Episode 9 - The Day Before

Start from the beginning

The camera zoomed in onto the shard of mirror the man was holding. Nice handwriting.

"She would be a good fighter against EMBER. Smart, calculated..." Arlo muttered to himself.

I smirked. "What? Have a little crush on the new Superheroine? You always did like the girls with long hair, didn't you? And not to mention, she's pretty too."

"What? When did I say that?" He exclaimed, irritated at my comment. "I'm just saying that she might be someone worth recruiting with the whole EMBER situation."

"Funny. When did you ever start caring about Superheroes? Much less the students in Wellston." I asked as I took a sip from my milk tea boba.

"I do care, Seraphina. It's not like I don't want to care." Arlo sighed. "And to answer your question about Superheroes, Elaine, Blyke, Isen, and I are becoming one."

"What?" I laughed. But it wasn't a scared-to-death laugh. More like from surprise. It was a ridiculous idea. At least for someone like him. "You're kidding. You? Seriously? Mr. Good Little Boy Who Listens To His Elders? It's funny, really. An image of you defying the law just popped into my mind. And it's so weird. I'll admit, I'm quite impressed with you."

Arlo crossed his arms, raising an eyebrow at me. "Okay, what is even with that nickname? Besides, how is it so weird? Why am I the weird one for suggesting that?"

Is he even serious about it? Or is this some kind of joke?

"Because, Prissy, it's not like you." I took on another nickname of mine that I had for Arlo. "What are you even doing? Are you trying to pull a Blyke and Isen or something? Because only those two idiots would come up with a stupid plan like that. Elaine would be crying her eyes out about how dangerous the situation is, Blyke and Isen are the said idiots who came up with the plan, Remi would agree and join in, and you'd be trying to stop them and their chaotic energy."

"Damn, you're blunt." Arlo said truthfully.

"If you're really that serious about this, then go for it." I shrugged my shoulders. "All I'm saying is this. Honey, you've got a big storm coming."

"Oh, god." He put a hand to his head, sighing. "You did not just say that."

"I just did." I grinned, then frowned. "Why are you so hung up about this anyway? 'It's not our problem to look into things like this. The authorities will handle it.' That's what you always say. You always give shit to Remi about these Superheroes. Why interested in them now?"

Arlo breathed out. "It's because Remi's still playing Superhero."

"Huh?" I was certainly shocked.

Remi. She told me back then that she stopped searching for EMBER because Blyke and Isen convinced her that it was too dangerous. But then again, she never was one to listen.

"I'm only doing this because we have no other choice." Arlo continued on. "It's not like I actually want to become a target to these people. But it's not like I have much choice. What else could the rest of us do? Waltz into her room and give a heartfelt speech about why she shouldn't avenge her brother? She won't listen and we won't get anything done."

I thought deeply about this plan for a moment, putting a finger to my chin.

"You seem like you have everything under control, but there's one problem in your little let's-become-heroes scheme, Arlo." I told him.

"And that is?" He asked.

"Well, let's say if you really do find Remi when you're fighting out on the streets. What will you do then?" I responded. "What if she's in the middle of a fight? Or maybe one of you for that matter? This is the exact problem with knowing each other. If you're not strangers, then the person who'll fight Remi will surely notice. And it's not like you can convince her while she's out there either. Like you said, she's stubborn. Besides, you guys dressed in those outfits and activating your ability like it's a toy will raise suspicions to her. It'll contradict why you're there in the first place. So, tell me. What are you going to do when that time comes by?"