Chapter 111: Chu Ling's Bomb

The hall's atmosphere dropped several degrees as the people seated gaped at the newly arrived Princess Chu Ling with mixtures of fear, shock, and suppressed anger. The Serian King's eyes revealed traces of resignation as he admonished his daughter. "Ling-er! Mind your manners! You are in the presence of a king!"

Chu Ling's mocking smirk never left her face as she replied, "C'mon dad, Such a great and awesome King shouldn't mind something of this level, right?"

"No, it's fine," Paris replied with a cocky smirk of his own before King Chu could intervene. "She is absolutely right." A complacent grin spread across his face, his gaze carrying a tinge of mischief. "A grrrreat and awe-inspiring king such as myself would never mind the ramblings of an immature child."

Chu Ling's eyes flashed bloody murder. "Who're you calling a child!?"

"Ah, you're right. My apologies," Paris' gentle voice seemed to soothe its way into the hearts of those who heard it. "The little bud has bloomed into a magnificent fire lotus."

Chu Ling stuttered, her cheeks burning as bright as her hair. The fire lotus was the emblem of the Serian Royal Family. It was rumored that the last plant to survive on the Serian soil was the fire lotus. Some even claimed it was the one plant that could grow in the lands.

Unfortunately, the flower had long since gone extinct, so no one had any way of confirming the rumor. Still, though, the Serian Royal Family had the fire lotus added to the national flag to inspire its people to persevere in the harshest of conditions like the fabled lotus.

Chu Long, this powerful Princess, was feared in the army and badlands for her aggressive nature, but before Paris' little compliment, she could only pout with a ferocious glare as her cheeks visibly reddened. Snorting, she mumbled something about an incorrigible prince then sat down next to her sister.

King Chu took full advantage of the brief lull to signal a servant. A second later, maids filed into the hall, with several trays in tow. They lined them neatly on the table, then helped the guests fill their bowls with soup. King Chu noticed Ms. Lightwood's curious gaze. He coughed lightly as he embarrassingly explained, "This is our seaweed soup, the only thing aside from meat that we eat in this country. However, I promise you would not have tasted anything like this before."

Ms. Lightwood gracefully nodded then took a light sip. Her eyes brightened as a small smile suffused her features. "Indeed, I daresay I cannot find a better seaweed soup in all of Destia. I must congratulate the chef."

"Hehe," King Chu lightly laughed, his eyes betraying the relief he felt. It seemed while this woman was harsh, she was not wholly unreasonable. Some other negotiators would not have missed the chance to belittle him at this point. "I will be sure to send your regards."

Ms. Lightwood nodded as she continued drinking her soup. She gazed across the table, her interest piqued by the heavily contrasting sisters.

The eldest, Chu Ming, maintained a grace that would likely put the Queen of England to shame. She methodically raised the spoon to her lips, each movement refined to perfection, yet somehow carrying a certain charm.

Ms. Lightwood nodded, understanding why she would be the one offered up in marriage. On the other hand...

Princess(?) Chu Ling directly forwent the spoon, choosing to lift the bowl and drink from it like a soldier or commoner. Astonishingly, the action was so natural that the words 'disgusting' or 'how, unlike a princess' did not come to mind.

Instead, Ms. Lightwood could only see her actions as 'as expected.' Maybe it was from the way Chu Ling carried herself, but most people never expressed her as barbaric. Instead, they used the terms 'wild,' 'aggressive,' and 'free-spirited' which could all be good or bad things depending on who looked.