Chapter 146: First Blood

Three Years Later,

Combat Suit Test Facility.

Three years had passed since the children were injected with the Rebirth virus. The virus's effects proved to be a resounding success, exponentially increasing the children's physiological and cognitive abilities. Owing to the success, the scientists, after a year passed, swiftly moved into Phase 2, designing a range of metallic armors for the children to operate.

The new machines needed a safe, testing location without fear of damaging the surroundings. This led to building a new, stadium shaped facility with a flat, round surface area double the size of a regular football field. The grounds were further rigged such that obstacles slid out of the land, forming whatever shapes they wanted. Furthermore, looking at the field through special goggles or glasses allowed them to simulate entire ecosystems for potential matches.

It took just over a year to complete the building. The children, wearing their new humanoid suits, fought in an open free-for-all on the building's launch day. It had to be said that of all the children, Henri showed the most remarkable improvement. Having been released from the shackles of a bad heart by the virus, her superior physique began to shine through, thoroughly trumping over the rest of the children—save one.

The ground was currently devoid of obstacles, with only two metallic, humanoid robots battling it out at the center. The two slightly bulky robots traded blow for blow, savagely tearing out bolts and fluid from each other without care for the consequences. On the ground around the robots were the remains of what used to be external weapon systems, forcing the two into the current terrible melee.

Eventually, one of the robots seized an opportunity when its opponent's arm locked as a result of a damaged joint. It drove a sharp uppercut. Its fist tore through the opponent's jaw and burst out its skull. The robot sharply retreated as the resulting sparks ignited some liquid.

Boom!
The robot came to a halt as the opponent's head exploded, sending dangerous shrapnel flying. Luckily, the robot had given enough distance such that even those that managed to reach it could only bounce off its tough exterior.

The opposite robot finally dropped to the ground, having lost its vital functions, allowing the victorious one to relax.

Pshh~

The front of the robot suddenly folded backward, such that its components slid into its back and exposed its interior, revealing a young man. The teenager stepped out of the robot and swallowed a deep mouthful of air. He wiped the sweat off his forehead, then ran his hand through his short silver hair.

Taiga, who had just enjoyed the first of his rapid growth spurts, was now 145cm tall, with a lean, muscular physique that shone through the tight spandex they were forced to wear during training. A pair of sharp yellow eyes swiveled to the left to see an approaching group of scientists.

Taiga frowned a little as he spotted a familiar snake-eyed asshole leading the group. Over the past years, if there was one person he did not want to meet the most, it would be this snake-eyed monster. The man was never satisfied, always looking to push tests past reasonable boundaries, often putting the children's lives at risk.

Luckily, no one had died yet. But honestly, it was beginning to feel like it was only a matter of time.

The only reason Taiga had not exploded was that with Henri's current strength, he had nothing to fear.

"Saika-sensei," Taiga curtly greeted once the man was within arm's reach.

"Taiga-kun," Saika reciprocated, though with a fanatic grin attacked. The snake-eyes gleamed with excited sharpness as he glanced at the fallen robot. "Finally, you've proven you can control more than one suit at the same time. To be able to split your attention between two bodies... How did it feel?"