Chapter 15: Change of Fate

Third person's P.O.V

Hamako felt the air around her start to feel dark and sinister. A huge shockwave was emanating from within the dome. Looking at Naruto, she realized that his chakra had turned orange, and was even forming outside of his body in the shape of a fox head.

"What in the world," Hamako said, shocked.

Naruto roared as the senbon that were stuck in him flew back out, and his wounds began to heal rapidly. Hamako was shocked to see his blue eyes turn red, his teeth sharpened to points, and the whisker-like marks on his cheeks widen and thicken.

Haku tried to impale him with more senbon, but with the Nine-Tail's chakra, Naruto's speed and reflexes were increased tenfold, and he could dodge quickly. He charged at the nearest ice mirror and punched, the ice breaking and Haku's form flying helplessly through the air.

Naruto wasn't stopping with simply ending Haku's jutsu, though, instead of charging over to where the boy now was, trying to get to his feet. Before he could land the next powerful punch, though, he stopped. Naruto's fist came to a rest just inches from Haku's face. His chakra faded from orange back to his ordinary blue, as did his physical appearance.

Haku's mask had fallen apart from Naruto's initial blow, revealing the face beneath.

"That guy in the woods, that was you?" Naruto asked with wide eyes.

"You know him?" Hamako asked.

Now that Hamako could see his face, she couldn't help but gasp. There was so much sadness in Haku's eyes. It reminds her of herself before meeting Orochimaru, the first person to ever believe in her potential as a shinobi. At the same time, Zabuza was always hard on her and calling her a quitter.

'That's why he seems so familiar. He was remaining me as myself.' Hamako thought, panting, tired from using so much of her chakra and water.

"Why do you not strike me down? Didn't you just vow to avenge your friend's death?" Haku asked.

Hamako looked back at Sasuke's lifeless body then back at Haku, confused. 

'If he didn't want to kill us, then why did he kill Sasuke  unless it like Zabuza.'Hamako thought.

Naruto growled and threw a punch, but Hamako caught his wrist, stopping him.

"Wait, Naruto," Hamako said before looking back at Haku."He is not actually dead, is he? It's just like Zabuza fake death."

Haku just looks at Hamako, not saying anything. Hamako nodded, seeing she was right just by the look.

"It's okay Sasuke is alive," Hamako said, making Naruto smile.

"I'm sorry, Zabuza-Sama, I have failed my propose..." Haku whispered sadly to himself.

"Why that guy anyway?" Naruto asked."Why follow someone like him? You said in the woods that true strength comes from having someone precious to protect. Well, if he's the most important person to you, then that's the sorriest thing I've ever heard!" Naruto yelled.

Haku looked up in surprise at Naruto. "You wish to hear my story?" He asked.

"It does help to let it out," Hamako said. "Keeping it bottle up sometimes makes it worse."

"Very well," Haku answered. "I once had others who were precious to me, my mother, and my father. But one day, I discovered I had a Kekkei Genkai, my Ice Style. When I showed it to my mother, she slapped me and said I was never to do it again, that my village and even my father would never understand. They hated the Ice Style ability and had previously killed all of my clan. But my father had seen me with her. With the village supporting him, he killed my mother and tried to kill me. I was so upset that my Ice Style killed them all. Thus began my torment." Haku said sadly. "For a while afterward, I lived on the streets, defending myself from wild dogs and stealing food from the trash. In the whole world, there was nobody who needed me. I was unnecessary, and that was worse pain than the cold, hunger, and the dogs combined."