Episode 21 - Who Exactly Is EMBER?

Remi's POV

Blyke's Room, Wellston Boys' Dormitories, 11:32PM

"Who exactly is EMBER, huh?" Arlo recalled to himself. "That's a really difficult question."

"Dammit!" Isen spat curses to himself. "This just gets more complicated as the days go by! I seriously didn't expect that we'd see a real live member of EMBER today!"

"Calm down, dude." Blyke put a hand on Isen's shoulder. "We didn't know that we'd see someone like her. This mission was supposed to be another criminal catch."

"You're completely missing the point, Blyke." The boy responded to the redhead. "I'm not just concerned about that. Didn't you hear what that lady said? She said Volcan's name."

"I know, but we have to-"

"Who's Volcan?" The three of us suddenly turned our heads to see John ask us innocently. "She seems to be quite a big deal to you guys. You met her before?"

Right...I forgot. We didn't tell John about her.

"Sorry..." I apologized to him. "Yes, we know Volcan. Back when I was only working with Blyke and Isen on our Superhero mission, we ended up meeting that woman. From what I remember, she had blonde hair that was tied up in a bun on top of her head, a black hat, a gray mask that covered her nose and mouth, and basically a whole black outfit in general."

...

"She...was also the one who killed my brother..." I gravely added.

The room immediately went silent.

"I'm sorry." I apologized again, feeling tears prick at the sides of my eyes. "That was stupid of me to say. All you need to know is that she's a danger to us."

"No...you don't have to apologize." John said with a hint of sympathy in his voice. "It must've been really hard for you to cope. I should be sorry too. Before our fight when I was Joker, I told your brother that he could go to hell, right? I was out of line then. I'm really sorry for your loss."

...

I tried to make my frown into a gentle smile. "It's okay. I'm just happy that you retracted your statement from earlier."

"So, this Volcan woman is the root of it all?" John questioned. "You know, EMBER in general?"

My eyes turned to look at my lap. "We're not exactly sure. Volcan was our only lead to EMBER in the beginning, but now we have more information this time. That other woman, Jane. She was clearly talking to her over the phone. I'm almost certain that she's also a member."

"Mmm." John voiced aloud in a thoughtful manner. "So, what we've gathered so far...Volcan seems to be a vital member of EMBER, possibly even the leader of the entire operation. Based on seeing Jane, there are more people than we think who are strong. We're talking about an organization filled to the brim with high tiers and there even might be a couple of god-tiers."

I nodded to the points he made. "Yep. That's basically the gist of it."

"Geez, this makes things so much more complicated!" Isen hung back his head, complaining about the situation. "We had to deal with the demon that is Volcan, but now we have to deal with the whole shebang? When will this nightmare end?"

...

"We need to find more members of EMBER. Let's keep at it at what we're doing and see if we're able to search for more. I know if we keep on going, we can defeat them." I spoke up.