repay the mounting debts.

"Yes, Kashi-dono." Darian charged into the woods with Kashi's entourage by his side, while the village's warriors brought up the rear. The thundering of hooves boomed through the forest as the company sped toward the first village.

This was bound to be the most taxing hour of their lives.