Chapter 28

The busy day went by and a while had passed. Almost the whole day, the police station and everyone working in it were all occupied that Y/N was waiting in the lobby for a whole hour with Ruby. The guy on the counter kept telling them to wait for the person they were waiting for but he has grew quite impatient. He was gonna decide to leave and head home then visit again another time when finally, she arrived.

"Sir, the person you're looking for had arrived. I'll inform her that you need to speak with her and she'll be here in a moment." The officer spoke to him.

"All right. Thank you... geez, I thought all of that waiting would be for nothing." He said the last part more quietly.

He headed back to the waiting lobby and patiently awaits for the person a second time. Ruby sat down on his father's lap, fidgeting with the toy in her hands.

From the other side of the station, three police officers are seen heading inside the facility after a long day of work. One of them was given a box of donuts by another colleague of theirs.

"The chief says good work, you all deserve some donuts." He smiles.

"Oh sweet! This is why I love working here, thank you!" One of the three said as he takes one.

"Make sure to save some for me." The policewoman told him.

"Sure I'll save one for you... I'm kidding, I'm kidding!" He immediately took back his word after he receives a death glare from her.

"By the way, Summer. I heard that someone was looking for you, can you meet them at the lobby?" The guy mentioned.

"Oh? Do you know who could they be?" She asked.

"No.. but he looks like he's some fancy-ass rich guy from the neighboring city, he's with a kid too." He hummed.

"I'll be seeing them in a minute, I just need to report something to the chief." She said.

"Better make it quick, they've been waiting for you for an hour."

"All.. right, I'll be done asap." The woman then rushed to the office.

She entered inside the chief's office and called out for the owner of the said room. The chair turned around and there the chief is seen sitting down, munching down on a donut.

"Chief, I'm here for my reports about the ongoing case." The woman stood straight.

"Oooh! How was it?" The rather short sized high ranker raised her head in curiosity.

"You see... I was only able to gather very little information connected to it, I've written them down." She grabs a notepad from her pocket and moved closer to the desk to give the paper to her.

The chief took the notepad with her free hand and inspected it, her face shows a very curious expression. After reading all the contents, she finished the donut and returned the notepad to her.

"Hmmm. These aren't enough info to solve this long-term case, but... I appreciate your hard work!" The chief beamed at her.

"Thank you, ma'am. I don't care how long this takes to solve it, I'll keep going. And I am grateful that you didn't decide to overlook this." She smiles.

"A police's job is to solve 'all' crimes. And defeat criminals!" The chief attempts to stand up from her chair but lost balance and ended up falling back down.

"Even now, I still question that our chief is a middle schooler." She laughed.

"I'm a prodigy! Hehe." She sheepishly scratches her head.

"I don't think that's how it works, still."

"Want a donut?" She offers her box of donuts.

"Ah, no thanks. I'm gonna get going now, I still need to meet someone." She declined.

"Aye! Well, bye-bye!" The chief proceeds to turn back and munched on the remaining donuts.

Summer stepped out of the office then hastily walked to the lobby, not wanting the person waiting for her to grow more impatient that they already were. She arrived at the lobby, at last. Looking around the crowded place for the person looking for her.

Within the crowd, she noticed a fellow policeman point towards her, catching her attention. Making her way to them, she couldn't believe what was there before her. It was too good to be true. The two adults noticed her presence and the officer left, letting them do what they need to do alone.

"Good afternoon, ma'am. Judging by the looks, you must be Summer, correct?" Y/N says as he holds Ruby within his arms.

"Ruby...?"

.....

The two sat down on a vacant bench just outside the facility. The 2 year old child playing between them. Y/N observes the woman, noticing that she was about to burst into tears.

"S.. So, this whole time my sweet, adorable child was under your care while I've been spending months, trying to find her and solve other cases related to children's disappearance..." She muttered.

"But, at least I know that she's safe this whole time." Summer caressed Ruby's head, smiling.

"It's good to know that you didn't abandon her... though I ended up adopting her, so she's officially my child now." Y/N sighed, crossing his arms.

"Huh? Adopted?.. Wait! How was that possible? You could've returned her to me when you found her..!" Summer was obviously taken back by his statement.

"I would have, but the thing is, she along with three other kids appeared before my doorstep. I headed to the municipal hall to gather info about them but turns out, there's none. Like they only came to existence the moment I found them." He explained.

"That's ridiculous, how could that be even possible..? Hold on... unless the culprit may be working directly within the government." Summer wondered.

"I'm.. not so sure about that. It's concerning that the government had to alter info on just newborn children and toddlers." Y/N shook his head.

"That can be possible! Many weird things happen in this world! Like our chief is literally a middle schooler!"

"A what..?" His face shows extreme confusion.

"It's true! You can even see her for yourself! She gives us her subordinates free donuts as rewards for our good work too." She seemed enthusiastic saying this.

"Okayyy.. hearing how they act sure concerns me even more..."

"Good work!" Ruby joined in, raising her arms up and balling her hands into fists.

"Ruby, don't join in like that.." He facepalmed.

"Ooooh, even after being separated for a long time, you're still as cute as ever!" Summer hugged her finally found long-lost daughter.

"Dada.. she also my mama?" Ruby asked.

"Yes, Rubes. She's your real mom."

"Then... dada will marry new mama too?!" Ruby's eyes sparkled in anticipation.

"..."

"..."

...