Chapter 64: Negotiations Successful

2 Days Earlier,

Rine's Bar,

Meilfour.

27th Mazem 1092.

The sun had fallen, and weary citizens of Meilflour flocked to the bar to drown their sorrows in hard, bitter, alcohol. A golden chesch sat at the counter, listening to the conversations and watching them out the corners of his eyes.

Miote took a sip from the mug he held in his hand. He scrunched his nose and smacked his lips at the horrible taste. The foul drink almost made him miss the stale bread he ate at level 1. Nothing he could do about it, though. It was either that or suffer adverse stat effects from hunger. Though the drink might kill him regardless.

Miote twirled the glass, idly watching the murky liquid. Bang! Suddenly, a man burst into the bar screaming at the top of his lungs. In his panic, Miote almost dropped his drink.

The man grabbed a nearby mug and downed its contents in a jiff as he tried to collect his thoughts.

"Spit it out, man! What's the matter?" a wisben shouted, having lost his patience.

The messenger coughed and panted as he managed to squeeze out."Rhi- ha- Rhinos! War Rhinos! The Order's coming!"

Whoosh.

The bar was deserted in mere seconds.

Miote marveled at the organized way in which the residents panicked. Within mere minutes, they had all returned to their respective homes and locked their doors and windows. It was like a scene from old wild west movies. He could swear he even saw a bramble branch roll past.

Miote downed the contents of his mug in one swift gulp. He paid the barkeep and made his way to the door.

"I wouldn't do that," the barkeep advised. "You seem like a nice quiet guy. You don't want to get caught up with the Order."

"Thanks for the advice," Miote said. "But why is it only your establishment is still open?"

"Soldiers need a place to stock up on food and water. Unfortunately, I'm the only functioning bar in this town. If I close, the entire town would be in trouble."

"Is that so?" Miote flashed an appreciative smile. "Well then, I'd like to see these Order members for myself."

"Your funeral."

"Not today," the merchant said as he placed two silver coins on the counter. He exited the bar, intrigued by what could cause so much fear.

"Finally!" Hektor jumped off the mount and stretched, clearly relieved the journey had come to an end

"Finally!" Hektor jumped off the mount and stretched, clearly relieved the journey had come to an end. "Couldn't feel my ass for a while there."

Kira swiped at her companion, and he shot up, holding his face in pain.

Kashi massaged his face as he glared at her. "Can't you be cuter and wake me with a lick or something?"

"In your dreams," she rebuked as she jumped down from the rhino.