Chapter 85: Deep Within

???

Kashi's measured gaze regarded the flaming figure with interest. "If I may be so bold as to inquire your name?"

The figure pulsed as if considering the question. "Yes," it decided. "I suppose it would be difficult to converse with someone whose name you do not know." It continued as Kashi nodded, "I am called Ruse, Primate of Merriheim. You have intruded rather rudely into my domain. Repercussions for your ignorance will come soon enough. But first, this claim you have. Is it true?"

"My Lord!" Froy interjected. "Surely you do not take this heathen's words to hea—"

"It is," Kashi confirmed.

"Shu—"

"Froy!" The flames incensed in tandem with the primate's rapid rebuke. They relaxed soon after. "Do you question me!? IN front of a prisoner no less!?"

Kashi glanced at Froy and shrugged. He said nothing, but his mocking eyes held clear meaning. Failure, man. Yous a failure.

Froy struggled to maintain his emotions in check. He glanced wistfully at the hammer that lay at the dwarf's feet. That seemed to calm him down some. He turned to the primate and bowed, remorseful. "My apologies, prime. It would seem I require more training."

"See that you get it," advised Ruse. He returned his attention to the daeben. "My subordinate does have a point, misguided as he is. While I do believe your claim, could you give us an example of such information you hold? To appease those," he glanced at Froy, tone bitter as he finished, "who would doubt my judgment."

Kashi closed his eyes in thought. A minute later, he opened them, having reached a decision. "Fine, I suppose I too am in the mood for a little story-telling. Let's see what would be the best part. Ah, how about the moment he finally acquired the ability to reach for the gods themselves."

"Every one of our members, down to the cleaners, know the story behind the calamity."

Kashi smiled. "Then, I suppose they also know he was originally a Summoned?" Froy and Nadir's confused gazes answered that question. "And that like all Summoned, he suffered under a limiter? Do they also know of how he finally re—"

"Enough." It might have been Kashi's imagination, but the flames seemed to be smiling. "You just confirmed beyond a doubt your knowledge of our god." The flames pulsed as if in laughter. "Rejoice daeben; you get your wish. We will extend your life until we extract every last piece of knowledge from you." Kashi made to say something, but Ruse continued, "Do not attempt to return to your world. If you are ever found out of your body, we will destroy it. It's been a week since your capture. After observing your fellow Summoned, I'd say that gives us four weeks to collect all we need. Not a lot of time, but we'll take what we can get before you warn your guild members."

"So you figured me out," Kashi admitted with a short laugh. "Well then, you have four weeks to torture and gain your information, while I have four weeks to escape and slaughter all your men." Red eyes gleamed above a sinister grin. "May the best man win."

"Oh, this won't be a contest," Nadir promised as he cracked his knuckles. The flames snuffed out with a rush of laughter as his fist connected with Kashi's face.

 The flames snuffed out with a rush of laughter as his fist connected with Kashi's face