Chapter 22

It was a very cold night when I arrived back home. At last, my work for today is done, I can finally rest, for now. Parking my car outside, I stepped out and locked the door. Putting my keys back in my pocket, I let out a sigh indicating my tiredness and begin to walk to the front door. Holding the doorknob, I silently turn it and pushed the door open.

"I'm home." I called out, though not as loud.

Silence, no one is on the first floor. They're probably already asleep since it's already late at night. I should at least check on them in their rooms before I head to mine. But before that, I should get something to drink first. Closing and locking the door behind, I quietly made my way to the kitchen. The whole place is dark, so I need to be careful while I try to find the lights to turn them on.

"For years I've been living here, I still don't know where the switch is located. Geez.." I mumbled.

Once I finally found the switch, I flipped it and the lights turned on. Though the moment I was able to see everything, what I didn't expect to see first when I got in the kitchen was Sylvia all sound asleep, resting her arms and legs on the dining table.

I checked the area to see if anyone else is around and turns out, it was only the two of us. Observing her sleeping body, I put down my things and walked straight to her. Just what could she be doing to end up sleeping in the kitchen? Gently sliding my arms on her back and legs, I slowly lift her up and walk my way upstairs, preventing to make any noise. As much as I wanted to stay quiet, the creaking sound of the wooden steps aren't helping. I knew I should've made it into cemented ones instead, why do I even have to let that darn Emma decide what my house design would be..

Luckily, she only made a few, small movements and didn't wake up. Upon reaching the second floor, I make my way to her room and quietly open the door. I enter inside and gently placed her down on her bed, out of my own interest, I took this moment to stare at Sylvia's sleeping form once more. I know if people see me watching her sleep, I'd be entitled as a total creep. But I couldn't help myself, she's pretty even while sleeping, I have to admit.

Wait a minute. Why am I doing this? You're being a total creep right now, watching a woman in her sleep is just improper unless you are her parent, which you're not. I silently facepalm and walked out of the room, closing the door along the way. I think it's time for me to get changed and head to bed as well, I've had enough for today. Just as I was about to head towards my room, a voice was heard from behind.

"Daddy?" I turn around to see it was Blake, standing as she hugs her small stuffed toy.

"Did I wake you up?" I spoke, approaching her and kneeling down.

"No.. I was waiting for you." She said.

"You know I would always come home late. You should already be asleep at this hour, you and your sisters still have school tomorrow." I said.

"I know, but I want you to put me to sleep. It's scary when you're not here." Her face expresses a sad one.

"Alright, come here." I spreads my arms for her to embrace me.

She goes to me and I lift her up, we went inside the girls' shared bedroom and I gently placed Blake on her bed. Tucking her under the blanket, I began to tell her a bedtime story. A story which she knew and has read in one of her books many times already, yet still likes it. Once she finally falls asleep, I pushed her hair out of her face and smiled. I get out of the room as quietly as I could and went inside my bedroom, where Ruby is peacefully slumbering in her crib.

Changing my set of clothes, I sat on my bed and let out a sigh not loud enough to wake Ruby up. Now all of that are done, it's time for me to worry about that woman who made an unanswered appearance. So she said her daughter was kidnapped by me even if I didn't do such a horrid act.

What raises the question though is that it's already been a year since the girls were adopted by me. How could they had just come in and accused me for taking their child? Not to mention that woman doesn't seem to look close to one of the girls, so it must've been a misunderstanding. But it still confuses me why did she targeted me for kidnapping. I wonder who really is that woman and what happened to her kid? I'll be able to find it out sooner, I guess.

For now, I should get some sleep. I still need to get to work early.

.....

The next day arrived and I had finished getting ready to go back to my work while the girls are waiting to go to school. Once we're all set, we stepped out of the house, waved farewell at Sylvia and Ruby before getting inside the car. Our driver started the car and drove off, heading to the school.

Throughout the whole ride, the two of us had only been discussing on what schedule he should pick me up once I'm done with work and as well as fetching the kids from school.

"Sir, I heard from one of your colleagues. There was a woman who caused a disturbance and mess in your office?" He asked.

"It's not a surprise you found out about that. Though she did actually. I didn't know who she was but it involves one of the girls." I looked at the three children behind us through the mirror.

"That seems suspicious. Who in the right would just bust in an office and blurt out nonsense such as that?" He chuckled.

"She must've did that out of anger. And I think she'll be suing me today, so wish me luck on that." I said.

"Who was angry, daddy?" Weiss asked.

"Ah, it's none of your concern, Weiss. Kids like you shouldn't get involved into adult discussions." I retorted.

"Adults sure are boring! All they do is keep secrets from us. Hmph!" Yang crosses her arms and fumes come out of her ears.

"You're a headstrong girl so I won't bother replying to that." I mumbled for her to not hear it.

About a few more minutes pass by the car stopped at the school and the girls got out of the vehicle. We waved goodbye at each other before they sprint inside the school grounds. The car starts to move again and then it arrives in front of the building where I work at. I gave my driver a farewell and got outside the car before heading inside the building.

On my way to my office, my employees who I pass by begin to greet me. And I happily greet them back, I got to my office by using the elevator and entered inside. It was more neat and clean than yesterday. Another outstanding job they did, always impressing me lime this.

"Excuse me sir. I know that you had just arrived but, someone has made an appointment to speak with you." One of my employees knocks on the open door.

"And who might it be?" I asked.

"It's... the woman who unexpectedly came here yesterday." She said in a sort of unsettled way.

"All right. I'll let you know if she's allowed to come here to talk with me. I needed to do something first." I said.

"Yes, sir." She bowed a little and left.

"Hmm... I didn't expect that woman to come here as calmly to speak with me unlike yesterday." I said to no one.