Chapter 31: Scroll no Peeking

Hamako's P.O.V

I was sitting against a tree, resting my eyes for a little while, eating the fish that we cooked on the fire once Naruto and Sasuke came back with the fish.

I didn't want to sit next to them because I needed quiet time. I just couldn't stop thinking that Orochimaru sensei was right. Maybe this place wasn't the home I was looking for.

'Maybe I talk to Haku. Maybe he can help me figure things out.

I wasn't paying attention to the three as they talked. I just knew that they were talking about the scrolls. When Sasuke suddenly stood up and with to get some water.

I stared at my two teammates that Sasuke left me with after hearing them making so much noise. Then saw Naruto dumping scrolls out of his ninja pouch.

'What are they do now with all those scrolls. Whatever they are doing, it is probably something stupid.'

"What is that knucklehead doing because it's probably his stupid idea," I muttered as I saw him talking with Sakura.

**

Third person's P.O.V

Hamako narrowed her eyes as she watched Naruto reach out to open the Earth Scroll.

'Those  idiots will make us lose this exam if they open that scroll.' Hamako thought, standing up and about to walk over to them.  Then she suddenly saw a flash of white and saw Kabuto appear, grabbing onto Naruto's hand.

'What is Kabuto doing here?' She thought, looking over at Kabuto.

"I wouldn't do that if I was you," Kabuto said to Naruto.

Hamako turned to see that Sasuke had come back from getting water, and he rushed toward us, ready to attack Kabuto.

"Relax, I'm not here to fight you guys," Kabuto said, holding up his hands.

**

"I can't believe you guys!" Sasuke said after hearing Naruto and Sakura almost open the scroll.

"Sorry, Sasuke," Naruto and Sakura said, hanging their heads in shame.

"You are both idiots," Hamako said, rolling her eyes.

'Suprise, she hasn't killed her teammates. She doesn't seem like she likes them very much. She looks very annoyed.' Kabuto thought, looking at Hamako.

"That was close. Those who ignore the rules are forced into the situation of having to retire. Some sort of Hyponotsim Justu was set up to get into the eyes of those who look at the scroll along the way. That knocks out the person, and by the time they wake up, the exam is over," Kabuto said.

"Kabuto, right?" Sasuke said. "What are you doing hanging around here all by yourself?"

"Don't worry, I'm not after your hearth scroll," Kabuto said.

"I didn't think so," Hamako said. "If you were, you could have taken it from Naruto just now. So you're after a Heaven scroll also?"

"No," Kabuto replied. "I already have them both." He showed them the two scrolls before putting them back into his pouch. "I had run of luck. See, I was just on my way to the tower to wait for my teammates to show up. So if you excuse me..."

"Wait!" Sasuke said when Kabuto started to walk away. Kabuto stopped and looked over his shoulder. "I fight you for it!"

"You fight me for it?" Kabuto asked.

Hamako stared at Sasuke, wondering if he really just said that. At the same time, Naruto and Sakura told him to stop. But Kabuto found it reasonable. "Are you serious?"

"Perfectly. Sorry, but we don't have time to play nice," Sasuke said.

"Hey, Sasuke! Kabuto saved us!" Naruto cut in. Sakura nodded in agreement, pitching in, "Naruto got a point. We don't want to be ungrateful or anything."

"Shut up," Sasuke told them. "It can't be helped. It either him or else. Out here, it is all about surviving and winning. Nothing else matters.

"Hmm..."  Kabuto said. "Your lying."

"He is?" Naruto asked.

"Come on, admit it for all your tough talk. Your heart really isn't in it," Kabuto said. "If it was true, if winning was really th only thing that mattered to you. Why opening challenge me to a fight? Why announce it and put me on my guard. Why not just jump me when my back is turned? After All,  that's what a ninja would do."

"That pretty deep," Naruto said.

"It's not deep. It's just the truth, knucklehead," Hamako said, rolling her eyes.

"It's okay, actually. I admire you for it," Kabuto said. They looked over at him. "So I shall show you the path you should follow. However, let's talk as we move. The smell of that cooking fire will draw every wild beast in the forest, and not only animals but the competition too."

Hamako closed her eyes and sense of anyone that might be nearby, and then faced one of the trees where she found Charka's signature hiding which meant Kabuto was right. Someone had been watching. The tree rustled behind them, telling the enemy was fleeing.

Hamako let out a sigh.

'Not only did two of my teammates try to open the scroll. Now I'm stuck with two boys I might have feelings for. At least Kabuto doesn't seem too bad. Still, I just hope we get out of here soon. I can only stand my team for so long. They're just so annoying sometimes.' Hamako thought, heading off with her team to the tower to get the last scroll they needed.

💛💛💛

Hey lovely readers!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Don't hesitate to let me know what you think of this story.

Also, don't forget to vote and comment.

A/N: I think I will skip the part of Team seven fighting for the scroll and just have the next chapter be the start of the preliminary rounds.

Q: What was your favorite part of this chapter?

Q: When do you hope to see Hamako finally use  Zabuza's sword?

Q: Who do you think Hamako will fight in the preliminary rounds?

Thanks for reading!

Word Count: 999

Edited: 6/18/22